Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 3320 (Veteran)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2017, 18:16 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 09:34:
BobBob wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 03:55:
Just saw the movie Arrival.

Spoiler questions / comments:

If she is living non-linear how did she not know about the phone call? She acted surprised. And how did she save mankind the first round if she didn't know the number? Why would she ever need it?

Lastly, lack of knowledge (phone number) would indicate linear thinking, but in the future she is non-linear. So which is it?

Are these a major plot holes?

On the other hand maybe she doesn't realize she's existing in subtle but alternate-divergent timelines or universes. She might simply be delusional.

Super secret
Why doesn't she know about the phone call?

Well -- talking about non-linear events almost always makes for confusing verbiage. My personal spin: She is surprised because she is only just figuring out what's going on. That the visions of a child, her child, are not some fantasy but that she is seeing her future. And realizing she can manipulate her action in that future which enables her to change the present. She isn't "living non-linear", ie... she isn't moving forward and backward in time, she is simply seeing and interacting with her future. Unless I'm misremembering you aren't shown her changing the past.

Now your next question is a standard time travel plot problem. Terminator.. how was John Conner ever born the first time, without Kyle having gone back in time to father him. How can the general be at the party for her to get the phone number, unless she already called him. It is pretty much unavoidable to have a problem like this when you are dealing with time altering events. I don't really understand your "Why would she ever need it?" question.

If you consider this a major plot hole, no film containing any form of time manipulation isn't guilty of it.

Response:

I get the whole loop thing. But the moment he gave her the phone # means that she didn't have it, meaning at some point she saved the world without the phone #. There must of been a 'primary timeline' before the causal loop was created, otherwise it would cause a paradox (meaning, it couldn't happen .. as paradoxes prevent things from happening, they aren't just a matter of fact issue). Also, the fact she didn't know the phone # meant she existed in a linear timeline (at that scene) up until the point of knowing it, for her past self can know it. Spin... I'm sure I'm overthinking this. When I write a story involving time travel, my main character is always aware of paradoxes and creating divergent timelines, going through great trouble to not disturb an existing timeline, create paradoxes, spawning divergent timelines, or causing total annihilation.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2017, 18:08 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 17:35:
My aunt passed away this morning at 6:09 AM PST.

Thoughts and prayers.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2017, 03:55 BobBob

Just saw the movie Arrival.

Spoiler questions / comments:

If she is living non-linear how did she not know about the phone call? She acted surprised. And how did she save mankind the first round if she didn't know the number? Why would she ever need it?

Lastly, lack of knowledge (phone number) would indicate linear thinking, but in the future she is non-linear. So which is it?

Are these a major plot holes?

On the other hand maybe she doesn't realize she's existing in subtle but alternate-divergent timelines or universes. She might simply be delusional.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2017, 15:49 BobBob

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 15:20:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 03:18:
Creston wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 00:42:
BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 18:58:
What the ... F

Can we also get a law that it's legal to hunt people who hunt bears?

Especially baby bears...
Tender, delicious baby bear meat burgers. Sign me up!

Ha. I hope you aren't serious.

I encountered a black bear in Alaska. I had to backtrack and I was lucky enough to meet some fellow hikers. We all talked loudly and made a lot of noise to keep the bear away. Definitely, an unforgettable experience.

76. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 18, 2017, 13:49 BobBob

Redmask wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 12:52:
Rigs wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 15:23:
You had time to read the entire thread yet not enough to read my three paragraphs? Inquisitive

Okay... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

He was being polite but I lack that filter, you ramble like an 85 year old widower with way too much time on his hands and obviously love to reread your own text. You can't blame everyone else when they can't be bothered to find the point buried in a such pile of shit. It shows a lack of respect for others time and it comes off as trying to bury opposing view points with chaff until people give up.

This isn't high school debate club. Get to the point or most people simply won't bother.

A lot of the posts in these online debates are highly verbose. You may not like what he said, or how he said it, but I personally found it coherent, humorous and non-offensive. I don't see the point of cursing at him or crushing his words. He was calling for decency, and I'm not sure why anyone find that offensive, even if disagreed with.

If you want long winded ...

To all those who have had the misfortune to imbibe Redmask's incompetent words, I have one thing to say: Redmask believes that the ideas of “freedom” and “ageism” are Siamese twins only because he has a need to believe that. But first, let me pose you a question: Is he actually concerned about any of us or does he just want to cause one-sided ebullitions to be entered into historical fact? After reading this letter, you'll unmistakably find it's the latter. Given this context, we need to return to the idea that motivated this letter: He should stop calling me a disputatious, lousy bum. Although I've been called worse things by better people, no one likes being attacked by heinous windbags. Even worse, Redmask exploits our fear of those attacks—which he claims will evolve as soon as our backs are turned into biological, chemical, or nuclear attacks—as a pretext to fix blame for social stress, economic loss, or loss of political power on a target group whose constructed guilt provides a simplistic explanation. If you think that's scary, then you should remember that if Redmask opened his eyes, he'd realize that at no time in the past did otiose party animals shamble through the streets of cities, demanding rights they imagine some supernatural power has bestowed upon them.

There are two challenges we must face if we wish to repair the disruptive world we have inherited from Redmask. The first challenge is to investigate the development of revanchism as a concept. This is only slightly less difficult than the second challenge, which is to convey to people the knowledge that Redmask does, occasionally, make a valid point. But when he says that his debauches are the result of a high-minded urge to do sociological research, that's where the facts end and the ludicrousness begins. We desperately need to give our propaganda fighters an instrument that is very much needed at this time. It's not enough merely to keep our heads down and pray that Redmask doesn't cure the evil of discrimination with more discrimination. As I like to say, if you set the bar low, you jump low. It's astounding that he has found a way to work the words “stereophotogrammetry” and “protobasidiomycetous” into his ventures. However, you may find it even more astounding that if we let him redefine unbridled self-indulgence as a virtue, as the ultimate test of personal freedom, all we'll have to look forward to in the future is a public realm devoid of culture and a narrow and routinized professional life untouched by the highest creations of civilization.

Redmask proclaims at every opportunity that he'd never ridicule the accomplishments of generations of great men and women. The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks. It's clear enough that he knew of his encomiasts' plans to place our children at imminent risk of serious harm. However, Redmask contented himself with a private, pro forma call for restraint—in other words, a green light. This call may even have encouraged his encomiasts' actions by obscuring the fact that Redmask's insinuations are more than randy. They fill me with a sense of despair. More than anything else, they make me realize that some of Redmask's forces were kind enough to provide a locus classicus for Redmask's true intentions. They wrote, “Redmask told us that what he wants more than anything else is to cement the foundation of our currently metastasizing police state into the law of the land.” I don't know about you, but that tells me that Redmask somehow manages to maintain a straight face when saying that the most valuable skill one can have is the ability to lie convincingly. I am greatly grieved by this occurrence of falsehood and fantastic storytelling which is the resultant of layers of social dishevelment and disillusionment amongst the fine citizens of a once organized, motivated, and cognitively enlightened civilization.

Once in a blue moon, which is still far too often, one encounters the lie that an open party with unlimited access to alcohol can't possibly outgrow the host's ability to manage the crowd. A quick way to refute this myth is to note that Redmask should have been placed long ago in a locked psychiatric unit. I would have committed him to such a facility under the justification that he says that trees cause more pollution than automobiles do. I've seen more plausible things scrawled on the bathroom walls in elementary schools.

The cast-off ideas of debunked philosophy on which Redmask has based most of his evil, lickerish utterances do tell us one thing. They tell us that Redmask's machinations are not only politically, economically, and sociologically unsound; they are morally wrong and wishy-washy. Their only saving grace is that they remind us that every time Redmask spouts some nonsense about how we can all live together happily without laws, like the members of some 1960s-style dope-smoking commune, the effect is that his chums become even more loyal to him. Sociologists refer to the phenomenon of increased devotion to a peccable theory at the very hour of its destruction by external evidence as “cognitive dissonance”. I call it proof that many of the people I've talked to have said that Redmask and his foot soldiers should all be put up against a wall and given traitors' justice. Without commenting on that specifically I'd merely like to point out that I intend to anneal discourse with honesty, clear thinking, and a sense of moral good. That's the path that I have chosen. It's honestly not an easy path, but then again, the basal lie that underlies all of Redmask's nerdy soliloquies is that the Universe belongs to him by right. Translation: Truth is merely a social construct. I doubt you need any help from me to identify the supreme idiocy of those views, but you should nevertheless be aware that Redmask's reason is not true reason. It does not seek the truth but only bilious answers, nutty resolutions to conflicts. So, sorry for being so long-winded in this letter, but I am skeptical of efforts to produce a cynical definition of “mediterraneanization”.

Source

Scott Pakin's automatic complaint-letter generator

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 18:58 BobBob

What the ... F  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 17:11 BobBob

afka Rossini wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 11:54:
BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 11:05:
Anyone else in SoCal? All this forecast in the news of a major rain storm and so far it's barely drizzling. I was looking forward to heavy rainfall.
Wait for it...

You were right! Now it's super rainy and windy. Thumbsup

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 16:54 BobBob

In other words, the boy who cried wolf is getting paid by the wolf.

So the next time the boy cries, the wolf can later attack the village?

73. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:50 BobBob

Oops. Wrong thread.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 16:18 BobBob

Is it or isn't it?

Or is it really this?

Dizzy

69. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 14:27 BobBob

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:21:
BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:05:

I agree with your points. I'm not sure why some people are even putting up a fight. The person is a deliberate troll and should be banned -- reactively and proactively.

What's interesting about that Bob is that several times I have defended your right to post here even when others were saying you were a contentless troll. It wasn't that long ago that even Blue himself had exasperation with your posts.

There's a major difference, I don't engage in personal attacks. It would be like equating a violent criminal with a petty criminal and saying since both are a nuisance and they are exactly same: 'criminals'.

Also, I don't see Cutter engaging in direct and unprovoked personal attacks either .. unless you have evidence to the contrary.

And, I hope you have noticed, I've chilled out quite a bit and try to contribute to the discussions, but I rarely ever criticize a person directly, unless in obvious jest and he/she knows I'm joking.

Can you say the same about the other person in question?

66. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 14:05 BobBob

Rigs wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:04:
Creston wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 12:50:
Rigs wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 02:10:
I don't ignore anyone. It's not in my nature.

But it IS in your nature to ask for someone being banned? Because that's... better?

Depends on the situation. I never said I was better than anyone else. I don't preach from a moral high ground. I'm no saint. I'm just sick of constantly seeing him put others down for no reason other than to be a douche (and because he either, A] is really trolling or B] thinks it makes him more intelligent or C] thinks it makes him somehow better than everyone else). Are you playing Devil's Advocate or are you really asking if my wanting him banned is somehow worse than what he does? Thanks for questioning my integrity over the use of one word, though, I appreciate that, Creston. Of everything said in this thread, I'm not quite sure why you jumped at that particular thing, but so be it. Disappointing.

=-Rigs-=

I agree with your points. I'm not sure why some people are even putting up a fight. The person is a deliberate troll and should be banned -- reactively and proactively.

A simple review of the posts pretty much sums up the evidence. And it's not difficult to tell it's the same person.

I wouldn't be surprised me if it's a smurf.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2017, 14:18.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 12:55 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 12:41:
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. This wasn't some kid, he is 24 years old. Unless he has some mental condition which reduces his capacity to act like an adult it would seem a criminal conviction is not out of line.

What's with Florida and all the crazies, or is it a false impression?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 12:08 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 11:53:
BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 11:05:
Anyone else in SoCal? All this forecast in the news of a major rain storm and so far it's barely drizzling. I was looking forward to heavy rainfall.
They aren't in Oroville...

Well now I feel bad for asking.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
17. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 17, 2017, 11:34 BobBob

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 21:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 19:51:
BobBob wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 10:21:
Who has so much free time to watch these Youtubers?
Kjellberg is the most popular YouTube star on the planet. His videos have been viewed collectively more than 14 billion times.
In 2014, Kjellsberg made more than $7 million.

The question is not "who is watching", it's "who's not watching".

He made double that in 2015 and 2016.

I feel like I live in a cave, but I spend most of time outside.

61. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 11:25 BobBob

Rigs wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 02:10:
SlimRam wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 21:36:
Rigs wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 17:36:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 17:06:

get back to me once you have conquered basic reading comprehension

all you have to say is "worst pain Ive ever felt"... but if that diminishes your argument too much, sorry, buck it up

Alright...that's it. I'M TELLING!

BLUE!!!

This little twerp needs to go! Seriously! He picks fights with everyone, I haven't seen one post NOT ONE that isn't condescending or derogatory in some manner! I've never reported anyone, ever, on this site in all my twenty years here (even with fredrickson), but my finger is on the button... Trollbashing

Can we get a vote? (I'll speak for Cutter and say 'Aye' because he's probably all doped up by this point )

=-Rigs-=

If he's banned he just comes back. He's been banned here 4 times now over the course of 10+ years and he always comes back. Most websites can grab your IP and trace it back to your ISP with basic software (including the person's general town/city location). IP blocking is possible but IP addresses change constantly with the ISP they are using (usually) also if he's on a cell/laptop and goes to a local wifi hotspot his IP changes again. Also, if he's running a VPN you'll never IP block him. The only way to ever truly get rid of him would be if Blue contacted his ISP directly and filed a complaint with them, and i'm not sure what kinda legal stuff has to happen for that?

Also, the 'ignore' button works too

I don't ignore anyone. It's not in my nature. Even the biggest jerks have something decent to say on occasion (well, almost). Besides, it wasn't just because I'm tired of the little jerks mouth, it's the crap he gives everyone else - constantly. I tried to be chill this morning with him, every post he makes he leaves a snide little condescending comment at the end and yet that one post this morning was almost decent, yet he went and fucked it up by making a dig at the original poster. He just couldn't help himself. There are jerks here, for sure. There are some bullheaded, selfish egotistical pricks on here too. I can handle them, for the most part. But he's just outright trolling and it's obvious. And it needs to stop. Somehow.

=-Rigs-=

I don't know why Blue doesn't ban him outright. It's extremely easy to tell when poster is "the return of Space Captain".

60. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 11:23 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 03:15:
BobBob wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 14:10:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 13:55:
BobBob wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 13:28:
There's a simple measure of whether or not you have too much junk:

Can you fit two cars in your garage?

No one has a garage here, never mind a two car garage.

Why do you make that assumption?

I meant here where I live, not here on Blues.

Whereabouts are you from? Don't need to be specific. Just curious about the general location, naming the state is fine.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 11:05 BobBob

47. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 20:14 BobBob

Dacote wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 17:41:
Rigs wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 17:36:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 17:06:
BobBob wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 15:10:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 15:02:
pain is subjective, but i seriously doubt a kidney stone is "worst in existence", just because i know you havent experienced every pain in existence, so Q.E.D

get back to me once you have conquered basic reading comprehension

all you have to say is "worst pain Ive ever felt"... but if that diminishes your argument too much, sorry, buck it up

Alright...that's it. I'M TELLING!

BLUE!!!

This little twerp needs to go! Seriously! He picks fights with everyone, I haven't seen one post NOT ONE that isn't condescending or derogatory in some manner! I've never reported anyone, ever, on this site in all my twenty years here (even with fredrickson), but my finger is on the button... Trollbashing

Can we get a vote? (I'll speak for Cutter and say 'Aye' because he's probably all doped up by this point )
=-Rigs-=
seconded

Agreed. Thumbsup

32. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 16:16 BobBob

descender wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 15:21:
I've had a kidney stone. Worst pain in existence a male in a modern society should expect to come across in his life barring accident or tragedy. Buck it up. My pain is more real than yours.

Seems accurate. Should have read that link before you linked it :p

3320 Comments. 166 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo