Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3891 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
1. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 29, 2017, 20:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

"80 person team, by an experienced developer, who has made multiple EXCELLENT third person shooter style horror games, linear and non-linear, with an amazingly popular license? Immediately cancel if we can't do years' worth of microtransactions!"

-EA drone.

Okay, maybe Dead Space 3 wasn't excellent, but it was non-linear.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Orc Trailer
3. Re: SpellForce 3 Orc Trailer Nov 29, 2017, 17:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Alamar wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 16:00:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 14:22:
Looks good, still tempted to pre-order before the 7th, although pre-ordering in this day and age just supports bad developer behavior.

I'm almost at the point of grabbing it... Though I'm 90% sure I wouldn't beat it, because the previous ones I played were very very long campaigns. But if I get to the 6th, and have too much free time, and am feeling super bored, I'll probably get it heh.

And this is knowing full well that there will be a number of launch bugs... And that might be enough to turn me off for a month... I really should just try to play through SPAZ 2 or something, as I just noticed yesterday it finally left EA.

Interesting that you mention Spaz 2, I've been playing it just this past week, as I also saw it was out of Early Access awhile back. It's pretty good actually, but I think I messed up my campaign, I started my set of bases WAY too close to a certain enemy group. The game isn't officially over, but it's on the way downhill, my captains are too low level to deal with theirs, so they lose all the battles I'm not in, etc. Gameplay mechanics are pretty interesting for a small studio though, I'll probably just start a new game, now that I know what's up.

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Orc Trailer
1. Re: SpellForce 3 Orc Trailer Nov 29, 2017, 14:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks good, still tempted to pre-order before the 7th, although pre-ordering in this day and age just supports bad developer behavior.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Announced
8. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Announced Nov 25, 2017, 17:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Devinoch wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 14:43:
Two human factions and no Eldar? No interest, thanks.

I'm sure they will be more than happy to sell you additional factions at a later date, for an additional (but mostly reasonable!) price.

The basic premise of the game sounds somewhat interesting, I'll check it out after release.

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway
2. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 25, 2017, 17:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 16:02:
I thought this was supposed to be a different demo with Elfs or somethings. Anyway it's the same one from Steam and it's still locking up my PC when I run it.

AMD issue, right? That sucks. For what it's worth, the game is really good, hopefully AMD CPU people bug them enough so they patch it up.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale and Steam Awards Return
22. Re: Steam Autumn Sale and Steam Awards Return Nov 24, 2017, 11:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Redmask wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 09:31:
Make Left 4 Dead 3 you assholes

Nope, Valve is way too happy just sitting around doing the bare minimum maintaining Steam, and making billions.

No HL3, no L4D3, etc.

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Elves Trailer; Free Preview Tomorrow
3. Re: SpellForce 3 Elves Trailer; Free Preview Tomorrow Nov 23, 2017, 22:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 13:05:
Well I hope this one is more stable with AMD. Saw lots of people, including myself, saw the first beta locking the PC up and forcing hard resets.

Did you just try it the first day? They must have patched it 6-7 times during that first trial weekend, hopefully one of those was AMD related.

The game was pretty badass on my Core i7-6700K and GTX1070, definitely going to buy it. Just trying to decide if I should hold out for sale, or get suckered in at the pre-release discount.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 19, 2017, 13:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

I finally finished Divinity: Original Sin 2 the other day... some of the fights towards the end are simply ridiculous, and there are still a few bugs present. Still, the game is awesome, and I'll probably run through it again in 6 months to a year, after I get through some other RPGs.

*Note: GoG version, not Steam.

I highly recommend D:OS2 to any RPG fans, especially if it goes on sale for Black Friday.

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Free Weekend
8. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 18, 2017, 15:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played a few skirmish matches vs AI... this game will be dangerous for me. I literally spent about 5 hours just building my bases up, slowly turtling + expanding across the map, taking over enemy towns and killing their heroes in small battles.

I'll try the campaign mission later, but I'm leaning towards buying this fairly soon, maybe even with just the 10% discount they are offering now.

The next question becomes, GoG or Steam? I'm thinking GoG, I have zero desire to play this multiplayer, so Steam's backend won't matter much.

No titans, and I am assuming we're missing flying units, etc. that'll come later in the full release. I'd also rather have the classic Spellforce style, all the powers you have on each hero available, without the 3 powers per 'page' (with a button to switch pages) for all heroes at once. I don't want to turn off auras, etc. but sometimes you need to heal or shield somebody. The way the powers are setup now, I'd focus on 3 powers and never switch basically, at least in skirmish.

The rain and cloud cover were a little much, as far as obscuring units a little too much in my opinion. It looked sweet, but made distinguishing units in combat that much more difficult.

Map design is great it seems, and looks amazing. Towers are strong but killable, about where I want them to be for turtle-happy people.

Mage heroes utterly demolish regular units, Archer hero can take out enemy heroes, tank hero auras and overall survivability seem good. Healer hero seemed required for humans, if you want to not waste cash on units at least.

I would love the ability to move peasants from one outpost/base to another...their semi-autonomous nature got on my nerves a bit. You can issue build orders, or tell them to staff a building, but you can't migrate ones in the resource depleted part of the map to the front lines, as far as I can tell.

Skirmish seems to be capped at 3 heroes, at least in this beta... I was looking forward to having 9 heroes at once like Battle for Middle Earth, even if it takes up most of your unit cap. Oh well, there is a button for more heroes in the skirmish setup, but it didn't seem to function yet.

Hopefully the campaign is awesome, the mechanics of the game seem to all be there.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 18, 2017, 12:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, this was a blunder by the US military/their contractor, but the reality is any 'cloud' computing solution means somebody else has your fucking data.

They forgot to encrypt it and disguise it, but they already gave it away when they were stupid enough to host it on a third party server.

You would think the US military would have the budget to run their own server farms somewhere? This is embarrassing in a lot of ways.

3. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 19:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 19:12:
They must feel pretty confident if they're going with a free weekend a couple weeks before the retail release... right?

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps they have polished this one single player demo mission to perfection while the rest is complete garbage and are hoping that people will fall for the free demo trick Wink .

You can not be careful enough these days. I will wait for a GOTY and sales. RPG/RTS hybrid is not my favorite genre anyway.

Well, I thought Spellforce 2 was awesome, I played the hell out of that game. I'm hoping they don't let me down, and Spellforce 3 turns out great. The videos so far certainly look impressive.

I'll post here once I've played it a bit, for the 1-2 other people who care about Spellforce 3.

*EDIT* Typo.

News Comments > Titan Quest Ragnarök Released
6. Re: Titan Quest Ragnarök Released Nov 17, 2017, 19:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, those kids aren't going to chase themselves off the lawn, now are they?

Seriously though, this dlc seems weirdly timed... the original team is fragmented and gone on to other things, such as Grim Dawn. I don't know if any of them landed at "Pieces Interactive" which is apparently the developer of this, according to Steam?

I went back and played the TQ Anniversary Edition when it got released... it felt antiquated and stale compared to Grim Dawn, sadly.

Oh well, good luck to a newer group of developers trying to get their foot in the door, so to speak.

1. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 18:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whoa, shit, I'll download this post haste!

They must feel pretty confident if they're going with a free weekend a couple weeks before the retail release... right?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
42. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 16:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 16:47:
What about 2011's Battlefield 3 where you could only get certain attachments/mods to your guns through %100 random battlepacks?

People seem to forget that shit quickly...

It's been awhile, but I seem to remember that it wasn't fully random for those unlocks, ie. your pool of random drops was less as you unlocked more, so you eventually got them all through regular play. Also none of the attachments were that strong(or had a lower level equivalent that you could grind), although it has been awhile since I've played BF3.

Also, for BF3, MOST of the attachments were a regular unlock grind, then like the last one(or two) was in a battlepack or something? Those battlepacks were awarded based on weapon use also, not completely random? Or was that only BF4...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2017, 12:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nucas wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 11:57:
so ben affleck is batman but only in "the official dc movies", and they want to make more batman movies, but with a different guy?

I think they are saying Affleck is probably done with Batman after Justice League, and whoever they pick will be the new Batman for future films. Supposedly Affleck has lost interest. Gyllenhaal isn't a terrible choice, I just hope they do a less murder happy Batman for future films. Machine gunning and missiling enemies is not the Batman way.

8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 12:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:02:
I still don't see how this game is sooo dramatically different from any of the recent Battlefield games that this grants such and earth shattering outcry.

EA uses booster packs, battlepacks, fudge packs in their games since forever. They have the pay real money to unlock all weapons in just about all their recent BF games, yet it wasn't such a huge deal until now.
Is it the booster cards that tips the balance so much?

I am not defending EA just curious. Just about everything people are complaining about in Battlefront 2 can be found in all previous Battlefield games in recent years

You can just play in any previous game and unlock things. BF1 was a bit annoying, in that you had to 'select' certain unlocks to grind per round, but there were NO time based caps on experience or any experience caps. SWBF2 has both of those.

All previous games had all the unlocks available in game, through regular play, sometimes of different modes. The only randomized drops were cosmetic. In SWBF2, game changing(opinions will vary on the impact, but they are gameplay altering changes) can only be had through randomized drops, which will take THOUSANDS of hours(based on beta play estimates) to unlock, or the use of real money to buy them. On top of that, keep in mind experience is capped per game, and per day(time based), so the real time period will be much longer.

BF4 was probably the best unlock grinding system to date by DICE. You could unlock multiple things simultaneously, the goals were mostly realistic, and they still had pay unlocks for people who wanted shortcuts, but nothing was really overpowered.

BF1 got worse, can only effectively unlock one thing at a time, there are sequential steps preventing you from unlocking in natural gameplay(sometimes) and there is a lot of randomized cosmetic crap to sift through.

SWBF unlocks were annoying, but honestly I find the gameplay boring enough that I didn't even bother grinding that much. Other SWBF players can comment more on that. The idea of the Hut contracts and other unlock paths weren't too terrible though.

SWBF2 seems to be doubling down on the mistakes of BF1 and SWBF, most notably with obscene exp requirements, and then adding the exp caps per round and per day. Not player friendly, and not something one would hope for from a team that theoretically has half a dozen unlock-grinding games under their belt already.

tl,dr: Boycott, vote with your wallet.

5. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 11:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'm skipping this game, but I will place my bet for when EA will reintroduce microtransactions: Before Friday, November 24th.

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Faction Trailer
2. Re: SpellForce 3 Faction Trailer Nov 15, 2017, 21:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Yeah, it's looking great, and pretty close to release already; December 7th. I loved Spellforce 2, I hope the gameplay in this turns out well.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition Released
1. Re: Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition Released Nov 15, 2017, 21:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

The new Deadfire portraits don't seem to be anything special, I didn't find one that was cool enough to justify doing a new run through PoEt, but opinions may differ.

I did start two new runs though, since PoEt 2 is coming next year(maybe!), Human Cipher with a focus on Ranged and an Coastal Aumaua tank Chanter. I should probably redo my Rogue playthrough, the mechanics are different enough from the day 1 release... hrm, need more time.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Nov 14, 2017, 11:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Darks wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 10:31:
I never had issues with Dead space 2 mouse controls. it was DS1 that had major issues. but these same guys also fixed that one too with the same patch.

Th game runs smooth now.

You beat me to it, Darks. Maybe it was just the comparison to DS1, but DS2's mouse control was good enough to play and enjoy the game, if not perfect raw input. Unpatched Dead Space 1 on the other hand...

3891 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo