Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3624 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Operation Campaigns and Free Map Coming
1. Re: Battlefield 1 Operation Campaigns and Free Map Coming Nov 1, 2017, 10:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

It feels like this game has lost a ton of its playerbase... I went back to go play a few nights ago, after about 2 months away, no full servers, only half full Hardcore Conquest servers, mostly empty servers in the playlist. I guess there is too much else to play right now?

It might be time to free up 60+ gigs of SSD space.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2017, 08:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 13:14:

LOL guilty as fuck. Believe it or not, I actually intend to play the vast majority of the massive games library that I own. I just need to figure out how to live to be about 800...

I'm in the same boat, between Steam, GoG, Humble, Origin, etc.

The method is easy:

1) Win the lottery.
2) Quit your job.
3) Play games all day when you aren't on your yacht with hookers and blow.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 22:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 20:38:
Women rescued by Navy defend their account of ordeal at sea Reads like a tRump tweet.
#sailing #feminism

Well, that whole story is sad. People panic under stress, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but mistake after mistake. They even got rescued BEFORE the coast guard by a fishing vessel?! They had an EPIRB and never turned it on?! Whatever, now they're safe, and they should probably get a bill from the Navy, but it'd probably be too much negative press to be worth it.

I get the sense they aren't exactly experienced sailors either, but who knows. Three news stories about this is probably at least 2 too many already.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus GeForce Hotfix
5. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus GeForce Hotfix Oct 29, 2017, 21:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Interesting, I'll try these drivers out eventually, I guess. So far after about 10 hours of play, I've noticed one graphical glitch, inside the main base, one one wall that NPCs painted over. Instead of displaying the paint correctly, the bend in the wall has a broken-mesh black bar. Of course a lot of the maps are pretty dark, and I'm usually running around shooting, so maybe there have been other graphical errors.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
45. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 29, 2017, 21:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Let's leave the V22 Osprey out of this, that's an amazing aircraft that had to overcome some serious fatal accidents during its development and testing. I hold eye contact, and give a slow nod to any V22 Ospreys I pass. Respect.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 29, 2017, 15:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 15:10:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 14:56:
too bad The Evil Within 2 hasn't sold so well.

Not very surprising though since it's apparently a slightly less mediocre sequel to a very mediocre and forgettable game. I'm amazed they made a sequel at all.
Then to release it during this fall season that is filled to the brim with high profile stuff is utterly retarded. It's like they wanted it to fail at all costs.

Clearly you are not a fan of the game, but both the original and the sequel are really good, if you're into weird Japanese story 3rd person shooters.

I do agree the timing of the release could have been a lot better, some real heavy hitters got released at basically the same time.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 29, 2017, 14:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

It's nice to see Wolfenstein II on the list, too bad The Evil Within 2 hasn't sold so well.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 29, 2017, 14:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

"Secretly?"

Facebook's metadata collection is second to none. If a webpage has a Facebook.net or .com script installed, your URL habits are being recorded, whether you have a Facebook account or not. Even Bluesnews has Facebook scripts running in the background.

From a technological standpoint, their data harvesting is really impressive, unfortunately it's being used against all of us.

So no, they aren't actively recording "you" per se, but cross checked against other data which they have access to, they or any other big data agency can easily have quite a bit of information on you. Assuming you don't have a Facebook account that you constantly post all the details of your life and the lives of all your friends and family to, that is.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
32. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown Oct 28, 2017, 20:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

BobBob wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 19:35:
In the trailer, the animations look forced and unnatural. Does they seem that way while playing the game too?

Most of the combat animations are excellent, enemies and your own character's animations. Most of the cutscenes, the body animations are pretty good, the one obvious drawback is the eyeballs are a little off, or rather, the eyelids are a little off, in terms of not very human motion. I get the feeling the animation for the faces was done by hand, not motion cap via an actor's face, for the most part, or maybe even via some sort of automated process.

Not a lot of blinking in alternate reality 1960's America.

Honestly though the excellent voicework makes up for it, none of these companies have infinite funds, and I think Machinehead spent their cut scene money on very well done models and backgrounds, and professional VA talent, not so much on state of the art facial animation or face-motion capture.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 28, 2017, 14:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Okay, I'm about 8 hours into the game or so, and so far the game is extremely good. Shooting is tight, weapons are for the most part balanced and fun to use(the main assault rifle with Armor Piercing mod is comfortably the best all around weapon if you can headshot reliably), voice acting is excellent for the most part, character and environmental design is amazing, and whoever they got to do their engineering models...GG.

The story is extremely entertaining, bouncing back and forth between horror elements, some surprisingly good comedy, a little too melodramatic humanity moments, and of course ridiculous action and deliberately over the top sci-fi/fantasy scenes.

One crash to desktop so far, but none since. Not sure what it was either, may have been updated out at some point? In general the game seems to run extremely well, i7-6770, 32GB Ram, M2 format SSD, Win 8.1, 144hz 2560x1440 monitor, ultra settings, no motion blur.

One question though, for people who have the game, and are reasonably far along into it:

If BJ, or any human, for that matter, is on a runaway vehicle of some kind, about to crash, would he say:

A. "AAAAHHH!!"
B. "Oh Fuck!"
C. "Oh God NOOO!!"
D. "Cock......Cock." (Voiced in utter deadpan)

Some of the dialogue is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Perk system seems better this time around than the first game, it isn't quite as ridiculous in terms of the number or style of kills required to unlock some upgrades.

Another thing: Depending on your eyesight, maybe DON'T set the brightness as low as the game suggests, there have been a couple areas where I really couldn't see anything at all of the enemies until they started shooting or I bumped into them in the dark; gray and black models with almost no footstep or ambient sounds, and effectively pitch black areas of the map. Admittedly, it looks cool, but you can basically get instakilled on higher difficulty, or waste enough hp/armor that you might as well reload anyway.

Definitely worth playing, although I can see the argument for waiting to buy on sale when all the DLC is out, and also on sale. I bought earlier than normal largely because of all the death of single player games talk lately. Plus, I wanted to play.

19. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown Oct 27, 2017, 19:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Frijoles wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 14:00:

Unfortunately, I played for about 20 - 30 minutes last night and thought I was going to barf. Seems to be a few others with the problem. Which is odd since I can play Destiny 2 for 2+ hours at a stretch with no problem. Not sure what this game is doing differently, but damn. It fucked me up for an hour. Hoping to get through the first part today since the movement is jerky for spoiler-free reasons.

Hrm, that's terrible. Part of it is probably the plot device, but it might also be the Motion Blur on top of that? I turned off Motion Blur, because that usually gives me a bit of a headache in games anyway. I'd say mess with VSync also, but if you're getting crashes from resolution changes, nevermind.

The major movement plot jerkiness goes away fairly quickly, but keep in mind, movement in this game has a slight simulated footstep thing going on, it's not smooth panning hovering camera style motion. I haven't seen an option to turn that off anywhere, but there's probably a console setting.

I got through the first couple areas, then crashed to desktop in the base, during a 'down' period. Had to do some running around, going to fire the game up again now though. So far the shooting feels great, melee kills are horrific; overall design seems amazingly good. Although it feels like enemies should make more footstep noise? Even guys in 200 pounds of armor seem to be sneaking around like ninjas.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 12:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Saudi Arabia, citizenship to humanoid robots(with no actual AI) but still uses basically slave labor in the form of foreign workers who have almost no rights, and somehow manage to get themselves beheaded on a regular basis through Saudi Arabian courts. But hey, oil money.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 27, 2017, 12:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

He hasn't changed much... yet.

Soon it'll be all hookers and blow, and gold plated Bentleys.

Some of my gaming crew have gotten into PUBG, I may have to break down and buy it at some point.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2017, 12:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

sauron wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 11:23:
That rescue at sea story is amazing. It's a miracle they made it.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good external hard drive with RAID? I kind of need a backup solution here at Barad-Dur. Thanks!

External HD with RAID? I thought, surely that's just a storage comp on the network? But apparently there are a ton of HD enclosures with at least USB 3 or 3.1 as stand alone devices out there

No personal experience though, but plenty of Amazon reviews to peruse.

Re: women lost at sea... wtf, they were on a sailboat. Don't sail out into the pacific if you aren't experienced with navigation and sailing, and apparently no sat-phone. They got extremely lucky to be finally rescued. Satellite phones rarely have 100% coverage, but it's better than relying on emergency radio frequencies that no longer have organized monitoring by any country or company, and have extremely limited range anyway. If you only have a radio, you're relying on random ships/planes passing by who are ALSO randomly listening to the correct frequency.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2017, 22:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

People think the earth is flat, people think vaccines cause autism, people think the moon landing was faked, people think 9/11 was an inside job, people think Obama is a Kenyan Muslim who somehow became a US president, people think God(whatever your flavor) is real, etc.

Humanity in general probably has a genetic tendency to ignore logic in favor of interesting or appealing ideas. That was probably important at some stage of evolution... "Sure I can kill this Mega-Bear with my stick with a rock tied to it!" And then the rest of the tribe lives.

It's one of the bigger hurdles humanity will have to overcome at some point, that tendency to put faith/factless belief before evidence and reason. I don't think we'll ever overcome it, honestly.

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale Begins
3. Re: Steam Halloween Sale Begins Oct 26, 2017, 22:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, nothing on a really good sale yet, from my Wishlist.

I miss the flash sales...you can already write off a given Steam sale the first hour, basically, and/or get a few things you wanted and be done.

News Comments > GOG.com Halloween Sale
1. Re: GOG.com Halloween Sale Oct 26, 2017, 12:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

GoG Connect is great, big data issues aside, I am slowly getting more and more of my Steam library added to GoG for nothing.

Nothing on my GoG wishlist is on sale for a decent price though.

News Comments > Newegg in Hot Water
15. Re: Newegg Accused of Ponzi Scheme Oct 24, 2017, 12:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well shit. I didn't know Newegg got bought out... I built a new comp about a year ago now, and only purchased a few things through Newegg, their prices were mostly higher than Amazon etc.

I used to buy from them all the time, most or all of the parts for pc builds. I guess it's time to move on

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2017, 12:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

I've read about this smoldering town several times now, and probably the biggest takeaway (for me, at least) is that some people will literally kill themselves just to avoid being told what to do by the gub'mint.

"Toxic gas, sinkholes, fires, no utilities or basic services? You'll pay for double the value of my house? Fuck off, I'll stay here and die before I move!" -The 7 people currently still alive there.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer Oct 24, 2017, 12:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks like another entry for the $9.99 and under sale list.

Climb more towers in gorgeous 4k!

3624 Comments. 182 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo