Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2882 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 11:32 BobBob

Buying lots of popcorn. The entertainment just got started.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

118. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 11:23 BobBob

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 10:37:
BobBob wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 10:29:
Well, if that's the case, you're only hope is to get a boat and live in the open sea. Because you're saying that democracy never works. Or do you offer a solution?

Yeah, and it's not that difficult a solution either. Stop with the ridiculous cash contributions for policy. Everyone's railing about the Supreme Court going republican, but it was the democratically led SCOTUS that did the utterly insane "Corporations can now bribe politicians directly" interpretation.

Stop lobbying. Stop bribes. Stop letting Comcast just give a senator 30K in "campaign contributions", and suddenly that Senator is voting that Comcast should be allowed to raise their fees by 17000 dollars a month, and now comcast subscriptions are mandatory for everyone living in their service area.

I mean, they're not even TRYING to hide it anymore.

There used to be a time when this shit was illegal, but not anymore. As long as this goes on, the entire concept of democracy is null and void. Maybe we can call it "Democracy for the Rich."

California Prop 59 - Passed

108. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 10:29 BobBob

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 10:21:
BobBob wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 10:18:
It's proof that we are not ruled by an oligarchy. We can dislike, fear, and even dread the results but we must admit, our democracy works.

It is / does it? We can still elect a weirdo as president, but the next four years will pretty much guaranteed go against the wishes of 90+% of the population, and be entirely dictated by the will of those with millions/billions to spend in lobbying fees bribes.

I'm fairly sure that's considered an oligarchy...

Well, if that's the case, you're only hope is to get a boat and live in the open sea. Because you're saying that democracy never works. Or do you offer a solution?

105. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 10:18 BobBob

Many of us voted for Hillary and Trump won. But let's stand back in awe and respect of the US Constitution. It has proven it truly works. Democracy lives. No matter how much media bias, elitism, campaign money, intellectualism, and faulty polling is tossed around, a silent majority has won an election. It's proof that we are not ruled by an oligarchy. We can dislike, fear, and even dread the results but we must admit, our democracy works. The next election needs to be about all of the people, including the silent ones.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 17:02 BobBob

Predictions?

Presidential winner? Number of electoral votes? Results contested or accepted?

Propositions passed? Propositions failed?

Example:

Death penalty - kept or abolished?
Marijuana - legalized or not?
Single use plastic bags - banned or allowed?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2016, 18:11 BobBob

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 17:29:
BobBob wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 17:06:
What are your predictions on what will transpire in tonight's presidential debate?

I'm hoping for a well timed freak meteor incident so we no longer have to hear anything from either one of them ever again, personally.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-meteor-idUSKCN12I20S

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2016, 17:06 BobBob

What are your predictions on what will transpire in tonight's presidential debate?  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 19:41 BobBob

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 19:05:
BobBob wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 17:45:
Grr ..

So eBay has a 100% guarantee, but wait, stop ... not so fast. Seller sends me wrong item. I message seller. No response. I request return. Seller sends me a return label. Zero communication. No apology. Nothing.

I call eBay .. So basically, not only did I get the wrong item, in order to get my money back, I must get a new envelope, tape it up, drive to the post office (costing time and gas money) and then return it myself. Their suggestion is to leave the seller feedback. That's it? No credit for loss of money - gas and envelope - and inconvenience?

Never again ... Going to use Amazon or a direct online store -- with a solid customer service reputation -- in the future.

There are some things you have to go to eBay for, but in general, yeah... Amazon is really great with returns these days. All you have to do is put whatever is wrong or damaged back in the packaging it came in and UPS will pick it up for free. You don't even have to put a label on, they bring that with them.

Torch that seller's feedback rep and don't look back!

Thanks for that. I'll leave a negative feedback. I try to make it a habit of not giving any feedback, simply voting with my money (to be a returning customer or go elsewhere), but in this case I don't seem to have much choice.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 17:45 BobBob

Grr ..

So eBay has a 100% guarantee, but wait, stop ... not so fast. Seller sends me wrong item. I message seller. No response. I request return. Seller sends me a return label. Zero communication. No apology. Nothing.

I call eBay .. So basically, not only did I get the wrong item, in order to get my money back, I must get a new envelope, tape it up, drive to the post office (costing time and gas money) and then return it myself. Their suggestion is to leave the seller feedback. That's it? No credit for loss of money - gas and envelope - and inconvenience?

Never again ... Going to use Amazon or a direct online store -- with a solid customer service reputation -- in the future.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 17:44 BobBob

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 17:05:
Its funny BobBob, cause youre arguments could be used to make a case that humans aren't fully sentient either, or to be more precise that we don't have true free will.

Thumbsup

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 14:26 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 12:07:
Heard a fantastic conversation yesterday on the CBC program, Spark. Professor of Cognitive Science at UCAL Irvine, Don Hoffman, discusses how our perception of reality is pretty deeply flawed. I recall reading articles about this in SciAm several years ago and it looks like the science is finally starting to bear this out.

Is Reality Just Perception?

They also discuss the role of AI in things to come and that got me thinking of that TNG episode where they have to determine if Data is sentient and property of Star Fleet or not. Well wouldn't that apply to AI? I mean, if man can create a truly sentient, intelligent being why would we think we ever have the right to control it? That would be enslavement. Yet, could we afford to allow such an unknown variable to run around completely unchecked?

I'll play devils advocate here.

The question is how do we control the AI. As opposed to being not controlled - like humans - independently willed individuals. However, we are not independently willed - a person is being highly controlled by language, upbringing, technology, culture, law, and thousands of overt and subtle, social and environmental, pressures. A person simply 'believes and identifies' that his/her thoughts and behaviors are by choice, which fundamentally isn't true.

Our minute to minute choices are more similar to driving on a roadway - signals, sharing the road, choosing routes, etc. - vs. a craft flying through space. These schematas are necessary. It's the only way an individual can efficiently function in the surrounding world, but it also means one's 'true' will and individuality is greatly limited.

I can easily demonstrate this:

When you see a car, what do you think and see? Imagine, for a moment, that you've never seen a car before nor understand how it works. How would you think and react? I'll bet you can't authentically imagine how that would be, your mind is too conditioned to comprehend and react to it.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2016, 14:39.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 19:03 BobBob

If you're a single, self-respecting, female, you should put this map on your refrigerator.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 18:54 BobBob

They should build walls around the states that he does win.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 14:30 BobBob

Based on recent news, events, and debates .. who is winning Hillary or Trump?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2016, 16:18 BobBob

eDave wrote on Sep 26, 2016, 15:50:
I honestly can't bring myself to watch. It won't be a "debate" and it won't matter anyhow. I suppose all Hillary has to do is goad him into saying stupid, stupid stuff. Shouldn't be that difficult. Finish him off by "debating" foreign policy. Tell him to grow up maybe.

I'll catch the highlights on the line. That were this shitfest came from anyway.

Please delete, Blue, if I have violated anything here with this post. And my apologies if I did.

Well articulated post. Nothing offensive. Thumbsup

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2016, 16:17 BobBob

You're probably right about minds already made up:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/california/#plus

I guess it's the 'swing states' that we have to watch:

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/swing-states

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2016, 14:24 BobBob

Who will win tonight's presidential debate? Thoughts? Predictions?  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2016, 21:25 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 18:07:
Whenever I was in the US when I was living on the west coast I always used to go to Peets Coffee, especially in the Bay area. Anyone frequent Peets? Is it still good?

I go there every once in awhile when I'm heading to LAX for travel.

Otherwise, my new favorite is Philz! Thumbsup

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
16. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 12, 2016, 21:11 BobBob

Too bad they tried so hard to push the hardware envelope. Could have had zero performance issues and possibly just as fun.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2016, 14:09 BobBob

A person should never leave a dog in a car.  

2882 Comments. 145 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo