Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for ForgedReality

Real Name ForgedReality   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ForgedReality
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On October 16, 2009
Supporter -
Total Comments 2302 (Senior)
User ID 55267

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BAFTA Winners

2. Re: BAFTA Winners Apr 3, 2020, 00:36 ForgedReality

SO MUCH ALL-CAPS.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get Child of Light for Free

5. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 03:15 ForgedReality

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 19:33:
Now Uplay is going to bribe me too?

Uhh... They've BEEN doing that since before it was cool.

All my games in Uplay I got for free (Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, The Crew, and Ghost Recon Wildlands). I wouldn't buy a Ubi game, but I'll play them if they're gonna hand them out. Fuck Epic though. They can eat a COVID-19-infected dog-dick-corndog and die for all I care.

Edit - After having played this game for a couple hours, it's quite good. Really interesting and unique gameplay. The art style is nice too. Totally recommend picking it up. Not ordinarily the type of game I would have checked out, but since it's free, now I know it's good.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2020, 05:04.

News Comments > Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?

34. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 12:23 ForgedReality

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 10:28:
Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 00:13:
I was just talking to a friend about how bad the "Prey" remake was. A bad Bioshock clone that had absolutely nothing to do with the original Prey.

Different universe
Different characters
Different theme
Different setting
Different mechanics
Different pacing
Different FUCKING GENRE.

The original Prey was a masterpiece, arguably the last great single-player FPS from the golden age of FPS games. Everything that made it cool, fun, unique and challenging was just swept under the rug like it never happened. It had functional portals before portal, you'd shrink down to the size of an ant, you could alter the axis of gravity, you could turn into a spirit ghost and walk across spirit bridges, you could walk on walls and ceilings, and my god every single weapon had such individuality. The puzzles were all intelligently designed, and used original never before mechanics. The death loop still stands as the most engaging, challenging, and unique I've ever seen. The storyline was genuinely heart-wrenching, and it's conclusion was the best ending to a FPS game I've ever played. It influenced games for the next decade. It was seminal.

Then the new game just ignored all of that heritage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be like if Valve made Half-Life 3, and there was no Gordon Freeman, no alien invasion, and no crowbar. Oh and they decided to switch the game genre, so HL3 is now an open-world survivor-horror RPG.

If anyone here has not played the original Prey, you owe it to yourself. It still stands up. I replay it every few years.
Yep, the original one was a classic. I often think it could have done much more for the FPS genre, if it had been more popular. To me it was as innovative as FEAR, if not more. And at least as much fun.
I played the 2017 one for 90 mins or so and then refunded it. Boring uninspired crap. Control reminded me of it. And I refunded that one as well.

It gets so, so much better. You missed all the zero-g stuff, and making choices, and how much upgrades can change the gameplay. I barely remember the original Prey. I have the box sitting on a shelf still, but I felt kind of ripped off at the time. It played like shit and it was not challenging enough. I don't understand how people can think it was more innovative.

Sure, the new Prey is actually a spiritual System Shock sequel, but to criticize it for not being Prey is short-sighted at best.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Preloads

47. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Preloads Mar 23, 2020, 03:45 ForgedReality

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 00:50:
saltedicecream wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 12:37:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 04:51:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 03:03:
My main issue with VR is that you are standing there and you have to teleport around. It removes a lot of the freedom you would have with a traditional game. Seems like it would be a lot of stop-and-go gameplay and it would be easy to overwhelm the player if they had enemies rushing at you. Not to mention the fact that it takes you out of the immersion because you're not actually walking.
Same.
There are 3D treadmills but they have other limitations, like you have to be in a ring, so you cant duck very well, not to mention jump.
Not really interested in VR before that is solved. I cant have a VR-room with padded walls so nothing and nobody gets damaged/hurt.

There are several misconceptions here.

Teleportation is not a requirement of VR and nor is it the dominant form of play anymore. I'm looking at the top 5 pure VR games (in terms of player count) right now--Pavlov VR, Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery, Walking Dead: S&S, and Beat Saber--and only one of them doesn't have smooth locomotion (Beat Saber) and none of them support teleportation. With the exception of a minority, most gamers can get their "VR legs" after some training and leave teleportation behind. It will absolutely be an issue for casual gamers but there's a very large untapped market of more hardcore gamers that will adapt.

The second misconception is that VR treadmills address the simulator sickness problem. Simulator sickness comes from the disconnect between your visual sense of motion and your vestibular sense of motion, but VR treadmills do nothing to solve that. Outside of maybe VR arcades, they are a dead end for many other reasons as well.

Lastly, you're partially correct on the point about space consumption (and I'll add energy intensiveness) being issues for the current VR market. However I don't think this is inherent to VR but rather just an unfortunate design decision by today's developers (much like the teleportation focus of early VR games). With a swiveling chair for minor rotations, snap turn for faster rotations (basically implemented by all VR games), and vertical movement on one of the joysticks (smooth transitioning between prone and standing), you basically have the full capacity of standing play without requiring very much space. The space required is basically what is encompassed by rotating 360 degrees in a chair and reaching your arms out. The unfortunate thing is that only a few games (e.g. Boneworks) support artificial vertical movement but I think this will change over time.

Never said that only teleportation is the problem. Walking with a stick (pun intended) is almost as bad.

Me nor him talked about motion sickness. I dont have issues with it, even though I get it in cars if I look down for too long while being a passenger.

I want to act like in real life, or very close to it, in a VR game. Thats the point.
Sure, its not an issue if youre playing flight sims or racing games, but I actually dont play those anymore because I know how much it sucks to not have a butt-o-meter, AKA not feeling the acceleration/gravity when you turn or your car starts to lose traction in a curve. And I wont put some huge thing in front of my PC that costs thousands of dollars and is only good for specific games.
But normal FPS VR games are possible. I just dont like how they are done so far. Software and hardware-wise.

Yeah, I'm not sure how people were so widely misinterpreting what was said. Rolleyes

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Preloads

16. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Preloads Mar 22, 2020, 03:03 ForgedReality

My main issue with VR is that you are standing there and you have to teleport around. It removes a lot of the freedom you would have with a traditional game. Seems like it would be a lot of stop-and-go gameplay and it would be easy to overwhelm the player if they had enemies rushing at you. Not to mention the fact that it takes you out of the immersion because you're not actually walking.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Released

26. Re: DOOM Eternal Released Mar 20, 2020, 23:55 ForgedReality

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 15:30:
No DM, no sale.

But... There is DM.

News Comments > Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life

8. Re: Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life Mar 18, 2020, 23:17 ForgedReality

I love how there is literally zero competition with CP2077. Gonna be amazing and CDPR is gonna make a killing! There aren't any other interesting games right now. That's kind of a bummer, but I have a feeling that one game is gonna make that not matter.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Reviews

6. Re: DOOM Eternal Reviews Mar 17, 2020, 12:30 ForgedReality

Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2020, 12:15:
Everything glowing - can't wait until Friday.

But, what is coming after this. What other fps games are in the works?

Literally the only game that matters is Cyberpunk 2077. Nothing else is even remotely interesting.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED: Remote Work Keeping Cyberpunk 2077 on Track

8. Re: CD Projekt RED: Remote Work Keeping Cyberpunk 2077 on Track Mar 17, 2020, 04:11 ForgedReality

verybad1 wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 20:05:
That indeed. I do want this game, but a fricken' Pandemic that just smashed the world financial system and appears to kill about 3% of those it gets is worth taking the time to stay safe.

I personally have the next 3 weeks off because of this. It's serious.

It's closer to 6% in my state.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adds Wishlists

10. Re: Epic Games Store Adds Wishlists Mar 10, 2020, 21:10 ForgedReality

Can we add that we wish the EA store disappear along with its parent company?  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Warzone Launches

11. Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Mar 10, 2020, 19:00 ForgedReality

Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 18:58:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 18:49:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 18:05:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 17:52:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 17:35:
Looks pretty.

Really? From the video, I thought it looked extremely dated, like it should have come out 8 years ago or something.
Well, the video shows me graphics prettier than BFV or PUBG. Perhaps it's the editing?
Since I'm on a 280x, I'll take anything that runs on this old supernova.

I love how the servers are completely overrun so now you can't even download it. I was willing to check it out for free. A huge map with 150 simultaneous players could explain the low-fidelity graphics, but what explains the low-fidelity servers when referencing a billion dollar company?

Just look at that lovely error page, as if they never expected anyone to ever see it. >_<

https://blog.activision.com/warzone/download
Try with https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/download/confirmation?platform=windows&locale=en_US&product=codwz

Oh thanks for that, man. Yet Another Game Launcher installing now..... We'll see how long before it's uninstalled again.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Revised Specs

3. Re: DOOM Eternal Revised Specs Mar 10, 2020, 18:56 ForgedReality

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 17:55:
1080p, highish. Mostly what I expected.

Still think I'll go at least another year before building a new PC. This one is just over 4 years. Maybe cyberpunk makes me upgrade, maybe VR. Right now, nothing seems to really be pushing me on a 1080p monitor.

Sheeeeiiid.... My PC is much older than that. When did the i7-980x come out? And still nothing is pushing my PC on a 4k monitor. Granted, I did upgrade videocards several times since building this machine. Currently on a 1080 Ti.

Cyberpunk might get me to build a new PC, but apparently all CPUs (Intel and AMD) have severe fatal flaws now, so maybe I won't. My CPU might actually be old enough that it doesn't suffer from those flaws.

8. Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Mar 10, 2020, 18:49 ForgedReality

Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 18:05:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 17:52:
Looks pretty.

Really? From the video, I thought it looked extremely dated, like it should have come out 8 years ago or something.
Well, the video shows me graphics prettier than BFV or PUBG. Perhaps it's the editing?
Since I'm on a 280x, I'll take anything that runs on this old supernova.

I love how the servers are completely overrun so now you can't even download it. I was willing to check it out for free. A huge map with 150 simultaneous players could explain the low-fidelity graphics, but what explains the low-fidelity servers when referencing a billion dollar company?

Just look at that lovely error page, as if they never expected anyone to ever see it. >_<

https://blog.activision.com/warzone/download

6. Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Mar 10, 2020, 17:52 ForgedReality

Looks pretty.

4. Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Mar 10, 2020, 17:32 ForgedReality

So is this the one where they finally make COD good or nah?  

News Comments > Into the Black

5. Re: Into the Black Mar 10, 2020, 02:29 ForgedReality

...or, how about just a wave, you massive fucking nerds? :-eyeroll-:  

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Tease

3. Re: American Truck Simulator Tease Mar 10, 2020, 02:15 ForgedReality

I really don't get the appeal of games like this. Someone help me understand.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 9, 2020, 03:47 ForgedReality

Having a ton of fun with Deep Rock Galactic. A buddy at work recommended it to me, and it did not disappoint. I feel like once I unlock more stuff, it might start to feel less exciting and maybe repetitive, but for now, whee! Totally worth the $15 I paid.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance

2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 9, 2020, 03:02 ForgedReality

Does it come with the option to upgrade to Windows 7?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 13, 2020, 10:44 ForgedReality

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 15:32:
Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 14:44:
The real estate market is just out of control on the west coast but I guess I can't say NY is particularly good in this regard either.
Yep. Fortunately the real estate market in my area is mostly stable. Possibly in part due to being a college town, there are always professors coming and going. I bought my house near the top of the national real estate bubble (2005) but wasn't significantly affected when the crash came. Purchased for $176k, Zillow estimates me at $202k now, which is probably a bit high -- I'd guess $190k-195k. Slow growth, but that's fine with me..

Where the fuck do you live? Holy crap! That's super fucking cheap. I can't find anything around here under $450k, and that's for the ultra-garbage piece of shit, old as fuck, falling apart, disgusting neighborhood, nobody is ever gonna fucking buy this shit tier housing.

2302 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >