Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 3320 (Veteran)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
66. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 11:18 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 20:43:
BobBob wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 19:04:
Will DNA scans ever get so advanced to test for psychopathic alleles - as part of a background check?
Did the guy exhibit any psychopathy previously? Doesn't sound like psychopathy. A psychopath wouldn't wire his GF $100K.

His father was, which is reason enough to see if it carried on genetically. Psychopaths often operate as completely normal and highly successful - if not compelling and attractive - in society until he/she is caught being manipulative or performing an heinous act.

One of a multitude of articles on the subject.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 19:04 BobBob

Will DNA scans ever get so advanced to test for psychopathic alleles - as part of a background check?  

50. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 15:37 BobBob

Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 15:35:
Gotta agree with Verno. If something as sensible and logical as enhancing background checks (I mean seriously - who would oppose something like that?) could meet such vehement resistance as it did in the Obama era, there's literally no hope for greater gun control in the US.

I've lost most hope. When I visit Europe again and people ask me what country I'm from, I'll simply say, "California".

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2017, 19:17 BobBob

Was he mentally ill or will he be diagnosed mentally ill postmortem?  

News Comments > Tim Willits Calls QUAKE Design Dispute "Silly"
26. Re: Tim Willits Calls QUAKE Design Dispute Sep 5, 2017, 19:08 BobBob

In case anyone missed it: Carmack has left the building.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 18:57 BobBob

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 15:58:
BobBob wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 15:27:
Took dog to park. Sign clearly says pets on leash. Some old fat guy walking his dog without a leash... his dog sees my puppy and charges at me. My puppy totally panics and the guy is laughing. WTF ...

My old dog Lucy was tiny and we had an incident with a german shepherd off-leash. She was OK but I had to get involved physically and almost got a bite. After that I started carrying a pet spray in case situations ever escalated. It's legal here but obviously check it out in your area first. Basically pepper spray for dogs, no permanent damage or lasting injuries. Just be careful you don't get the other owner otherwise its potentially an assault charge.

My new dog is pretty big so I don't really worry about it anymore.

Everyone around here walks their dogs off leash in the public parks, it drives me crazy.

I will check the laws here and see what I can carry. I wish I could spray the owner though. It's not the dog's fault that the owner is a complete idiot.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 18:54 BobBob

Blue wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 16:42:
Took dog to park. Sign clearly says pets on leash. Some old fat guy walking his dog without a leash... his dog sees my puppy and charges at me. My puppy totally panics and the guy is laughing. WTF ...

I was well into my dog ownership when it struck me that I did not know how to react if we encountered a dog attack. This bears some research, and I found some good advice online, but cannot find the same article again.

One tip is to use the leash to protect your dog by corralling the attacker, but that doesn't help if your dog is attached to it.

The bit I was able to use once to protect the Gunnar-man was to grab the other dog by the tail and use it to hammer toss him away. I won't say I recommend it, since I can't find anything to vouch for it. But as crazy as it sounds, not only did it create a lot of distance between the dogs (I tossed him a good six or eight feet), but it startled the attacker out of his aggression (I think he was not willing to find out the next crazy thing I would do to him). His owner had just stood dumbstruck during the whole attack, so he didn't even say boop to me about throwing his dog around.

Anyway, do some research and find a way to feel comfortable that everyone is protected... I won't confirm or deny the rumor that I've been known to carry a retractable self-defense baton on doggie walks, but I like the sound of the pepper spray better, as you can make more liberal use of something less likely to cause permanent injuries.

Wow, that's intense. Thanks for the tip! I may get something that is a self defense - like a spray, horn, or baton (if it starts to get that bad). There are some seriously stupid dog owners out there.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 18:45 BobBob

Pigeon wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:41:

With the owners reaction, it's not hard to see why the dog behaved so poorly. In most of my run-ins with aggressive or poorly behaved dogs the owners have been jackasses and/or morons. Here's hopin your future adventures with the pup are idiot free.

Thank you. I'm asking around to see which are the better places to walk and have gotten a few tips. Police are useless. I actually called to find out what the leash law is around her. The lady said, "All dogs must be on leash." I explained my experience and she asked if the dog was being friendly or aggressive. To me that's like as though I call to report a drunk driver and the dispatcher asks, "Does he looks like a nice guy or a convicted felon?" ... Say what?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 18:34 BobBob

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:22:

Sucks man. There will always be shit pet owners.

Which doggie did you wind up getting?

A 9 month old puppy.

:smitten: (smilies broken?)

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 15:27 BobBob

News Comments > QUAKE Development History Dispute
36. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Sep 1, 2017, 00:35 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 20:29:
Is this like Al Gore saying he invented the Internet?

Well, he did play a major role in helping create it.

24. Re: Quake development Aug 31, 2017, 17:30 BobBob

Smart, but emotionally adolescent - a temperament which seems to be prevalent with game developers.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Best Buy rolls out consulting service at people's homes Aug 31, 2017, 13:24 BobBob

I hope the salespersons have had extensive and stringent background checks.  

11. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 13:03 BobBob

What happens when you have too much money and nothing else left to do.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 11:35 BobBob

Killes wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 07:42:
Caesar Milan is a showman first a foremost, some of his theories and methods are scientifically discredited, not that they necessarily do not work, but they are needlessly stressful for the dog (and this sucks, if we can do it gentler/better we should especially if the results are non the worse, there is no justification for other methods in that case) (other than it makes good TV!! )

Yah. I might be being stubborn, but I'll watch that guy for dogs as much as I'll watch Dr. Phil to handle family matters.

Meaning never ...

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 21:47 BobBob

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 20:44:
BobBob wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 19:36:
Bought this. Nerd with dog.
Ok, that's cool! Is pup chipped?

The chip will be updated with final adoption documents this Saturday! Allthumbsup

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 19:36 BobBob

Bought this. Nerd with dog.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 11:30 BobBob

What are your thoughts on "clicker training" for dogs? Book  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 18:16 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 18:10:
BobBob wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 15:11:
Any shared wisdom on controlling a dog while walking? 9 month old puppy barks at imaginary threats, other dogs, and sometimes people. Neighbor said: Tap on the leash and make sure dog looks at you when it's barking or growling. Then loosen the leash when dog is behaving. Only tension it up when wanting to control the dog or to avoid stuff. Set the walking pace for the dog, never let it take the lead.

Is he correct?

Any additional or contrary tips / advice?

P.S. This is our first time owning a dog.

Just grab them by the snout, look them in the eye and say 'No barking.' Eventually they get it and stop. And when I say grab them I don't mean savagely, just cup your hand around their snout and maintain eye contact. That's the sort of operant conditioning they easily understand.

How many and what kind of dogs do you have, Cutter?

Just curious.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 17:08 BobBob

Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:41:
BobBob wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:18:
Actually, while I totally respect her foster rescue parent, I'm not a fan of the whole "treat reward system". Perhaps I'm in the wrong, but I think that kind of reward system creates a dependency on receiving an object, where I believe good behavior should be rewarded with good feedback and praise (which is free, plenty, and always available). I reserve the right to contradict myself in a month or two.

You reward and reinforce positive behavior with the treats. The alternative is punishing bad behavior, which is cruel, and doesn't generally bring the desired result anyway. It's bad luck to have dog who isn't food motivated, since it just makes things harder. Remember Pavlov's dog? The treats start as a reward, but your dog ends up rewired (I just coined that).

That makes perfect sense, especially with the rewired comment. What you're saying is that it develops a new behavioral pattern that becomes dominant over time, the treats are used as an initial reinforcement to get to that point. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting.

3320 Comments. 166 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo