Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3506 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Get Outland for Free
3. Re: Get Outland for Free Jun 6, 2017, 22:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 21:48:
Pass, just takes up space on the HD and I don't have time to play what is on my steam account now.

Haha, I thought I was jaded.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 3, 2017, 15:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

The list of assholes in charge of things that they shouldn't be in charge of seems especially high this past year or two. What really pisses me off is how happy Pai seems to look, ruining the Internet in this country. You'd think a non-psychopath would at least feel a little guilty about it.

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
19. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 3, 2017, 15:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

I've said it before in other Steam threads, Valve's %30 cut is too high in my opinion. But that isn't even close to being on the table to being changed, this is only about the entry fee for their Greenlight replacement.

In a perfect world, Valve would drop their percentage, but this is clearly extremely far from a perfect world these days.

News Comments > Consortium: The Tower Video
3. Re: Consortium: The Tower Video Jun 3, 2017, 15:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sigh, okay, I need to get around to installing Consortium and playing through it. Yet another gog sale game that has just gathered dust in the queue.

You know the queue is winning when the sequel(s) are out or almost out, and you haven't even installed the first one.

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
14. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 3, 2017, 03:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 22:16:
Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 22:00:
It should be a grand at least to keep the shovelware off. And it shouldn't be recoupable per se, but used toward the 30 points Steam takes on sales - so if you don't forsee the game doing decent sales you'll be wasting your time and money. It won't end the problem but it'd probably make a pretty good dent in it.

30 points on thousands of shovelware releases, quite the vig on that action. It's okay though, it's only Valve's rabidly loyal fanbase that foots the bill getting conned into this garabge.

I don't know how hard it is to make it a $5000 non-recuperable front just to get the process started. And then take 15 points instead of 30. Wouldn't THAT go much further to encourage indie developers to make great games that will make them lots of money, but keep out the scammers? I know there's a better way to do this. Greenlight is a good idea in principle, they really just need to figure out what the fuck they're doing before someone else does it better.

It would seem that an obvious answer is higher costs upfront, but if you succeed, then higher profits. People are encouraged to make shit that lots of people will actually want to buy, ie. 15 points. And big cost up front $5k minimum (not actually that much, even for indie devs) to keep out the scammers who will profit if they only sell 100 copies of their shit before people catch on.

I know you think that would help keep the scammers out, but a $5000 would probably keep a fair number of legitimate games entirely off of Steam, not to mention it would objectively be ridiculous for Valve to charge that much just to give some company the privilege of selling their product.

The point is moot, since Valve realized the higher end fees would be ridiculous, and they went with $100 anyway.

In the long run, I hope Valve's 30% take for each sale and their shifting entrance requirements drive more people to Gog and other services... Steam already controls too much of the marketplace.

News Comments > Fringe Wars Announced
6. Re: Fringe Wars Announced Jun 3, 2017, 03:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, yet another interesting premise ruined by MOBA influence. When will it end!?

News Comments > SpellForce 3 in December; Battle Chasers: Nightwar in October
7. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 3, 2017, 01:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 23:23:
Quinn wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 22:52:
You are 1 of the 5 players on earth who didn't use 3rd person in Spellforce. Congratulations.

Holy crap, I'm another one! Small world!!

I already got some T-Shirts made.

My CDs of Spellforce 2 are looking pretty ragged, so I bought Spellforce 2 again on Steam. It's on sale for $1.49 at the moment. I'll run through the base game at least, I think I recall one or more of the expansions being a bit weaker than the base game, but maybe I'm thinking of something else. Now Quinn's got me all curious about the 3rd person view.

News Comments > SpellForce 2 Free Weekend
1. Re: SpellForce 2 Free Weekend Jun 3, 2017, 01:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Spellforce 2 Anniversary edition is on sale on Steam for $1.49 this weekend as well.

News Comments > SpellForce 3 in December; Battle Chasers: Nightwar in October
4. Re: SpellForce 3 in December; Battle Chasers: Nightwar in October Jun 2, 2017, 13:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Quinn wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 11:15:
Alamar wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 10:15:
Always liked the SpellForce games, though while I picked up the 'expansions' to 2, I never went through them...

Looking forward to 3... And updated engine is sorely needed, and looks good so far... Not launch day good, but I'll keep an eye on it ; )

I am terribly saddened that they removed the 3rd person view. They say it's no longer a thing for this day and age, but I'd argue that they were almost too early introducing it in the time Spellforce came out. With today's hardware power and more, a lot more could be done with the 3rd person perspective. I'm very certain their decision had to do with budget or laziness.
It's why I've been looking into Life is Feudal: Forest Village, since that game does RTS+3rd person.

Hrm, you mentioned 3rd person view, but I barely remember using it at all in Spellforce 2 or the expansions, aside from a random zoom in every now and then. Definitely not to play the whole game with. I'm sure there will be a vocal contingent of 3rd person view fans to mod it in though, hopefully.

News Comments > Tokyo 42 Released
7. Re: Tokyo 42 Released Jun 2, 2017, 00:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

This game looks vaguely Syndicate-ish, although with a much more upbeat color palette.

I just finished playing through Satellite Reign, which, while somewhat flawed, was a pretty good Syndicate homage. I highly recommend picking it upon sale on Gog/Steam for those of you feeling Nostalgic about the old Syndicate games. Be warned, it suffers from a few low budget indie issues, namely bad LoS in the final battle.

I'll probably check out Tokyo42 at some point, the queue is stupidly full right now though.

News Comments > They Are Billions Announced
1. Re: They Are Billions Announced Jun 1, 2017, 21:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

This... actually looks pretty interesting, in spite of being a zombie game.

I guess I should get around to playing Lords of Xulima, I bought it on sale like 2 years ago from Gog.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jun 1, 2017, 16:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 08:33:
If you look closely at the corners of the logo, though, you can see towers you can climb to fill out the map.

Haha! Truth is comedy.

News Comments > Gunheart Announced
2. Re: Gunheart Announced Jun 1, 2017, 16:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Doesn't look half bad, but yet another VR game where you apparently don't walk, but have to teleport around.

Looks like I can safely hold off buying any VR stuff for another couple of years at least.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 1, 2017, 16:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Moral of the story, don't use fucking Facebook or other social media.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: "Once Upon a Time in Venice" Jun 1, 2017, 16:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

I liked that movie a lot better when it was the Key and Peele version, "Keanu."

News Comments > Dungeon Defenders II This Month
1. Re: Dungeon Defenders II This Month Jun 1, 2017, 16:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dungeon Defenders was pretty damned awesome, until it became a grind fest.

DDII is substantially worse(or at least, it was a year ago last time I tried it), and full of free-to-play crap.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
13. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 09:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

"roguehate" heheheh.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 25, 2017, 21:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

The Half Elf wrote on May 25, 2017, 20:36:
Um... if I'm not mistaken, Disney said they would release the original trilogy.

Really? The unedited version? Because they've released Lucas' re-cgi version a few times already, and they are horrific trash. I want the THX/Dolby remastered version that was out on laserdisc, to a nice Blu Ray transfer.

Of course, you can just download that version these days, but it'd be nice to have a legitimate version out there with a professional transfer.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 in September
8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 in September May 25, 2017, 13:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

chickenboo wrote on May 25, 2017, 10:58:
HorrorScope wrote on May 24, 2017, 21:06:
Saboth wrote on May 24, 2017, 20:29:
"Much larger than its highly-awarded predecessor, Divinity: Original Sin"

The first one was pretty darn huge, and this one is bigger? Awesome game. Very few complaints except by the end, I felt like the same combos over and over were most effective (unless an enemy had resistances).

To me that is what I've found to be the problem with long games, you figure it out and it is rinse and repeat for too long. I won't bash this game because of it, just sort of a state of gaming issue to me in general. Yes first was good, but still plenty of places to improve on, hopefully they take a nice step forward here.

I have that problem with BG2 playthroughs, it's simple enough to mostly brute-force your way through the game. Usually by the Underdark part of the game, one fighter has enough anti-spell equipment to walk right up to Beholders and whack them to death.

But, but, but... that is the best way to kill a Beholder, smashing them in the face with your Flail of Ages!

More on topic: Excellent, looking forward to D:OS2 with great anticipation. I contributed to the Kickstarted and successfully avoided playing any of the beta, mwahaha!

Long RPGs, I usually try to force myself to use different weapons and tactics over time, just to keep it interesting to me. I didn't really get bored of anything in D:OS, but yeah, BG2, with mods? You had best change up tactics/spells/weapons a bit over that 200+ hour time period, for your own sanity.

Hopefully I can finish up some lingering RPGs before September, because I'll probably want to drop everything and play D:OS2.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies
14. Re: Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies May 25, 2017, 13:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Excellent, congratulations to Crate Entertainment!

I can't wait for the expansion to come out, I'm sure the new zones will look awesome. Their art team really started to get their act together in the later zones, and they're still slowly revamping the early alpha/beta era zones.

As far as loot, yeah, Grim Dawn is definitely a lower default drop rate than D3, of course. Legendaries(Purple) don't even start dropping until your character is level 50, or from the last boss quest in the game in normal. Drop rates do increase in Elite and Ultimate difficulty, as well as Veteran(modifier for Normal) for that matter, but you will never be drowning in Legendaries like D3.

I've got around 450 hours into Grim Dawn according to Steam, but quite a bit of that was in the earlier level capped beta days. I'm still finding blue or purple drops that make me want to build an entire character around them though...right now I have around 7 characters in the 50s or higher because of that.

People on the forums say the legendary drop rate over time is better playing the Crucible(arena) mode, but that kinda bores me. The main game's quest chains and maps are more fun to me, and even solo you will eventually get leveled up and outfitted in good greens, blues and some purple Legendaries.

3506 Comments. 176 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo