Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1896 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2017, 10:23 ForgedReality

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 09:10:
Game resale has moved from Gamespot to the net. That is their problem, not the publishers.

GameStop*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2017, 02:19 ForgedReality

Kxmode wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 00:15:
NetHead wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 17:36:
Dev wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 17:07:
Poor gamestop

Gamespot is so screwed, not just because of all the crap they do, but also because publishers want that whole business gone.

I trust Steam users more than sites like GameSpot. Gamers tend to be brutally honest. With GameSpot there always this lingering doubt that there's a conflict of interest. IGN is completely untrustworthy because of this.

Ummmmm... This is a joke right?

GameStop != GameSpot... >_>

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 26, 2017, 01:38 ForgedReality

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 23:35:
Sempai wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 22:28:
As far as i'm aware Amazon doesn't have a presence here in Utah, and we're paying tax on every transaction.. How does that work?

You can blame your local government for that:

"Effective January 1, 2017, the Internet sales behemoth will begin collecting Utahís state sales tax. Itís part of an agreement between Amazon and the Utah State Tax Commission. Amazon will collect both Utahís 4.7 percent sales tax rate and local option sales taxes, the commission has said. "

FOUR POINT SEVEN?! And you're complaining?! It's more than double that here. >:/

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 23, 2017, 16:13 ForgedReality

Completely 100% fake. That hole is CUT out. Where the fuck are all the pieces that would make themselves known on the desk? How the fuck is the film in the front of the panel just a big fucking giant hole rather than a tear? How did he manage to get his head through the back of the monitor just by headbutting it? This is fucking fake as shit, probably trying to get some PR for the Chinese nerdcafe.  

News Comments > Shiness Next Month
1. Re: Shiness Next Month Mar 23, 2017, 11:41 ForgedReality

Is a shiness, like, the dominant female shin in a pack of shins? I don't get it...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 22, 2017, 17:47 ForgedReality

NetHead wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 17:06:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:50:
Not having seen the video, it's hard to speculate as to whether the viewers A) knew it was not consensual and B) knew the girl was underaged.

Fair enough, maybe I'm being to pessimistic, though it wouldn't be the first time hearing of situations where a number of people knew someone needed help and did nothing.

Maybe you're new to the internet, but how can you fap and phone the police at the same time? If you can invent the way to do that, there's your first million!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 20, 2017, 23:39 ForgedReality

So AMD can't make money in the CPU or GPU space, so they've decided to become a patent troll. Nice.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 18, 2017, 00:06 ForgedReality

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 20:09:
Sequential R/W will be up to 3.2 GBps, with Random R/W up to 750K/160K IOPS.
Yikes

That's... Fucking fast.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 11:35 ForgedReality

RE: Windows 10 as an ad platform

This isn't a new revelation. We knew this, what, two years ago? You can count on me keeping Windows 7 Enterprise for the foreseeable future.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
44. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 10, 2017, 08:15 ForgedReality

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 05:26:
Lord Tea wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 02:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 17:16:
And with that, VEGA is looking pretty dead. Those benches look pretty mind-blowing, first 4k able GPU, but still a genereation away from driving 4K ultra settings, and 2 generations at least, for VR at 4K .. sigh.

I take it you've some insight on VEGA's performance. Please enlighten us.

Take it as wild conjecture..

But why else would it beat a Titan XP in some benches and come out this soon (10 months!) after the 1080 and 1070 trounced anything ATI made? Don't you think Nvidia is making sure it has the performance lead way ahead before Vega is even shown, in order to take any potential wind out of ATI's sails PR wise? Kinda hard to announce a GPU when you are beat in all benchmarks before it releases.. is what I think Nvidia thinks.

You keep saying ATI. I don't think you realize that ATI is dead. That name is from a time when the company was competitive. Since AMD, there has been nothing really of note out of the red camp for anyone concerned with the high end. Green has been the only option.

If you refuse to refer to the company as "AMD" out of some indignant sense of stubborn righteousness, I think you're doing more to insult the brand's legacy than to honor it. AMD is not worthy of the name ATI.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 10:54 ForgedReality

sauron wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 10:48:
Wow, if I had bought a 1080, I would be pretty annoyed by this. The Ti seems to replace that card since it is significantly faster and a similar price? Or am I getting my facts wrong?

It handily replaces the Titan X Pascal as well.

I'm for sure getting this and a new 55" 4k TV to pair together. Been sitting on this GTX 580 forever. I'd wait for Volta, but I want 4k now! I can sell this and replace it with the high end Volta part later.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 3, 2017, 17:24 ForgedReality

Sounds like they're blaming Windows for their bad engineers.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 15:32 ForgedReality

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 15:17:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 14:50:
I love Apple hardware, but I think iPads are just awful for the classroom. When the kids get to middle school, give everyone a raspberry pie and let them learn how a computer actually works.

I was building computers from 5th grade on back in the late 80s/90s. Kids need to be doing that more, not playing tablet/phone games so much.

Not a bad idea. I can totally see giving younger kids that type of tech and then in HS, start giving them every day tools and every day exp type of classes. Along with improved steering and training in fields they excel at.

I'm a software engineer, and thinking of getting into full stack because I grew up in the early days and was building my own PCs from single-digit age. In fact, I've only ever owned PCs I built myself. I don't know any kids capable of that these days, and I kind of worry about their capability to do any real technical work in the future. Considering the direction that the economy is going, it can't be a bad idea to get kids started off "correctly" instead of with these tools that already do everything for them with no explanation as to how they work. Kids need to learn how to learn.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled
6. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled Mar 2, 2017, 12:55 ForgedReality

Blue spells 'canceled' like a Brit.  

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
16. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 12:08 ForgedReality

Armengar wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 11:50:
still running my 2500k at 4.0ghz on air. No plans to change. I think ive had that cpu for about 5 years now.

Mine is older. i7 980x @ 4.6ghz. No issues here or really reasons to upgrade. Doing so would require a whole new build. Really the only thing I'd look forward to in that is an m.2 drive, which are pretty damn sweet.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month
62. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 2, 2017, 09:21 ForgedReality

{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 20:02:
Slick wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 19:46:
I know I'm late to this thread, looks like there's no "2xxx" series being announced lol.

Anyways, all of you talking about monitors should just LOOK AT THIS

This is the best thing coming out in the foreseeable future, and will be very future-proof. G-sync will help with the low framerates with the 1080ti, (pushing 60) but will be able to really shine with volta and beyond. Plus HDR and FALD, which are pretty much not optional if you're buying a new high-end TV. Very nice to see these techs come to the monitor market.

Not sure when/if OLEDs will happen for the gamer crowd.

Those monitors are 27" ? I'm with the others above who say 27" is too small for 4k. I have 34" and it's not even 4k and i wouldn't wanna go smaller with a higher resolution.

Yeah and I don't get all the hype around OLED. That shit is seriously not ready for consumers. The tech is just not finished. It has way too many problems to justify the price, especially for desktop use, where you have static images on the screen for long periods of time. Image retention, motion blur, slow response times, burn-in... These are all things that are detrimental to a gaming experience.

44. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 16:55 ForgedReality

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 16:04:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 15:35:

A lot of this is down to the quality of the panel. Cheaper monitors will have lower picture quality. The technology used in the panel will have an impact as well. IPS is okay for speed, but image quality suffers, especially at angles, when compared to something like VA. It's not all about the resolution and PPI. You're also asking for trouble using a scaled resolution, as a lot of monitors have trouble with that. So, 2k on a 4k display might look like shit compared to even 1080p on the same display, as that translation is a little more 1:1, but still not perfect.

I think you got your terms mixed-up there. IPS has better image quality, VA has higher refresh rate.

I'm talking response time, not refresh rate. IPS tends to have worse blur than VA, true, but IPS generally has quicker response time.

41. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 15:35 ForgedReality

Nullity wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 15:26:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 14:37:
Sorry but I have to disagree with that comment. The difference between 2k and 4k is minor, especially so if your monitor is under 48". I bought a 4k monitor and guess what I run it at 2k all of the time on games. There are only a few games I can really tell the difference. So ask yourself do you really see that much difference between 2k and 4k or are you just being elitist?

Personally I regret wasting money on a 4k monitor and a 1080. Should have gotten a 2k monitor and a 1070.

Not elitist in the slightest, I can absolutely tell a difference. It's a 125% increase, which isn't "minor".

A friend of mine bought this same monitor first. I was at his place shortly after he got it and I wanted to play around with it for a few minutes to check it out. My first thought was exactly as yours, that I wouldn't see much of a difference with a 27" monitor at 4k. I was definitely wrong, and I ordered the same monitor a few days later specifically because 4k looked so good.

I do seem to be able to notice detail in video/images much easier than most people I know, it seems. Maybe I'm just a freak.

A lot of this is down to the quality of the panel. Cheaper monitors will have lower picture quality. The technology used in the panel will have an impact as well. IPS is okay for speed, but image quality suffers, especially at angles, when compared to something like VA. It's not all about the resolution and PPI. You're also asking for trouble using a scaled resolution, as a lot of monitors have trouble with that. So, 2k on a 4k display might look like shit compared to even 1080p on the same display, as that translation is a little more 1:1, but still not perfect.

38. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 14:05 ForgedReality

bulbrook wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:48:
Exact screen I have. I wish it was 42" for PPI reasons and how close I sit, but 48" has grown on me. Too bad you had issues with your panel. Try to stay as small size you can with as high end monitor as you can when it comes to tv. The screen door affect gets bad in the 55" range depending on how close you sit.

So if you put a light gray solid color on the entire screen, using something like Photoshop or MS Paint, there are a couple of areas where, for me, it turned yellowish. On the left and right sides, a few inches in from the edge, I think due to the curve, there was discoloration. And on dark scenes, there was annoying clouding from the backlight. It was pretty annoying once I noticed it, and I could not un-notice it. I would be reading a webpage, and those uniformity issues really bothered me. One of the replacements I got lessened this effect, but there was a dead pixel or two right in the middle, and then THAT bothered me. Sorry, for as much as that thing cost, those issues were unacceptable to me. The display otherwise was spectacular. Consider yourself lucky if you don't have the issues I did. The curve distortion was a little weird too, especially when trying to design something like a flyer in Illustrator/Photoshop. I think I'll stick with flat panels from now on.

30. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 13:18 ForgedReality

Nullity wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:06:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:44:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:41:
Most likely 60hz? If so, that is now the problem I have, I've seen 144hz and I don't think I'm ever dropping less than 120hz again.

Now if only they could do that in 4k, and appropriate monitor sizes for that resolution. 27" is just FAR too small.

Coming soon.

Although I disagree with 27" being too small, I feel that's just about perfect, IMO. Perhaps it depends on the quality of your vision.

At 27", the PPI is far too dense with 4k. It's a waste. It's like taking pizza dough and making a thick, doughy pizza for four people. I'd rather spread it out and make a big, thin crust pizza for 12 people.

48" 4k is roughly the same PPI as a 24" 1080p display. Packing in that many pixels into a relatively tiny 27" display is just wasting frames for the sake of saying "my display is 4k." If you're going to be adding detail, you may as well spread it across a larger screen so you can actually discern that detail.

1896 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo