Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 4311 (Master)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Project Warlock Released
3. Re: Project Warlock Released Oct 19, 2018, 09:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks like nostalgic fun, but also looks like they took either the Doom or Duke3d engine and barely updated it. I don't know if I can bring myself to go back to that sort of thing now, looks painful on the eyes after an hour or two.

I think more of their target audience is on Gog these days than Steam though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Development Ending
1. Re: Dirty Bomb Development Ending Oct 18, 2018, 22:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

Welp, that was fast. I mentally had this in the queue to try out at some point; too late, apparently.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2018, 13:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2018, 10:40:
Just got a beta invite to Generation Zero. Did anyone else get in on this?

Hrm, hopefully that game turns out great! I don't beta test anymore(intentionally, buggy retail releases aside ) but I'm really interested in Generation Zero. Let us know how the beta is, please.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2018, 13:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

"perfectly" ... yeah you may want to reconsider your choice of words there.

It's technically Harrison Ford-like, but pretty uncanny valley-ish in most scenes.

I get the idea though, eventually it'll be seemless and undetectable. Some truly ridiculous problems will be coming up soon, no doubt, with falsified video.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 18, 2018, 13:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Battlefield single player campaigns... lol!

An alternate history WWII game would have been so much better, oh well. I'll probably still end up getting BFV eventually.

News Comments > Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Trailer
2. Re: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Trailer Oct 18, 2018, 13:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dravnt wrote on Oct 18, 2018, 11:30:
I'll be honest: I'm not really looking forward to this one.

I love XCOM series and one of my fav components of the games was being able to craft my own characters, stories, and relationships.

Being given pre-made characters doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm in the same boat, mostly. I love turned based tactical games, but several design decisions here feel a little bit off. Extremely small, pre-generated squad(do you get more eventually? Not sure), seems like a slight ripoff of the Elephantmen comic, and the power selection for such a small team seems kind of limited.

I'll keep an eye on it, but not going to jump on it on release day or anything, at this rate.

News Comments > More Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Launch Records
3. Re: More Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Launch Records Oct 18, 2018, 13:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 18, 2018, 09:48:
I was going to buy it, decided to watch some gameplay, and saw someone pulling off 20 nosnope sniper kills a minute.

Nope.

He's probably just really, really good.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 17, 2018, 07:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

"High performance HELICOPTERS!" - Denny Green, a much less famous quote from an equally impressive speech.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 17, 2018, 07:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2018, 00:59:
Heh, that UpTown Spot is pretty entertaining.

Robots are getting fairly naturalistic.

*jdreyer says, right before version 2.0 of that robot jumps through his window and begins turbo murdering him*

Seriously though, I wonder when Boston Dynamics gets tasked to build their first combat robot, if they haven't already.

News Comments > Battlefield V Trailer
5. Re: Battlefield V Trailer Oct 17, 2018, 07:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Yup, Youtube is back up... Mark Strong is pulling in that big money now, voicework (and face licensing!) for BFV and Star Citizen!

I will probably get BFV at some point, not sure if I'll bother to pre-order though. Too many good single player games out right now, eating up all my gaming time.

News Comments > Battlefield V Trailer
2. Re: Battlefield V Trailer Oct 16, 2018, 22:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, 10pm EST, East coast USA(obviously) and Youtube isn't working for me, anybody else having issues? Not just this video, any video.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Sets Activision Record
2. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Sets Activision Record Oct 15, 2018, 10:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

MT Silver wrote on Oct 15, 2018, 10:15:
Curious lack of numbers here... Just how many did they sell?

Vague claims with no actual information to back it up is today's game, especially for shareholder/stock related press releases like this.

*EDIT* That said, I'm sure they sold a metric shit-ton, as people love BR games for some reason, and CoD always has a huge insane following anyway. I was tempted to get it and I haven't played any CoD since 4, until I saw that it's basically $80 for the actual full game.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Video
25. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Video Oct 13, 2018, 17:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 16:03:

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 15:38:
As for insurance, this is gonna get complicated real fast because the thieving mechanic could easily be used for insurance fraud if thief and "victim" work together.
CIG will have to invest serious amounts of programming to close all possible loopholes and to program tracking mechanics to discover abuse of the insurance system.
And even then it will likely turn into one of those cat & mouse games where the players will always have an edge by finding new ways to exploit before CIG can patch them.

No, Sir, this idea (which I just picked as an example out of many very retarded proposals by His Cult Leadershipness) is shitty and dumb.
Insurance fraud will be monitored and invalidate lifetime insurance, so few who have spent real world money will be tempted. Why attempt fraud if it could cost you a ship valued up to $2,500? Again it comes down to how the mechanic works and how it is balanced.

LOL, the level of griefing this little exchange hints at... is going to be beyond insane.

If this game comes out in our lifetimes, it will become radioactive in terms of PKing and trolling in about a week.

People on the forums in the future: "When is CIG going to do something about this fucking insurance fraud!?!?!"

*EDIT* sentence structure

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 13, 2018, 14:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

What the... I had a long, rambling post here in this section... oh wait, this URL is also in the 'Morning Interviews' a little bit lower down. Double Post!

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 13, 2018, 14:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 14:36:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 14:33:
The real question is now, how do I disable the 'involuntarily become a Beta Tester' option?
https://www.ubuntu.com/ {wink}

I know, I know.

I run Mint linux on two comps, one multimedia machine for the tv/stereo/living room and one for office type work. Unfortunately my gaming machines are stuck with at least a dual boot to Windows 8.1 or in the case of the laptop, Win 10(came with it).

I haven't tried WINE etc. in years, I may need to go back to that and just hope for the best pretty soon. Although there IS a P:K linux version out, apparently it's complete shite at the moment, bug wise.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Video
18. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Video Oct 13, 2018, 14:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Visually impressive, but holy shit, this will be the gold standard for feature creep in software for decades.

Also, remember the good old days, when this was some sort of space sim thing that people were buying space ships in, before the game was even released? You'd think even the die-hards would miss those simpler times.

Also as others have said, Fast Travel please, to skip your boring train ride waste of resources, sheesh.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 13, 2018, 14:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

God dammit, that explains what happened to my laptop the past few days.

My only Windows 10 machine, although it's looking like it may be time to format it and put Windows 8.1 on it, went through an update process that somehow erased my soundchip drivers, became unable to automatically find new ones, and refused the ones I manually downloaded.

I tried uninstalling the updates, to no avail. Of course I hit Check for Updates several times during this whole process, as I figured something had been corrupted during download possibly.

Finally got it working after reinstalling the updates, installing an OLD version of Realtek audio, uninstalling that, then letting windows try to find a driver a few times, and somehow in that process of 12 reboots my sound is working again.

Unfortunately that's where I have Pathfinder:Kingmaker installed.

Reading online, apparently that's happened several times before for other updates, as far as disabling audio on laptops and not being able to recover.

The real question is now, how do I disable the 'involuntarily become a Beta Tester' option?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 12, 2018, 18:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

I've got about 40 hours into Pathfinder:Kingmaker so far, and...it has the potential to be something truly amazing. It may end up on the level of Baldur's Gate II eventually, in terms of a long term, epic, classic game.

Unfortunately at the moment, there are bugs, balance issues, and a lack of transparency about a lot of mechanics, particularly the kingdom management mechanics. It'll take a few major patches to really make this game great.

That said, I love P:K, and I'm addicted. No major bugs so far, nothing game breaking(that I know of), my Barony is 'Stable' and growing in Act 2, on Normal difficulty, and I haven't messed up any class build too badly. I was not familiar with the Pathfinder rules, so I definitely made a few mistakes here and there, but good micro can overcome some inefficient builds.

Some major standout points from the game so far:

Sneak attack damage is borderline overpowered. A good Rogue, or even Octavia set up as an Arcane Trickster, can annihilate enemies.

A supreme AC tank is probably required, I've been using the Tower Shield NPC crossed over to Stalwart Defender.

Alchemists are amazing.

Bards are amazing.

Most classes have some amazing abilities honestly, only one that's sorta boring right now is pure fighter, but why stay a pure fighter?

Enemy scaling is out of whack still(Patch 1.08B, GoG). Even on normal, sometimes my main tank with 35AC default will get almost 1-shotted by some random encounter jokers.

DO NOT SELL ANY BOOKS/TOMES THAT DO NOT STACK.

The game desperately needs lighter Rations, Teleportation back to the Barony, or mods to do those two things. Also, horses would be nice, at least as an upgrade for movement speed/storage. No need to add horse graphics or riding mechanics, although there are horse models already in game.

Adventure around, for 4-5 days, maybe a BIT longer, then check on the Barony and do some Events/Projects. Repeat. Otherwise your budding kingdom will fall to ruin basically in like 10 days.

Giant Slugs are more dangerous to your party than Dragons, currently. Bug? Pathfinder rules? I don't know, but Giant Slugs melee for like 80+ and have large AoE breath weapons, and a ton of hitpoints. By contrast I easily killed a couple Ancient Wyverns already with no problem, while an unbuffed group will get wiped by a Giant Slug breath attack...

AoE resistance buffs win fights.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. The game is great, I hope they succeed in patching it up and listen to feedback about some of the more awkward mechanics (Travel, Rations/Camping, time waste vs kingdom management time requirements, etc.)

There was a new patch today, 1.08C on GoG, probably just a few more bug fixes, but I'll check it out tonight hopefully.

tl,dr: buy Pathfinder:Kingmaker on GoG or even Steam, it's fun now, and will probably be great in a month or so.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 12, 2018, 18:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Charging Amazon or UPS/Fedex more would help, but as always, the real problem for the USPS financially is their utterly insane retirement fund requirements. Unlike any other entity on the planet, they are required by federal law to have, in liquid savings, the FULL POTENTIAL BENEFITS for their entire plan.

No other organization on the planet has that requirement, as far as I know. Sure, the USPS can charge more, but get Congress to stop trying to put them out of business with that retirement pre-funding bullshit first.

Read here.

Surprisingly, most people don't know about that, and assume the USPS is utterly financially incompetent or something.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2018, 10:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 23:06:
Dude! The Giants O line needs some serious help...

The Giants O line has needed serious help for about a decade, give or take a few years. I'd be surprised if the Giants didn't end up with the worst record in the league this year.

Of course, they will scrape out another win or two, to avoid getting the top draft picks. *shakes fist at the heavens*

4311 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo