Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2825 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2015, 13:53 BobBob

My problem with streaming is that I cannot select classical (1730-1820) or baroque (1600-1760) music AND filter for 'period instruments'. My ears bleed when I hear romantic (modern) instruments being played for those eras. Snobby

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2015, 13:59.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 22, 2015, 12:15 BobBob

There will always be opportunists. Your tax money goes to a Congress that should be regulating this. Make them do their job.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2015, 15:57 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 14:41:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 05:45:
Saw Divergent and Insurgent tonight. I don't know what it is about films like the Divergent series, Maze Runner, Hunger Games, etc. I know they're suppose to be for teen adults. My coworkers keep reminding how much better the books are. But I find the stories very interesting. I really liked Divergent and Insurgent. I liked how straight forward they were. The story didn't flinch when main characters either good or bad had to died as part of the narration. And there was none of that "I'm evil so let me explain my evil plan" bullshit. I'm looking forward to next Divergent film. In the mean time Maze Runner 2 came out yesterday so I plan on seeing it since I really enjoyed the first film.

My daughter loves all those books and movies. She's seen and read them all a few times. Myself, I couldn't get really get into them (even though I've enjoyed other YA stuff like Harry Potter). I watched the first Hunger Games, but couldn't make it through the second.

That being said, both Jennifer Lawrence and Shaline Woodley are outstanding actresses, so I might try to watch just to see their performances.

I tried watching Hunger Games, but it was filmed with the "shaky camera" technique. It makes me feel dizzy. I've skipped watching several movies because of that.

56. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2015, 00:22 BobBob

PHJF wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 23:07:
You know what, I made my own peanut butter once. It tasted exactly like a jar of Jif, except mine was grainy and oily (because I don't have an industrial-strength food processor). And Jif has a whopping 3g of sugar per 2tbsp, which is roughly 8% of the sugar content of a can of Coke, and 6% of daily sodium. Just because a food isn't stocked in Heavily Bearded Hipster John's Coop doesn't mean it's going to give its consumers diabetes and heart disease.

For example, I often see jelly that is sold at a discount but when looking at the label, I notice that sugar is listed as the first ingredient.

Jelly is like one part sugar to one part fruit. That's like saying you saw a sweet tea with a ton of sugar in it.

My understanding is that the order in which the ingredients listed reveals the quantity for greater to smaller. If you see sugar listed before fruit it means it's made of more sugar. Is that not correct?

54. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2015, 22:47 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 22:01:
BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 16:21:

Whole Foods 365 'Organic' brand. No added salt or sugar.

Sounds expensive. You should just make your own.

Thanks for the link. I will give it a try! Thumbsup

50. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2015, 18:41 BobBob

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 16:57:
BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 16:21:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:45:
BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 11:10:
My favorite food is peanut butter. If aliens abducted me and said, "We only have the ability to replicate one food item for you.", I'd ask for peanut butter!

Skippy? Or Jif?

Just an added $12 a jar.

Haha. It's not that expensive. I can understand wanting to save money but often saving money means purchasing non-pure ingredients. For example, I often see jelly that is sold at a discount but when looking at the label, I notice that sugar is listed as the first ingredient. What's happening is that a person may think he/she is saving money, but is in fact paying more per-sugar as it is being used as a substitute for a lesser quantity of the main thing. Better off getting the smaller and 'seemingly more expensive' product that has less or no additives.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2015, 18:47.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2015, 16:21 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:45:
BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 11:10:
My favorite food is peanut butter. If aliens abducted me and said, "We only have the ability to replicate one food item for you.", I'd ask for peanut butter!

Skippy? Or Jif?

44. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2015, 11:10 BobBob

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2015, 10:31 BobBob

So glad summer is over! The empty beaches await my return.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2015, 19:06 BobBob

Great discussion everyone! This forum is a nice relief from my normal, day to day, encounters with human stupidity. Based on what everyone is saying, it makes me wonder if I should eat meat, or at least poultry, as part of a more balanced approach, instead of going to an extreme. Thumbsup  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2015, 16:45 BobBob

As to the political 'debate', the entire circus and lack of intellectualism is simply embarrassing. Sadly, people don't find it shameful, so it continues. I'm sure my complaint has been around for generations. It's the lack of fundamentally agreed upon philosophies that hurts us the most, but ironically, it's the only way to prevent a tyranny. I suppose the most important aspect is the process, by which no solution is meant to be achievable - for if that happens we will lose our freedom to disagree. It's an intentional paradox that is meant to serve as a means to prevent absolute rule.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2015, 17:37.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2015, 14:46 BobBob

I want to become completely vegeterian, but I need to get over my cheese addiction.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 17:07 BobBob

If you lived in a city, you are allowed to call it by its abbreviation because you earned it. I have a long list.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 12:36 BobBob

San Fran?!? Ah, the language of the non-local or 'never been there'. Don't get me started on 'Frisco'.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2015, 16:17 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 15:43:

Have you seen Elvis?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2015, 14:45 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 12:52:
It's weird, you read about people remembering the exact moment they heard about Pearl Harbor or JFK getting shot. But you don't understand exactly what they're talking about until you experience such an event for yourself. I remember in such vivid detail watching the attacks on TV, where I was, what I was doing, the smells, the light through the windows, everything.

My heart goes out not only to those who suffered loss on that day, but those who continue to suffer illness from the fallout of that event.

I remember driving to work that morning. Cars were literally pulling over to the side of the freeway to listen to the radio announcements. Crazy times.

I use to fly out to NY and stay with a girlfriend who lived in Upper East Side Manhattan. Felt like a second home for awhile. The news was crushing.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
33. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 14:09 BobBob

Besides eating, shitting, sleeping, working, making love and participating in the occasional hobby, is your life really that important to the rest of the world or universe? Most likely not. We all end up dead like the many generations before us who were clueless, seeking answers, avoiding death, wishing to be immortal, and always wanting for some kind of meaning.

At least a person 'who doesn't seem to care' is sort of content, instead of living in a constant paranoid state, wondering what grand conspiracy may or may not exist.

So far, I have observed two types of (harmless) conspiracy theorists.

Bruised Ego:

This person finds life so meaningless he/she looks to romanticize everything into an epic story, where he/she takes center stage as the victim of a dramatic play. A dark force is trying to mislead, fool, and challenge him/her by hiding some kind of ulterior agenda. Evil forces are always trying to convince the person (via the media, social pressure, or perhaps something in the water) into thinking that there is NOT a wizard behind the curtain. Something else is there, crushing the person's oppurtunity to be god-like. Hence, life is not completely pointless, it's simply being oppressed by 'whatever it is' out there trying to prevent the person from being so important - stealing his/her spotlight and true purpose in life.

Not My Fault:

This person will attribute everything to a higher source of power or to a combination of groups behind a grand scheme. Convinced that someone else or something else is truly in charge of what is happening. The person will constantly complain and seek the reasons for why something occurs but always conclude the strings are being pulled by an untouchable puppet master. Hence, the person can blame 'the powers' but concedes to the notion he/she can do nothing about it. The person is content to simply blame someone/something else for 'bad things' without feeling compelled to do anything to truly stop it. The person doesn't want to 'stop it' because he/she would be forced to concede that 'it' wasn't there in the first place.

Simply Crazy:

There is a third type that is simply crazy and should be on constant meds or locked away. The crazy types are the ones who violently act on a belief. Very dangerous. Society's law makers and politicians need do a better job in preventing this type from walking the streets.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2015, 16:56.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2015, 11:15 BobBob

MajorD wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 10:25:
LiTh wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 10:04:
nin wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 09:44:

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 00:05 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 21:50:
Meh, he made a relevant point: there are ways to not have to deal with Windows.

Thank you. Thumbsup

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 10, 2015, 20:56 BobBob

I pretty much use my iPad exclusively for work and writing now. Combined with a PadHat (Hoodivision), Keys-To-Go (Logitech) Defender Case (OtterBox) and various apps like DocsToGo, NoteMaster, Editorial, and some other utilities, I have everything I need to work and travel just about anywhere. I also like that it's instantly on when I need it. Waiting for a computer to wake from sleep or cold boot is just too time consuming.  

2825 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo