Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Try Star Citizen for Free

4. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 29, 2016, 20:55 Vall Forran

So, E:D guy, but I also try to play SC. Blanket statement doesn't apply. I just get irritated in SC because everything is broken.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Try Star Citizen for Free

2. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 29, 2016, 20:39 Vall Forran

I just masturbated six times. Oh, sorry, wrong thread.  

News Comments > Conan Exiles Announced

9. Re: AoC Jan 28, 2016, 12:58 Vall Forran

Play the first 20 levels in Tortuga (I think that's the island's name). Afterwards call it a day and uninstall.  

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha

21. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Jan 15, 2016, 17:22 Vall Forran

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 16:32:
I'm definitely buying this game at some point, but is there a game worth buying yet? I'm still enjoying Elite Horizons immensely, but I want to get into SC when there's something of substance. It's hard to tell as these threads get polluted so quickly.

There's nothing gameplay-wise now. You can run around, get a ship and fly off to a broken satellite. Then you can eject and fly into said satellite and press a button to fix it. The main "game" is figuring out where the fuck to go on the satellite, because radar is hard or something, even though you have it everywhere else.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M

42. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 14:01 Vall Forran

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 08:01:
I'm playing with a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and I put the thrusters on the throttle thumb stick which works pretty well. With a little help of the TARGET software (you don't need to be able to script... RTFM will do) I have set up my custom config and it works great. I've even done some silly stuff like using the green LEDs to indicate whether the landing gear is lowered or raised.
The long list of in-game commands/functions looks a little intimidating at first but once you figure out what you actually really need, you can create a profile where the stick is used to 100% and only a few buttons/switches/hats on the throttle. I can 100% literally play HOTAS including the menus at a station which I navigate with the thumb stick on the joystick. Might as well unplug the kb.

I wish I had paid the extra $$ for the Warthog.

I could use the extra buttons/switches, but the NEON BLUE of the x52 suckered me...as well as being much cheaper. Oh well. Maybe it will break and cause me to upgrade.

Do you use the "mode" settings at all? I don't have it set up, but am thinking it would be cool to have a "docking mode" where weapons get unmapped (or nulled) and flight controls switch to thrusters...or something like that. Main thing is unmapping weapons. I am surprised I only shot a station once before (and that was me forgetting to launch the external control app...yay, flight assist button without it defaults to SHOOT MISSILES!)

39. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 02:52 Vall Forran

Yeah, he made a post talking about his issues (which I applaud, no one likes doing that). He got an indie tech grant and an office in a shiny new building made for people like him doing cool work. He said having to work at an office as opposed to just living in his work space is making a world of difference. Funny how when you get so laser focused, obvious things aren't obvious. Not trying to be snarky, I've kind of faced that issue myself.  

37. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 00:58 Vall Forran

It's pretty much single player, until you go to community goal areas or highly popular stations. Then, it can get stressful. Human pirates are bastards.  

33. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 20:07 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 18:59:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 17:03:
Unlike Star Citizen, Elite fucking sucks with mouse/keyboard. (I still don't get why SC is designed to be flown with m/k...) Like someone said, the xbox controller is much better -- but a true HOTAS setup is the ideal way to go.

I use a combo joystick/keyboard. I usually have 3 thrust vectors going at once and the xbox controller won't do. I even get kind of pissy at HOTAS. With the keyboard I can control throttle (-50%, 0%, 50% on Z,X, and C respectively), have fine tuned throttle (W, S), strafe horizontally (Q, E), and vertically (R, F). Plus I have pitch and roll controls in the joystick. So I can seriously have upwards of like 4 or 5 different thrust vectors applied to my ship at once. Plus I have all the joystick buttons. I haven't found a HOTAS that offers that kind of convenient response. Maybe a HOTAS with twist and some rudder pedals, but that's getting absurd.

That's pretty hardcore, I applaud you.

I use the extra trigger on my throttle stick as my thrusters, works well. I use the keyboard for a few random hotkeys, but otherwise it's all on the HOTAS. Main one is I use spacebar to go to supercruse. Bastard AI scans too fast. Warping to a new system is twice as long as going into SC.

26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 17:03 Vall Forran

It's never going to be a story driven game. The meta is constantly changing though.

The new shizzle is to fly to a station waaaaaay the fuck out of normal space (~400 ly) pick up a smuggling mission (or 7), then fly back and make $50m credits. The trick, is that if you get scanned, all your missions fail. The Asp Explorer is probably the best ship in the game now for this with it's 30ly jump capability.

They are getting over the "space trucking" thing. You can still do it, but now there are other ways for you to make tons of money. And you don't need a $200m ship to do that.

Also, the Federal Assault Ship replaced the Vulture as the new combat badass. It's SUPER EFFECTIVE. Crazy agility, people don't even put shields on it (hull tank, cheap to repair), big weapons.

Unlike Star Citizen, Elite fucking sucks with mouse/keyboard. (I still don't get why SC is designed to be flown with m/k...) Like someone said, the xbox controller is much better -- but a true HOTAS setup is the ideal way to go.

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]

45. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated] Jan 8, 2016, 22:29 Vall Forran

Why do you need a writer when you don't make games anymore?  

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month

11. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 6, 2016, 22:58 Vall Forran

I WANT an arcade-y flight sim like Valkyrie. That's what Freespace 2 was.

You guys are really bitchy about space games you'll never play.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month

10. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 6, 2016, 22:54 Vall Forran

DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 21:05:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 20:48:
This bitch better be good. Star Citizen is gonna take ages, Elite: Dangerous is decent but not exactly a space combat sim so it is high time that at least one studio delivers some awesome sauce space action.

This game makes Elite Dangerous look like a hard core DCS flight simulator.

This is nothing more than Call of Duty in space, you don't even get free look with the VR headset but instead it's used to track your lock-on weapon systems. That's not to say that the game may be fun but if you're expecting "Freespace" type game ... not exactly.

Elite, with the new update, changed a bunch of stuff. Shield tanking is less viable...using a shield booster raises your heat to well over 100%, causing hull damage.

The new, weird (imo) thing is hull tanking. The fed ships that were shitty are now insanely strong. You don't even equip shields. You load up with hull reinforcements. You are a freakin' brick in space. I keep getting rammed, which pisses me off, but the pilots say they don't mean it, they just really can't do fancy moves. Aiming at me is all they can do. I'm used to the chicken mode and then we split apart at the last second. That's fucked now.

Also, using hull only, they can pretty much negate lasers, which EVERYONE uses. The meta in this game is strong. People that think there's nothing going on in this game just haven't played it (at all) or not near a hot zone.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India Next Week

2. Re: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India Next Week Jan 6, 2016, 22:45 Vall Forran

Assassin's Creed, don't step in poo. (Though this should've been a 'feature' in the medieval ones.)  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2015, 21:20 Vall Forran

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 20:36:
Cabezone wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 19:01:
I love how Cutter thought we didn't understand his point and tried to explain himself.

Well, in all fairness, a lot of you are that stupid, yes.

For fuck's sake, can you try to not be an asshole? You totally deserve this piling on.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2015, 17:50 Vall Forran

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 17:15:
Poor ole cutter. A dick and a wanna be elitist. Does that make him a deletist.

Hahaha!

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets

64. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 18, 2015, 01:50 Vall Forran

fujiJuice wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 23:08:
Once it leaves the area of the installation, the environment begins to look like something made with Bryce from the late 90's.

If they could continue with the original level of detail, they might have something.

So, on top of the accusations of feature creep, you want them to hand model every planet now...despite it looking better then any game ever?

Seriously. Evochron? Cool indie game, way better than anything DS did, but look up what that planetary entry looks like. Compare that to SC.

At work today..."Holy shit, I can't believe they can do that in a video game." Industrial Light & Magic saw the same video and were amazed.

Get back to me, if you can pull your head out of your butt.

33. Re: How Blue? Dec 17, 2015, 21:23 Vall Forran

Happy dance! I finally worked on a good movie. And it's Star Wars!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets

57. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 19:11 Vall Forran

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 19:05:
descender wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:37:
You would think someone with a few hundred dollars invested in a space sim would literally know that light years are a measure of distance.

I laughed. We are 18 Trillion kilometers from being finished.

This is why I avoid the word "literally".

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access

43. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 23:23 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 18:06:
So dick-waving about whether or not Elite promised an offline mode at first (It did, and it was a big stink), has anyone played Horizons? What gameplay does it add?

I played the hell out of the original but eventually burned out on it. So far I've seen bases and planet exploration. What exactly do the outposts *do* and what's the purpose of landing on a planet?

There are two versions of missions now. You can do a normal mission, or a surface mission. The missions have gotten tweaked to be a bit more interesting, but I'd be lying if I said they are that much different.

They released a bunch of new ships...ranging from super cheap to crazy expensive. There's a fed and empire version of the anaconda now.

Some quests have you deliver goods to a planetary outpost. Not really any different from a normal station, but it's pretty cool.

They also added a ton of new modules. Different shield types...like ones that aren't as strong, but recharge 300x faster. New guns and goodies.

Still the same game. If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access

11. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 15, 2015, 23:42 Vall Forran

If you are a beta backer or sooner, you get everything they release for free. If you're one of those guys who paid $150 (or more) to kickstart the game, it's paying off now.

I could be wrong, but I imagine that most of the people playing now are the backers.

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >