Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2823 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 16:06 BobBob

It's too bad game developers, publishers, and those who sell games don't realize what kind of revenue you probably bring them by posting news of sales, releases, and upcoming developments.

Is there a PayPal link to make donations to the site?

I hate to admit it, but, when I'm not working, reading, writing, gaming, and talking to my wife, this place is my main social life. It sounds quite pathetic but I don't like interacting with most people. Though, I doubt my situation is unique.

P.S. Turn off your ad blockers people!

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2016, 16:12.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Multiplayer Maps Explored
16. Re: DOOM Multiplayer Maps Explored Mar 17, 2016, 15:13 BobBob

What are the plans for anti-cheat? Online MP stops being fun when people start cheating.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 11:00 BobBob

I have O'Brien, Watson, and variety of other Irish and English surnames on both sides of the family genealogy. When I lived in Europe I was often asked if I came from the UK.

News Comments > DOOM Multiplayer Maps Explored
6. Re: DOOM Multiplayer Maps Explored Mar 17, 2016, 00:29 BobBob

Carmack has left the building.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 16, 2016, 15:05 BobBob

We tend to sway in different directions depending on polictical climate, current trust in government, the technology in question, and the trending paranoia of the day/month/year.

What's happening now is a manifestation of a cultural tendency to be too obessed with prevention and not so much about punishment. The result is we blame the victim while the criminals gets second, third, and more chances for supposed redemption; weaker sentences, rehabilitation, early releases, etc. Meanwhile, it just creates more victims. We blame the victim for walking down the 'wrong alley', while the criminal is allowed to own that very same alley.

An example is gun ownership. A law abiding person will have a license and legally purchase one. A criminal will have no license and steal or purchase an illegal gun on the blackmarket. We squabble about gun ownership instead of criminal's individual behavior - the person and the crime are often dissociated.

Eventually, the pendulum will swing to the other extreme. It won't necessarily matter who the leadership is. We change our attitudes when our tolerance threshold has been reached.

In regards to this particular issue at hand, I'm guessing, based on Hegelian Dialectics, there will be a synthetic comprise of protecting good behavior and stopping bad behavior. OS level (Layer 8) software will be implemented to scan for bad inputs while good (non-threatening) inputs will be passsed through and encrypted. The system will only trigger if suspicious interactivity is marked for tracing and folllow-up. Example: The devices encryption ability will be disabled - to prevent the need for backdoors - and a warning given or not, and/or a network trace on other activity and interactions with other IP addresses and locations, etc. In addtion, a TOS will need to be signed to understand that in order to utilize decryption, other safeguards will concurrently run; a way to get the device and/or software developer 'off the hook'. How all this will be resolved will most likely be a complicated affair, debated over and negotiated by law enforcement, company and civil rights lawyers, and elected reps.

Will a solution be jail-broken? Most likely, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of that compromise will be to keep track of jail-broken devices too; including, to allow the jail-breaking to take place as an excuse to trace and monitor. Nor would I be surprised if the jail-breaking itself has piggybacks.

I'm writing here as if anyone cares what I have to say.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2016, 17:20.

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Footage
27. Re: System Shock Remastered Footage Mar 15, 2016, 18:50 BobBob

I hope they get rid of weapon degradation entirely. It's one of the worst gameplay gimmicks ever invented. Make the story suspenseful and skip the cheap mechanics.  

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Footage
19. Re: System Shock Remastered Footage Mar 15, 2016, 10:34 BobBob

When does the iPad version come out?  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2016, 16:31 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 16:20:
Tolwyn wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 10:44:
Be careful linking to Liveleak. Most assuradely NSFW.

Also, please don't link to videosift re-aggregation videos... just link to the origianl Youtube video. Tired of all the ads.

You surf the web with ads? Have you ever heard of AdBlock? (Be sure to disable it on this fine website)

Won't that hurt Blue's revenue or does it not matter? I thought I was doing my part by allowing ads. Now I'm confused.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2016, 12:47 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 12:07:
BobBob wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 11:21:
Woohoo! A neighbor just sold his house for over 100k more than he paid a couple of years ago - zero renovation. Property values here keep climbing! Thumbsup

That only helps you if you end up going somewhere a lot cheaper - which most people don't do.

My dream home is in the same area, sea view, but without neighbors, and will cost around 5 to 10 million. Saving pennies.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2016, 12:25 BobBob

CalmDragon wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 10:59:
Anyone but Hillary.
You don't feel the Bern?

Warning, lots of rambling ...

I didn't like his answer about crime. I feel that criminals should be fully punished while at the same time there needs to be a push for better legal education in schools and homes. That's right, I believe we should have classes that are strictly about learning society's fundamental laws and the consequences of breaking them.

I'm not really against Wall Street. I rely on those investments for my retirement. I am in favor of enforcing laws and regulations but not to the extent where the hard and smart workers must support the lazy ones. As a pattern, the rich are wealthy because the 'middle class' and poor are purchasing their products or services. Don't like rich people having money? Talk to your neighbor.

Free college? Public funds will probably mean inefficient usage of tuition money and typically education is often sacrificed for 'pork projects', which will mean cost-cutting, which will lead to a dilapidating infrastructure and having to hire the cheapest and lowest qualified teachers and staff.

Socialized medicine is a nightmare. I've lived in Eastern Europe. It was truly disturbing. Private competition amongst medical practices and institutions, accompanied by reasonable regulation (for consumer protection) are both required to keep prices down and to encourage optimal services.

When it comes to a President: Who can hold his/her own in an international forum in the presence of foreign leaders? Can I trust the person to be rational, compassionate, and assertive? Will I feel my intellect is fairly represented? Who will defend the Constitution? Who will respect Congress? Who do I trust behind the big red button? Most of the topics debated should be left to local government legislatures or the U.S. Congress. The President should be primarily focused on protecting and maintaining our sovereignty.

So far, Hillary is the only one who seems to have the right mindset and experience. Disregard all the personal scandals. If you open up anyone's closet wide enough the creepiness will be revealed.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2016, 11:21 BobBob

Woohoo! A neighbor just sold his house for over 100k more than he paid a couple of years ago - zero renovation. Property values here keep climbing! Thumbsup

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2016, 11:33.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2016, 09:28 BobBob

I'll probably vote for Hillary. She has come across as the most articulate and intellectual candidate in the debates; willing to deal with complexity; not simply drum beating a neo-Marxist chant. The Republicans come across as a bunch of angry baboons. Their debates turn into a freak-show circus; word exchange to them is simply an excuse to have a turd-slinging contest.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2016, 09:39.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2016, 14:52 BobBob

Use a Bluetooth headset. Problem solved. Thumbsup  

News Comments > Beacon Announced
6. Re: Beacon Announced Mar 9, 2016, 14:46 BobBob

A game like this would match better with a mobile device.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2016, 17:07 BobBob

Ex Machina was the only movie worthy of an Oscar.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2016, 00:52 BobBob

They'll probably come out with some kind of full immersion chamber with liquid filled nano bubbles - a substance with changeable viscosity and properties; ex can instantly transforms from air light to water to oil to gel to solid), flowing and constantly fluctuating that simulates moving within a world with ever changing currents and pressures to emulate distinct environmental qualities. Could even be an air pressure system or hybri of both. It'll have to be a full immersion chamber to get the proper effect - like astronauts in swimming pools or those spas with high pressure streams to simulate swimming in a pool, but far more intricate and advanced. Eventually it will be refined to wearable body suits leading to realistic augmented reality - slaying a dragon at the local park, paint ball style warfare with virtual lasers that provide impact and possible true handicaps (leg hit so suit hinders or weights down on wounded area), virtual terrain felt on the legs and feet. Just brainstorming. Sorry for typos, using phone. Something to put in a story. Hmm...

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2016, 01:23.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2016, 15:56 BobBob

Until they can fully simulate an indistinguishable experience to that of actual sunbathing on the beach, I'll take a pass on 'VR'.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2016, 20:23.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2016, 15:49 BobBob

RIP, Dave. Cry Thank you for co-creating one of the best computers ever. Thumbsup  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2016, 21:14 BobBob

The only online team game I've ever enjoyed was QuakeWorld Team Fortress. It was easy to see what others were doing, communication was frequent and simple (ex: incoming fishes!), and the gameplay was just damn fun.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2016, 13:23 BobBob

One to One RTS / FPS or DM/FFA are the only competition modes that have ever made sense to me. Otherwise, it's impossible to feel total ownership in many online 'team games' where communication is limited, observation is restricted, strategic control is almost non-existent, and the fate of winning is often the result of a combination of luck and a few well-performing team members. Shared team success is typically an illusion, rarely based on facts, and usually hinders on the expert skill of one or two smart players avoiding the stupid ones.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2016, 15:01.

2823 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo