Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2828 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Virtual Rogue Released
1. Re: Virtual Rogue Released Apr 12, 2016, 14:16 BobBob

I like the concept. However, my first observation from seeing the video is that the character is often running backward. That tells me that movement is either sluggish or inflexible, so you are forced to constantly run backward and fire. That can get tiresome quickly. It would be like playing an FPS where the enemies are so fast you spend the majority of time running backwards and shooting.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Preloads Tomorrow; New Trailer
11. Re: DOOM Open Beta Preloads Tomorrow; New Trailer Apr 12, 2016, 12:07 BobBob

What are the plans for anti-cheat?  

News Comments > GZ3Doom Oculus Rift Support
9. Re: GZ3Doom Oculus Rift Support Apr 11, 2016, 22:21 BobBob

Well, I was being kind of sarcastic. Text in VR should have the least amount of side effects; or maybe not.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2016, 20:48 BobBob

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 20:25:
BobBob wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 19:23:
Someone explain to me this. I have relatives living in Europe, by marriage, that seem compelled to send me articles on American politics. Yet, I could careless about what's happening in their country. Why do they care?

Why does the world care about who the leader of the most powerful/influential country in the world is? Is that your question?

Well, when you put it that way ...

News Comments > GZ3Doom Oculus Rift Support
6. Re: GZ3Doom Oculus Rift Support Apr 11, 2016, 19:43 BobBob

I'd be curious to see a Zork VR mod.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2016, 19:23 BobBob

Someone explain to me this. I have relatives living in Europe, by marriage, that seem compelled to send me articles on American politics. Yet, I could careless about what's happening in their country. Why do they care?  

74. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2016, 16:16 BobBob

So Star Trek has ladies in mini-skirts, while Star Wars has lightsabers and furry animals. Hmm ...  

48. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2016, 14:29 BobBob

Thank you 1badmf and Sepharo. This is helping me more than I can express. I'm still 'finding my voice' so all this feedback is priceless! Thumbsup

46. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2016, 02:08 BobBob

Okay .. Maybe this is better or worse:

The sun rises in a constant motion. Brilliant light rays are transitorily occluded by motionless clouds; penetrating the translucent white palette; diffracting into a prismatic spectrum of neon purple, red, and orange hues, which subtly blend and envelop the sky. As the sun continues to rise, crepuscular light rays transcend the cloud's boundaries, while a spectrum of opalescent colors begin to diffuse, dissipate, and then fade away. Finally, overcoming the clouds, and superposing a blue sky, the sun's brilliant light rays shine in dominance. The result is a singular color that is most expected of the sunlight - yellow.

Book

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2016, 02:29.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2016, 21:20 BobBob

1badmf wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 02:24:
BobBob wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 01:21:
Thank you so much! This is the kind of feedback that is useful! I am going to print your comment for myself and analyze the writing beside it. If there is a way, and you're willing to do so, I can send you more privately, over time.

i would add, ease up on the alliteration. imo it gets distracting from the content behind the words. i did a writing group with a couple of my friends and he abused alliteration like a pharaoh building a pyramid. i tried to tell him the same thing but he was so self-absorbed with his own greatness he bit my head off rather than listen to my criticism, which is the whole point of a writing group no?

anyway, yeah, you have a good vocabulary and your technique is sound. but don't let your ideas get drowned out by your presentation.

Very good input! I appreciate it! Thumbsup

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2016, 01:21 BobBob

Thank you so much! This is the kind of feedback that is useful! I am going to print your comment for myself and analyze the writing beside it. If there is a way, and you're willing to do so, I can send you more privately, over time.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2016, 01:43.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2016, 01:13 BobBob

Sepharo wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 22:46:
BobBob wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 20:52:
The inescapable light pushes away the surrounding darkness.

The surrounding darkness is pushed away by an inescapable light.

Which phrase sounds better?

Usually "inescapable" is applied to darkness. Though you might be purposefully playing on that by applying it to the light. I think that both constructions, when using "surrounding darkness" and "inescapable light", sort of sound illogical. If the light is inescapable than how is the darkness surrounding? I think I'd go with a different word other than "inescapable" but without the broader context it's hard to say what. Unstoppable, inevitable, incessant (usually neg), penetrating, piercing.

If I'm forced to pick I guess I have to go with the second.

edit: Also the meanings aren't exactly the same the way you have them written there... In the first it's The inescapable light and in the second it's an inescapable light.

Here is the context. He's entering the memories of the dead person. There is an entire story of why he's doing it, but I won't get into that here. The ego of the memory engrams doesn't exist, so there is no he/she/it. Actions are the scripted sequences of the subconscious behavior (go here and there) but description and insight still exist, hence italics. Does that make any sense?

What you'll be reading is just the starting scene of a soon to be epic event. A mild character build-up follows as well.

I'm a super amateur making an attempt at writing, and I'm sure it will show. I hope to get much less wordy over time.

Here's a very rough draft...

Through a tunnel of total darkness, a bright image appears, zooming, enlarging and fully encompassing. The still image starts to animate. Memories, sensations, thoughts and emotions transfuse into the mind. The scene turns into action. Immersion is complete.

Eyes open. Facing the office window. Pull a cord. It opens the blinds. Turn around. Walk across the room. Grab the office chair. Roll it to the edge of the window. Sit down. Back straight. Hands facing down. Palms flat on the legs. Look through and beyond the window, gazing at the silent harbor. Docked in a port, the brightly lit cargo ships appear vividly photographic. Still, and without motion, the shining ships, along with the harbor lights, collectively produce a hazy skyglow, bright enough to reveal a cluster of motionless clouds. Deeper into the darkness across the vast and empty ocean, a brilliant glow starts to illuminate the distant sky. Its source slowly manifests itself: the emergence of a fiery-orange sphere, swelling and rising over the horizon. The inescapable light pushes away the surrounding darkness. The sphere's light rays flash and sparkle upon rippling ocean currents; evolving, as an ensemble of light, forming a contiguous reflection that stretches to the shoreline.

The sky looks organic and thoughtful. The rippling effect of the brilliant sunlight upon the ocean surface is hypnotic, as it glistens and sparkles, drawing ones thoughts into a sense of continuity with nature, and a connection to the primary source of all life on the planet.

The sun continues to rise. Brilliant light rays are transitorily occluded by motionless clouds. A translucent white palette transforms into a dispersion of neon purple, red, and orange, which subtly transfuse, blend and then envelope the sky. Constantly in motion, crepuscular light rays transcend the cloud boundaries, while the neon colors begin to diffuse, dissipate, then fade away. Overcoming the clouds, the brilliant sun rays return in dominance. The result is a singular color that is most expected of the sunlight - yellow.

Always beautiful to watch. Though the entire process looks like the prelude to an alien invasion...

A brief glimpse at the yellow sun. It blazes the morning sky. Powerful circumferential rays outwardly radiate a warm and nurturing energy. A scorching spotlight beams at the center, impossible to stare at. It overwhelms and blinds the vision. Close eyes. Stretch. Absorbing the intense radiating warmth; while a cleansing sensation sweats and heats the skin. A powerful glare penetrates the eyelids. The body jolts. It's a soothing timeless escape. The mind is both blank and full. Shielded by the eyelids, concentrate on the sunlight - the cozying warmth, the flashing and strobing light, the fluctuating shapes and colors; a surreal dimension, absent of thought, full of indefinable imagery, for wherever it goes. However, it's a brief mental trip as darkness ensues.

... and here comes the fog...

Water vapors, incubated at night by the cold and salty ocean, later to be evaporated by a blanket of warm morning air, coalesce and crawl upon the land, turning into fog; further obstructing the newly lit sky. It's a battle of tug-of-war. Rays of sunlight shine through sporadic apertures, only to be obscured by the ever-shifting density of the rolling fog. It continuously morphs the atmospheric brightness - light to dark, dark to light, to dark again.

The fog alternates one's feelings between hope and desperation; imbuing a sense of moodiness. It's a struggle for which the sun will finally win. For now, it's still a bit dark outside.

Walk across the room. Push a dimmer switch. Turn a knob. A low-lit chandelier assists in illuminating the room. It provides a sufficient balance to compensate for the hesitant sunlight.

-----

Does the question make more sense now? Feel free to be brutally honest. Perhaps I just suck at writing and that's fine. I should know that before I spend more time on this kind of thing.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2016, 01:18.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 21:52 BobBob

SimplyMonk wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 21:43:
BobBob wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 20:52:

I turned the light on.

But God isn't my protagonist!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 21:46 BobBob

Hmm... Amazon Prime has Man in The High Castle. A brilliant and engaging story by Philip K. Dick. Of course, he was a genius and just about everything he wrote was incredible.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 20:52 BobBob

68. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 20:25 BobBob

Beat this Star Wars!

57. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 01:30 BobBob

Wow. Cool! I just noticed my lens replacement card. My new lenses have UV and blue light protection built in!

Thumbsup

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans
28. Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 14:57 BobBob

I've pretty much given up on AAA titles for enjoyment. Cash cows of repetitive and simplified nonsense. Maybe someone will make an indie FPS that hearkens back to the golden era - Duke Nukem, Tribes, QuakeWorld, Quake 3, and derivatives. I've seen attempts but they typically get distracted and add gimmicks. I hope said developer focuses 100% on skill based gameplay. I don't need all the advanced graphics. I'd probably just turn them off anyways.

Still patiently waiting...

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 14:19 BobBob

I would like to see a Star Wars story revolving around a scientist or engineer responsible for the space flight technology, light sabers, or droid AI. -- Oh, wait, my bad. Star Wars isn't science fiction.

Hmm... Perhaps a philosopher or theologian deeply discusses the dark and light side; interpreting its impact on life's meaning and the purpose of existence. -- Ah, nope, will confuse the target audience.

How about a Star Wars story about normal person building all those infrastructures or simply living out a day in the life. Showing how the society operates and where it's heading. -- Oh my bad, unless it's a space battle, arena setting, or long drone political speech, the universe doesn't exist in that galaxy far far away.

What's my point?

Star Trek > Star Wars

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2016, 14:30.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 13:33 BobBob

Is the blue light filtering a gimmick or is it real? Will we find out in a couple of years that blue light is healthy for sleeping?

I was checking out reading glasses with blue light filters but I noticed that they tend to reflect my eyes back to me. Creepy.

2828 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo