Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access

9. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 15, 2015, 23:31 Vall Forran

I don't know where this "early access" is coming from. The expansion was in beta for a while. This is a launch. And it's gone flawlessly...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 15, 2015, 23:22 Vall Forran

loomy wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 22:46:
I would rather fund a game with rich people collecting ships than everyone paying $50/year. but if it works for them, good for them

This makes no sense. They are basically on the guild wars system. Free to play, no subscription, buy expansions. Or don't buy them and still play.

But, go ahead, buy your Star Citizen ships with real money every few days...that's way cheaper than a $50 game.

6. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 15, 2015, 23:17 Vall Forran

Most of us got it for free. It is a major expansion, which -- I don't know what games you play -- costs money.

Edit: Cutter, master of nonsense, the dlc coming out in a few months has been declared free to everyone owning the game.

And, as we've explained millions of times to you...the "moronic decision" is because the game doesn't work in single player. The universe is dynamic, you can participate in events "offline" but you still need a minimal internet connection for the server to update. FFS, people can play "offline" with a connection less than a mobile game.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2015, 23:29.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M

78. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 21:08 Vall Forran

Meanwhile, despite the buggy-ness (trademark me), the components of SC are coming together. It's cool to see, though annoying to play. There are SO many crazy systems going on.

Move too fast and you black out, or red out. There are several modes of physic flight models. Multiple landing modes.

I still hate that the flight model favors mouse control. With a flight stick it's hard to hit people. Watching youtube, mouse users cannot miss.

Every ship has a completely different interface. Elite is awesome and bypassed that by having the same one.

I think this guy wants to make a seriously awesome game. He's on the way. But, delays, because video games.

PHD Smart is shitting in his chair ringing a bell.

77. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 20:58 Vall Forran

Derek Smart must just be FUMING right now. I mean, how DARE another space game release a buggy, overdue pre-alpha test.

Oh wait, his "game" is in early access (as in, close to release), being sold on steam (unless steam finally kicked him off) where the consensus is "overwhelmingly negative".

He's selling his broken game on Steam.

StarCitizen released a pre-alpha game to the people who backed it.

Difference much?

76. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 20:49 Vall Forran

Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 17:28:
dsmart wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 16:44:
How utterly unpredictable.

I'm shocked.

Completely.

I bet. Movingalong

Really, Derek, what is your endgame here, anyway? What the hell do you get out of helping another developers downfall? Seems to me that maybe you should try helping him. Maybe that's the real issue here. Maybe you offered and he offended you? I dunno. You're like the Paris Hilton of game design! Famous for being...famously out of touch. Seriously, why do you keep putting yourself out there? Is your self-worth so fucking low that you need everyone to coddle you, publically, to feel better? You're not going to come out of this any better than when you went in. You're wasting your time. And worse, you're wasting everyone else's time with...bullshit. Just stop.

=-Rigs-=

You are confusing to me. One post I want to punch you, another I want to hug you.

This is bluesnews.

News Comments > X Rebirth: Home of Light Announced

9. Re: X Rebirth: Home of Light Announced Dec 14, 2015, 18:35 Vall Forran

X-rebirth was easier to play, but they made some weird decisions which made the game unplayable.

X3 was fine, if you fucking have google open to know what to do. I don't see that as a good model.

I think it would've been ok had they not expanded to going into first person mode to gather crates on carbon-copy stations. I imagine that effort truncated the actual space stuff. And for fuck's sake, there are student character modelers that can do better than what you output.

Edit: Probably why Elite is not going that route. They say they *might* consider it, but I highly doubt it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.0

58. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 22:48 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 17:44:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 05:38:

Let's get some perspective here. This crap release that is missing pretty much all of the "FIIIDDDELITEEEEEHHH" that Christ Roberts keeps spouting still only has a fraction of the promised features and they are struggling hard with only 16 players per instance.
You know, a number of players that is even LESS than what they promised would be able to man a SINGLE capital ship.

So let's not get ahead of ourselves here. They have a long, long shopping list of features to implement and need to reach their 50 to 100 players/ships per instance goal.
No one ever doubted that they could pull off this half-assed shit we got here with 2.0 with a dozen players in an instance and a reduced feature set. The doubts are and were always directed at the FULL implementation of ALL stretch goal features and the originally advertised number of ships/players per instance (the original promise was closer to 100 ships per instance by the way).

I said I'm not 100% on board, but we're seeing basic systems interacting with each other that gameplay can be built upon. We can actually start to evaluate the direction of the game, because there's actually a game to start evaluating.

I think things would have been better off if where we are now had happened... say... 12-18 months ago, but *shrugs* we're seeing decent progress.

As for the 100 worlds, I suspect we'll see important systems get the hand-crafted treatment, and then the backwater world will probably use a modular architecture design to build quicker. Which would make thematic sense. You can always go back over and re-touch things by hand once you have the basic elements.

As far as 50-100 players/ships per instance, yeah we'll see. No game is really doing that right now, so it'll be interesting.

As far as FULL IMPLEMENTATION OF ALL FEATURES I don't give a shit at this point. I just want a fun game that gets the core gameplay elements right. Because that's what *I* backed during the kickstarter.

I'm not going to give RSI another dime of my money any time soon, but there's a big relief to see the basic systems start to interrelate.

Agreed.

47. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 08:35 Vall Forran

Haha. Seems like the Battlefield problem. Spawn armored car capable of carrying 8 people. Lone jerk jumps in drives off and explodes into a cliff.

I hope they have a more refined approach to it. I was imagining you have to be in a party to allow you access to the multiplayer ships. That explains why random people are jumping (almost like humping) on my ship. Too bad bitches, room for one.

43. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 06:46 Vall Forran

The game crashes every 5 minutes (for me at least). But...the systems are all coming together, and it's quite impressive.

The quantum (sp?) drive effects are cool (though it took me ages to figure out wtf that was called to map it) -- and as an aside, Freespace 2 had a search filter in the keybindings, why is this not standard 15 years later? -- ejecting out of your ship and doing EVA stuff is pretty neat.

The interfaces for EVERYTHING are James Cameron Avatar slick. I think the reason the animation is bad is because anytime a player shows up next to you, your frame rate drops by 30. Alpha stuff. Everyone's been yelling that there's no progress, but this is pretty substantial. It's clunky, but vapor-ware this is not.

30. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 00:49 Vall Forran

Ironically, I think making the star systems is probably the easiest dev part of the game. I'm not too worried. I doubt they can do 100 systems with wildly different aesthetics, but that's something that can be added as they go along.

I think getting the proper game mechanics working is much more important. Like how everyone played that q3 map for ages...

25. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 00:28 Vall Forran

Also, track IR doesn't seem to work anymore. That makes me sad.  

24. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 12, 2015, 00:20 Vall Forran

Thanks the f9 key was the one I was missing. Because, J for journal is too easy.

Apparently, not knowing the right buttons to press and just mashing stuff to find something that works makes the game crash.

17. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 23:43 Vall Forran

I installed it, but I'm confused. Where do I start? How do I get out of a station?  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Patches Out P2W

3. Re: Tribes: Ascend Patches Out P2W Dec 10, 2015, 22:18 Vall Forran

I enjoyed it for awhile. Other games carried me away...  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week

36. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 10, 2015, 14:58 Vall Forran

I installed the beta and played it a bit last night.

It's pretty cool, though talk about slamming my skillset back to completely lost newby.

I wasn't sure if every ship automatically gets a rover so I just flew to a planet and landed. It's fairly seamless...except right when you hit a certain atmosphere point. Then it's the same as exiting super cruise.

I freaked out because my ship went into "gliding" mode, which turns out is like supercruise in atmosphere. You move really, really slowly otherwise. I was having trouble getting anywhere near the ground station.

Anyway, I landed on the planet...that was easy. Then, I was like, "how to deploy rover?" Hmm. Turns out you need to buy a vehicle module. D'oh! Take off fly back to space station.

I found the module...my anaconda can buy one that actually can support 4 ships! If I wanted, I could get 4 of them so my 'conda could conceivably turn into a protoss carrier (sidewinders fit in the vehicle bays!) Didn't test that out, just got a rover.

Flew back to planet, had better aim at the station this time and landed 13km out. Um. Now, how to launch the rover? After a frustrating internet search, I found out. You know that computer screen between your knees that has never been used? Now it's alive! Once you focus on it, the rover selection pops up, and you deploy.

It was super fucking cool to FINALLY see my ship in 3d (outside of the retarded slow camera debug mode). I did a few laps...I never appreciated how large the anaconda is.

Then I started driving to the station. Problem is, the rover is SLOW. Not really slow, but in space a MegaMeter is fairly small. On a planet a kilometer is a rather significant distance. Took me about 6 minutes to get 13km to the port.

When I got there, my rover was all kinds of jacked up (about 15% health left) from crashing into rocks along the way there. Then, I couldn't go into the station. There wasn't even a docking request mode I could find.

So, long drive back, but I crashed and died by a rock. Now, you can start in a new sidewinder, or the new option is just warp magically back to your landed ship.

Took off and flew to the station...maybe you have to dock with a spaceship and not a rover? Again, no request dock available. I think now my ship is "large" and that port needs a "medium or small" ship.

So, that's where I ended.

Oh yeah! They added a TON of ships. A lot of them are souped up versions of older ships. There's a heavy viper with bigger weapons and a landing module. Same with the Cobra.

32. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 10, 2015, 01:54 Vall Forran

Heh, I didn't quote him, but that was my point.  

30. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 21:59 Vall Forran

I was pleasantly surprised with the CQC mode. It's like quake in fighter jets. Super fast paced with none of the penalties for dying. And it finally gives you that gameplay of flying through tight corridors in space stations to shake off attackers and swinging around asteroids.

It's miles ahead of Star Citizen's Arena Commander, imo.

23. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 17:10 Vall Forran

If they are warping to another system, you need the scanner. If they just panic and leave the instance into supercruise...you can do the same and you'll be in the same area.

Typically, most people don't bother with it. It's usually not worth the trouble other than satiating blood lust.

21. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 17:02 Vall Forran

There are mechanics in place to follow ships leaving the instance. It's a balance, though. Do you want an extra beam laser? Or sacrifice that for a FSD wakefield tracker module?

I got so mad a few weeks ago. I was flying my anaconda and about to dock. I was lining up for approach and hit my "flight assist off" button. However! I forgot to turn on that stupid saitek control plugin before launching the game. So, instead, that button happens to revert to middle mouse click, which ended up launching a missile at the station.

Boom. Vaporized. That was my first death since cobra times way back when. Luckily, they changed the insurance policy. I was short the $12 million buyback option by several million. Still got the ship back, but you now get grafted automatically with each mission.

So, I sold my $55 million dollar thrusters (that I just goddamn bought!) and downgraded to get out of debt and have extra insurance money.

Haven't really felt like playing much after that. The anaconda is so slow and people really like fucking with you. Even if they die, they do massive $$$ to your wallet with fractional damage.

I'm hoping horizons will encourage more small ships that don't break the bank.

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >