Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3547 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
30. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 11, 2017, 05:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kxmode wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 01:22:

It's not just me.

"Your regular civil rights donít apply when youíre on an airplane," said Paul Hudson of FlyersRights.org, the largest nonprofit airline consumer protection organization. "What you should do if you have a problem with a flight crew is to document it and file a complaint later. You have rights, but you have to exercise them once youíre off the flight."

You're confusing civil rights with consumer rights. It's apples and oranges. They're not the same. A passenger on a private-run airline does not have a civil right to that seat. The only thing civil rights afford is the ability to fly on a plane without discrimination. For example, the airline refusing to sell you a ticket because of your race or religion.

That's certainly interesting, but it'll be up to a court to determine what violations went on for this man's legal rights. Even in your quote, Hudson doesn't deny that people STILL have civil rights, he's basically just recommending you leave when they ask, to make your life easier. I'd also argue that Paul Hudson is more on the side of the airlines than the flying passenger these days, but that can be debated.

Life will certainly be easier in the short term, if you just get up when some airline tells you to, but surprisingly, that's not the same as having no civil rights.

By the way, are you paying a mortgage? During that business transaction, you can no longer vote, have due process, or be protected due to race or creed. For the next 30 years. Do you see how ludicrous that would be?

What you are confusing with civil rights, is the ability for owners of private property to have you removed from their property. Once the police illegally assaulted him, they, surprisingly, also violated his civil rights. Being a private business does not enable physical assault, by the employees or the police in this instance. The private property aspect may get challenged here as well, but that'll be up to the courts, to decide if the plane is considered a public venue.

Hopefully no one with your mindset is on the jury for either of the upcoming trials.

*EDIT* restructured.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 00:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:36:

People forget that there are no civil rights when you're dealing with a business transaction, just like there are no civil rights when you order a Big Mac from McDonald's.

The fact that you think you have no civil rights in any of these situations is somewhat horrifying. Sure, a business can ask you to leave, but you had better believe, for THIS particular situation, both the airline and the police can and hopefully will be sued, for a variety of charges, including violations of this doctor's civil rights.

At no point are anyone's civil rights suspended because they are involved in a business transaction. How on earth did you ever get to that point mentally?

The fact that United was bumping passengers to move their own employees will also definitely figure into any upcoming court cases.

11. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 10, 2017, 22:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am amazed they tried to bump him (and his wife) when they were already seated. If somebody else shows up late, they should be forced to fly later.

Then, I read this, apparently they were also bumping people to let some United pilots(not flight crew of that plane) fly to another hub, 'deadheading.'

This whole situation is ridiculous, but the fault clearly resides with the airline and the police. Hopefully this man sues them for about $500 million dollars each.

Kxmode, if you are not being sarcastic; no, you still have civil rights on board an airplane. The rule of law is not suspended because it's a 'private business.' Assault is still assault.

If the United employees were smart(and potentially less racist? We'll see how that plays out in court, selecting one of the only asians on the flight), they would have picked somebody else and/or offered more money to bump. No need to assault a 69 year old doctor.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 9, 2017, 17:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kobalt wrote on Apr 9, 2017, 17:37:
Like the moba genre pre dota 2, it's becoming increasing ridiculous that no major studio has made a battleground game(the division dlc doesn't count). EA already has the tech, increase the map size and player count in battlefield(maybe tone down the physics to compensate) and they would be good to go.

What do you mean, like a 100+ player DM(single elimination or otherwise) style game in a Battlefield engine variant?

I know PUsB (tm) is popular at the moment, but is this really a new genre? There's that and H1Z1:KotK right? Technically both by the same guy?

I've watched some videos of PU BATTLEGROUNDS, and the formula seems more than a bit rough around the edges... spawn, loot guns, walk around a LOT, brief period of fighting, death/victory, repeat ad nauseam. My opinion, of course; clearly it's crazily popular.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 8, 2017, 17:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Good, fuck Uber. Nobody likes taxis, but Uber is a thousand times worse for a bit more convenience. The sooner that business, and that business model die, the better.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Monthly Updates Planned; New Expansion Details
7. Re: Battlefield 1 Monthly Updates Planned; New Expansion Details Apr 8, 2017, 15:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

"what you want"

Hopefully that translates to less grenade spam.

Aside from that, I'm still having fun with BF1, in Large Conquest mode. (64 player)

It seems like utter blowouts are less common these days, going by my own experiences/anecdotal evidence only. The guns are mostly balanced, vehicles mostly the same.

Notable exceptions: The fighters, particularly the Trench Dart version, are probably a bit too good against infantry, while still being very fast and maneuverable and good against other planes. I'd settle for them taking more damage from infantry guns at this point, and a very public notice that infantry guns do MORE damage against them, so people don't try to just run when they see one coming.

But yes, gas grenade/incendiary grenade spam was bad before, it seems a lot more annoying with slow grenade regen.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's CYBERPUNK TM
8. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Apr 7, 2017, 13:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

This thread got angry in a hurry.

I may actually finish the Witcher 3 by the time their Cyberpunk(tm) game goes on sale.

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Adds Replays, Mod Support, New Maps
1. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Adds Replays, Mod Support, New Maps Apr 7, 2017, 00:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

Okay okay, I'll finally get around to installing this Steam/Stardock, damn!

Note: If you owned AotS before, you should have gotten Escalation for free by now.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Multiplayer Trailers
2. Re: Dawn of War III Multiplayer Trailers Apr 6, 2017, 23:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks really interesting. I wish they weren't doing semi-MOBA shit, but I think they are afraid they will make 5 bucks total with a straight RTS game.

Also, I continue to be amazed at how many people loved Last Stand.

It's cool that it was so popular, but that's so not what DoW1 was, and I wasn't a fan of DoW2 at all, although I did force my way through it recently, for completionist's sake.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 6, 2017, 02:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 00:17:
I want a Vive, but even $100 off is still way too much money for VR.

Arguably there is no point to buying any VR headset right now. There aren't any great VR games, the movement control is usually terrible(most games do teleporting not walking/running), and the headsets are pretty uncomfortable, with honestly not enough cable length. (in my opinion)

I've used the Vive at a friend's house, was somewhat impressed, but not $700-$800 impressed.

Maybe for version 2 or 3, years down the line.

News Comments > NieR Ships 1M Copies
1. Re: NieR Ships 1M Copies Apr 5, 2017, 12:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Neither NieR, nor far.

News Comments > Quake Champions Trailer
7. Re: Quake Champions Trailer Apr 5, 2017, 07:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

That doesn't look half bad, although the hp/armor/damage numbers seem off, compared to older Quake games. But hey, maybe they have a better balance plan?

This should make for some good youtube videos at least.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Visual Update
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 4, 2017, 21:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

LiTh wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 18:16:
Pretty awesome, although I really wish Ironclad would make a sequel.

Agreed, although I will definitely be reinstalling this to use this new version quite a bit. Every couple of months or so, I get in a SoaSE mood, and play some large system maps vs a full group of AIs. The OCD urges to build dozens of systems/starbases up, along with a massive fleet, gets sated.

Although I have to wonder why they are doing this for free... I mean they probably wouldn't sell much if they charged for it, but their MOBA tanked and has been removed from Steam entirely, and I'm not even sure if they are working on anything new right now. Surely they need some new revenue? Ironclad that is, not Stardock.

tldr; get working on SoaSE 2, Ironclad. 100% gauranteed buy for me, unless you turn it into a MOBA.

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
2. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 4, 2017, 09:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 09:39:
Who are the suckers that buy this trash, card traders? WTF is a card trader?

Get off my Lawn!

Yeah, the meta-game of Steam is getting out of hand. People selling skins for games like CS:GO, hats and shit for TF2, cards in general, for real money, sometimes absurd sums of real money.

It's a shame, and literally makes me feel old. I buy games on Steam to play them, not to try to grind virtual items for a shitty second job.

I've only seen a few videos of TotalBiscuit, and I don't think any of Jimquisition, I guess they are way bigger than I thought if Valve actually invited them in and publicized it. [Old]

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 4, 2017, 07:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 21:45:
Steam sent out 40% off coupons for Playdead's Inside, if you own their previous title Limbo already. Excellent game and well worth the price even without the 40% off, IMO

Really? I heard that game was extremely short. Very good, but short, like under 4 hours. I was still debating getting it, but it looked like not much replay value... *coin flip*

2. Re: Into the Black Apr 3, 2017, 20:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, this forced me to add "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" to my Netflix queue, and now I must rewatch Mad Max:Fury Road as well.

Curse you, internet.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2017, 15:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 14:02:
Glad to see PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS rockin out still....

Well, I am glad people are enjoying the game, but something about that title irks the hell out of me. Grammar, capitalization, whatever, the OCD kicks in a bit.

3. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2017, 20:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Being cruel to animals is terrible, but that looks like Brazil, and those are most likely a pack of wild dogs. Better they get euthanized before they maim or kill someone. Russia, suprisingly, has a similar problem with packs of wild dogs running the streets.

Literally, that's not some sort of political commentary, there are packs of wild dogs in Moscow, as of last year at least.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Weekend
15. Re: Titanfall 2 Free Weekend Mar 31, 2017, 20:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

The campaign was pretty good, but yes it is extremely short. This is not a game you should buy for the single player.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 DLC Sharing
11. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC Sharing Mar 31, 2017, 13:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

Armengar wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 12:48:
If 25 years old is a veteran. WTF is a 55 year old....

25 years of playing, I didn't start at age zero.

I think Wolfenstein 3d came out around when I was 13-14? So as I'm pushing 40, 25 years of playing FPS games at least, probably really 27.

If you are 55 years old playing multiplayer FPS games, good for you, you old fart!

3547 Comments. 178 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo