Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 4240 (Master)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2018, 20:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Good, it's just gambling aimed at children. It'll be interesting to see how much money the big game companies throw against this though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Plans
2. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Plans Feb 11, 2018, 15:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 14:27:
Ugh... 20 Hz...
It needs 64 minimum, better yet 128.
Wow... if a game has that low standards you know its never going to fix its real issues.

ROFL! Seriously, how the hell is a 20hz server their goal? Am I misunderstanding something completely about their networking code? That seems unplayable.

News Comments > David Gaider Leaves Beamdog
6. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 10, 2018, 13:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nucas wrote on Feb 10, 2018, 11:06:
i always thought it was kind of weird that gaider was at beamdog at all; he left bioware saying he was ready to do something new, then joined a company that does nothing but root through bioware's back catalog (which isn't to say i haven't enjoyed their releases).

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 19:46:
I wonder what will happen to whatever BG3-ish thing Beamdog was working on supposedly, if their creative director had to/wanted to quit.

were they working on such a thing? as i recall, the original plan for bg3 became throne of bhaal. then there was the "baldur's gate 3" in name only that black isle was working on before interplay went belly up.

Not literally BG3, or at least the versions you are talking about, in which you are correct. But a BG style game of their own making, which was supposedly going to use their updated BG engine, and be developed in house.

I swear I remember reading about it on their forums a year or two ago, but looking at their web page now, all they list is Enhanced NWN and Planescape Torment as upcoming/new projects. If so, maybe that's why Gaider quit, all Beamdog has planned for a few years is revamp projects instead of anything new.

Beamdog probably looked harder at the cost of making a full RPG from scratch, and decided to either keep generating from enhanced versions first, or skip doing new stuff entirely.

News Comments > New Fortnite User Record
8. Re: New Fortnite User Record Feb 9, 2018, 19:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Osc8r wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 15:41:

I'm in OCE on PC and the matches pop instantly at the times I play (not peak). The game is hugely popular as it's unusual for this to occur over here.

Is OCE the builing+PvE mode, multiplayer? I'm not exactly familiar with the game. I assume you aren't talking about Battle Royale mode?

Anyway, I may try this out at some point, some of my PC peeps were mildly interested in trying it, and we're looking for something multiplayer anyway.

News Comments > WARTILE Released
6. Re: WARTILE Released Feb 9, 2018, 19:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks pretty cool, although not being able to pause at all, your units automatically attacking nearby units, and limited camera mobility(according to steam reviews) will make me pass on it for now.  

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Mod Tools
1. Re: SpellForce 3 Mod Tools Feb 9, 2018, 19:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Good, but a little late, I think. Also the Spellforce 3 campaign was not only the buggiest shit I've experienced in a long time(although they did patch it up, admittedly) and the ending was terrible. But, still pretty fun along the way, actually.

News Comments > David Gaider Leaves Beamdog
1. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 9, 2018, 19:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well that's it then, all the Bioware guys from the good Bioware era are retired/dead/gone (aside from a few who went to Obsidian?).

I wonder what will happen to whatever BG3-ish thing Beamdog was working on supposedly, if their creative director had to/wanted to quit.

News Comments > Dig Dog Released
1. Re: Dig Dog Released Feb 9, 2018, 12:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

I think we've reached peak saturation on anything with "8-bit," "roguelike" and "throwback." We get it, it's financially beneficial to target nostalgia, but let's stop using that as an excuse for shit graphics and copied homage gameplay.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2018, 01:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 14:20:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 11:39:
Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster and Starman Leave Earth Forever in This Final Photo.

Crazy. When Elon said he wanted to send a Tesla to Mars, I thought he was being hyperbolic, or talking about something far in the future. I didn't realize it would be the Falcon heavy payload.

Just more space junk and a waste of a car. However, the "DON'T PANIC!" on the display is a nice touch by whoever thought to do that. Why not have used it as an opportunity to have sent some actual supplies on to Mars to help out for when people actually go there, water, food, a habitat, etc.

Well, they sent the car I think, because they knew they couldn't actually land that thing on Mars, or even get 'near.' As of now it's going to overshoot Mars by millions of miles, and end up going into the asteroid belt. So, nice advertising, GREAT shots over the dummy's shoulder or side of the car of the Earth, but really inaccurate.

*EDIT* Whoops not even to the Asteroid Belt, but about halfway there. Definitely not near Mars though.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2018, 01:52.

News Comments > Vampyr in June
2. Re: Vampyr in June Feb 9, 2018, 01:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nucas wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 23:48:
i can't be the only one hyped for this release, can i?

You aren't, I'm also pretty excited for the game, but these videos of developers talking ABOUT the game and barely showing it, and then a lot of scenes of actors doing mo-cap is not what I'm interested in. I do appreciate that they've put effort in but... zzz.

It's looking good though, and I'm hoping it ends up being a decent RPG, although I think the whole 'moral dilemma of feeding' is going to end up being easily avoidable in game, either via some non-human blood source, or plenty of seriously evil villains to chow down on.

I need to get around to playing their other games, Remember Me and Life is Strange, both of which I bought on sale at some point.

News Comments > Dawn of War 3 Sets
29. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 01:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Devinoch wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 19:43:
Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 11:08:
Theres a new Warhammer RTS game coming out, it goes back to the basic RTS game play style of base building and massive armies. That is what I want in an RTS game. none of this bullshit they keep coming up with and limited units pop cap crap.

We'll see if it sells enough to merit. RTS games have been a dying breed for a long time now for one major reason - they just don't sell like they used to. And this comes to you from someone who worked at Westwood Studios for a while.

This is a shame, but part of the blame has to lie with the developers. I've been doggedly buying the RTS attempts that have come out over the past few years(except for DoW 3, played it on a free weekend and it was terrible), including: Grey Goo, Planetary Annihilation(and the Titans expansion/revamp), Homeworld:Deserts of Kharak, Ashes of the Singularity(plus Escalation), and... they all feel like they are missing something.

I'm sure some of it is just RTS fatigue, but some of the older(even post War2 and C&C) RTS games just got some stuff right. All of the newer games seem to be just barely missing the formula to outright screwing it up somehow. Either the units are boring, or the controls are annoying, or the counter system is off, etc. etc. Goldilocks' syndrome.

I'm sure most other old school RTS fans have already given up, and younger, potential players don't even get exposed to true RTS, they're all busy playing MOBAs or some other crap. The genre is probably effectively dead at this point, no studio will put the time or money into making a great RTS, when they can just pump out shitty MOBA or PUBG clones or Freemium junk and rake in millions.

Now that I'm thinking about it, why hasn't Ironclad made a Sins of a Solar Empire 2 yet? Oh yeah, they made a shitty MOBA instead that no one played(Sins of a Dark Age), and has already been shut down.

Hrm, now I'm depressed about the utter lack of any good RTS on the horizon.

News Comments > New Fortnite User Record
1. Re: New Fortnite User Record Feb 9, 2018, 00:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

what the hell, 3.4 million people are playing this game? I wonder what the breakdown is between platforms, doesn't seem like any PC people I know are playing this, most haven't even heard of it.

Admittedly that's an extremely small sample, and anecdotal evidence, but still.

Also, a breakdown of free version Battle Royale, vs the paid PvE(??) version would have been informative. Is there a worthwhile single player game in there somewhere, or is just basically the BR version now?

News Comments > Obsidian TMs The Outer Worlds
11. Re: Obsidian TMs The Outer Worlds Feb 7, 2018, 11:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 11:15:

Personally I like the reduction to 5 characters. Aside from being easier to handle it also forces you to choose more wisely. Six characters is way too n00b friendly. Any full retard n00blet moron can build a very well balanced party when you have six slots.

The less party members, the more important your choices. And an odd number like 5 is great, too, because you can't just n00b it up with 2 tanks, 2 dps, 2 healers but you will have to choose. Choice is good. Me gusta mucho. Well done for once, Obshittian!

Well, your arguments for 5 being better were said ad nauseam on the forums, of course, but it really comes down to how exactly Obsidian ends up designing the combat encounters. To be fair, PoEt allows multi-classing, so your 5 can cover a lot of bases, I just feel as though 6 would have been the better choice with the sheer number of class combos that will be available in the game, and with Obsidian's tendency to simplify combat in Tyranny. Hopefully the game doesn't end up too simplified in combat.

I'm still looking forward to PoEt2 with great anticipation, and I'll hopefully be playing it relatively bug free on release day.

9. Re: Obsidian TMs The Outer Worlds Feb 6, 2018, 22:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 18:45:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 14:02:
Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 13:08:
Never cared for 6 people parties, 4 should be max IMO.

Sacrilege! You should try Tyranny then, if you haven't already. That was arguably Obsidian's most polished game ever, on release day, and it features 4 person parties with some interesting mechanics. Overall battle complexity was lower than with their other games though. Good story, good lore, decent voice acting, it's a solid game all around, my only complaints were small parties(and thus weaker combat) and the blocking of some story areas based on game choices.

The blocking was intended to make people play multiple times, but I've yet to be back to Tyranny.

I see PoE 2 lost a player character along the way.

Yeah, although to be honest I feel lucky they went back UP from 4, from Tyranny. Tyranny's combat really got hamstrung by the 4 person party, PoEt2, while a downgrade from PoEt1, I think I'll be able to tolerate it.

The problem was, Obsidian got a LOT of complaints on their forums from people who found the 6 person PoEt party too hard to control.

Stick to ARPGs, isometric RPG nubs.

I've already spent like a year pleading on their forums for a 6 person party in Pillars 2, but they seem to be fully dedicated to the 5 man group. Hopefully modding can alter it later on.

News Comments > EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters
17. Re: EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters Feb 6, 2018, 22:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 20:07:
I wonder if you could control cheating by having a game start a runtime virtual machine and having the game start up within it. Then it would be isolated from any apps trying to manipulate client side data.

There are alot of things you can try, but at the end of the day, if the client for the game runs on a remote machine(the user's) and you as the Server only have limited control, people will find a way to manipulate the game and cheat.

The only real way to control cheaters is with live Admins on servers, which DICE/EA seem to have really veered away from, for whatever reason. It just makes it that much easier for cheaters to cheat.

7. Re: Obsidian TMs The Outer Worlds Feb 6, 2018, 14:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 13:08:
Never cared for 6 people parties, 4 should be max IMO.

Sacrilege! You should try Tyranny then, if you haven't already. That was arguably Obsidian's most polished game ever, on release day, and it features 4 person parties with some interesting mechanics. Overall battle complexity was lower than with their other games though. Good story, good lore, decent voice acting, it's a solid game all around, my only complaints were small parties(and thus weaker combat) and the blocking of some story areas based on game choices.

The blocking was intended to make people play multiple times, but I've yet to be back to Tyranny.

4. Re: Obsidian TMs The Outer Worlds Feb 6, 2018, 12:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whatever setting, I want the isometric, party based, 6+ person party style I have come to know and love, from oldschool Bioware and Obsidian.

Hopefully they do NOT do any sort of TPS or FPS RPG mishmash.

I'll go check out E.J. Gilmore's novel at some point. Sounds like typical YA fantasy though, from that blurb. Somehow I doubt Obsidian would use an existing IP, they seem a lot more keen on making their own, and owning everything.

News Comments > EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters
7. Re: EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters Feb 6, 2018, 12:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

While there are a ton of cheaters in BF1, probably more than any Battlefield game I've played (or they are just more blatant), there are also a ton of cheating accusations being thrown around, it feels like. I get called a cheater like once a day at least, if I play a few good rounds, and some of those accusers claim they have reported me.

I've never been banned or had any communication with EA/DICE or Fairfight, and I don't even know if my data gets reviewed at all, but I'd hate for false positive bans to occur. It does make me wonder though, how much data gets collected for them to be able to avoid erroneously banning people. I don't just mean player position/aiming percentage, etc. but stuff like programs resident in memory on the PC, more invasive things along those lines.

*EDIT* Oops, grammar.

News Comments > Dying Light to Celebrate Anniversary with Free Content
6. Re: Dying of Boredom Feb 6, 2018, 08:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dying Light is a game that requires mods to not be annoying as hell (mainly weapon/vehicle degradation prevention mods, inventory size mods), but they broke the mods with the last few patches, so...

Uninstalled for good.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2018, 21:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 5, 2018, 19:42:
Anyway, I hate Altered Carbon. One of my favorite books and they butchered it. Kovacs isn't even the same badass character.

This, basically, although I wouldn't say I hate their adaptation, they changed a LOT of the main points of the novels, for worse.

I'm sure they had a good reason during development, but I don't even feel like finishing the tv series at this point, knowing how badly they've altered things already.

4240 Comments. 212 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo