Total Posts
7325 (Guru)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

7325 Comments. 367 pages. Viewing page 20.
Newer [  1    15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    367  ] Older

Re: Steam Sale Dates Revealed
Oct 26, 2021, 17:01
Re: Steam Sale Dates Revealed Oct 26, 2021, 17:01
Oct 26, 2021, 17:01

Devil's Advocate: Just because a lot of game based AV detections are false positives, it doesn't mean every AV detection is a false positive. Steam isn't infallible, and it would not surprise me at all if some cheap asset-flip games on Steam actually have viruses or other malware (crypto miners probably) in them.

Are your particular games in this latter category? No idea, but it's not going to hurt you to google their names and check if anybody else is getting DEFINITE false positives on Avast, which is a major AV with tens of millions of users at least, so surely somebody else will have reported this to Avast or even the Steam forums of those games.

For the record, I am using Avira, which hasn't had flagged any games, especially retail games I bought through Steam/GoG/Origin/Epic/Battle.net/UPlay pretty much... ever? Some mods, even from Nexusmods, sure.

Re: Into the Black
Oct 26, 2021, 14:11
Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2021, 14:11
Oct 26, 2021, 14:11

Pfft, even ignoring the potential for mistakes, this seems like a boring shooting range. Rifle only, prone only, targets are their targets only with audio detection? I'd pass on this even if something was built like it in the US without the road or cows nearby.

It is hard to tell from the camera view, but it looks a little long range to have newbies using iron sights only, also.

Re: A Quiet Place Announced
Oct 26, 2021, 14:08
Re: A Quiet Place Announced Oct 26, 2021, 14:08
Oct 26, 2021, 14:08

Bleh. I haven't seen the second movie, as it went to theaters directly during the pandemic (fuck that) and isn't yet included on any normal streaming service without additional payment... but the first one had enough logical failures that I'm not expecting a decent game to be made out of it. Stay quiet, then stun enemies and shoot them in the mouth? Times 9000? The logic of the universe doesn't seem like it'll make a decent game, let alone a good one.

Re: Steam Top 10
Oct 24, 2021, 19:28
Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 24, 2021, 19:28
Oct 24, 2021, 19:28

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2021, 17:51:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 24, 2021, 16:55:
Avoid if you are a fan of They are Billions level of difficulty, because Riftbreaker is far, far easier, in a fun, massively overpowered, automatic nuclear missile launching mech sort of way.

You may want to actually try out Survival mode, as it has clearly been modeled fairly closely after TAB in terms of difficulty and how you have to win on the first map to unlock the next one (which is even harder because of additional environmental threats and enemy variations), etc. There is no infinite research time and endless farming to build up a base like is possible in the campaign, you have 90 minutes to start from scratch and run around like a chicken with your head cut off, hoping you build up enough to last for the duration. It's pretty common for people to have expectations like yours after beating the campaign the first time, but that will probably lead to the first attack wave being a real shit-your-pants moment, lol. Also remember there are higher levels of difficulty for the campaign if you feel Normal is too easy, though I believe they've said they're still working on tweaking the balance for those.

Anyway, this is the second time Riftbreaker has been on the list (they announced 200k sales after the first week), and I'm glad it's doing well. Anyone who enjoys action-RPGs, twin-stick shooters, RTS, base-building survival, or all of the above should check it out.

Oh really? I had mistakenly figured Survival mode was basically a big sandbox; apparently the campaign is just the tutorial for Survival if it's that much harder. I will definitely take a look then. So far I have just finished the campaign on whatever the day 1 default difficulty was.

Given the extremely long research times and prerequisites, I can see Survival being pretty difficult if your time limit is literally 90mins!? You will have gray level 1 garbage items and towers, maybe a few blues. Assuming no numbers are tweaked for materials and times, etc.

*EDIT* Grammar.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2021, 21:16.

Re: Steam Top 10
Oct 24, 2021, 16:55
Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 24, 2021, 16:55
Oct 24, 2021, 16:55

Whoa, interesting to see Riftbreaker on this list. I bought it, but I didn't think it was anywhere near mainstream enough to break the top 10. Congratulations to EXOR studios!

I played through the campaign, and the difficulty is kind of low, if you do research and upgrade regularly, you can really only die if you get extremely careless. I haven't tried the survival mode yet, but I have to assume it's more of the same: a lot of mining and research, easily demolishing the enemy with upgraded towers and mech weapons.

I got about 25-30 hours out of the campaign, with some timekilling at the end to finish all research. The final battle was not much of a challenge at all with massed level 3 towers and repair stations. Definitely had some more optimal towers too.. Gatling, Laser, Missile and Artillery towers are far superior to Flame/Regular Gun/Sentry Drone towers. Plasma and Railgun towers were somewhere in the middle in effectiveness, railgun towers suffered from long reload and picking the less optimal targets.

Biggest danger to any base would be the extreme long distance ranged enemies, but you can just jump out there and blow them up in half a second with your mech.

Pretty fun game but its main loop did get old within that 30 hour or so period. Hopefully they have enough success to do some DLC campaigns with some smarter enemies, the AI was also pretty primitive.

It was kind of hilarious to have your character and the suit AI be like: "Hrm, I wonder why these creatures are so aggressive?" as you strip mine their entire planet, and literally recycle plants and animals into fuel to burn their world to a cinder as you drain it of resources. "What could possibly be angering them?"

*EDIT* Whoops missed your post, LordSteev, although I guess I kind of gave a review. TL,DR: buy it on sale for sure, if you like building massive bases. Avoid if you are a fan of They are Billions level of difficulty, because Riftbreaker is far, far easier, in a fun, massively overpowered, automatic nuclear missile launching mech sort of way.

Re: Battlefield 2042 Beta Debreifing
Oct 22, 2021, 14:29
Re: Battlefield 2042 Beta Debreifing Oct 22, 2021, 14:29
Oct 22, 2021, 14:29

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 21, 2021, 21:42:
Not a damn thing about helicopter controls.... wtf.

And yes I'm gonna be a broken record about this. This is the one thing holding me back from purchasing the game.

Were the helicopter controls that bad? Previous BF games had a decent midpoint between simulator and arcade for me, playable and not too annoying.

Oct 20, 2021, 23:33
Re: Into the Black Oct 20, 2021, 23:33
Oct 20, 2021, 23:33

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 19:09:
I haven't even seen a clip of SG yet. But from everything I've heard on the news, I'm not in any hurry to see it.
Well, it's a very good South Korean dystopian show. Very depressing, but I basically watched it in almost one sitting; it is engrossing. Don't watch any spoilers.

I did watch the subtitle version, apparently the dub version (as usual) is terribly done. Even the subtitles are apparently not always accurate, for that matter.

If you aren't fond of dark, dystopian shows, non-Engish subtitled shows, violent shows, etc. then it may not be for you, of course.

Oct 20, 2021, 12:49
Re: Into the Black Oct 20, 2021, 12:49
Oct 20, 2021, 12:49

Bleh, almost none of these airport except maybe the New Zealand one pose additional dangers. The views are spectacular, so I guess that part is accurate. I got misled by the title, spectacular landings implies some of the airports that have far more dangerous approaches, at least to me.

Re: More Than 20 Exit Activision Blizzard After Lawsuits
Oct 20, 2021, 12:45
Re: More Than 20 Exit Activision Blizzard After Lawsuits Oct 20, 2021, 12:45
Oct 20, 2021, 12:45

Well, good, but I wonder how badly Diablo 4 is going to suffer from all of this.

Don't lose focus, whoever is left!

Re: Evening Interviews
Oct 20, 2021, 12:42
Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2021, 12:42
Oct 20, 2021, 12:42

I loved PoEt 1 and 2, as well as Tyranny. I started Outer Worlds but put it on hold waiting for the DLCs to all come out, I should get back to it. Did anybody play their other RPG, Grounded? It got some good reviews apparently.

Also, their 'mega' game Avowed comes out... next year? I'm looking forward to it.

I can see people not liking the PIllars games, but it's a real shame. Having played Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous all the way through, I really, REALLY appreciate the level of polish and writing in the Pillars games, It may be time to run through PoEt 2 again, actually. I think I finished it before the last DLC came out.

Re: Steam Deck Game Verification Program
Oct 19, 2021, 14:05
Re: Steam Deck Game Verification Program Oct 19, 2021, 14:05
Oct 19, 2021, 14:05

This is really interesting as a piece of hardware, but I probably won't bother getting it. The screen looks basically useless to me, at my current vision level.

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Login Queue Patch
Oct 19, 2021, 14:03
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Login Queue Patch Oct 19, 2021, 14:03
Oct 19, 2021, 14:03

Sheesh, I'm glad I avoided the Warcraft 3 remaster as well as this apparent shit-show.

Hopefully, somehow, somebody at Blizzard gets their shit together before Diablo 4 gets released, but I doubt it.

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 19, 2021, 14:00
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2021, 14:00
Oct 19, 2021, 14:00

Good luck with the forever chemicals, EPA. The USA is a toxic cesspool of military bases and industrial dumps. If companies stopped dumping this fucking second, it'd still take 300 years to clean up.

*EDIT* plus the next time the Republicans gain power they will most likely attempt to fully dismantle the EPA, because Republicans don't breathe air or drink water, apparently.

Re: GOG.com Adding New Browsing Methods
Oct 19, 2021, 13:59
Re: GOG.com Adding New Browsing Methods Oct 19, 2021, 13:59
Oct 19, 2021, 13:59

Good, I guess. I didn't realize this was a big problem? I haven't had any trouble finding stuff on GoG, as long it was actually on the service... some notable omissions lately, CD ProjektRED.

Re: "We have no idea how they did this..."
Oct 18, 2021, 13:20
Re: "We have no idea how they did this..." Oct 18, 2021, 13:20
Oct 18, 2021, 13:20

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 18, 2021, 12:56:
Sure you do. You know that China is one of the, if not the, biggest perpetrators of IP theft in the world. The US has been working on scramjet powered hypersonic missiles for decades now. It would surprise literally no one with the ability to breathe autonomously that China had stolen the tech, if not the plans, from the US.
Most likely.

Burrito of Peace wrote:
As for "indefensible"...no. Light still travels many times faster than a hypersonic missile, even in the atmosphere. We have the lasers but that's only part of it. What we need are tracking systems that are fast enough and accurate enough to guide those lasers to a target traveling that fast.

Well, you're right, in that the US does not currently possess the technology to stop 1 of these, let alone hundreds at a time. It may not ever be feasible to stop large numbers of hypersonic kinetic weapons... are they going to get blown up and the debris hits a larger area? Hypersonic kinetic weapons especially are going to be a real super weapon in the very near future, and will probably lead to another 80's style MAD diplomatic/cold war stand off. No one is going to have enough lasers with enough power on standby 24/7 to vaporize large numbers of these things or even affect a real attack in any meaningful way. It'll be a pipe dream at best, or security theater for the public.

Re: Steam reportedly Banning Crypto Games
Oct 17, 2021, 03:40
Re: Steam reportedly Banning Crypto Games Oct 17, 2021, 03:40
Oct 17, 2021, 03:40

Good. Fuck cryptocurrencies and NFTs.

Re: Epic Welcomes Blockchain Games
Oct 17, 2021, 03:34
Re: Epic Welcomes Blockchain Games Oct 17, 2021, 03:34
Oct 17, 2021, 03:34

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 17, 2021, 00:58:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2021, 00:32:
Does blockchain by definition require massive amounts of power? I know Bitcoin is designed that way in order that it maintain its value, but does it always mean that blockchain must use successively more resources?

In short, no.

In layman's terms, "blockchain" is just nothing more than a trustworthy ledger because each block, and the data therein, is checksummed and cryptographically signed. I won't say it's impossible to forge the veracity of any one block, just very, very unlikely and it would take someone from a incredibly tiny pool of mathematicians to pull it off.

Most people automatically equate "blockchain" with "cryptocurrency" or NFTs. Those items use blockchain technology but they are not blockchain in and of themselves. Here's an example of using a private blockchain that has nothing to do with cryptocurrency or NFTS:

Let's say you, Bob, Inez, and Ibrihim are working on a very sensitive project and you are all working out of your home offices in disparate parts of the world. You get your part done. You use blockchain to insure that the data you send to Bob is both good and secure. Bob adds his part in a new block and sends it to Inez. She can doublecheck that the parts you and Bob have sent her have not been tampered with in anyway because the data in the block matches its checksum and it matches the cryptographic signatures of you and Bob. She then adds her block and sends it on to Ibrihim who does the same thing. So all of you turn your project in and, because you have people who went to school somewhere other than ITT, they audit the entire chain. All the signatures and checksums match and the end result of your project can be determined to be true, correct, and secure.

I have started using blockchain to insure and verify the security of my backups both here and at work. It costs zero additional cycles, and therefore power, to do so. We waste much more power for playing games. You can even add blocks on to a chain or create a chain from a very low power device like a Raspberry Pi. It would take a while because of a Raspberry Pi's relatively slow speed, but it is doable.

This is an interesting post, and I've never knowingly used any program involving a blockchain, but how expensive is it (computationally) for each of the parties in your example to verify the blocks? It's more than just comparing checksums (as far as I understand it), and decoding whatever cryptography is attached has to take some computational power each time. I concede that it's probably less than a lot of other programs and of course games in your example, but as you say, slow Raspberry Pis would take a long time to perform whatever calculations are required. Does that imply that as the blockchain increases in length, it requires more and more computations, as well as more and more space, aka the main problems with Bitcoin currently? (Aside from the straight mining issues) I get that your example is far smaller in scale than Bitcoin, but on a longer timescale, won't all blockchain programs have to take more computational power to read/encode/decode/verify/whatever quickly? How expensive is it computationally for the final audit of the entire chain? Obviously your company wouldn't be using it if it was terrible, but it seems impossible that it's zero additional cycles for proof-of-work or proof-of-stake? (My apologies if that was just exaggeration to demonstrate the point)

Then, for some massive global corporation like Epic, how expensive over time would their version of whatever they are planning to do with Blockchains get? Extra verification/decoding by potentially millions of users, either games companies, resellers, or just players/customers. At that sort of company scale, it seems logical that it would get computationally expensive a lot quicker than for smaller team applications. On top of that, how many extra millions of computers(mostly users) have to end up with hundreds of gigabytes of blockchain ledger on their computers if they use EGS? (Worst case scenario)

Then the question becomes what data is Epic going to try to store in whatever Blockchains they will create; they have already come under fire for harvesting user data a couple of times.

On your private blockchains you use at your job, I'm sure it makes sense: everybody has a built in backup, whatever project's chain won't ever get too cumbersome and you can just start a new one for the next project. Somehow I don't think Epic's version is going to be that similar.

Re: Epic Welcomes Blockchain Games
Oct 16, 2021, 21:19
Re: Epic Welcomes Blockchain Games Oct 16, 2021, 21:19
Oct 16, 2021, 21:19

Ah yes, blockchain, the buzzword resulting in the excess waste of obscene amounts of energy to crunch useless numbers. Of course Epic would jump in on this.

Re: The Riftbreaker Breaks Out
Oct 15, 2021, 15:45
Re: The Riftbreaker Breaks Out Oct 15, 2021, 15:45
Oct 15, 2021, 15:45

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 15, 2021, 06:07:
I played for 8 hours this evening because the game is fuckin' awesome, but that still doesn't make sense to me, lol. I don't know what you're trying to do, since geothermal power plants do not require water, they're built on top of huge geysers after all. They fill your pipes with mud because that's the byproduct that flows from their single output space, which I don't have connected to anything on most of the ones I've built. But if you need water for something else, it can be a replacement for needing to build a standard pump out in one of the muddy ponds. In fact, when the fluid tutorial came up for me, I had to build a superfluous pump just to satisfy the objective, as all my water was coming from geothermal plants.

Hrm, what the hell, I only have 2 geothermal plants at one base, so it's not a huge investment, so maybe I have that whole pumping system backwards on those two.

That would explain the mud then, guess I can demolish my pipe system to those two then.

*EDIT* Haha, sure enough, the Geothermal plant is +100 mud, not -100 mud. My bad, thanks jacobvandy.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2021, 15:58.

Re: The Riftbreaker Breaks Out
Oct 15, 2021, 00:55
Re: The Riftbreaker Breaks Out Oct 15, 2021, 00:55
Oct 15, 2021, 00:55

It'll make sense in game if you end up getting Riftbreaker: Geothermal power stations require water, but most of the planet seems to just have muddy water or some sort of slime, so you need to build filtration stations. However if you do NOT, at least right away, and connect mud/sludge/slime pipes to geothermal stations, they still seem to work, but adding in a filtration system later does not remove the mud/slime from the pipes or power station. It seems like a bug to me, because the clean water sometimes goes a few pipe segments up, then it just ends up being dirty near the power station, at least graphically, not sure if it's just not getting updated correctly. It could also be intended, like you've damaged/tainted your high tech power station and now it's permanently weaker or something.

The fix currently seems to be just sell all the dirty pipes and power stations and rebuild.
7325 Comments. 367 pages. Viewing page 20.
Newer [  1    15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    367  ] Older