Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2825 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2016, 14:36 BobBob

Eating healthy is good but you also need to move constantly. It's part of why I push myself to take my work to the beaches and parks. It forces me to get on the bike and go. Besides regular home excercise, I usually cycle about 20 to 30 miles (up and down hills and around the peninsula, and along the beach bike paths).

My resting pulse is mid 50'ish; trying to get it lower.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2016, 11:29 BobBob

I have faith and I don't have faith. It's extremely complicated in my mind. Logic says there must be a creator and another logic refutes it. One is based on the watching of all things, seeming to have a purpose of means - a beginning and an end - yet also without final purpose for it's all just a recycle; and yet, there is a beginning and an end, and there is a creation process. So I'm in a constant state of confusion and bewilderment. I actually hope there is a God (capital G out of respect for believers) because I want this seemingly futile and fleeting existence to have a true purpose, but at the same time eternity negates true purpose because it lacks an ultimate goal. *spin*

I can tell you one thing on a very personal level. If I go to a church, I don't feel God, instead I feel the prying eyes of people critiquing and judging each other. When I sit in the sunlight on the beach, walk through a trail of rustling trees, or watch animals in their natural environments, then I feel "God'. I wonder if that makes me non-religious or something else. I dunno.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2016, 11:40.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2016, 11:18 BobBob

You can just hand ownership of the site over to Cutter. He's already in charge isn't he?  

80. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2016, 15:42 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 23:40:
Did some personal bible study tonight and it really helped me appreciate Jesus words, "You must love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39) The first 25 or so minutes of this video (produced by JW's) helped me greatly appreciate the gravity of what Jesus' words meant. This has led me to conclude that a minimum wage, no a living wage, of $15 is the neighborly and compassionate thing to do. I now know a lot of people, including fellow worshipers, who would greatly benefit from such an income increase regardless of marketable skills. Thank you all for your valuable points of view.

One of my favorite texts of the Bible is Ecclesiastes.

Everything Is Meaningless

The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:

“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”
What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

Ecclesiastes 1 - Everything Is Meaningless - Bible Gateway

It's a gem of wisdom. The entire text is a great read for anyone who is religious or non-religious and has existential type of thoughts. Thumbsup

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2016, 15:51.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2016, 16:19 BobBob

Was her bike locked up? Not blaming the victim, but ...  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2016, 10:43 BobBob

There goes the neighborhood. Nice video.  

49. Re: Way to go California. Mar 29, 2016, 17:27 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:56:
Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:19:
Yup, but so few can think that way. They think about the salary on their contract as money they have a right to, and get angry at anything being taken. They rail against tax increases even when those increases are usually aimed at people making more than them.

And, in reality, a good tax plan would increase taxes on all of us, but increase it so much on the top that incomes spread around, so the average American may end up paying 10% more in taxes, but if they're earning 30% more (picking numbers out of a hat) they're actually keeping more at the end of the year.

Honestly, if I had to do it, I'd consider cutting income tax to next to nothing (capital gains would be there) and instead tax the corporations. Someone signs a $40,000 contract, they get to keep all $40,000, but the corporation is paying $20,000 to the government for that employee. Again, picking numbers out of a hat.

Capital flight is a pretty big issue these days, with major corporations incorporating in places like Ireland to avoid billions in taxes. How to prevent that?

Simple: For every X amount of revenue made, Y amount of employees must represent the customer's regional demographic and every employee's salary must be a minimum Z percentage of the company's regional profits.

Example: If a company is making 5 million in Arizona, it must hire Y amount of employees in Arizona and the salaries must be no less than a Z percentage of the profit. To be reevaluated quarterly, yearly, or whatever. This way if the company wants to sell to the customers living in a certain geographical region it be better be willing to hire the people there as well. I'm sure the counter-argument will be that companies will stop selling to those areas -- but they won't stop, especially if there is money to be made. Other incentives can be given to the companies that participate - lower business taxes since the employees will be paying a lot of local, state, federal anyhow, etc.

Get rid of tariffs and import / export fees and taxes and replace them with regional employment requirements. Thumbsup

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2016, 17:32.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 14:13 BobBob

On another note, I'm working on one story and considering my next.

Here is my brainstorm:

Tentatively called "Macro Manipulation". A scientist taps into the autonomic nervous system with a special chip that fuses into the brain. People can transfer their daily habits and work routines into this chip creating 'brain macros' for physical behavior and interaction, freeing their minds to be 'creative and enter into lucid dreams'. First it starts out with simple operations then evolves to substitute for more complex and higher behavioral functions. Eventually everyone does it, except our protagonist whose chip has failed - only to discover that there are a few others who also have failed chips and have been exploiting it to control the 'macro masses', hacking into functioning chips to do their bidding. While people live out their physically automated, virtual fantasies (believing their bodies are merely performing routine work, while operating like mindless automatons), the outsiders can manipulate and enslave them to serve their every whim. Our protagonist pretends to join this 'elite' and acts agreeable to them (or risk being exiled), yet is morally troubled to find friends and family enslaved, so he covertly starts hacking into people's chips and reveals the real world to them .. but in surprise he's shocked by their apathy .. they crave to return to the fantasy world, and could careless about what their physical bodies are doing .. The people that have become dependent on their fantasy worlds .. have lost all desire for true free will, and could careless about the fate of their physical existence .. an allegory for things to come - VR, robots, AI, etc.

Does it sound stupid or interesting?

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 14:06 BobBob

Truly one of the main reasons I strictly post to this site. The community is passionate and intellectual. We don't have to agree. If we did, we'd never learn anything new. Love this forum. Thumbsup  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 13:52 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:03:
The bottom line is it's not my job to take care of other people. It's THEIR job to take care of themselves.

Do you pay for medical insurance? Do you pay local, state, and federal taxes? If you answer 'yes' to any of those, you are taking care of other people whether you like it or not.

Say society decides you are right. We will not help them live a sustainable life. The result: Crime rates spike - constant muggings, burglaries, thefts. There are more homeless on the sidewalks, at the parks, and in public spaces, like the libraries. Poverty makes for depression, sadness, and envy. Many will turn to drugs to alleviate such emotional pains; becoming addicted. Since they lack funds for proper medical care, they frequently get sick, and often require emergency services; and typically become susceptible to disease and sickness that healthy prevent. Should doctors and hospital simply turn them away? Or take care of them anyways .. they can raise your insurance premium bill to cover that cost or take it our of your tax dollars; and there is always bankruptcy for the worst case scenarios.

How do you plan on dealing with this personally? Will you just walk on top of the homeless people - maybe kick them out of the library and parks? Make sure you don't see them? The crime rate spikes due to the lack of money and drug addictions. Since society doesn't care, and you shouldn't ask the police for help (everyone for themselves, right?), perhaps you'll carry a self defense weapon and be prepared to use it anytime? The poor often have more kids - lack of education for prevention, etc. Malnourished and poorly educated kids will commit more crimes and tend to be unhealthy; many join local gangs to collaborate support groups and funds, mostly to protect the neighborhood from other gangs. It's their problem, right? Let them die off? You just need to figure out a way to segregate them from yourself? Build a moat around your house? Perhaps they won't swim.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2016, 14:04.

News Comments > Call of Space Duty Rumors
15. Re: Call of Space Duty Rumors Mar 29, 2016, 12:52 BobBob

This won't be like Halo because...?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 12:29 BobBob

PHJF wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:16:
Besides that, once AI has been well established and progress beyond humans (able to program itself) ... Your job may be seen as the new burger flipping

It already is the new burger flipping, or have you seriously not noticed the ongoing and extensive offshoring of computer science work to The East? The West had a good run at computer-related economies, but like manufacturing before it, businesses can and will shift to the cheapest labor. And it doesn't help the US having one of the worst and most expensive networking infrastructures.

It's unfortunate a person is judged by salary and position. For example, I'm reading a science fiction anthology and one of the best authors was a bus driver that wrote stories during long stops and his time off. He didn't make much doing either, but the stories are amazing and inspiring. Another famous author died in poverty, however some of the best science fiction movies are based on his stories. Can you guess who it was? So I wouldn't assume the 'burger flipper' is only flipping burgers. The person could be a struggling artist, musician, writer, or who knows what. It's not our place to judge. What if the burger flipper uses his/her time off to volunteer and help orphans or the elderly whereas as the programmer making 100k+ spends most his/her free time gaming, watching movies, and surfing the web. Who is the better person?

What's my point? If we push people to only strive for the high income positions we may lose someone who had the potential for artistic brilliance. There are a lot of struggling game developers too, running their own independent studios, and trying to make a groundbreaking game that may or may not succeed. In the meantime, I'm sure those people will have to work a low-wage, part-time, job to supplement in hopes of success; otherwise, all energy and time is spent working for someone else. If we don't support a people like that, no one will take risks or follow a dream.

On the other hand, will there be people who are content with low wage and doing nothing? Yes, of course, but it's better to allow them to live sustainably than to enter a life of crime or homelessness.

I've been told I sound more like a European than an American when talking socioeconomics.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2016, 12:46.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 12:07 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 11:49:
California raises minimum wage to $15 an hour. As a Web UX Developer / Programmer I will make a slight dozen digits more* than someone who flips hamburgers, stuffs lettuce in a taco, and drops fries in a vat of grease. These are no skill jobs. They're not suppose to be living income jobs. People who "settle" at minimum wage jobs basically gave up on life. It's not the government's job to force companies to give these people a 6% raise every year for the next six years!

*I care not to say specifically how much

Hmm .. it's easy to say this until we all face the true repercussions. If those 'settling' people don't make enough to pay rent, you'll be stepping over them on sidewalks, or smell them in public parks. The problem is no matter what their individual choices have been, we all pay the price of poverty and homelessness, which carries higher chances of spreading disease and health epidemics, almost always precipitates more crime, and typically lowers the quality of life for everyone else. It's a tough one to tackle because there is a conflict between individual responsibility and social consequences; often if we simply allow individual consequences (particularly economic), society tends to pay for it by the latent effects, whether it be to force a higher minimum wage, or tolerate a rise in crime and homelessness.

Besides that, once AI has been well established and progresses beyond human creativity (and is able to program itself) ... In the near future, your job may be seen as the new burger flipping.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2016, 12:20.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 12:03 BobBob

With all the news on this site that helps promote their product, you'd think they'd offer to send you a free one.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2016, 13:22 BobBob

Keep a roll of tinfoil for extra security. Wideeyed  

News Comments > Atari Vault Opened
10. Re: Atari Vault Opened Mar 25, 2016, 17:51 BobBob

I was addicted to Tempest. Really need the spinner to play it properly.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2016, 13:06 BobBob

On my ad filter I whitelisted Blue's News, though something is still blocking the blue background. Using iCab Mobile, iOS. Any ideas?

Filter (load)= *://*.bluesnews.com/*

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 18:38 BobBob

nvm  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 16:36 BobBob

I remember taking a college course called 'The Social Construction of Deviance and Conformity'. The professor was quite funny. He started the class out by positioning that, "Rich people are eccentric. Poor people are insane". Students were a bit shocked at first, but as the class progressed it did seem to be a recurring theme.

How is this relevant? Deviance can be measured on many levels, it's not simply limited to violating social norms or mores, but also applies to the unique behaviors within a subculture. It certainly does appear that the more money a person accumulates, or becomes more prestigious, the less likely said person will be criticized. Typically, the opposite will happen. The person becomes a trendsetter and is granted permission and given authority to criticize others. The person is soon regarded as 'elite', an epitome, the standard by which all that is to be measured against. The deviant (poor, or less prestigious person), will always be criticized by an elite, of whom the masses tend follow. Whether it be in regards to fashion, music, behavior, or other social trends, it's the same pattern. Facts notwithstanding, the target deviant is a poseur, the elite person is authentic. This of course flip-flops if the deviatnt person becomes rich or gains prestige, or if the elite person's status is dethroned by a rival, or demoted to deviance by a taboo behavior.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2016, 17:25.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 13:52 BobBob

A true "intellectual" nerd rarely gets involved in petty gossip or social drama. First of all, that requires social skills. And second, well, let's just stick with the first point...  

2825 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo