Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3903 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG
14. Re: BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG Dec 28, 2017, 22:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sooo... keep avoiding this game then. Thanks, all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
30. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 14:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 12:50:
Henry Dorsett wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 03:58:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 02:13:
Netflix makes some good stuff; Mindhunters, Travellers, etc.
If that's what you qualify as Netflix's "good stuff," I think we can all safely ignore you opinion on films and television. You, like the critics, are entitled to your opinion. It just happens to be, you know, pretty disingenuous to ding the movie for a lack of subtlety or not enough world-building when it's really God damn clear from the start that it's supposed to be an easily-accessible action-fantasy film.

You're in a pretty small minority if you think Mindhunters isn't good: Metacritic 79 with a user score of 8.4. IMDB score of 8.7, etc. Travelers also sitting at 8.0 on IMDB. So when you say "we can ignore" I'll assume you're using the "royal" we.

It'd be crazy if we ALL agreed on exactly the same things, even in a forum as small as this one. If we did, I'd probably stop coming here, it'd be too weird.

I can see not liking Mindhunters... it's well done, but it's based on faulty pseudo-science. It may even be encouraging the concept of profiling in the public view, but then again there have been a dozen movies and TV shows about that crap.

Travellers starts off as pretty simple sci-fi, and doesn't even hint at anything great until late in the first season(But they are great hints, which is why I'm still interested! ). I'm a few episodes into the second season, and I'm afraid they may chicken out from the hardcore sci-fi path, since the show got a little popular. We'll see.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 02:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Meh, not sure what you guys were seeing when you saw Bright, but it was a pretty bad in my opinion.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

An embarrassingly ham-fisted racial metaphor, questionable plot (If the wand is that strong, why would Noomi Rapace's Elf character ever give it away, especially if her Elf group are basically turbo ninjas?), constant contradictions('everybody' knows only Brights can use a wand, yet regular people keep grabbing it and blowing up?) What exactly were the cops going to do with the wand if they had successfully stole it? Annihilate themselves by touching it bare handed? Even if a person is a Bright, if they don't know the magic words(as shown by Will Smith), they can't do much anyway? On top of that, apparently they will be targeted by the entirety of Earth's population, who will want to kill them and take the wand?

There were a couple centaurs around, and some other less common mythical creatures, yet they were mostly background scenery. It seems like the other non-human police would have maybe had some effect on Nick the orc cop's situation?

Most importantly though, the entire movie would have been over in the first 10 minutes if the runaway elf girl had just told Smith and his partner to call the magic Feds, or spoken English to them, and anybody had any sense and called the Feds to deal with the incoming Murderous Elf Trio.

All in all, it felt like it should have been a Shadowrun movie, or any one of the halfway decent modern day-fantasy series adaptations; Dresden Files, early Anita Blake, etc. Almost any of those, as cheesy as they mostly are, have far more fleshed out worlds to be used and drawn from. Oh well.

Netflix makes some good stuff; Mindhunters, Travellers, etc. but they are also starting to pump out a ton of crap, seemingly just to fill their servers with their own content.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cancelling Netflix in protest or something, I just felt the negative reviews of Bright were correct; it simply wasn't that good of a movie.

OCD Complaint: also the firearm sounds in Bright were mostly terible. No excuse for a $100 million dollar movie.

*EDIT* Typo.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2017, 15:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Millionaires pay for sex from high priced hookers? News at 11.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 25, 2017, 18:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

On the one hand, bravo for an impressive student project!

On the other hand, how dare they sully the name Contra with this?! Where is the 6 gun, or laser? Or any semblance of movement through a level?

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video
15. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Dec 24, 2017, 16:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

Yet another Star Citizen thread!

It should be obvious by now, they are in no hurry to finish anything, as long as people keep spending millions on virtual ships. This game development is its own cult/religion/ponzi scheme.

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Trailer
6. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Trailer Dec 23, 2017, 00:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

I was a lot more excited for this game before this video came out...something about the animations seems way off, also FoV is way too narrow, etc. The scenery is gorgeous, but it almost looks like they're using some version of the Gamebryo engine with it's shitty animations and physics or something.

Maybe on a decent sale, for now, pass for me.

News Comments > Get Kingdom: Classic for Free
6. Re: Get Kingdom: Classic for Free Dec 20, 2017, 15:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

The early bird gets the worm, etc.

I picked it up, but for those who missed it, it'll probably be on sale again in a week anyway, or maybe even free again, during the Christmas sale.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 11:24 MoreLuckThanSkill

$22 Million, for the US government/military, is basically handing a guy a pencil and a stapler. If they actually thought this was worthwhile it'd be a multi-billion dollar effort.

News Comments > Get Layers of Fear and Soundtrack for Free
7. Re: Get Layers of Fear and Soundtrack for Free Dec 19, 2017, 00:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 23:12:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 22:42:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 21:52:
Great deal!

Arguably, the only way it could be a better deal is if they were to pay you to take the game and play it.

Picked it up, although Steam bugged out when I tried to add the soundtrack, said 'Application Failure' or something along those lines.

Trying to put the soundtrack key in again said it was already added to my account, but it doesn't show up. Oh well.

You didn't have the game installed. The Soundtrack is considered "DLC". Ran in to the same issue myself.

Ah, that makes perfect sense, thanks!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 22:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Off topic, but I just saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and arrggh... so many minor details off... so aggravating...

News Comments > Get Layers of Fear and Soundtrack for Free
3. Re: Get Layers of Fear and Soundtrack for Free Dec 18, 2017, 22:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Acleacius wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 21:52:
Great deal!

Arguably, the only way it could be a better deal is if they were to pay you to take the game and play it.

Picked it up, although Steam bugged out when I tried to add the soundtrack, said 'Application Failure' or something along those lines.

Trying to put the soundtrack key in again said it was already added to my account, but it doesn't show up. Oh well.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2017, 12:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

What the, Ruiner didn't make the list, even on sale? (*Sale is over now*)

That game is great, in a Neuromancer style, rage inducing bullet hell/dodging game.

I love it, but bring your reflexes.

Somehow, people keep buying PUBG and GTA5...that's embarrassing, really.

I'll get They Are Billions eventually though, it has been added to the list. Most likely post Early Access.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Montana Video
19. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 16:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'm with the bargain hunters who've posted so far. This game looks like more of the same, but I have enjoyed most of the Far Cry games, so I'll probably buy it on a decent sale/coupon opportunity, probably next fall-winter or so.

There is so much shit to play, quality games, that it's fine to wait a year or two for stuff you're going to play single player only, honestly.

News Comments > Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions
8. Re: Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions Dec 16, 2017, 12:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Upcoming RPG, but they aren't talking about PoEt 2? Sweet, my RPG fix will be satiated for years to come.

Although to be fair, Obsidian really hasn't made the type of game that would attract the loot box crowd(probably?) basically ever, so this most likely isn't that big of a loss of revenue to their publishers/investors.

Also to put it in perspective, they've sold minor upgrade bullshit through Kickstarter for each Pillars game, so this feels a little bit like splitting hairs. Still, no gambling randomized crap in game for real money is good!

I'm a little behind on my most recent PoEt playthrough, and still need to finish Torment; I got completely sidetracked by Spellforce 3. The base building is like crack. The dialogue is like oral surgery, but I'll finish the campaign. I had thought, foolishly, that I was getting ahead on RPGs though, after finishing up D:OS2.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 17:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 14:36:
They didn't offer him $32, they refunded that to him as it was the cost to deliver the cheque.

Yeah, that headline is misleading... a check that vanishes basically means you get another check from the person/business issuing it, and they stop payment on the lost check. What the fuck did they think, that UPS would suddenly shell out 700 grand? Although their negative press did get the bank to issue another check without too much hassle, so it ended well at least.

Re:Star Wars, I'm going to see it on Monday, I may just need to avoid the internet entirely to avoid spoilers.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Free Weekend and Homefront for Free
7. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Free Weekend and Homefront for Free Dec 15, 2017, 00:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 00:36:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 23:01:
I played through Homefront: The Revolution a month or two ago; I'd picked it up from one of the sales.

It's pretty good, but suffers from a bit of consolitis. You have all these interesting guns, and of course you can only carry three of them at a time, and one has to be the pistol.

It would have been 5 times better as a game without that restriction, but what can you do.

So... the same restriction as BF: Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty and Far Cry and a bunch of other games?

Multiplayer focused games mostly, and yes I disagree with weapon carry limits on principle alone. A single player, 'open' world game, and I can't carry all my stuff at once? Especially when the guns are cool and transform/mod into different situational things? And I also have about 500 pounds of loot at any given time in my magical backpack?

That just takes fun options away from the player and doesn't make for a better overall game.

Also I think the lowest count for simultaneous guns in any Far Cry game is 4.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe Released
3. Re: Wolfenstein II: The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe Released Dec 14, 2017, 23:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

The base game was really good, I enjoyed it. I did however already uninstall, and won't bother getting any DLC, especially since they are NOT tied in to the main story really(which could have used some more closure!) at least as far I understand the DLC.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Free Weekend and Homefront for Free
5. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Free Weekend and Homefront for Free Dec 14, 2017, 23:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played through Homefront: The Revolution a month or two ago; I'd picked it up from one of the sales.

It's pretty good, but suffers from a bit of consolitis. You have all these interesting guns, and of course you can only carry three of them at a time, and one has to be the pistol.

It would have been 5 times better as a game without that restriction, but what can you do. I definitely had fun for the $9.99 or whatever I spent on it.

I don't think it was worth much more than that, a bit grindy, and some of the mechanics seemed to not work well at later levels, ie. the Rebellion Tokens or whatever they were called... you can only spend so many on weapons, and you can't translate them to cash, which you actually need later. I ended up with like 200+ extra ones, while scrounging for cash constantly to upgrade weapons. I'm busy freeing America, maybe let me get that scope for my work with the Resistance, don't charge me $5,000?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 13, 2017, 15:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wasteland 2 on Switch? wtf, I guess that'd work? I wonder how many Switch owners would be interested in that sort of game, and who haven't already played it on PC/Mac/Linux?

I have to hand it InXile, they are making their game available at least.

3903 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo