Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 3320 (Veteran)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Dec 13, 2017, 11:57 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 04:32:
Had a great conversation with someone about visualizing 4D.

During the conversation, I said something like, "So all life lives in a three-dimensional world under the fourth dimension of time. However, only humans have the capacity for self-awareness, creativity, intelligence, sapience, intentionality, to reason, to educate, and so much more. In other words, we are the only creatures on this planet that are aware of our existence in four dimensions. So could sentience and consciousness be considered a fifth dimension? Not a 5th dimension of space and time, but of reality to help define who were are and our present boundaries?"

https://youtu.be/p4Gotl9vRGs

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2017, 00:16 BobBob

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 21:41:
BobBob wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 21:33:
This is the most useful software program ever made if you have a puppy.
Do they make a version for kittens.

Universal App. All pets! Thumbsup

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2017, 21:33 BobBob

This is the most useful software program ever made if you have a puppy.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2017, 19:41 BobBob

Star Wars has about as much science fiction as Harry Potter.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2017, 23:14 BobBob

Hope they are right and it can survive. Anxious  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2017, 14:22 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 14:06:
BobBob wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 12:24:
It's getting way too close to one of my favorite SoCal places.

Yeah, well as someone who always likes to rub winter in our faces when we complain about it up north all I can say is, suck it! At least we don't have fucking forest fires burning down half the place every year.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2017, 12:24 BobBob

It's getting way too close to one of my favorite SoCal places.  

3. Re: Vendor links Dec 6, 2017, 11:55 BobBob

Whatever it takes to give him a controversial legacy at all costs?

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2017, 12:11.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 22:49 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 22:38:
BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 17:31:
Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 17:26:
BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:11:
An ethical / legal scenario and question:

Someone stole a winning lottery number and somehow took the multi-million dollar cash prize and started a controversial company that hired 1000s of people. Then the company went public on the stock exchange. Later on ... The lotto commission finds the person committed fraud. The real winner didn't get his/her multi-million award. What can or should be done about that?

That's felony fraud anyway you slice it. Yeah, arrest him, seize all his assets - you're not allowed to profit from crime anyway. Legally, the lottery corporation (State) is obligated to make good on their contract - that's what a lottery ticket is, monies exchanged for a promise of payment in the event of a win. So technically speaking they still owe the winner the money, not the thief.

That being said, the onus is on the State to go after the thief. It's felony fraud and theft so that's prison time right there. And you can't profit in the commission of a crime so that means all his assets seized as well, regardless of how many people he's put to work. Define controversial. It's not about the number of people employed vs. what the nature of the work is. Regardless the likely outcome would be to either sell the company, or more likely dissolve it and sell the assets to recoup as much money as possible.

You do realize the scenario in question is an allegory, right? Stunned

No, you asked a question. That's not what an allegory is. And how it would be resolved is exactly as I stated.

"An allegory is a story, poem, or painting in which the characters and events are symbols of something else. Allegories are often moral, religious, or political."

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/allegory

Huh

55. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 17:55 BobBob

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:14:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:29:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:23:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:00:
ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

Working and writing two novels. Been fairly busy. Plus, we remodeled a kitchen and portions of our home. Finally, life has calmed down.

How are you?

Hey, welcome back, Bob!

Thank you!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 17:31 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 17:26:
BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:11:

Someone stole a winning lottery number and somehow took the multi-million dollar cash prize and started a controversial company that hired 1000s of people. Then the company went public on the stock exchange. Later on ... The lotto commission finds the person committed fraud. The real winner didn't get his/her multi-million award. What can or should be done about that?

That's felony fraud anyway you slice it. Yeah, arrest him, seize all his assets - you're not allowed to profit from crime anyway. Legally, the lottery corporation (State) is obligated to make good on their contract - that's what a lottery ticket is, monies exchanged for a promise of payment in the event of a win. So technically speaking they still owe the winner the money, not the thief.

That being said, the onus is on the State to go after the thief. It's felony fraud and theft so that's prison time right there. And you can't profit in the commission of a crime so that means all his assets seized as well, regardless of how many people he's put to work. Define controversial. It's not about the number of people employed vs. what the nature of the work is. Regardless the likely outcome would be to either sell the company, or more likely dissolve it and sell the assets to recoup as much money as possible.

You do realize the scenario in question is an allegory, right? Stunned

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 16:11 BobBob

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 15:36 BobBob

Will Flynn's testimony be the Achilles' heel? Inquisitive  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Jim Nabors Dies- ‘Gomer Pyle’ Star Was 87. Dec 1, 2017, 14:30 BobBob

I loved that show when I was a kid. Cry  

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 13:05 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 01:59:
Who is your muse?

Also, thinking of self-publishing?

My main inspiration is a bunch of sci-fi stories that I've read. I also like to imagine and daydream. I've always had weird ideas so I figured I might as well try to write them down.

Yah. I think I may self-publish the first book. The second novel is much larger and more epic. I may consider a publisher for that. It depends on how much success the first one gets.

My understanding is that most publishers won't even look at an author unless they find past work that is searchable online. In that case, self-publishing the first novel might be the best strategy for publishing the second novel.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 14:07.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 12:11 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 08:53:
BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 00:38:
Themes: Time travel, with a twist. Artificial intelligence, with a twist.

My biggest struggle is that I have a lot of complex concepts embedded into the stories and I have to put them into simple English for a wider audience.
Excellent subjects when done well.

I would offer a caution to explaining things too carefully. I'm thinking of Iain Banks' Culture novels which I absolutely love. There is some stunning technology involved, stuff which would look like magic to even early 21st century humans. However, a lot of it doesn't get careful explanations. It is more about the story of what's happening to the characters.

I should create a blog and post snippets of the writing for public critique. Since it'll be my first book, most likely I'll self-publish it anyway.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 12:30.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 12:09 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 02:02:
BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 00:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 23:48:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 22:40:
The question is ... are they any good? Readers will eventually decide on that.
Well, if you ever get published, be sure to let us know here. Care to reveal the general subject matter?

I will definitely share that here! Much of the smarter conversations you've all had has helped me a greal deal in developing how my characters talk and debate. Other times ... it must be made to happen.

My biggest struggle is that I have a lot of complex concepts embedded into the stories and I have to put them into simple English for a wider audience.

The stories aren't standard fare where a character faces a challenge and tries to solve it or transforms him/herself.

Sometimes a solution to a problem is not always so obvious ... Sometimes the problem is misdefined. Sometimes the problem isn't resolvable. Sometimes ... it must be allowed to happen.

Other times ... it must be made to happen.

Juggle

Remember the golden rule: "Show, don't tell."

That's a tough one.

In the time travel story there are many action scenes. Besides him simply describing the events that took place, he also goes through a lot of introspection and explains many concepts.

The action portions of the story are a transcription of his experience via recordable eyewear with a post written commentary. I made a choice to split the style of his writing. When he's giving commentary on a situation versus describing his journey in a recording, he uses no contractions, provides an analysis, goes into introspection, etc.

Imagine if you were speaking while recording and later provided a post commentary with it. How would you transcribe all that down?

I included a time and date stamp, and a storage space status, via a HUD per chapter. The HUD indicates the passage of time and provides a frame of reference. This method has forced a first person perspective on the story.

What's gets even more complicated is that sometimes there are two versions of himself. That's where a concise layout of the chronology of events comes into play and the HUD has helped in that situation.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 12:44.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 00:38 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 23:48:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 22:40:
Well, if you ever get published, be sure to let us know here. Care to reveal the general subject matter?

I will definitely share that here! Much of the smarter conversations you've all had has helped me a greal deal in developing how my characters talk and debate. Other times ... it must be made to happen.

The stories aren't standard fare where a character faces a challenge and tries to solve it or transforms him/herself.

Sometimes a solution to a problem is not always so obvious ... Sometimes the problem is misdefined. Sometimes the problem isn't resolvable. Sometimes ... it must be allowed to happen.

Other times ... it must be made to happen.

Juggle

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 00:51.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 22:41 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 18:20:
ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

Working and writing two novels. Been fairly busy. Plus, we remodeled a kitchen and portions of our home. Finally, life has calmed down.

How are you?

Good! Writing novels is hard. I've been reading a lot of novels lately, and I'm surprised at how so many seemingly well-written novels just fail to grab me. Keep at it. Give yourself time. Re-read your writing a week after writing a chapter and see if it can improve. Good luck!

Yes! Keeping it flowing and engaging is the biggest challenge.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 22:40 BobBob

1badmf wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 19:26:
ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

How are you?

out of curiosity, what's your writing schedule? and how do you motivate yourself to get up and fucking do it?

About 4 to 5 hours a day, sometimes in the morning, or afternoon, or the evening. It depends on what else I have going on. Motivation is natural. I like the subject matter and stories that are unfolding. It's easy for me to get lost in a dreamlike storytelling.

3320 Comments. 166 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo