Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Infinity: Battlescape Video; Kickstarter Plans

3. Re: Infinity: Battlescape Video; Kickstarter Plans Oct 19, 2015, 14:31 Vall Forran

I'm all for more space games!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update

53. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 13:59 Vall Forran

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:38:
I'm sure someone has already posted this but:

Pay attention to your quantum fuel tank reserves? DO THEY NOT UNDERSTAND THIS NEEDS TO BE FUN? How is shitty resource management like space fuel fun? Do you know why no other space ship simulation does space fuel? BECAUSE IT ROBS AWAY FROM THE FUN OF THE GAME!

Elite has space fuel. They had to do a lot of tweaking to get it right. Now, it's pretty cheap and there's even ships designed as fuel haulers that you can call to deliver you fuel should you run out. There's also fuel scoops, so if you want to explore out into no-man's land, you find certain stars to gather from. Fuel also counts towards your weight, so if you're only jumping a few hops away for a cargo delivery, deliberately carrying less fuel means you can jump a farther distance, culling some time from your run.

There's a "simulation" part to the game a lot of people like. It's not for everyone, but some people don't just want to just dogfight.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Landing Video

28. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Landing Video Oct 16, 2015, 18:50 Vall Forran

Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 18:27:
Jackplug wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:22:
He may not have 93million dollars to play with, but for the amount that he did have, he is doing a bloody good job of it and its out to play now. Just a shame that is isn't a huge online multiplayer game.

No it's a shame they didn't ship it offline with an editor like they said they would and it was all just a lie. They'd have an amazing game on their hands right now if they had actually done that because people would be creating content for it like mad. Oh well, stupid them.

They'd also break the game and FD would have to refocus on fixing that instead of working on new content. They are building the game exactly the opposite of SC and you still whine about it. They have a solid foundation and are moving forward. There's online and offline, but both affect the galaxy's politics. There's about four people in the world that don't have internet (that want to play E:D)...

The politic system, like or hate it, and the community goals requires the whole game to be online. You can do offline, but you still need to register with the galaxy.

Imagine adding mods that that. How would that even work? You want some fractured Minecraft bullshit where mods only work on certain versions of the game controlled by another "forge" mod?

Elite updates to the current version automatically. It's very clean. You're basically asking for a feature that would destroy the game since they'd have to rip apart the code. I'm sorry they wrote "offline editor", but, wow, plans change...I'm sure you've never had to explain to someone why you changed your mind.

25. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Landing Video Oct 16, 2015, 17:42 Vall Forran

I need to pick this game back up again. Guild Wars 2 has sucked my life away.  

23. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Landing Video Oct 16, 2015, 17:20 Vall Forran

They make most of their money from the rollercoaster tycoon games I thought. Didn't know they did mobile, but who doesn't now?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access

143. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 19:52 Vall Forran

Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 18:29:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 17:25:
Full retard achieved! Grats!

Yeah. I thought so too. I was familiar with the battle between Derek and the Usenet forums, but I wasn't aware of all the details. What Bill helped me understand in his summary are the apparent double standards. For example I think it's very unfair to criticize CIG for taking 4-5 years to develop Star Citizen (a game with much greater level of complexity) and yet his game took 8 years to the point Take2 forced a release. Craziness

Um, yes? I'm confused. You are starting to make sense. I feel like I'm walking into a trap though.

139. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 17:25 Vall Forran

Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 14:40:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 07:44:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:59:
I've made repeated comments in the past that I do not dislike the game or hate it. I actually hope the game comes out. I'm not a troll, I'm a critic. A "Black Knight" critic. There's a huge difference between my level of criticism and Derek Smart's. We do not share the same ideology. As gamers, you and I, both want the same thing. We both want Star Citizen to succeed and be released. I just have a different perspective than you.
I don't have any tolerance for Derek Smart's absurd allegations. Most of his claims are demonstrably false or impossible to substantiate. There are plenty of legitimate concerns that can be brought up without referencing him and his trolling campaign. I think you'd do better to avoid mentioning him at all.

Is it okay to mention this?

New things I learned from that above link:

- BC3K began development in 1988 and was released in 1996 as an incomplete game. It was in development for 8 years.

- BC3K was picked and dropped by many publishers including Interplay, IntraCorp, Mission Studios, and Three Sixty Pacific. Take2 was the final publisher to pick up and release BC3K.

- In 1997 someone named Bill Huffman decided to investigate Derek's claim that his dissertation was published and listed. He asked a technical librarian to get a copy of Derek's dissertation on Artificial Intelligence in the United States or England at a cost of US$75 (US$111.19 in 2015). Later she sent him the results on her search stating nothing could be found at Dissertations Abstract Online and Sci Search, UMI - both on line and telephone, IEEE and IE(UK) database from 1988 forward, ACM Guide to all ACM Pubs, OCLC online, Stanford Technical papers database and Cambridge UK Technical papers database. She could not find any of Derek's papers. Now that's interesting. My understanding is someone who graduates with a PhD will have at least ONE published dissertation and all dissertations are typically listed somewhere for the public's access in both the U.S. and the U.K.

- I learned Bill Huffman put together an incredibly detailed website outlining all his research and facts surrounding Derek's PhD. Many of this is new to me and I've been around PC gaming since 1991.

- In an attempt to reach a magnanimous conclusion Bill reached out to Derek asking him to publicly state his "alma mater" was not accredited. In response Derek wrote "You, my friend, will *NEVER* get a free ticket out this unless you walk away - in defeat. ... I - will - make - you - pay. This, I promise." This led Bill to conclude Derek was perhaps threatening physical violence against him?

- In 1998 Derek claimed to be a member of MENSA (one of the largest and oldest high IQ society in the world) while in the UK. Someone called MENSA and found out that Derek wasn't a member.

Lots of eye opening, well researched information. Bill's post read almost precisely like Derek's blog about CIG... only it's about Derek Smart. I hope Derek and Bill came to an amiable resolution.

Full retard achieved! Grats!

138. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 17:24 Vall Forran

I love how he docks Gillian by $1 million for being a woman. Estimates, indeed!  

118. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 02:56 Vall Forran

loomy wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 02:39:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 11:40:
Dreagon wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 11:09:
I wonder how much of that money they're wasting on big actors?

Figure about 4-5 million per A-List actor for 4 months of voice acting and MoCap performance.

- Gary Oldman (5 million)
- Mark Hamill (5 million)
- Mark Strong (5 million)
- Gillian Anderson (4 million)
- Andy Serkis (5 million)

stop embarrassing yourself and stop posting in star citizen threads. honestly, stick to topics where we can't tell you're crazy. because now that I know, I won't be able to unsee it. you're ruined for me forever

Chris Rock made a famous joke at the Oscars about voice acting. Look it up. The punchline was that he made two million dollars for several hours of "work". I'm pretty sure the $2m is hyperbole. But that is a mega-studio franchise (Dreamworks-Madagascar), not a video game. Kxmode went off the deep end. Take a deep breath, please regain some sanity.

117. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 02:41 Vall Forran

Great White Shark wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 23:40:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 20:45:
The anger in this thread is definitely palpable to say the least.

I think you mistake anger for people just being worn out on your tired schtick. You saying other people are too emotional is rich when you have dedicated yourself to obsessively posting about this subject, in a very one sided manner no less. Take a peek in the mirror.

I love your posts. You are kind of like a light side Cutter.

95. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 19:53 Vall Forran

Midnight wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 19:35:
I'm getting a slightly desperate vibe from this press release. Maybe CIG has seen a sharp drop in sales or an increase in refunds this past few weeks, and suddenly realized that they might indeed be having a budgetry problem?

Still waiting on my refund.

I think it's a PR course correction from their threatening to sue Escapist and basically sounding like asshats. Not a bad strategy: reveal some more detail to the game, thank and reward the backers, profit...in reputation and money!

People against the game can only talk smack against it. Using that sentiment to rile up the faithful or bring in new backers seems the better way to go. And it's a good way to deflate the Derek.

37. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 12:56 Vall Forran

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 12:49:
EEEEVERYONNNNEEE!!!

cue scene of the whole metropolitan police force descending upon one apartment building.

Ah Luc Besson, what happened?

He's still around

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed

214. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 17:51 Vall Forran

The star map looks cool!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer

82. Re: On the upside Oct 10, 2015, 03:17 Vall Forran

As an fx artist, those explosions are hot. The sad thing, is that everyone knows video games strip fx out of a game first to make it playable. Still cool to see.  

81. Re: On the upside Oct 10, 2015, 03:12 Vall Forran

All I can say, is that it is VERY much old school Star Wars. And I'm frothing at the mouth from all the Luke conjecture.  

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched

12. Re: The Witcher III Patched Oct 9, 2015, 20:47 Vall Forran

Dacron wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 20:35:
Is this the patch that makes it fun??

Yeah... please don't kill me. It was a poor joke.

I should probably finish this before fallout is released.... Really curious to see performance changes from week 1.

You should. It's probably the best game I've ever played. (Calm down! I love RPGS! ...and also it's the best game ever made!)

73. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 20:31 Vall Forran

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 19:58:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 18:59:

Haha. I need to take this shit less seriously. I'm stressed finishing Star Wars and am getting aggravated at all the crazy nonsense. No one talked about the part in the SC vid where they showed all the hull compartments. I thought that was cool, as someone making a hobby-type space game.

I am using houdini and unreal to do my stuff. I'm making the ship procedural, you can adjust the amount of floors, length, air lock dimensions, and everything automatically adjusts. Then, you can take the final form of that internal config and sculpt an exterior around it.

It's just me, but that took a long time to figure out. I made "rooms" with the intention of adding set dressing later. Was cool to see another approach.

What's your plan with your stuff? Just for your own use? KS? Green light?

I guess I'm crazy...but I'm tired of the vfx movie industry. I want to do something different. My skills align with the vid game industry now, especially given the new tech.

The "game" I guess is hyperbole. I want to make a level or something to put on a reel so game companies don't laugh at me. It's not really a game, other than you can wander around it. I wouldn't presume to have that much time/energy/programming skills.

There used to be a lot of animosity from game artists to vfx artists. I interviewed at a certain place a while back and denied the job from the negativity I felt from the interview.

I just want to have something to prove, "hey, I can do this!" And also show some pizzazz...not dissimilar from said SC explosions. I'm fucking exploding shit in the new Star Wars movie. Been doing it since Matrix 2!

My problem, like SC, is feature creep. I intended to design a corridor not unlike the interior explody thing SC just released.

Now, I'm designing my own boxy cargo ship... It has functionality to easily modify into multiple ships. What I'm trying to experiment with is having a basic modular design easily populated with assets. I mean, the cool antennas and stuff for star wars is easily modeled. I'm working on the base. It's rather hard.

I guess I've been in FX for 15 years. I'm enjoying studying other things in my free time. Character rigging and animation can go screw themselves, though. Blegh. (props to anyone who likes those tasks)

69. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 18:59 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 18:40:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 18:01:
Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:45:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:39:
Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:16:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 12:37:
This is a video from the third-party contractor working with CIG for facial animations: https://vimeo.com/122667590

As for the explosions, they look pretty awesome to me.

KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

That landed so squarely in the uncanny valley that it made me shiver.

...Because we'd rather have "It's a bomb!" from Deus Ex. Jesus.

Seriously? All I said is that it hit the uncanny valley. The textures and the actual facial animations look great. There's no body language though and it looks so good that my brain expects there to be more nonverbal communication and recoils when there isn't.

Take a fucking pill dude. In order for something to hit the uncanny valley it has to be of a certain very high quality by definition.

Apologies..."KILL IT WITH FIRE" was taken the wrong way...

No sweat. That's just how you kill all alien pod people who are devoid of emotion. From Alien to The Thing to Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the remake)

Haha. I need to take this shit less seriously. I'm stressed finishing Star Wars and am getting aggravated at all the crazy nonsense. No one talked about the part in the SC vid where they showed all the hull compartments. I thought that was cool, as someone making a hobby-type space game.

I am using houdini and unreal to do my stuff. I'm making the ship procedural, you can adjust the amount of floors, length, air lock dimensions, and everything automatically adjusts. Then, you can take the final form of that internal config and sculpt an exterior around it.

It's just me, but that took a long time to figure out. I made "rooms" with the intention of adding set dressing later. Was cool to see another approach.

67. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 18:01 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:45:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:39:
This is a video from the third-party contractor working with CIG for facial animations: https://vimeo.com/122667590

Seriously? All I said is that it hit the uncanny valley. The textures and the actual facial animations look great. There's no body language though and it looks so good that my brain expects there to be more nonverbal communication and recoils when there isn't.

Take a fucking pill dude. In order for something to hit the uncanny valley it has to be of a certain very high quality by definition.

Apologies..."KILL IT WITH FIRE" was taken the wrong way...

64. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 17:39 Vall Forran

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >