Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer

63. Re: On the upside Oct 9, 2015, 17:37 Vall Forran

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 15:03:
Slashman wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 14:31:
ELITE wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 13:35:
On the upside these guys weren't working on the new Star Wars movie.

For some reason I'm kind of optimistic for the new Star Wars movie. I want to believe...

With JJ Lamebrams? The guy is just another Michael Bay who doesn't understand the draw of the original material. Just look at how he butchered Star Trek. Star Wars is pretty bad to begin with and he's only going to make it worse. It'll be nothing more than another action/theme park/merchandising geared POS.

Lol. I'd love to say what a dolt you are, but I can't really even remotely give away any info. Besides, you hate everything, so why even bother?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit

213. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 8, 2015, 17:37 Vall Forran

ShadyPete wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 17:00:
Flatline wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 16:42:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 16:31:
But seriously, did you actually bring up Freespace Open in a topic about Star Citizen? At least Elite: Dangerous is in the same ballpark; Freespace Open looks like it's from the 90s... because it is.

20 years and 100 million dollars later and I still enjoy the combat in Freespace 2 more than Arena Commander.

Wow Volition released the source in 2002? Absolutely loved Freespace and Freespace 2..

Check out Diaspora. It's a Battlestar Gallactica Total Conversion. Uses open source Freespace 2 engine, with graphics that are pretty good. Not E:D, but lightyears above Freespace 2. It's also free....and really fricking hard.

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist

88. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 23:13 Vall Forran

dsmart wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 22:24:
By the end of the year, the decision will be made how to chop up the game in order to deliver something.

You heard it here first.

You talking about your own game?

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist

74. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 17:42 Vall Forran

This will be why no one ever does "Open Dev Reports" again. You guys are just spewing feces...for a game the majority of you have claimed you will never play.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"

167. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 5, 2015, 20:09 Vall Forran

dsmart wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 17:07:
in space noone can here you threaten a lawsuit

star citizen lawsuits and journalism ethics

He's baaaack!

Edit:
I love watching those videos where people actually try to play Line of Defense. But they can't. Obvs their fault. You're not playing it right. Then, you should pay more to get more...what?

Orly Taitz indeed.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2015, 20:15.

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit

157. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 19:17 Vall Forran

My favorite quote is from the lawyer dissection..."Derek Smart is the Orly Taitz of video games." May not be 100% word for word, but it's the jist.

So true.

And can't get over how broken Sir Derek Smart's game is. Hilarious.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"

62. Re: Cloud Imperium Games employee Reviews Oct 2, 2015, 00:26 Vall Forran

More clickbait. WTG Blue.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship

189. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 19:07 Vall Forran

Replayed Mass Effect 2 the other day. I was astounded at how many times that crate asset was used. They even used it to build walls!

I can totally see how CR is now all, "Movie production modelling for games!". Modelers over-model EVERYTHING now. It's super annoying to get passed off that asset. You literally spend a day stripping it down so you can interact with it.

The helicarriers for Winter Soldier still give me nightmares.

181. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 17:22 Vall Forran

Still don't get bluesnews. They trash Dsmart until his hatred for a project aligns with theirs. Then he's a "respected developer of games". I respect theyarecomingforyou holding the line...but it's silly. Zero-sum game. They are criticizing a pre-alpha game and vomiting everywhere. Boo! It's taking too long to make!

Starcraft 2 took ages to make, and they divided it into 3 episodes. The story was shit, they spent all their time on polish...which means multiplayer balance.

If fallout 4 publishes a weekly journal about how their production got fucked, you all would go insane. The double edged sword of crowd sourcing.

At this point, the black knights and white knights need to hate fuck and then go to blissful sleep.

...In my industry it takes us awhile to get going, but when we have a week left with 100 shots to go, we crank them out. By then, the tools are in place and we've iterated a million times. The thought that you think the process is linear is cute.

127. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 20:08 Vall Forran

I echo Blue's statement...I want wing commander in today's tech.

Limit Theory looks cool, but the guy developing it went insane and is recovering. The Rodina demo was not to my liking. No Man's Sky looks like a poor man's Elite.

Eve Valkyrie looks interesting, if it will ever come out. The others I'll have to look up...haven't heard of them. Thanks for the list!

News Comments > WildStar Free-to-Play Launches

26. Re: WildStar Free-to-Play Launches Sep 29, 2015, 20:22 Vall Forran

Kxmode wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 16:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 16:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 16:01:
Not sure how GW's is even in a FTP list, since it isn't FTP.
Maybe you missed it, the whole base game of GW2 is free now.

Exactly. Like free-free. Like totally free. Like absolutely no fine print. No ulterior motives. No gotcha. Zip, Zilch, Nada. FREE as in the wind blows free. FREE!

Did I mention its free?

It's mostly free. Unless you need to mail stuff to a friend. It's understandable why they would limit that feature to curb gold farmers trading over free accounts.

So far, that and not being able to go to Lion's Arch until you're lvl 35 are the only limits I've noticed.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?

86. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 18:15 Vall Forran

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 16:04:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 15:17:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 14:03:
Yeesh, burning through $3.5M a month? That sounds high for a company of 250 people. Assume an average salary of $80K, then another $1000 per person per month for office space, equipment, travel, etc., that's only about $2M ($7700/month/person).

For one I believe $80K is too low. Don't ask me where but I read somewhere (a reputable source) a couple years ago that game producers usually calculate with approximately $120K/employee total cost so that includes your $1K/month for other stuff.
Also, in SC's case, well, who knows what the "Chairman's" monthly salary is? Maybe that's your missing million right there! Wink
Yeah, this article surveyed industry professionals and came up with an average salary of $83K. I tacked on $1000 per month to that per person, but maybe that's low. Let's assume $120K per person per year, everything included. That's $2.5M per month, still far short of $3.5M. The difference is at $2.5M per month they can work for 3 years. At $3.5M only two. I hope Chris has some outside investors lined up.

That's hilarious you think every video game artist gets $120k/year. The $83k/year actually sounds about right. But, you know, feel free to introduce more randomness into this mess of a thread.

News Comments > Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video

74. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 11, 2015, 17:00 Vall Forran

nin wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:56:
Vall Forran wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:53:
Thank you, for finally pointing out how Derek Smart is a fucking idiot developer. Look at his bullshit game on steam. It's rated "very negative".

And the most popular forum titles are all asking for refunds. Which he tells everyone to fuck off, but then Steam gives them refunds. In his semantics, he "can't" give refunds because Steam. But, he won't acknowledge he's made a shitty game and spent 5 years doing so.

So he goes off on Star Citizen? I grant that SC is a pipedream...but at least the modules they've released (ever delayed, yada yada) are actually PLAYABLE.

He's been making shit games for 20 years.

I know! And you're the only one who calls him on it! Hence...IGNORE hammer!

I just can't get over how many people just melt to him. "So Derek, how would "YOU" do SC and make it better?" Like that guy can actually lead a team to make something more than three people have the patience to play.

72. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 11, 2015, 16:55 Vall Forran

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:03:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 14:10:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 00:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 23:24:
Repeatedly saying "you know things" without mentioning what those "things" are, neither elevates your story nor helps your case.
Either lay it down or explain why you can't (court order, pending investigation, gag rule, NDA, NSA etc...)
We can handle the truth. Unless it's aliens, I don't think I could handle aliens.

The information is privileged. I am not authorized to disclose it publicly. But what I can say is it describes a treasure trove of shit happening inside CIG at all levels. The word that best sums up what's happening inside CIG is rudderless and that's putting it mildly. In case you need to know precisely what that means. "Lacking in direction, control, or coherence."
How convenient. Laugh

Do us all a favour a hire yourself a prostitute, as taking out your sexual frustration by criticising SC in every topic here is getting rather tedious.

Recommending someone commit a felonious act because they are criticizing what possibly could be felonious, defies reason.

But, prostitutes make everyone happy! For a few minutes...

71. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 11, 2015, 16:53 Vall Forran

Thank you, for finally pointing out how Derek Smart is a fucking idiot developer. Look at his bullshit game on steam. It's rated "very negative".

And the most popular forum titles are all asking for refunds. Which he tells everyone to fuck off, but then Steam gives them refunds. In his semantics, he "can't" give refunds because Steam. But, he won't acknowledge he's made a shitty game and spent 5 years doing so.

So he goes off on Star Citizen? I grant that SC is a pipedream...but at least the modules they've released (ever delayed, yada yada) are actually PLAYABLE.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released

112. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 18:24 Vall Forran

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 14:35:
As there's been so much misinformation I thought I'd clear up a few points:

1) All the animations are temporary. They're being worked on for Star Marine and were recently transitioned to a new skeleton, meaning they've all had to be rebound.

2) There are going to be multiple planetside locations in each system, with some planets having multiple locations (Earth will have three, for instance). They are building the core assets (shops, materials, etc) and will create a unique feel for each location. I haven't seen any figure for the number of planetside locations but I'd expect there to be 200+. CIG has released the first footage of Nyx, which is the next location that is due out later this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4-loB94HIg

3) This is the first release with character customisation. Players can press F6 when in their hangar to change between the six loadouts (Outlaw Light/Medium/Heavy and Marine Light/Medium/Heavy).

4) The server errors aren't being caused by server load, as they're hosted by Google and have plenty of capacity. There are some backend issues that cause servers to believe they're full when they're not. Based on the forum topic it seems that most of the people with issues are running Windows 10.

PS - It's no surprise to see the usual trolls in this topic.

You had me until you blamed everything on windows 10.

Of course the animations are temporary. As much as Derek Smart sucks, for some reason he pushed this forward in CIG. And, seriously, the comments are insane.

My favorite was someone (or maybe a couple combined) saying, "It's ridiculously over-modeled, tell me how you'd do it as a game designer, Derek Smart." Seriously? His graphics are ten years behind ten years ago. Windows ten helps because you can put that game on a separate desktop and skirt the game trying to overpower your alt-tab focus. He seriously expects you to "print" out hundreds of pages of instructions

Also...have you played the Mass Effect games? There is one crate used liberally throughout the game. Have you noticed in games the first levels where you walk around are super detailed? Then you get a few hours in, suddenly not so much?

The over-modeled hub? There are hundreds of assets there. Games have this new ability to take said assets and apply slightly different materials to them.

So, come on, the building blocks are there. Holding up to the weird hundreds of stations thing is crazy, but they have enough assets to make various stations. Elite is completely procedural, except for the stations. They have to model that...there's about 10 variations.

I'm not sure if you know how to model, but the pros, with concept art and assets, can fucking wreck shit. In movies now, in fx we actually curse the modelers. They model every screw in he helicarrier in avengers. Loading it means walking away for 30 minutes.

The fact that they did this isn't what I would call "over modeling". I'd call it "progress". And it still runs at 60 fps on my machine.

And you pros know, the last few months are spent stripping all the cool effects out to gain overall fps.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 30, 2015, 22:46 Vall Forran

Yeah, I just picked this back up. This is the only game I come back to after taking 6-12 months off. They really tightened up the pvp. The rewards now directly funnel what would be pve grinding.

The whole game is very slick.

38. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 21:29 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 20:53:
So how big is the total SC install now? 60 gigs?

It's about 32gb or so. They still make you completely re-download the game with a torrent connection. Unless you really want to immerse yourself in the extra 15 minutes of content, I'd say hit up youtube.

37. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 21:22 Vall Forran

DangerDog wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 20:53:
Vall Forran wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 20:31:
Finally got in without timing out. God damn, I'm impressed! The fidelity of the hub is amazing. No wonder it's taking so long for them to roll out stuff...

It looks very Mass Effect but with the clutter and immersive atmosphere of Deus Ex. The cityscapes look amazing. I was always dissapointed that Mass Effect always cheated with a blurry window over looking a matte painting with sprite vehicles flying around.

Star Citizen has fully modeled skyscrapers with a very realistic urban sprawl connecting everything together.

I don't know why they called it the "social module". They should just call it the "hub" or something. The social part -- there's no chat function that I could find -- just has a bunch of identical dudes running around in various states of lag.

F12 to enable IRC mode

don't forget to

/dance
/dance
/dance

Oh, that must be it. F12 is double bound then...it re-centers my track ir. All these acronyms... Elite was pretty good about this, everything has a procedure but you can actually understand what something does through the gui text.

32. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 20:31 Vall Forran

Finally got in without timing out. God damn, I'm impressed! The fidelity of the hub is amazing. No wonder it's taking so long for them to roll out stuff...

It looks very Mass Effect but with the clutter and immersive atmosphere of Deus Ex. The cityscapes look amazing. I was always dissapointed that Mass Effect always cheated with a blurry window over looking a matte painting with sprite vehicles flying around.

Star Citizen has fully modeled skyscrapers with a very realistic urban sprawl connecting everything together.

I don't know why they called it the "social module". They should just call it the "hub" or something. The social part -- there's no chat function that I could find -- just has a bunch of identical dudes running around in various states of lag.

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >