Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 16, 2009, 20:41
Total Comments 1758 (Pro)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Need for Speed Most Wanted Free on Origin
15. Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted Free on Origin Feb 3, 2016, 09:41 ForgedReality

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2016, 09:04:
Nice deal, except it ain't the actual NFS Most Wanted everyone loved ^^ Still, free is free.. so.. whatever

Origin. Not Even Once.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 2, 2016, 01:16 ForgedReality

NetHead wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 01:02:
Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 20:39:
Highway gothic is easier to read.

I think the "1 Mile" version is much better.

Oh god! The new one is a lot closer to Comic Sans than I think they realize. The old one is much, much nicer. It's cleaner and feels more structured and is more easily legible, at least to me, based on that one example. The 6 on Highway Gothic makes me fucking angry. It is oddly skewed, like a little kid drew it. I'm assuming all of the numbers are like that. I'm just now realizing I'm overanalyzing this. Carry on.

I'm gonna go stab the driver ahead of me in the neck with a screwdriver now.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2016, 23:26 ForgedReality

I'm not sold on 21:9. Too many reports of issues with many games using the weird resolutions. I'd rather go for a standard aspect ratio 4k, curved, 48" quantum dot TV and use it as a monitor.  

News Comments > SUPERHOT This Month
5. Re: SUPERHOT This Month Feb 1, 2016, 14:57 ForgedReality

yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 10:45:
Unfortunately this month is quite busy for me and I'm going on a conference next month. How do I find the time? :/

Clearly, all you need to do is just stop moving.

News Comments > Try Star Citizen for Free
42. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 30, 2016, 18:36 ForgedReality

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 14:50:
MacLeod wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 13:44:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 12:34:
To those with actual feedback on the state of the game, thanks. How big is the download?

27gb

That's for the free version. We backers can download the full 35 GB! Not sure what else is included that you aren't getting. Sound like everything is there...

3 cosmetic skins for a ship you still can't fly, an additional garbage scow ship that also doesn't fly, and an added sound effect of Nelson from the Simpsons saying "HA! HA!"

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises
29. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 28, 2016, 18:20 ForgedReality

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 15:54:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:29:
"including 4k resolution"

Which every single game made in the last 10 years supports, so long as it lets the driver tell the game what resolutions your system (videocard and monitor) support. How is this a feature?

"advanced graphics"

Relative to what? A console? I bet it looks the exact same as those shitty, 5-years-behind, 2005-Dell-laptop-emulators, since it was made for fucking consoles...

"Pure Hair technology"

Oh jesus fucking christ. Excuse me while I go stab a baby.

I don't know if you've been living under a rock for the past 4 years or so but the gaming industry has kind of moved on from its brief infatuation with living room consoles as the only platform of relevance. If you can't find enough worthwhile games to play on the PC because some AAA releases are still console first, then you clearly need to find more uses for your time. Seriously bro, your comment is straight out of 2007 when consoles really were stealing the PC's thunder. In 2016 though, the problem is too many worthwhile games to play on the PC, not too few.

And as far as graphical advancements being "held back" by the consoles, we've hit the limit of where we're reasonably going to go. Diminishing returns have fully set in, and marginal improvements in graphical fidelity require huge budget increases. Have you not noticed how long the credits run for AAA releases? Game budgets for AAA games are already GIGANTIC. More powerful hardware implies the CAPABILITY for better graphics, but not the REALITY of it. To actually make better graphics, you need more artists, more animators, and more programmers, and these people all cost money to employ. Better hardware doesn't conjure more photorealism out of the ether: it merely gives those artists, animators, and programmers a larger performance budget to work with. Their time to make use of that performance budget, however, does not particularly change, which means that better graphics means a more expensive development process.

AAA game budgets aren't going to get any bigger (how much bigger could they conceivably get?) unless the market for AAA games gets larger. But that would mean making conscious efforts to expand the appeal of AAA games beyond the teens through mid-30s male demographic, but we all know how it goes if someone dares to suggest that maybe gaming should be less of an adolescent male power fantasy club.

Since when does improving hardware capabilities require increased budget? It's not like you need to hire "upgraded" employees.

It doesn't require any additional skills to create graphics in lower resolution. In fact, they're generally scaled way down in production and the originals are higher quality than required, but then optimized for the game. All they have to do is optimize "less."

Development is the same. All they need to do is use modern techniques and libraries. It's not any more difficult or costly, it's just more modern.

What increases AAA budgets is the need to constantly keep up with your audience's expectations. It's more and more difficult to impress gamers, so you need to be more creative and innovative. It's not the technology that drives up the cost of games.

In fact, it likely makes it easier to create games as game companies get better at utilizing the technology and build better and better dev tools. It takes less time, and you have a better product that you can likely use for future games, further optimizing development schedules.

That's before you consider advertising budgets, which likely cost considerably more than the development costs. That's publishers' fault. Thank them for your $60 cost of entry and $40 cut-from-the-final-build DLCs. Stop supporting that shit, and games will start to be better again and not cost as much.

Hell, there are one-man teams building games these days using modern tech on a nonexistent budget, and the games are looking every bit as good as AAA offerings. Technology doesn't make games cost more to make.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 28, 2016, 13:15 ForgedReality

Simon says shut the fuck up.  

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises
3. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 12:29 ForgedReality

"including 4k resolution"

Which every single game made in the last 10 years supports, so long as it lets the driver tell the game what resolutions your system (videocard and monitor) support. How is this a feature?

"advanced graphics"

Relative to what? A console? I bet it looks the exact same as those shitty, 5-years-behind, 2005-Dell-laptop-emulators, since it was made for fucking consoles...

"Pure Hair technology"

Oh jesus fucking christ. Excuse me while I go stab a baby.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 26, 2016, 12:52 ForgedReality

Those high res ultrawides are interesting, but the Samsung 3840x1080 49 and 41 inchers must have like a friggin mile gap between the pixels for that size of panel. Yuck.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 09:35:
Magic device that runs 120fps at 4k (the actual requirement for good VR, per eye)? .. hehe.. as if

It already exists. Considering a UN48JS9000 for desktop use and that's one of its features. It has a 120hz panel, which allows for a full 60fps per eye.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 25, 2016, 18:03 ForgedReality

Pigeon wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 15:09:
Jagacademy wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 14:06:
Ironically, my Comcast speeds are always higher than what they advertise.

Same for me, I pay for 50 and speed tests put me closer to 60. At least with Steam downloads I seem to see the real-world benefit from this. Although my youtube and HBO streaming can be shit at times; did they forget to pay off comcast?

Same here. I have 150, and it's closer to 165 generally.

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
92. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 20, 2016, 15:38 ForgedReality

Creston wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 14:19:
I wonder how legal this is. Someone needs to call the Attorney General, tell him to wake up and have a looksee if this isn't just a terrifying abuse of market power.

Yeah, but according to The Official BluesNews Legal Professional, NKD, this is totally fine, perfectly acceptable, and should be entirely expected. What the fuck were you thinking? >:O

91. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 20, 2016, 15:33 ForgedReality

Ant wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 15:05:
Sempai wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 20:43:
Dear Microsoft.

Get cancer.

Sincerely, Eatabowlofdicks.
Linux is cancer according to M$.

[citation needed]

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 20, 2016, 12:41 ForgedReality

Task wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 12:06:
Seems to, huh. I torrent, you torrent, Obama's wife probably torrents, Putin's adviser seems to torrent. Who cares, everyone does it at least once (or twice).

Russian malware shuts down US nuclear reactor cooling systems; thermal runaway in full effect; torrented episode of The Kardashians to blame.

5. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 12:12 ForgedReality

This SERIOUSLY can NOT be legal.

And if it is... Well, I guess I won't be buying any of those CPUs.

Just sounds bad for business all around. I can't believe these chip makers would cooperate with such a thing. I guess given enough money, they're willing to do anything.

News Comments > John Romero's New DOOM Level
14. Re: John Romero's New DOOM Level Jan 16, 2016, 11:55 ForgedReality

Since the other video link posted below is removed, here's a play of it. I see now why you need a version with the "limits removed," so that you can actually look up and down as there's so much verticality in this level. Kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PouzO1ch4Z0

13. Re: John Romero's New DOOM Level Jan 16, 2016, 11:37 ForgedReality

!!ahahahahahuM !oremoR nhoJ ,em llik tsum uoy ,emag eht niw oT  

12. Re: Doomsday! Jan 16, 2016, 11:35 ForgedReality

Jesusio wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 20:06:
Youtube video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfF5r9LlFsc
Removed.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 14, 2016, 14:32 ForgedReality

You and apparently every single commentor on that story is missing the issue entirely.

It really has NOTHING to do with Chrome, or nVidia. It's all Apple's fault, as usual. Anything that displays anything on the screen is implicated on a Mac since it never clears the VRAM.

I wish idiots would stop just reading the headline and then jumping to conclusions, especially in this age of clickbait articles. Retardedly worded headline.

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
11. Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 00:02 ForgedReality

Fantaz wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 19:00:
For only $599.95, shipping included.
http://www.htc.com/us/viveprepricing
link is for placeholder purposes only.

is that a troll link? shows 404 when I click it. i hope it's less than $599 US... that's around $1000 Canadian after taxes

hoping it at least costs less than the ridiculously overpriced Oculus

What makes you think it's overpriced? It seems about right to me. Is it too much? Yes. I'd never buy it, but not just for how much it costs--it just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Is it overpriced? Not considering the tech that's in it.

This is a niche market that neither of us are about to dive into, but some people with way too much money to waste will. Over time, VR will get better and cheaper, but it's relatively new technology--or at least a novel use for it--so it's going to be costly at first. And like I said, I think it's fairly priced considering what you're actually getting.

I don't know if I'd enjoy it, but it's not like they're trying to rip you off. They want to be competitive as much as any company. You just think it's overpriced because they over-promised (or at least set the expectations) on unrealistically low prices leading up to release. In reality, they weren't able to make that price happen. Deal with it how ever you want, but to call it "overpriced" reeks of this generation's overblown sense of entitlement.

News Comments > Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers
9. Re: Free Retail Unit for Oculus Rift Backers Jan 6, 2016, 01:45 ForgedReality

The Vive is gonna kill this garbage.  

1758 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo