Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 3023 (Veteran)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 1, 2017, 12:14 BobBob

But what about the AI and robots?  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex Series Hiatus?
48. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 31, 2017, 14:34 BobBob

OT: I recommend this game a lot, if you like the whole cybernetic upgrades in a cyberpunk - virtual - destructible - world. I realize it's a different style of gameplay, but it has the same kind of underlying theme.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
76. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2017, 13:10 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 12:30:
Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 09:20:

GUYS! I'M THE ONLY SANE ONE HERE! TRUMP IS A LUNATIC TURNING AWAY WOMEN, BUT THE PROTESTORS ARE ONLY A SMALL NUMBER OF FAR LEFT CRAZY LIBS SHRIEKING AND GETTING DESPERATE!

You kind of can't have it both ways. Also, millions of women were out protesting. Are you saying millions of women are "far left crazy libs" who are out of touch with cultural power?

I mean, I think it's pretty clear where the cultural power is right now, no?

The largest single day protest in the history of the country. You don't get those numbers without the vast support of the citizenry. I'm hearing anecdotally that Dem planning meetings are getting so much support they have to switch venues to accommodate people.

The protests are only effective if elected representatives or influential people (i.e. courts, lobbyists, lawyers, etc.) listen. But are they listening? In California it seems yes, but actually the protests aren't really necessary here - it's simply preaching to the choir.

It doesn't help that major corps are protesting, because they are ones being accused of out-sourcing American jobs. (I'm sure we all know automation takes more jobs, but that's besides the point).

It also doesn't help if celebrities speak, no one cares about their "elitist viewpoints" on how 'everyone else' should be taking action on the streets or tolerating whatever it is, while they go back to their cozy limos and hiding in mansions.

I believe protests simply convey a message to people who already agree and allow them to unite, but is it all being done in vain? How do they convince Trump's supporters that what he's doing is wrong or needs to be done differently? If protesters don't convince them, his supporters will still view him as a savior - and he will see himself as the savior - for the silent and suffering masses. In this case, the protests might be symbolizing to him that what he's doing is justified, if he sees himself as a lone wolf crusader against the "herds of brainwashed minions" .. out to harm his "beloved and cherished flock" who elected him. After all ... If his 'enemies virulently protest' that means he must be doing the 'righteous thing' so he will further 'entrench and stand his ground'.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2017, 13:22.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2017, 11:21 BobBob

Lots of junk you say? Don't throw it away! You can build with it. And reach for the stars! Thumbsup  

42. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 21:50 BobBob

Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:11:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 20:37:
Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 19:54:
I'm just saying

yeh but ive already told you i dont give a fuck what you are saying... apologies if you are too stupid to understand basic english
Is this how you always interact with people? Someone presents a counterpoint and you completely lose your shit? Unless you're actually 12 years old you should grow up.

Most people here are decent and well-educated. Report and ignore trolls. Thumbsup

38. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 19:59 BobBob

Project : Snowblind was the best.

69. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 16:13 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 15:38:
Hey, but at least Trump doesn't have a private email server, amirite?

Often the words will be presented and construed out of context so there is no need for any kind of secrecy, because the news already encrypts the real message.

For example:

Let's say a conversation is about a duck hunt, but because a biased (or wishful thinking) audience doesn't want to hear about a duck hunt, they prefer to imagine that the discussion is about raising chickens.

Then, when the hunt begins, people act shocked, as duck whistles are blown and hunters come out in full camouflage, and take aim at the ducks. The people respond by marching in the streets, protesting, and angrily shout, "You lied about raising chickens! Save the innocent ducks!"

Days, weeks, or months later ... when the audience reviews the conversation, they discover the subject really was about hunting ducks, and not raising chickens ...

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2017, 20:09.

66. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 15:26 BobBob

Quboid wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 15:15:
BobBob wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 14:53:
A stream of consciousness ... some speculative questions:

Is the Constitution so well-written that it won't permit a tyranny by a single branch of government - or by two branches - or by all three? Is the 'rule of law' fundamental and unbreakable? If so, how so? Besides the written words, what makes the system capable of check & balancing itself if a single political party dominates the entire government? If a single political party rules over the executive, legislative, and judiciary branches, can the Bill of Rights be guaranteed?

This is what goes on in my head.

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.fvjyu4jy7

But hey, lets do nothing because some other people did nothing. Which makes them hypocrites, but not us somehow.

Thanks for sharing that. Will such articles like this ever go mainstream? With the same type of questions and in-depth analysis?

61. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 14:53 BobBob

A stream of consciousness ... some speculative questions:

Is the Constitution so well-written that it won't permit a tyranny by a single branch of government - or by two branches - or by all three? Is the 'rule of law' fundamental and unbreakable? If so, how so? Besides the written words, what makes the system capable of check & balancing itself if a single political party dominates the entire government? If a single political party rules over the executive, legislative, and judiciary branches, can the Bill of Rights be guaranteed?

This is what goes on in my head.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 17:53 BobBob

Thoughts on this weekend's travel bans and protests? Will it continue or get thrown out by the higher courts?  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 19:40 BobBob

It's starting to get interesting. Popcorn  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2017, 17:11 BobBob

El Pit wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 11:58:
Racism is unfortunately making a "great" comeback! And also unfortunately, history teaches us that it teaches us nothing. I would really like to apply for a Mars mission. One way only.

Well, they better 'vet' well for that one. I can imagine a tyranical cult leader 'licking his his chops' waiting to lead a Mars mission with a payload of sheeples. "In space, no one can hear you protest."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 26, 2017, 17:27 BobBob

Meh. Never-mind. Avoiding political talk for about four years.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 12:01 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 00:36:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 18:44:
BobBob wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 17:18:
I've been playing this game a lot lately. It's on sale right now.

Cool! Although, the font kind of sucks because it reads like "Nerd Chrome."

Meh, I suck at twin stick shooters and never enjoyed them.

They require a similar twitch/strategic/awareness ability that a twin stick shooter does. I assumed that most Blues New's readers were fans of FPS games like in the early Quake days.

32. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 25, 2017, 20:37 BobBob

Ultracrepidarianism: It's the mantra that informs the beginning, middle, and end of every speech that Timmeh delivers; the watchword of the witless Zoilists who snooker people of every stripe into believing that society is supposed to be lenient towards vengeful polluters; the poll-tested word guaranteed to resonate with the worst kinds of insensate blaggards there are. To get immediately to the point, the only winners in Timmeh's games are ambulance services and funeral homes. His helpers probably don't realize that because it's not mentioned in the funny papers or in the movies. Nevertheless, Timmeh has recently been going around claiming that the world can be happy only when his lynch mob is given full rein. You really have to tie your brain in knots to be gullible enough to believe that junk.

I know very few predatory, recalcitrant satanic-types personally, but I know them well enough to surmise that many of us are too naïve and trusting. It takes a lot of convincing to get us to see a person as inherently coprophagous or inherently conniving. Alas, Timmeh is doing all he can to provide us with unmistakable proof that he is inherently both. For instance, Timmeh somehow manages to maintain a straight face when saying that the sky is falling. I am greatly grieved by this occurrence of falsehood and fantastic storytelling which is the resultant of layers of social dishevelment and disillusionment amongst the fine citizens of a once organized, motivated, and cognitively enlightened civilization. Now that I've had time to think hard about his bons mots, my only question is this: Why? Why agitate for indoctrination programs in local schools? I once asked Timmeh that question; I am still waiting for an answer. In the meantime, let me point out that many, many people have been hurt by Timmeh for daring to do everything humanly possible to promote the free and open exchange of ideas and viewpoints. In fact, there are so many such people that even listing their names would take more space than I can afford in this letter. In their honor, though, I will say that Timmeh likes to talk about how 75 million years ago, a galactic tyrant named Xenu solved the overpopulation problem of his 76-planet federation by transporting the excess people to Earth, chaining them to volcanoes, and dropping H-bombs on them. The words sound pretty until you read between the lines and see that Timmeh is secretly saying that he intends to convict me without trial, jury, or reading one complete paragraph of this letter.

Naturally, what we have been imparting to Timmeh—or what he has been eliciting from us—is a half-submerged, barely intended logic, contaminated by wishes and tendencies we prefer not to acknowledge. My conscience compels me to dismantle our nation's entrenched system of corruption, patronage, and recidivism. How does he deal with this fascinating piece of information? He thoroughly ignores it. Before you read this letter, you might have thought that the goodness of something is in direct proportion only to the amount of factionalism in said thing. Now you know that Timmeh lacks concern for our common humanity.

Source

Still remains one my favorite sites.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2017, 20:27 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 18:44:
BobBob wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 17:18:

Cool! Although, the font kind of sucks because it reads like "Nerd Chrome."

That would have worked as a title too.

Here's an informative video review that summarizes the game well.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2017, 17:18 BobBob

13. Re: The brain uses REM sleep to cut unneeded connections Jan 25, 2017, 13:56 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 13:39:
BobBob wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 12:15:
The new memories in this case were formed in mice, which were trained to complete a treadmill-like motor task. Then, the mice were either deprived of REM sleep or allowed to experience this form of sleep. The mice that were allowed REM showed significantly higher pruning of new dendritic spines compared to the mice that were REM sleep deprived.

It's a pity they must torture helpless animals to make these discoveries. Perhaps someday in the future, computer simulations will become so advanced, animal testing will not only be unnecessary but even considered deplorable and archaic.

Computer modeling and simulation has obviated the need for a lot of animal testing, so there's much less than their used to be. I used to drive by a large pharmaceutical company on my way to school in the 80s and every Tuesday they would incinerate all the animals they'd killed. Man that shit reeked.

Seeing animals in pain brings tears to my eyes. It's one of the few things that causes me to be overtly emotional. It's a weakness, I know.

6. Re: The brain uses REM sleep to cut unneeded connections Jan 25, 2017, 12:15 BobBob

The new memories in this case were formed in mice, which were trained to complete a treadmill-like motor task. Then, the mice were either deprived of REM sleep or allowed to experience this form of sleep. The mice that were allowed REM showed significantly higher pruning of new dendritic spines compared to the mice that were REM sleep deprived.

It's a pity they must torture helpless animals to make these discoveries. Perhaps someday in the future, computer simulations will become so advanced, animal testing will not only be unnecessary but even considered deplorable and archaic.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2017, 12:39.

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 24, 2017, 21:56 BobBob

Hehe Popcorn  

3023 Comments. 152 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo