Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More

69. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 18:10 Vall Forran

feral.fury wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 17:31:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 16:55:
BobBob wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 15:39:
10 to 20 years from now video games hyped today will be found at a thrift shop or downloadable from an online retro-archive. Meanwhile, other companies are working on exploring real outer space in order for humanity to colonize Mars and beyond. The consequences of which will likely alter human evolution. You can put your time, energy, and money debating over and playing a virtual game or educating yourself and getting involved in STEM. "Spent X amount of hours playing a virtual space pilot", will neither have a positive impact on a resume nor will it impress a potential investor.

When we were kids, Star Trek inspired countless thousands to study STEM topics, especially astronomy, physics, aerospace engineering and the like. Star Wars inspired thousands of people to join the entertainment industries, inspiring directors, novelists, graphic artists and many other professions. Back then we had movies and TV, today we have video games. Elite is our Star Trek, Star Citizen our Star Wars, and Chris Roberts our George Lucas.

Star Trek was all about exploration of space and exploration of humanity...I think Elite:D is missing the humanity part

Elite has the flight mechanics and galaxy built. I just don't think they care about building story-based missions. It's all procedural. I love that game, but I kind of want something more "personal".

Their attempts for "power play" are just more procedural grinding nonsense. It really is a game designed to be enjoyed just flying around.

Star Citizen is trying to do something more. But it's SO MUCH MORE that it doesn't seem believable.

I am building a game reel...trying to transition from movies to games. A fucking small ship...I've spent 3 weeks just designing the basic room space.

They have my sympathy, and with 200+ employees, the progress seems about right.

I'm using Houdini to make stuff that is procedural and easy to change on the fly. But that takes a lot more time to set up. Afterwards, if I decide that I want to change a brick scale, I can do so without having to start over. Other programs can't do that (without starting over).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More

64. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 16:59 Vall Forran

Arena Commander is better than most released games? Does this guy have a proof reader?

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month

98. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 17:35 Vall Forran

I bought the starter ship thing. That will never be useful. Then I got drunk a few times and saw a credit card bill for one of the fighter ships. I'd say I've spent ~$100.  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer

10. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 01:10 Vall Forran

Keilun wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 00:53:
Vall Forran wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 20:27:
Rome 2 was so horrible that I cannot fathom spending money on this game for a long, long time.

I've tried both Medieval 2, Napoleon and Shogun 2 and each time I played it, I didn't enjoy it. I think a lot of it was that I ran into a lot of bugs especially in Shogun 2. But the games get glowing reviews so there's clearly another audience out there that this is catered to and maybe I just don't fit into that category.

I do like Warhammer though. Too bad it's in a TW game.

Rome 2 was pretty much their first ever fubar... I pre-ordered it because the games are always tight. Each game is more like an iteration with tightened up mechanics. Rome 2 tried a whole bunch of new stuff and wrapped it in a broken engine.

It took me two weeks to get through the TUTORIAL without something borking out. I think they fixed it now, but at the time, you couldn't progress to the proper game unless you play the dumb prologue tutorial campaign all the way through.

Probably means this game will rock, as two fails in a row would destroy CA's reputation forever. Still...ten foot pole engaged.

Edit:

Shogun 2 is still my favorite. Such a beautiful game.

News Comments > Op Ed

20. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2015, 21:09 Vall Forran

It seems he spends money on lawyers and investigators, then writes an inflammatory article as a form of advertising?

I agree, why not spend that money on making a game looking like 2015 standards?

That said, I find it interesting to see what happens next. Popcorn

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer

2. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer Jul 17, 2015, 20:27 Vall Forran

Rome 2 was so horrible that I cannot fathom spending money on this game for a long, long time.  

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns

146. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 19:53 Vall Forran

I am hopeful SC comes out, just to make DSmart's butt hurt. He can't make an epic space game, so no one can.

Edit: And if SC comes out in the most broken form, it will be 100x more playable that Sir Lord Smart's games.

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns

78. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 17:31 Vall Forran

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

You will win your argument despite whatever happens. The game never comes out...you win (Huge win...I guess). The game comes out..."It's shit because blah blah blah. (You win again trollish-ly). Seriously, *People* loved Pillar, then beat it and decided it was a terrible game.

And you wonder why devs think of us as wet shit.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended

32. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jul 1, 2015, 04:08 Vall Forran

Hmm. I will pay attention next time. The "hitching" is usually me crashing into a wall. So, maybe I'm not quite there yet.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2015, 04:48.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended

30. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 30, 2015, 19:08 Vall Forran

Sounds like it's not optimized to shitty computers. Hahaha. I'm "sort of joking", have a new comp, the game runs fucking amazingly.  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth E3 Trailer

2. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth E3 Trailer Jun 30, 2015, 18:09 Vall Forran

I wish I could go back in time and slap myself when I thought buying this game was a good idea.  

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M

2. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 18:08 Vall Forran

I hope he toned down, but the word was he was fucking tearing up Vegas a few months ago.

If I were in his place, I'd probably be dead.

News Comments > Scrolls Closing

13. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 18:54 Vall Forran

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:50:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:47:
Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:38:
Oh and in a time where Hearthstone is the #4th most-watched game on twitch (47,132 people currently watching people play a card game, pfft). yeah... best not to bother.

Maybe they thought they couldn't compete and needed all that money for their Win10 marketing blitz.

shit yeah, when you drop 2.5b on 2 IPs, you can't be expected to pay $50,000 for an online ad-campaign. Somehow the Kate Upton shovelware game has all the ads in the world, and last I heard they have a zillion players.

You're lamenting monetary gains between mobile games and pc games. Good luck with that. I can show you to a rubber room to express your anger.

Edit:

I'm not trying to piss you off. All my friends from Dreamworks now work at fucking Zynga. These are people that brought you How to Train Your Dragon.

9. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 18:46 Vall Forran

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:38:
Vall Forran wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:32:
MindStalker3 wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:24:
Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:03:
Wow, that investment is really paying off, huh Microsoft? Ahhahahahaha!

They purchased mojang for the minecraft trademark. Nothing more or less.

Agreed. Cutter is just being an asshole.

I didn't say it made sense. But, seriously, scrolls was never going to be popular. All I meant was in the mega-microsoft market they cut their losses.

yeah... putting an ounce of marketing behind the OTHER ip you just bought for $2.5b would be silly.

ESPECIALLY if it's from the hottest devs on the planet, who's other title is the most popular game in the world. Oh and in a time where Hearthstone is the #4th most-watched game on twitch (47,132 people currently watching people play a card game, pfft). yeah... best not to bother.

"and now presenting, the CCG from legendary studio who brough you minecraft, SCROLLS!" see what i did there? that's more marketing than that game ever received.

Oh well, I have 3 of every card in the game, I beat it. it was 2 short years, but I had a lot of fun doing it. It will be missed.

Scrolls may be a good game, but it will never be popular. Microsoft just cut it as a bottom line thing. I'd probably do the same thing.

7. removed Jun 29, 2015, 18:32 Vall Forran

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 30, 2015, 07:09.

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays

50. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 17:33 Vall Forran

It does strike me as weird that he's mo-capping stuff. Shouldn't you, ya know, build the space game first? Then add the cutscenes? The space marine fps is the least interesting part of the game to me, so meh.

He's got a crazy operation going. I'm pretty sure it'll come through, eventually. I'm not hung up on delays, especially since they seem to be measured in months as opposed to years.

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds

23. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 25, 2015, 18:40 Vall Forran

Game runs great on my, admittedly, new machine. I will say, goddamn the facial animation is terrible. It's circa 2002. Half the time, Batman's lips never move. And when they do, his face never deforms. It reminds me of the original Deus Ex.

Other than that, super fun awesome game.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues

23. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Jun 23, 2015, 13:43 Vall Forran

I played it for a couple hours last night without any major issues. The FPS lock at 30 is dumb, but it's easy to adjust it in the .ini file. I set mine to max out at 120 and haven't had any problems.

I have everything set to max and get ~79fps on average.

The batmobile is so freaking amazing!

Edit: I also updated my nvidia drivers while the game was preloading, so afaik, I have everything up to date.

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Launch Trailer

2. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Launch Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 12:54 Vall Forran

The voice over guy is Mike from Breaking Bad. Hells yes.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash

42. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 19:21 Vall Forran

Been out of the loop, but wasn't GW2 released about 4 years ago? And have been doing steady content updates for free?

I thought their whole business plan was no sub fees, but you buy expansions.

Is this the first expansion?

I tried to re-play about six months ago, but A-net locked my account because they always do that when I stop playing. I wasn't interested enough to jump through the hoops for a third time.

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >