Descending
Limit Results:

17 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: AMD/DirectX Follow-up
Mar 26, 2011, 22:19
Re: AMD/DirectX Follow-up Mar 26, 2011, 22:19
Mar 26, 2011, 22:19

I think there are pro's and con's to both methods. A unified instruction set would be useful like x86 (both AMD and Intel can run the same software even though the hardware has a lot of differences).

You can keep OpenGL and DirectX around as they'll always have that nice pro of being easier to write for (especially OpenGL since it's multi-platform) but it'll be slower than using the instruction sets.

Both Nvidia and AMD make good hardware. It'd be nice to see them (together, with hopefully professionals in the graphics/game industry) set the standard for features instead of Microsoft.

Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
Apr 19, 2010, 22:01
Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 19, 2010, 22:01
Apr 19, 2010, 22:01

I guess they are anticipating all the copies of UBI games to soon end up in landfills.

Must be trying to prevent other people from pirating what was originally their DVD case. Time to reuse what is rightfully theirs ;).

Re: Newell on DRM
Mar 14, 2010, 14:11
Re: Newell on DRM Mar 14, 2010, 14:11
Mar 14, 2010, 14:11

I wish people would quit talking like PC gaming has already died.

As someone else pointed out it's easier to make more money on consoles for more reasons than just piracy (of which the Xbox has plenty of anyway)

Consoles are cheaper, easier to use and usually have a younger audience (for exactly those two previous reasons). Not to say there aren't older gamers on consoles.

The PC takes some knowledge of hardware, software, your O/S and the ability to troubleshoot in case something isn't working.

These two points alone line up consoles for being the more mainstream system.

Small budget PC games like Sins of a Solar Empire which had no DRM proved niche games still can sell on PC and turn a profit for the company. Whether or not the studios choose to continue to develop for the PC in the long run is the question. With the lure of the consoles greater potential for money, it's all up to them.

So please stop using piracy as the sole reason PC's don't have God of War 3 on them. Or the fact Modern Warfare 2 was clearly more geared for consoles. There is a lot more going on here than just piracy.

Mar 13, 2010, 22:34
Re: Newell on DRM Mar 13, 2010, 22:34
Mar 13, 2010, 22:34

I understand your point about hypocrisy but I guess he just doesn't feel it's hypocritical.

I don't so much either. Though I would prefer if he'd take a stance against UBI's current tactic.

However maybe it's smarter to get UBI on board with Steam. Then once UBI is leaning on Steam for a good many sales maybe Gabe could pressure them at that time. He might meet with more success, rather than just giving them the finger now.

Either way if the three options are
-Gabe says nothing
-Gabe says something
-Gabe boycotts UBI

I'm glad it's the middle one and not the top one.

Mar 13, 2010, 21:18
Re: Newell on DRM Mar 13, 2010, 21:18
Mar 13, 2010, 21:18

Prez wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 20:53:
Glad someone said it. I shy away from such logical suggestions because you tend to get crucified around here for making them.

Yah I agree many look down upon cracks but they can be very useful for paying customers. They do have legitimate use. Plus if I've payed for the thing I think it's one of the few freedoms I should have with it :P.

I know it may break some rules but in the long run it's a lot harder to argue against cracking something you bought than just out and out piracy.

Mar 13, 2010, 19:07
Re: Newell on DRM Mar 13, 2010, 19:07
Mar 13, 2010, 19:07

Steam is DRM yes. However it has an offline mode, they are willing to work with people who want to play games offline and games are constantly cheaper on the service than store bought ones. They also offer methods of backup.

So as far as DRM goes I think it's the best out there.

It's also not hard to crack the majority of games on there if you don't want it launching through steam or if you just prefer no DRM whatsoever.

Of course that doesn't work with online games so well but if it's an online game, what's the big deal with it being online DRM .

Mar 13, 2010, 16:04
Re: Newell on DRM Mar 13, 2010, 16:04
Mar 13, 2010, 16:04

I'm happy he said anything at all

He didn't have to

Mar 13, 2010, 15:34
Re: Newell on DRM Mar 13, 2010, 15:34
Mar 13, 2010, 15:34

Surprised so many still dislike Steam

When Steam is in my system tray it's memory footprint is 10k. Which is under a media player/browser/email client etc. CPU usage is 0 almost always.

Not sure where bloatware comes into it.

Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Resume
Mar 9, 2010, 14:13
Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Resume Mar 9, 2010, 14:13
Mar 9, 2010, 14:13

noman wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 14:01:
I haven't bought the game, and will likely wait till the price goes down or the DRM-less patch is out, but it's great to see a DRM scheme holding up against the pirates.

It's been beaten by the paying community. Probably because they didn't like not being able to play their game.

Looks like UBI pulled down the link. It involved a simple value change for Silent Hunter 5.

Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash
Mar 9, 2010, 00:34
Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 00:34
Mar 9, 2010, 00:34

Like I was saying earlier.

If "how the world works" equates to companies making things proprietary and forcing people to buy their product then of course I'll agree that it "can" work that way.

You seem to think that's the only way it should work though. With standards like Directx,OpenCL and GL I think the point can be made it doesn't have to work that way.

With your argument Agent, the problem with GM is that they weren't convincing the government to impose 20mph speed limits on all foreign cars in the United States. That way GM's cars can just fly right past everyone clearly superior! Imagine the money they'll make!

Man that's just good ol' capitalism right there. Plus everyone benefits so long as you buy the right car *nudge*.

Nvidia is just inventing a new rule that they want everyone to follow. The only fly in the ointment is when almost no one follows.

Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash
Mar 8, 2010, 20:01
Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 20:01
Mar 8, 2010, 20:01

No one here thinks it's kind of funny Nvidia has to pay for it?

I understand Nvidia thinks it's the cats ass but it seems like developers don't.

I certainly think hardware physics is a good idea. Especially since I love simulations. However I think if any one of these two companies tries to have their own version, thus screwing the other side out of part of the game it's really a loss for us as a whole. Something like OpenCL seems more promising.

Anyone remember the early days of 3d hardware? There was Rage3d, Glide, Virge, Rendition, Mystique etc. One card would work with a few custom built games but you were out of luck if no one wrote for "your" card. Those days were exciting to be out on the cutting edge, but it sucked if you ended up with the wrong card for the latest game. The games industry is much better for things like Direct X and OpenGL.

Re: Op Ed
Feb 14, 2010, 02:24
Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 02:24
Feb 14, 2010, 02:24

Agreed

Feb 14, 2010, 00:27
Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 00:27
Feb 14, 2010, 00:27

Yes really, multi-monitor is not required in any game that it currently works in. In fact, in some games you can't get multi-monitor to work right. So regular users aren't getting punished here. I don't see why anyone without multi-monitor should care aside from the cheating argument.

i never said anything about cheating. i dont give a fuck about cheating or someones little idea of how "bad ass" they are... so talk to whoever you are talking to but try listening at some point too

I was never arguing against "you" to begin with.

HardOCP's whole beef is that the company who made Global Agenda called extra FoV cheating.

So most people are either saying. HardOCP is immature for bringing this issue to light and discussing it. Some also think it really would be cheating and HardOCP is missing that point entirely.

I'm arguing against both.

You seemed to be pissed off that I dismissed people who can't handle an uneven playing field to go play consoles.

I can only imagine why you seemed to take it personally.

Consoles are fine with me. I own one. However I do prefer PC. Sorry if I let my personal preference in systems show ;).

Feb 14, 2010, 00:02
Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 00:02
Feb 14, 2010, 00:02

being "anti-conformist" is conforming.. that kind of understanding may not be for you, tho.

Fair enough, this was me joking. If you know the non-conformist goths in the show South Park you know where I'm coming from.

i think that REQUIRING multiple monitor support for all games is bullshit because REQUIRING shit in the first place is prohibitive

No one said multi-monitor is required. Just like a high end mouse isn't required. A $1000 quad-core isn't required. A monitor that does 2560x1600 isn't required. They are just perks.

Saying a greater Field of View is somehow cheating seems funny when you compare two people with very different machines. You can be running at 800x600 res with all graphic options off/min in a blurry mess at 20fps on a crap PC vs a guy who spent a lot more money who runs hi-res, AA on, sharpest picture you can buy in gaming at 100fps.

Is the guy who had more money cheating? It's certainly not fair. So why is the PC community okay with this scenario? I think we've just come to accept the good with the bad and upgrade when we can. It would be a mistake to force everyone into the same resolution, same frame rate, only certain mice/keyboard etc.

You want an even playing field. Play a console. You have a choice.

Just like any of us have a choice to bitch about a company who see's greater FoV as cheating. We get to bitch and we also get to buy other games that are willing to support emerging tech we enjoy.

If you don't agree that's fine. But you have to admit, even not supporting eyefinity does nothing to level the divide that is the result of the PC's ability to be upgradeable.

In fact I still think having a faster machine is more of a perk than the extra fov.

Feb 13, 2010, 23:27
Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2010, 23:27
Feb 13, 2010, 23:27

Oh so your version of "having fun" is conforming to the "hardcore PC gamer" ideology? and if we cant force ourselves to agree with the opinion of some obsessed nerd-rager, then we must be too pathetic to use anything except a console?

My comment applies to anyone who thinks that someone who has a better mouse or a better video card or faster machine in general = cheating.

If that's your stance then PC gaming really isn't for you. You'll probably want the "level" playing field of the console.

Nowhere did I say you have to agree with HardOCP's stance on Eyefinity or on calling out a company for calling extra FOV cheating.

Conform, be anti-conformist. I don't care. The reality is that PC's have always had this quality/curse. Whichever you think it is is up to you :P.

Feb 13, 2010, 20:12
Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2010, 20:12
Feb 13, 2010, 20:12

I don't see why everyone is so worked up Kyle over at HardOCP has an opinion that Eyefinity (actually, he mentions any type of multi-monitor setup, Nvidia/Matrox included) is a decent technology.

If you think multi monitor is stupid because it's expensive or you think it's cheating then fine. I guess this just might be the game for you :P.

Nobody is going to come down on your opinion, because you probably don't run a website. I really don't understand why he can't try to support a technology he believes in.

If you want that kind of voice then I suggest you start a very popular and decent website :D.

PC's have always been about moving forward with interesting technologies. Be it keyboards,mice,video cards etc. That's part of what makes them great. Any one of those things can viewed as cheating if you want to.

I suggest just trying to have fun on one of the most flexible platforms ever created. If you can't handle that, then maybe consoles are for you.

Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy
Jun 30, 2009, 14:50
Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 14:50
Jun 30, 2009, 14:50

This is quite the turn around from the old Warcraft 2 days.

Back then you could play a LAN game with 3 friends off of one CD. 6 friends with 2 and 8 with 3cd's. I understand the internet has proliferated and gaming has changed since then but I think this move is arrogant because it implies that the game can't be "introduced" to new people. I guess Blizzard thinks they're better than that now.
17 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older