Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3626 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2017, 12:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

I've read about this smoldering town several times now, and probably the biggest takeaway (for me, at least) is that some people will literally kill themselves just to avoid being told what to do by the gub'mint.

"Toxic gas, sinkholes, fires, no utilities or basic services? You'll pay for double the value of my house? Fuck off, I'll stay here and die before I move!" -The 7 people currently still alive there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer Oct 24, 2017, 12:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks like another entry for the $9.99 and under sale list.

Climb more towers in gorgeous 4k!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Banning E-Cigarettes Oct 24, 2017, 12:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

Good, fuck those slightly watered down cancer sticks. Just use a patch or something, don't blow your toxic vapor into other peoples' faces.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Last Action Hero Oct 23, 2017, 21:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Last Action Hero 'failed' as others have said, going up against other blockbusters at around the same time period, and also because people simply didn't get that it was supposed to be satire. I remember watching it in the theater and people getting up and walking out at a couple of scenes, literally angry and cursing.

Anedotal evidence, surely, but like a lot of films, the actual message was lost on a lot of the audience.

I thought it was a good movie, honestly.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs
1. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs Oct 23, 2017, 20:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

55GB, well that figures. Time to finish up Homefront: The Revolution up, and get that 68GB back.

Silly me, thinking I could put a heavy handful of AAA games on a 500GB SSD at the same time.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 22, 2017, 20:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

I've never heard of Vungle before this article, but it's not really surprising to anyone that a CEO is actually a criminal, potentially a psychopath, is it?  

News Comments > First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2
8. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 19:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Quinn wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 16:40:
DOS2, SoW, Elex, Destiny 2 in two days...

I'm sated for now. I will buy this game soon, though.

Can any "fan" of the first tell me how they experience this sequel?

I'm enjoying the second game quite a bit, at least as much as the first one. In short, I recommend TEW2 highly, if you liked the first one.

More in depth:

I played through the first game twice, with the New Game+ or whatever ii was called option the second time, which gives you additional(sorta broken) weapons to fool around with. For some reason I really enjoy the third person horror/shooter combo games, ie. Dead Space, Resident Evil series, and now TEW series. It's a nice changeup from tons of FPS/RTS/etc. games for me.

They went with a more open world setup for the second one, limited open world, I should say; it's a bit of a hassle going between the chunks of the universe, for story reasons and probably console hardware reasons, but you can go back and forth. Enemies are mostly scripted in terms of position, or story sequence, but will use their behavior scripts to patrol, massacre random nub npcs, etc. They will hear or see you and give chase, although you can escape most enemy types with some dodging and getting out of sight/into cover/into a safe house. So far, in Chapter 4, I've seen... 2 major boss enemies, maybe 4-5 grunt type zombies with various abilities but easy to kill, two much harder to kill monster humanoids with better abilities, and a wolfish monster version that is pretty fast and low to the ground, with seemingly much better detection. So far, in Chapter 4, I cannot kill the two boss enemies, and have just avoided them when they come across me.

Kill the regulars and they drop mostly materials for weapons upgrades, ammo components, and Green Gel, which does player upgrades like the previous game. Now there are also jars of Red Gel, and High Quality Weapon parts, which unlock segments of the player and weapon upgrade trees, and drop seemingly only in rare story segments/challenges.

I've cleared out zones, essentially farming weaker enemies for their resources(upgrade costs go up quickly) and story events seem to unlock more enemies or make new ones spawn for various reasons in areas you thought were safe. Not egregiously so, the game will give you hints or sometimes a peek of enemies coming back in, but it's enough to not make you lazy running back to a safehouse to craft something. Check those corners!

At first I was annoyed with the crafting, but after awhile, I've come to feel that the ammo system is better than the first game, for everything EXCEPT the crossbow. in TEW1, you could reuse Harpoons sometimes, in TEW2 they are gone forever, even if you just decapitated a guy 5 feet away right into a wood wall. Gunpowder can be made into Pistol/Shotgun/Sniper Rifle ammo at a workbench, minor suspension of disbelief required, but it cleans up the loot tables. The workbench does have a bullet loader setup though, to be fair. The Crossbow is still an amazing weapon, and useful in a wide variety of situations: so far I have Harpoon/Explosive/Shock/Smoke bolts unlocked. Pistol, shotgun, and Sniper rifle are about as good as you'd hope they would be, in the appropriate range situations.

Resident Evil style Herbs can still be collected, to make into Syringes or Medkits. Medkits heal more, but are limited to one at a time in your inventory, while Syringes are more numerous, heal less, but can also be upgraded to heal you on lethal damage, ie. last chance heal. You can also heal from recharging coffee makers(drink a cup) in a few safehouses...it's a virtual world, what do you want.

Player upgrades are similar to the first game, with a few cool new powers so far. Melee Kick, high speed takedown, stabbing takedown around a corner, A slowdown ability for ranged, and a consecutive shot damage buff for ranged. There are some defensive powers also, most useful one so far to me has been the %dodge ability.

Weapons upgrade in a similar fashion, mostly like the fist game, with more damage, ammo capacity, etc. and a few new abilities mixed in.

Ammo on Survival mode and up seems to be quite scarce, I conserve ammo vs most enemies by sneaking up when I can and using melee takedowns, but the melee takedown seems purposely longer(the actual animation) to make it riskier when near multiple enemies. You can also still pick up one-shot melee weapons like the Handaxe, which break after using.

I'm running the game on Max/Ultra settings, core i7 7600 4ghz, SSD, 1070GTX, 144hz monitor, and it looks and sounds gorgeous. Only drawback on that front for me so far is they have a different voice actor for Castellanos(main char) who is not as good, in my opinion, as TEW1's actor. The rest of the cast varies from acceptable to remarkably good VA quality. Character models, especially the monsters, look great, but yes there are definitely more photo-realistic games out there. Ambient sounds and creature sounds are impressive. They did a good job making them recognizable enough that you can discern enemy types nearby, out of sight, by their audio cues. Which helps for ambushing the shit out of them.

If you've read this far, congrats, or I apologize, or something. When I get time to play, I'm getting back into the old sleep deprivation mode, playing for 5-6 hours at a time. Just one more area... just one more upgrade... Third person Horror/Shooter skinner box has claimed another victim.

News Comments > First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2
1. Re: First-Person Mode Within The Evil Within 2 Oct 22, 2017, 14:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, obviously there is a FPS mode... at one point in the story line, you are forced into first person view for a (so far) small portion of the game, because of an environmental hazard. It plays well, although I'm already used to the TPS view for the game, I could see playing it entirely in first person.

It would probably be a fair bit harder though, much harder to 'cheat' around corners without the over the shoulder camera.

*Disclaimer* I'm about 12 hours into TEW2, and I really enjoyed the first game. I have a smattering of powers unlocked, just picking whatever seems useful so far. Some ranged, some melee, some stealth.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Season Details
9. Re: Destiny 2 Season Details Oct 21, 2017, 18:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whoa, what is this, a Star Citizen thread?

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Oct 21, 2017, 15:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nucas wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 14:25:

have you checked out House of the Dying Sun? its a bit more of a traditional type of sim with some mild fleet command elements.

i thought everspace was an ok time but the "roguelike" and "crafting" elements i just have to accept are something i'm allergic to. i'd wait for 50% off personally. the roguelike elements are very lightweight though, there's no real permadeath or negative repercussions for dying.

Thanks, yeah I bought House of the Dying Sun on one of the past few sales, it seems pretty good so far, although I haven't put a ton of time into it. I keep getting distracted by other games. Everspace will remain on the Decent Sale list for me then.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Oct 21, 2017, 13:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 00:25:
Excellent game. Like a more combat focused
action FTL with craftable mods and weapons with resource gathering and enemy looting. Full hotas support and plays great with gamepads and mouse and keyboard also.

What joystick/gamepad/HoTaS setup do you use? A lot of the reviews indicate the joystick/HoTaS support is less than stellar. I've been thinking about buying this game for awhile now, but I probably don't need another rogue-like rage-inducer. Especially if my Wingman ends up being wonky.

News Comments > Steam Sale Dates Leaked?
18. Re: Steam Sale Dates Leaked? Oct 21, 2017, 13:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slightly related: I gave in and bought The Evil Within 2 on a minor sale off Gamersgate. The game is awesome.

If you liked The Evil Within at all, you'll most likely love the sequel. I highly recommend interested parties pick it up if the Steam sale price is decent.

If you hated the first one... you'll probably still hate the second one.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2017, 16:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Orogogus wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 13:18:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 13:11:
*EDIT* "Oh yeah the original guys can't use any names/races from the orgiginal, because of our license! Our bad, dawgs!"

Huh? The original guys are totally using the names and races from the original games (except the actual name "Star Control," I think).

Oh? My mistake then, I thought that last story about the Star Control games said the original team could NOT use the original races, for some licensing reason. Or is it the Stardock version not using the original races? See, I am confused.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2017, 13:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hopefully this ends up being a good game, but talk about some needlessly confusing licensing bullshit.

"We have the license, and are making a game true to the original, but the original guys are over here, making a sequel to the first sequel, because the third game was bad, yeah...but we're all friends so it's cool."

*EDIT* "Oh yeah the original guys can't use any names/races from the orgiginal, because of our license! Our bad, dawgs!"

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
19. Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 20, 2017, 13:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

So basically wait for the $9.99 sale, because this PC version is a distant second fiddle to the PS4 version, and has locked out content for 1 year or more, etc.

Thanks for the heads up, Bungie!

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 20, 2017, 13:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nullity wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 12:40:
The top 0.00003%

Half-life 3 confirmed!!

Dammit, you beat me to it.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Content Update & Free Weekend
2. Re: Dawn of War III Content Update & Free Weekend Oct 20, 2017, 12:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 08:43:
and the removal of the Skull currency system

Skull currency system? Let me guess, microtransactions?

Apparently it was purely in-game currency, but was probably annoying to grind anyway just to use certain units.

Downloading this now, I've been curious about this game, but most reviews seem fairly negative.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 20, 2017, 12:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

Already bought it, $50.39 (USD) on Gamersgate.

Hopefully it does well. Incidentally The Evil Within 2 is also on sale on Gamersgate, $50.39 again, bought that also. I should have time to load it up tonight, but the reviews are glowing, so far.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Oct 19, 2017, 12:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

It'll be interesting to see how well/poorly Wolfenstein II does in a week or so. AAA, linear story based shooter, no multiplayer(was there some tacked on in Wolfenstein 1?). Aside from the vocal minority of nazi wannabes who will refuse to buy it, it should sell pretty well.

Games costing more and more money to make to be considered "AAA," tons of competition, relatively high price of entry for their intended audience, multiple platforms to support(if you want ALL the money), online distributors taking their cut... yeah it's not exactly easy to make hundreds of millions on a single player game.

There's definitely some multiplayer peer-pressure as well, that most likely leads to increased sales for multiplayer games. "Wait, you guys are all playing PUBG? Okay I'll get it too!" Single player game recommendations from friends probably aren't as compelling to make people buy a game at full retail price.

Single player, high quality indie games will probably sustain the market until the big studios realize they can't all make successful battleground/MOBA/whatever flavor of the month games at the same time.

Or maybe the big studios will just continue to exploit the shit out of their IPs with microtransactions and jam multiplayer into everything until this hobby is dead.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
12. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 13:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Not really a surprise. I loved Dead Space 2, but I'm reasonably sure I got it like a month after release for under $15? 4 million sold, definitely not anywhere near full price for all of them. Plus, as he says, %30 for Steam's share... rough for triple A single player games.

Slightly offtopic: Bioware is no longer the old school Bioware obviously, but they'll probably make a metric shitload of money on Anthem, they aren't going anywhere.

3626 Comments. 182 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo