Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 4240 (Master)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 8, 2018, 23:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

mellis wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 18:55:
Grossly overrated series, especially the ending which was terrible (5 minutes of 'Meadow' trying to parallel park?!?). The Shield on the other-hand was a master class, with the penultimate episode and the finale still being one of the most memorable - and brutal - endings I've ever come across.

Well, I wouldn't say grossly overrated, but yeah, a little too much praise gets heaped on The Sopranos.

Also, The Shield is a GREAT show, that a lot of people don't seem to know about. I'm sure it's on some streaming service these days, look it up, people, if you like corrupt cop shows.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
29. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 22:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I'm interested to see what they actually end up doing with The Division 2, after putting about 80 hours into the current version of the original, and enjoying it well enough to justify the sale price. Coop TD is definitely fun, but I can already see it turning stale in the very near future; we're about capped out for gear, without grinding for hundreds of hours to get perfect rolls and every Exotic item, we're not going to improve our setups that much.

We've also run into some either highly suspect people in the Dark Zone, who are either running some damage mod or just have 2,000 hours worth of perfect gear, and ended up getting melted in about .005 seconds. Had some good battles too, vs similarly geared and/or legit players.

The City looks awesome, but I can only hope they find some reason to do another city somewhere, perhaps even stretching the sorta weak story enough to have it outside of the US.

I'd definitely be down with a bit less attempted realism, more crazy enemies, more weapon styles, more weapons carried at once, for that matter.

My coop group will probably get the Division 2 when it goes on a decent sale in about 4-5 years.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 8, 2018, 11:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Unfortunately, this is one of the worst 40k games out there. I got burned buying this on sale awhile back, and it's doubtful it's even worth the $9.99 they want now. Opinions will differ of course, but the gameplay isn't fun, it's buggy, your 'armada' is usually only 3 ships, etc. etc.

Some nice graphics, but the game just didn't come together correctly.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2018, 21:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Matt Furie is the man, it must be a huge pain in the ass to constantly be starting legal wranglings against all these scumbags stealing his work, but he refuses to give up. Much respect.

This one in particular seems like a pretty clear cut violation of fair use, but I am not a lawyer.

News Comments > Super Seducer - How to Talk to Girls
7. Re: Super Seducer - How to Talk to Girls Mar 6, 2018, 22:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ah, Steam. I remember when you used to atleast pretend to attempt to keep shit 'games' off your service.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Simpsons - Embiggen Mar 6, 2018, 11:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Embiggen? I don't see why it wouldn't be in the dictionary, it's a perfectly cromulent word.

What the hell, cromulent is in dictionary.com also, from the Simpsons.

News Comments > Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed
5. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 5, 2018, 21:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, Grim Dawn(+Expansion 1 +DLC) must have sold reasonably well, good for Crate!

Having looked at the most recent build of PoE, Grim Dawn is definitely behind in terms of animations/effects these days, and the skill system is somewhat archaic, and really good loot won't start dropping until you hit level 50, all of which can add up to making you guys not like the game much.

Monster density goes WAY up in later zones/Ashes of Malmouth, but the earliest zones are a bit more sparse.

You need one high damage single target skill, and one decent AoE skill at the very least, along with auras/passives and some decent resistances. With the above, you can get through all of normal and elite with pretty much any build. Of course less focused builds work too, through all of elite, and hopefully by the time you get to Ultimate you understand your build/items/game mechanics enough to handle the jump in hp/damage on Ultimate enemies, and encounters with Nemesis-type creatures.

Boots with +run speed, enhanced with Mark of the Traveler are good to have, and +Skill items of course.

That said, this game isn't for everyone, even among ARPGs. PoE is in a pretty great spot, if you can tolerate their looting model, and of course Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, and a horde of lesser known clones out there.

One PoE concept Grim Dawn should definitely steal, is the ONE difficulty concept, with a rebalanced leveling system to accomodate that. I don't think it's feasible yet though; that would take a pretty serious redesign. But how can you sell Grim Dawn to people when they learn that, at bare minimum, a character has to go through the entire campaign 3 times, not counting trips to the Crucible, to be 'done' ?

All that said, I will most definitely get this expansion, I have like 12 characters at various levels, that will all need new loot.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 4, 2018, 15:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hyperloop!? We're still busy building all these monorails!

News Comments > Phoenix Point Pre-Alpha Next Month
6. Re: Phoenix Point Pre-Alpha Next Month Mar 3, 2018, 17:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

It looks like the game is coming along nicely. I'm pretty sure I contributed to the Kickstarter/Fig or whatever it was, nice to see that the money (probably) wasn't wasted.

News Comments > The Division Celebrates 20M Players
2. Re: The Division Celebrates 20M Players Mar 1, 2018, 22:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

I got this on sale awhile back, having some fun with it with an old school coop buddy, we've been progressing pretty steadily the past two weeks or so. I'm not sold on this Global Event thing yet, the ratio of dropped currency to Cache prices seems out of whack, but there are enough other gear sources, I guess it's okay.

It seems a little odd that the BEST gear only drops during the Global Event (additional abilities, etc.) and then you have to wait months for another one, that seems destined to only reward the diehards who play nonstop for 3 days, as opposed to everybody else who can only get a few hours in, and basically gets almost nothing.

Darkzone is fun, but there's not really any risk it seems, at least nowadays, most people are busy PKing each other in a corner of the vast map, and I end up extracting stuff pretty much at will, either solo or coop. My gear score (270ish) is artificially inflated by a mishmash of Set Pieces, so I'd get smoked by somebody who has perfectly rolled full Sets with perfect weapons, so I mostly run away at this point anyway. If I do die, enjoy my crap DZ cache and sweater.

Definitely a fun PvE experience, but a little too gear heavy for PvP for borderline casuals. I'm a little depressed that they are never going to cure that plague, if the game stays popular.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 27, 2018, 13:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

That's not really that surprising, the game is in direct competition for players with PLUNKBAT (formerly known as PUBG).

[credit to Kotaku for the term PLUNKBAT]

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 25, 2018, 14:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

So...the infection is spreading.

News Comments > Insurgency: Sandstorm Trailer
1. Re: Insurgency: Sandstorm Trailer Feb 24, 2018, 14:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sandstorm.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 13 Underway
1. Re: Diablo III Season 13 Underway Feb 24, 2018, 14:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh. Just stop. Start making Diablo 4, or better yet, Warcraft 4.

The bots will keep playing D3 no matter what you do, Blizzard.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 22, 2018, 22:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 07:39:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 02:23:
Metalhead episode was good but all you need to defeat it is a paint gun and make sure you break all USB ports as you go.
The dog was part of a much larger network of Metalheads. In the last scene when the compound was surrounded by them, I don't think all the paint in the world would have saved her. {wink}

Also, it's Britain(probably?), not nearly enough guns over there to put a dent in the murderous robot dog population. In the US, the survivors would be tripping over piles of armor piercing military grade hardware every 10 feet.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 22, 2018, 22:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

So, we're truly living in the darkest timeline.

The proof continues to mount. At this rate, if we end up with an Idiocracy type scenario, it'll be one of the better possible outcomes.

News Comments > EA Showing New Battlefield in June
5. Re: EA Showing New Battlefield in June Feb 22, 2018, 22:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

Why aren't they making Battlefield 2143 already? That's the one that'll really be amazing, with their current/next gen frostbyte/whatever engine.

We seriously don't need another WW2 or Vietnam game.

Side note: I haven't played BF1 in at least 3 weeks now, even though they did just release the last DLC, bleh, burned out.

News Comments > RUINER Content Update
3. Re: RUINER Content Update Feb 22, 2018, 16:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 14:11:
Yeah, I tried one particular section in the second level (after you've been in the city, and go into the parking garage) for like 20 minutes straight, and just gave up. Just 20 minutes of the same 10-20 seconds over and over and over again.

Refunded it. Shame, it looked cool, and it absolutely OOZED style, but I just can't abide checkpoint games where it makes me replay the same fucking battle 2000 times in a row because I can't get past it.

Well, like I said, while not an easy game, it's definitely in an easier spot now after some rebalancing than on release day. It's definitely in the quick twitch category, with dodging and attacking while constantly moving required. I can't be certain, but it certainly felt like they extended the slow-down moments in the game, but of course you can't play the whole game in slow-motion. The game is also definitely harder earlier when you don't have as many skill points to use to set up a build.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Roadmap Rerouted
4. Re: Destiny 2 Roadmap Rerouted Feb 22, 2018, 16:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

opie wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 14:18:
So glad I didn't buy this. something about games like this, Starwars: The Old Republic, and The Division. They are so pretty, and fun for 5 mins. Then I go all ADD (which I don't have) and cannot get back into them. I have actually installed and started The Division, and as soon as it loads said "ugh, I don't actually want to play this". Can't explain it.

All of these games are gorgeous and repetitive, grinds for incremental increases in power, to do the same thing again with bigger numbers. I got Destiny 2 bundled with a video card, and I've played it three times maybe, can't really bring myself to go back to it. On the other hand, for whatever reason, I've found I like The Division (v1.8+) quite a bit, after I bought it on sale about a week ago, I've already put like 50 hours into it, and only really stop playing to do lame stuff like go to work or let me coop group catch up.

If you just don't like how some of the aspects the game mesh, it's logical and sane to just NOT play that, nothing else to explain there. There are tons of other games to spend your time on these days, most of which have plenty of better aspects to them than Destiny 2 and The Division. Also I think both games are far better with a dedicated coop group, solo I can see dragging quite a bit.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 22, 2018, 16:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

ItBurn wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 15:56:
There's just never been another FPS ARPG with this level of complexity and I doubt it'll ever happen again.

...The Division.

Mostly joking, I only played Hellgate:London briefly during a beta or alpha period, although one of my coop buddies did get suckered into buying the lifetime Hellgate pass, or whatever it's called. He's playing The Division with me these days, I should probably get his opinion on the two games, if he can remember enough about Hellgate.

That said, I'm sure Blizzard will do an HD conversion of Diablo 2 eventually, just to make a quick 500 million for themselves.

4240 Comments. 212 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo