Total Posts
7326 (Guru)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

7326 Comments. 367 pages. Viewing page 355.
Newer [  1    350  351  352  353  354  355  356  357  358  359  360  361  362  363  364  365    367  ] Older

Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day
Mar 15, 2011, 12:28
Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 12:28
Mar 15, 2011, 12:28

As embarrassing as this is for Bioware/EA, and in spite of my boycott of future Bioware/EA products because of this bullshit sequel, I do feel sorry for some of the peons at Bioware.

I am sure some of them worked their asses off under the gun of: quick(relatively) development/release time, "Press a Button ->Something Awesome Happens" nonsense, and probably a major overhaul in staffing vs the previous game.

I still think DA2 is a disgrace to the orginal, and the idea of a successor to the BG series, but it probably would have been a day 1 purchase for me if they had just called it Jade Empire 2 instead.

ps. I loved Jade Empire.

Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch
Mar 13, 2011, 21:07
Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 21:07
Mar 13, 2011, 21:07

I'm just glad everyone is being civil.

Re: Bunch of Heroes Trailer
Mar 13, 2011, 21:06
Re: Bunch of Heroes Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 21:06
Mar 13, 2011, 21:06

Small point, I think this is more of an isometric view than a top-down view!

Also this game looks pretty fun, reminds me of Smash TV or Robotron, or any of those classic co-op shooter games of the 80s, Ikari Warriors, Contra, Heavy Weapon, etc.

Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted
Mar 11, 2011, 19:27
Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 19:27
Mar 11, 2011, 19:27

Wow, as if there wasn't enough reason to boycott this game in the first place, now they can fucking ban you from a game you bought? A single player game? Rofl. This is the new shit, indeed. What happened to being able to play in an offline mode? Guess that change went unmentioned.

If you are thinking of responding with how you like the new style of this game, and it somehow makes up for bullshit like this, don't. Your opinions are wrong, and you are partially responsible for the death of the crpg. Welcome to the internet.

Bioware boycott is in full effect, or rather boycott of the shambling, rotten undead corpse of what was once Bioware, now forced to wander the earth by the malevolent will of EA.

Re: MS on Improving GFWL
Mar 8, 2011, 16:42
Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 16:42
Mar 8, 2011, 16:42

How you can make GFWL better:

1) patch all old games with GFWL to make it optional/removable.

2) Never include it in new games.

Eventually, after maybe 10-12 years, nostalgia will get the better of a few of us, as we look back on GFWL and think: "hey, it wasn't the worst thing humanity has ever created. Barely."

Then after nostalgia sets in, release a gog.com clone called GFWL. The End.

Re: Defenders of Ardania Trailer
Mar 8, 2011, 16:36
Re: Defenders of Ardania Trailer Mar 8, 2011, 16:36
Mar 8, 2011, 16:36

Mildly interesting.

Maybe the next, next generation of Tower Defense games will let you build units you can move around, maybe assign groups to a hotkey with, and attack an enemy base!

Then they could add head to head multiplayer, network support, and add more units, vehicles and infantry, resources to gather to spend on units and upgrades, it could be a new genre!

Then you would have a real time game, requiring a decent amount of strategy to play!

Re: Steam Guard Beta
Mar 7, 2011, 12:17
Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 7, 2011, 12:17
Mar 7, 2011, 12:17

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 09:07:
That's what is effectively done already though. You can only sell a Steam account really.

What? Currently you can USE your steam account and all games on any given machine you want, as long as you install Steam and the games, and log in with your account. Selling an account is another matter entirely, and not what anyone was talking about so far.

If your future game(s) are locked to one hardware setup, you CANNOT do multiple machine use, as CoD9 or whatever will be able to be played on one machine, thus the main disadvantage, for the end users, of any sort of hardware security/DRM nonsense.

Mar 6, 2011, 22:31
Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 22:31
Mar 6, 2011, 22:31

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 21:06:
Did they not patch out the UBI DRM? I thought they've removed all the "always online" shit from the games because it didn't work.
Who knows what the future holds, but I personally don't believe this Steam feature was aimed or even considered to slowly introduce hardware lock games.

We're just kind of going back and forth, glass is half empty/glass is half full at this point, but:

"Steam Guard is available to third parties to incorporate into their own applications through Steamworks."

That's from the initial press release, as I posted before. Obviously it is aimed at hardware locking future games, if the publisher so desires. I can't even see it being up for argument, really.

Mar 6, 2011, 20:40
Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 20:40
Mar 6, 2011, 20:40

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 20:17:
Steam guard is an optional feature. The hardware DRM is only available for people with 2nd gen Intel Core I CPUs. Do you really think that publishers will add a DRM scheme to their games that is not even available on anything but the 2nd gen Intel CPUs? That would be a major waste of time and money.

Lets say they do as you say and lock your games to a single CPU. What if you replace your CPU to a different one? Your games are no longer available to you? I am having a hard time believing this.

You are thinking about today, but what about in a year or more? Do you think AMD won't also release some compatible CPU in the future, if there is even a hint Intel might make some money? I can easily see hardware based DRM systems getting rammed down user throats because of piracy fears in the future.

Hell, look at what they have done in the recent past, with Ubisoft and EA games with constant online requirements, for single player. Does that seem reasonable? Of course not, but they did it anyway.

It's early on, but I am more concerned with the possible misuse of 'features' like this than I am with whatever possible benefits people may get from enhanced security.

The real tragedy will be in a year or two when people are praising CoD9 or Dragon Age 3 or whatever because "it's protected, only my computer can play it, dude!"

Mar 6, 2011, 19:24
Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 19:24
Mar 6, 2011, 19:24

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 10:07:

So far I have not seen too many features that Steam implemented that would not be beneficial to the users. You guys are speculating too much here with the DRM and all that. All Steam was talking about was implementing this hardware lock to access your account info, not your games. Steam Cloud service and games locked to 1 PC only goes totally against each other so I don't see Steam implement anything like that.
Not to mention Steam Guard is not mandatory, it is a feature if you want it, enable it, if not then carry on.

"Steam Guard is available to third parties to incorporate into their own applications through Steamworks."

That's from Valve's announcement. While yes, Steam Guard may provide added security to people who decide to use it, it is ALSO going to be available for publishers to use as hardware based DRM, and it would defeat the purpose if this aspect of Steam Guard could be opted out of.

What is hard to understand about this?

Mar 6, 2011, 09:55
Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 09:55
Mar 6, 2011, 09:55

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 08:35:
I wasn't talking about it being used as a DRM, I was talking about it being used as a security feature for the users.
Yes, you somehow believe this will only be a benefit to users, and not used in any way to increase control over future games. I believe you are mistaken.

I don't believe you're grasping what I am talking about.

Valve's use of cloud computing is not meant for control, but the ability for someone to access their information on a non-primary system. In other words, I can access my Steam information on a friends computer if I am visiting them.

I understand the stated purpose of cloud computing, and also what it actually boils down to: formerly private data stored elsewhere, under someone else's control.

This doesn't do anything you couldn't do before, with minor effort, aka a floppy disc or CD-R or email, sending/taking game saves/info to another location. Steam already allowed you to log in with your account name at any computer obviously. Does cloud computing make this easier for less tech savvy people? Sure. Is giving up control in any way acceptable for the minor increase in convenience? Not in my opinion.

4) You brought up the main hassle yourself, for most users: how to change to a new hardware group. Is this going to be ridiculously annoying? Probably.

Based on Valve's previous changes to Steam, it's probably going to start rough but quickly smooth out. I wouldn't expect it to be any more difficult than it is to 're-activate' Windows.

I guess we differ on what is tolerable, for no appreciable gain? Hopefully this system ends up like you imagine, a beneficial added security layer, not a huge hassle and eventual new games tied to one machine through Steam, as I suspect.

Re: Depth Revealed
Mar 6, 2011, 08:00
Re: Depth Revealed Mar 6, 2011, 08:00
Mar 6, 2011, 08:00

ASeven wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 09:10:
As a curiosity, this is being made by the same devs of Killing Floor.

Really? Interesting. On the one hand, hooray, they haven't all dropped off the face of the earth, on the other hand, make Killing Floor 2 already. Killing Floor had a lot of potential, but got boring a little too quickly with the map setup, leading to people camping certain spots.

Re: Technology of Dragon Age II
Mar 6, 2011, 07:56
Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 6, 2011, 07:56
Mar 6, 2011, 07:56

Jerykk wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 05:29:
A bit premature to judge the quality of DA2 on PC. The demo was underwhelming to most people here. I do agree that Bioware has put more effort into the PC port than other developers typically do, but that doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the game itself.

On a side note, GameInformer recently wrote an article about some of the major changes in DA2, based on a complete playthrough of the game. First, the skill system is gone. You can no longer craft (NPCs craft for you) or set traps. Persuasion is completely gone and pickpocketing is probably gone as well. Lockpicking still exists, though it's a passive skill that relies solely on your Cunning level. The article also mentions that you can now do companion quests regardless of your relationship with them. That seems pretty dumbed down to me. Your relationships are completely meaningless now. Your companions will still get stat bonuses regardless of how they feel about you and you no longer have to make tough choices about who you try to influence.

It's quite amazing, really. I don't think there's ever been a sequel where every single change has pissed me off. Not even Deus Ex 2 and Gothic 3 managed to pull that off, though they came pretty close.

Wow, that's horrible... I was already going to skip this game, but I had hoped that Bioware hadn't been destroyed by EA quite so quickly. R.I.P. Bioware

Oh well, Drakensang: River of Time is out in the US finally, $19.99 on Steam and other digital stores, for the base price! Should be half that pretty soon for you penny-pinchers / fence-sitters.

Mar 6, 2011, 07:48
Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 07:48
Mar 6, 2011, 07:48

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 04:37:
Actually it's a pretty good security feature as long as it isn't too obtrusive and annoying to update if/when you upgrade hardware (since that's what most of us do usually every 2 years).

As for making it a DRM system to block usage on multiple systems, that doesn't make sense since Valve has been actively pushing for cloud computing...

1) No DRM actually works, especially over time. Dongles and other hardware 'solutions' have failed repeatedly in the past, I don't see how this is radically different, and they end up being just a huge hassle most of the time anyway for legitimate users.

2) Cloud computing is bullshit for 99% of the user population, and exists only as a buzzword phrase to disguise the removal of even more control from users, aka storing some/all data for whatever app away from the users' primary computers.
*EDIT* Yes this statistic was made up for this post. *EDIT*

3) "Cloud computing" is not mutually exclusive from tying the majority of account control, or entire games as is probably the real plan, to one set of hardware. I can easily see Valve keeping some games 'open' and some newer games from Ubi or EA or whatever completely tied to ONE hardware setup per person. Will this happen? I guess we will see shortly.

4) You brought up the main hassle yourself, for most users: how to change to a new hardware group. Is this going to be ridiculously annoying? Probably.

Maybe it is a huge problem for some people, getting their Steam accounts taken over? Nobody I know on Steam(60+ people) has ever had their account even bothered in any way. Of course, maybe half those people are actually somebody ELSE now, after being hacked and stolen...

Re: Crysis 2 Multiplayer Trailer
Mar 5, 2011, 22:58
Re: Crysis 2 Multiplayer Trailer Mar 5, 2011, 22:58
Mar 5, 2011, 22:58

Lol, it's the return of Holo-Duke! Holographic decoys were in Duke-3d, for you younger punks out there.

Re: Technology of Dragon Age II
Mar 5, 2011, 22:54
Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 5, 2011, 22:54
Mar 5, 2011, 22:54

Wetworks wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 22:38:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6346703/1

The game will not ship with high res textures. You'll have to download them.

Rofl... what the... is this a joke? *EDIT*Apparently not, according to that thread, the textures will be available for separate download a week or so after release.

Practically every day brings a new piece of info that make me glad I am bypassing this embarrassment of a game.

Mar 5, 2011, 22:47
Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 5, 2011, 22:47
Mar 5, 2011, 22:47

Ugh, Steam accounts tied to specific hardware. This pretty much defeats the main good side to Steam DRM, aka being able to use one steam account on multiple systems.

Who would actually volunteer to use this? They claim it's only account MANAGEMENT at the moment, but it seems like this could very quickly become account access, especially as they also seem to be marketing it to developers/publishers.

What a shame, now I'm just going to have to wait 4-5 years for things to come out gog.com

Re: Happiness is a Warm Gun
Mar 5, 2011, 09:52
Re: Happiness is a Warm Gun Mar 5, 2011, 09:52
Mar 5, 2011, 09:52

Slashman wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 08:20:
Those must be really old days, because I'm almost 36 and I can't remember ever playing a mod like this.

I also don't know how you know its crappy. Are you in beta? You have some inside insight that we don't?

I'm not in beta, but if it's another ipad/iphone/X platform game, I am gambling that it will be dumbed down/simplified in some ways, if at the very least just the control scheme. Will this be crappy? It becomes personal opinion at this point.

Maybe it will be a good game, but yes it brings to mind other mods, not the exact same setting(post apocalyptic-westernish), but slight departures from standard fps games:

Action Quake(for being the first for nonstandard FPS moves), Day of Defeat(back when it was new, amazing and free), Pirates vs Vikings vs Ninja, the orignal QWTF that started it all, etc etc. All variations on class based team fps games, most basically ripping off QWTF to some extent.

You may remember those days as: "when mods for existing engines weren't instantly sold at retail" or "when CTF with crossbows was not an excuse to charge 9.99" or what have you.

Re: Happiness is a Warm Gun
Mar 5, 2011, 07:59
Re: Happiness is a Warm Gun Mar 5, 2011, 07:59
Mar 5, 2011, 07:59

Ah, I remember the old days, when a game like this would just be a free mod, instead of a crappy retail product.

/Get off my lawn, damn kids/

Re: Guild Wars II Thief Revealed
Mar 4, 2011, 02:54
Re: Guild Wars II Thief Revealed Mar 4, 2011, 02:54
Mar 4, 2011, 02:54

This game looks great! I look forward to playing it when it finally comes out in 2014.

7326 Comments. 367 pages. Viewing page 355.
Newer [  1    350  351  352  353  354  355  356  357  358  359  360  361  362  363  364  365    367  ] Older