Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 3296 (Veteran)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 14:51 BobBob

Wrong day.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2017, 15:19.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2017, 19:19 BobBob

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 17:58:
Oh, one more thing: Before you feed your doggie anything as a treat, make sure to check that it's safe for them to eat. Some of the weirdest things are absolutely toxic to them. A single raisin can kill your dog, for example.

Great point! I was at Trader Joe's and was looking at doggie treats. Some have a variety of ingredients, but one was pure beef liver. Isn't the beef liver the safest, being that's pure?

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
39. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 25, 2017, 19:18 BobBob

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 12:00:
Capella wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 10:58:
Why can't they just make the damn episode already? I have never understood what the hell happened for them not to finish this.

It is much too late now, of course, but it is definitely puzzling why the fuck they did not simply wrap it up back then especially with that major cliffhanger at the end of episode 2.

Episode 1 + 2 were pretty short and just more of the same so they should have been able to crank out a third episode with (relatively speaking) minimal effort.

Even if the sales of episode 1 and 2 were way down from the original game to the point that the episodic format would have to be considered a "failure", I doubt that it would have ruined Valve if they would have made a third episode for closure.

Besides, they could have cashed in on more complete versions (the now even more orange box or something).

I have long stopped giving a fuck. Valve has no respect for the HL franchise so why should I? Fuck that game.
There have been many more, better story-driven FPS in the meantime. HL was special back then because it was more than just run&gun but it has long since lost that USP.

There are so many great gaming universes and stories to explore nowadays. I don't need to know how the (getting lamer with each iteration anyway) story of Gertrude vs. the aliens would continue. Yawn.

^^^^

This is why nerds are bullied in school.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2017, 17:46 BobBob

Filming a lightning strike ... almost as stupid as ...

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2017, 16:58 BobBob

Creston wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 09:55:

Wow an encyclopedia of advice! Thank you! Hope you don't mind if I pick your brain in the future.

Here's a picture they showed me of when she was even younger. Grin

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 15:27 BobBob

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 14:45:
Nah, the girl is just holding up treats. Every dog will go nuts if you do that. It's also a bad thing to do, because you're teaching the dog that jumping up and grabbing food out of your hand is perfectly okay, which is not the kind of behavior you want. (They'll jump up on you to snatch food when you're not expecting it.)

Good to know. I hope we can train that out of her. I want to take the adopted dog to a doggy obedience school and for my wife and I to be trained as new pet owners.

My main concern as a first time dog owner is how should I prepare? Is there an online guide on for "First time dog ownership"? What should I purchase and be prepared to feed her? How do I know when she needs to do her duty outside? The foster person has a dog door, but we don't.

She seems very cute. I wouldn't think she's too high strung, but maybe see if you can find a video where she's not being enticed with treats :)

The only video I could find is in the opposite extreme.

I was told by her foster parent that she believes the dog will mellow out after she's over the puppy phase.

Awwww, he's so cute too. Far more mellow and relaxed, but that makes sense at age 4 versus 9 months. I think both of them would make fine pets (Get them both! ).

So tempting ...

I would be cautious about how much walking you make them do, though, because they're both very small. An hour walk should be okay, but multiple hours of hiking will be too much for them, so take that into account.

I was wondering about that. I'm tempted to purchase this backpack. That way on long hikes he/she can hop inside, while I continue walking.

Hope it helps :)

More than you know!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 09:59 BobBob

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 09:48:
BobBob wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 15:32:
You bring up an interesting point. Where I live is minutes from the beach and many walking / hiking trails. We hope to walk the dog morning, noon, and night 30 minutes to an hour each time, and we like to walk/hike for hours on weekends.

Can a little dog handle so much walking or does it depend on the breed? Is the one I showed going to be too small for such adventures, even when fully grown?

I also saw something like this, which might help if the dog gets tired?

How little is little? I didn't see a link to the doggie anywhere? If you're talking about a tiny little dog (Think chihuahua size), an hour's worth of walking at slow human pace is probably okay, but several hours would be too much. Also, be careful on hiking trails, as there can be sharp rocks. You might want to invest in some doggie booties at that point.

A carrying backpack can definitely help when a tiny dog gets tired, as by and large they don't mind being picked up/carried. Typically though, the larger the dog gets, the less it likes being picked up/carried. (Unless it's just lazy )

I just made another post with a couple of videos of the dogs. Are you able to see them? They should give an idea of what we are considering. Opinions are appreciated.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2017, 11:32.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 09:57 BobBob

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 09:35:
BobBob wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 10:45:
I don't trust other discussion sites - literally - I participate in the discussions here but avoid other places for the most part I simply lurk.

So I'm thinking of adopting a rescue dog and she's 9 months. Does that mean she's a puppy? What am I looking at when adopting a 9 month year old dog? I'm just wanting to gather as much knowledge, ideas, and opinions as I can.

I've never owned a dog - though I've had numerous other kinds of pets. I had a relative who had Boxers, which are pretty high energy dogs, I used to play with them a lot and they were fun.

9 months old is still a puppy, but she'll have done most of her growing by that point (she may gain another 5-10% or so) and her behavior should be reasonably established. Ideally she'll be potty trained and at least be over her initial instinct to chew on literally everything.

Be careful about adopting a breed that is high energy. We got a Border collie (which is about the highest energy breed you can get), and he literally needs to be kept entertained for most hours of the day or he gets bored. We love it, but if you want a dog that you only need to pay attention to for an hour a day or so, go with a low energy breed.

All that said, a dog is a wonderful companion, and I can never encourage people enough to adopt them. Just please don't do it lightly. If you adopt a dog, make sure you are willing and capable (especially financially) of taking care of it. Your dog WILL get sick. it WILL get injured. It WILL require significant cash in vet bills from time to time. If you are unable or unwilling to invest the time and energy, please do not adopt one.

I have a colleague whose <1 year old doggie has had a limp for a few weeks, and the fucker is talking about putting it down, because the vet bills to fix it would be too high...

Yep, we want to get pet insurance and plan to create a bank for the dog's health, food, etc.

On the subject of energy level. Very well stated and all good points to consider. I'll take that strongly into consideration.

Here's a video posted of her.

It seems like in the video the person is agitating the dog, but it could be the personality of the dog too.

I was told by her foster parent that she believes the dog will mellow out after she's over the puppy phase.

Another rescue group wants to introduce us to a similar type of dog. Here's a video of him.

He's wearing the green collar and he's 4 years old.

All opinions and advice are welcome.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 17:34 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 16:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 15:10:
State Dept. science envoy resigns with letter that spells out 'Impeach'

Keith Olbermann Predicts How It Will All End For Trump
Spoiler: oranges resignation will come about at the end of Mueller’s investigation.

If you could reason with a tRUMP supporter there wouldn't be any tRUMP supporters.
He'll never resign. That would involve admitting he was wrong which he's incapable of admitting.

He would launch a full Twitteristic assault and call forth his confederate-sympathizing minions.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 16:42 BobBob

Is it a good idea to put your full name, address, and phone # on the dog's tag?  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 15:32 BobBob

Blue wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 12:05:
Dogs need regular walks, too. The nice thing about little ones is that you don't have to walk as far if you're lazy.

You bring up an interesting point. Where I live is minutes from the beach and many walking / hiking trails. We hope to walk the dog morning, noon, and night 30 minutes to an hour each time, and we like to walk/hike for hours on weekends.

Can a little dog handle so much walking or does it depend on the breed? Is the one I showed going to be too small for such adventures, even when fully grown?

I also saw something like this, which might help if the dog gets tired?

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2017, 15:44.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 15:26 BobBob

PHJF wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 12:34:
Here's my boy we adopted from a foster back in May this year. He was about a year at the time.

Cute.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 11:35 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 11:32:
BobBob wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 10:41:
I have this and .. it sucks.
Yeah, that sounds like it sucks.

As far as the dog goes, I believe it is pretty standard to consider any dog less than a year old as a puppy. You'll want to check on the breed to find out how big the dog will get, although at 9 months, I'd think you should be able to tell by now -- but can't hurt to double check. Biggest thing in my mind is always realizing getting a dog is not a minor task. If you don't absolutely love the idea of having a dog, you shouldn't get one.

Do you have a dog and what kind?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 10:45 BobBob

I don't trust other discussion sites - literally - I participate in the discussions here but avoid other places for the most part I simply lurk.

So I'm thinking of adopting a rescue dog and she's 9 months. Does that mean she's a puppy? What am I looking at when adopting a 9 month year old dog? I'm just wanting to gather as much knowledge, ideas, and opinions as I can.

I've never owned a dog - though I've had numerous other kinds of pets. I had a relative who had Boxers, which are pretty high energy dogs, I used to play with them a lot and they were fun.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 10:41 BobBob

Do you have arthritis?

I have this and .. it sucks. The only thing that keeps in check is constant exercise. But some days it's so inflamed I can barely get of the chair.

21. Re: Solar Eclipse... Aug 23, 2017, 08:51 BobBob

SlimRam wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 01:15:
BobBob wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 00:18:
Anyone good a guessing what a dog's mix of breeds are based upon how it looks?
Maybe a mix between a Spaniel and a Chihuahua? It's strange for sure, don't think i've ever seen one like it?

Believe it or not, she's supposed to be a Pekingese Terrier mix. They said she also has a third breed in her and I'm trying to figure it out. We are considering her for our first dog ownership as a rescue adoption. She's 9 months old.

More pictures: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Figuring out the breed is purely academic. Her personality and behavior is what's most important.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2017, 10:07.

17. Re: Solar Eclipse... Aug 23, 2017, 00:18 BobBob

Anyone good a guessing what a dog's mix of breeds are based upon how it looks?  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2017, 19:13 BobBob

"The total phase of this solar eclipse was not visible in Washington DC, but it could be observed there as a partial solar eclipse. The Moon covered a large portion of the Sun, so this was a spectacular sight."

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/washington-dc

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2017, 18:25 BobBob

This picture sums up the Trump presidency.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2017, 16:29 BobBob

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 15:50:
BobBob wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 15:36:
Retired wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 15:23:
I find it odd that the videos of the event people are cheering......feels so archaic.

You're right. This pales in comparison to all the major social and scientific progress we've had with the current administration.
You could hear cheers in a vacuum if Adolf Twitler resigned.

We can be thankful that the Voyager spacecraft is not accessible via Twitter.

Did V'ger start the Borg?

3296 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo