Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3670 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month
10. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 13:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

4D-Boxing wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 13:26:
How's the player base? Got this last fall and only started playing July 2017 and just switched to Dirty Bomb because it feels like you have to snipe or fly to have any success in bf1.

PC went from to many fps to a few and most don't have server browsers. I want to frag like its 1999 not 1991...

Well, as of a few days ago, BF1 still has a pretty decent playerbase as far as I can tell (in the US), games at any time of day or night possible, and they'll always be full. Conquest Large, 64player. I'm sure player count is down overall, but people leave and come back, as they get tired of whatever new game is out.

Gun/Vehicle balance is for the most part pretty good right now in BF1, honestly. Some people are complaining about shotguns not registering correctly recently, but anecdotal evidence, I haven't had any problems. As far as sniping/flying, way more people will be using Helriegel and some of the other popular and/or unlock required guns and dominating. Sniping loses games unless you are a phenomenal sniper. There's enough anti-air to deal with pilots, but yes, a great pilot can do very well.

I should probably try Dirty Bomb at some point, I hear good things (mostly) about that, aside from some free to play grinding annoyance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 30, 2017, 11:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

I read the article, and Obsidian's reasoning was sound, especially in 2005, when they were actually offered it. 2017, they might have to just accept it, with all the insane popularity of the TV show, although I think their reasoning for lack of gameplay is still valid.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Open Beta
49. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 07:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

So, how exactly do Destiny 1 veterans feel about content being locked out of the PC version for 1 year or more?

1 Sniper rifle, 1 Ship(?), 1 Strike, and 1 PVP map, according to a link I can't find now, and I'm sure more as DLC/content patches come out.

How many strikes(pve dungeons?) are there planned to be, how many were there in Destiny 1 vanilla on release? etc. Missing out on major PVE content seems unforgivable. I doubt I'd miss another gun here or there.

The game looks interesting, but if PC content is going to be gimped for literally years maybe I will just avoid the game entirely.

News Comments > Absolver Launches
4. Re: Absolver Launches Aug 30, 2017, 06:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'll most likely get this eventually, but probably not at full price. I've become such a cheapskate, in this new era of downloadable games.

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released
13. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 12:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:27:
It's really hard to resist. I have not been back to XCOM2 in a while, this is a good reason to.

Same here. Vanilla XCOM2 didn't click for me. I didn't mind the turn timers, I didn't mind the scarcity of resources in the strategy map, but both together ended up frustrating me.

Well, you might get even more frustrated by this expansion. Among the many changes are the really annoying(going by the smaller Alien Hunter DLC) bosses that will pop up in your missions and not even follow the rules of the game, ie. turn order, number of turns, etc.

I'll get this eventually, but probably wait for a sale.

News Comments > Rock of Ages 2: Bigger & Boulder Rolls Out
1. Re: Rock of Ages 2: Bigger & Boulder Rolls Out Aug 29, 2017, 06:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks pretty good, I liked Rock of Ages well enough. Sale buy, didn't put a ton of hours into it, but it was fun and reminded me of Marble Madness a little bit. Mixed with Monty Python, or something.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
15. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 29, 2017, 06:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 01:07:
I don't know, seems kind of weird they picked undead to be the last race. Certainly won't be in any party I play.

One thing I can agree on, the original ending was horrid. At least they fixed that in later releases.

What the shit, they changed the ending for that Director's Cut or whatever it was called? Ugh, need to go back and play that at some point.

14. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 29, 2017, 06:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nailbender wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 04:27:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 23:28:
... I backed years ago...

"Years ago"? Well, couldn't be more than 2. The kickstarter for the game started on August 2015.

Okay, well it felt like a long time, at least.

Yeah, now that you mention it, this was one of the speedier Kickstarters, really. They had a playable beta out for forever, it seemed like.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2017, 23:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 14:28:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 13:15:
It is easier than you'd think to make that mistake when there are parallel runways, sometimes with taxiways and other access roads running along side, and 400+ lights pretty close together.
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 03:26:
This is normal operation for tens of thousands of flights a day in the US alone. Really, requiring ILS/instrument approaches all the time at night, regardless of weather, is going to be seen as an overreaction by 99% of pilots and controllers. It's always one guy that ruins it for the rest of us.
Okay, so which is it? Easy to make the mistake? Or something 99% of pilots can do it easily?

Even if it is normal to do a visual landing, checking the ILS somewhere in process seems like a pretty simple and sensible step. And the fact it isn't a standard thing to do seems like a large oversight to me.

It's not impossible to try to land on the wrong runway/taxiway.

It's not mutually exclusive that about 100 thousand flights a day manage to NOT do that. (in the US alone)

ILS is not 100% reliable(nothing is), and not available at every airport(smaller airpots don't always have it to begin with, so are visual approach ONLY.) so sometimes people do visual approaches when they can.

I'd argue >99% of pilots can make such visual landings easily, but humans make mistakes, what else can I say? The ACA crew probably had thousands of landings under their belts before this, and even after making a HUGE mistake(s), they were able to pull up and avoid a collision, with some help from the pilots on the ground and the controller. Shit goes wrong, pilots/controllers have to react and save the day sometimes.

That's why I said it's an overreaction(in my opinion) to require ALL flights into SFO to be ILS at night(this may change anyway in 6 months) because of one near miss. Or this may get enough publicity that it becomes common in more places. The NTSB investigation will be interesting.

Flying is still 100 times safer than driving, regardless.

7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 28, 2017, 23:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks awesome, I backed years ago, and have been patiently awaiting and avoiding playing the beta.

Beta reviews seem to be stellar, by the way; this should turn out amazing!

News Comments > Rune: Ragnarok Announced
6. Re: Rune: Ragnarok Announced Aug 28, 2017, 23:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, sweet, although I would have liked some in game footage in this trailer of actual gameplay.

I remember Rune back in the day, the multiplayer was easily the most infuriating game my group had ever played up to that point. Quite a few people rage quit and we had to agree to stop playing it together.

Something about automatic decapitation(instakill) when attacking from an elevated position, etc.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2017, 03:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 14:46:
Again, was the ILS non-functional? Assuming you are correct and they were doing a visual approach only -- what was the reason for this?

Glad to hear SFO now requires ILS at night. Hard to believe it isn't already required at any airport which has ILS.

If you aren't required to do an instrument approach, and the weather is clear, many(most?) pilots/controllers will do a visual approach for reasons of speed. Some airlines require instrument approaches at night, some airports require instrument approaches at night. Not all.

A visual approach can use partial instrument approaches to set up, or nothing but pilot vision/landmarks. Most pilots will at least use GPS/RNAV fixes or the ILS to get started, then go in visually. Did the ACA pilots use any parts of any instrument approaches? I'm guessing they did not, but we won't know for months, until after the NTSB investigates.

And again, prior to this incident, if the tower was advertising visual approaches(they were, visual 28R, per the audio recording) the flight crew can use as much or as little instrument assist as they want to do their approach. From that point it comes down to what requirements the airline or company require of their flight crews for X approach at Y time of day.

This is normal operation for tens of thousands of flights a day in the US alone. Really, requiring ILS/instrument approaches all the time at night, regardless of weather, is going to be seen as an overreaction by 99% of pilots and controllers. It's always one guy that ruins it for the rest of us.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 28, 2017, 02:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

$5.99 for Hand of Fate is a bargain. Great little indie game; card based encounters and solo third person combat. Really good voice work too, for the Dealer. The developers seem to still be releasing new free content for it as well, more encounters/creatures/weapons etc.

Support the good indie devs.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2017, 13:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 21:45:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 17:59:
To non-pilots this seems insane, but the mistake is understandable if you're in aviation. Not to say it should just be forgiven or anything, but they were on a visual approach, and at night, even with the correct lights on, it's a lot more confusing than you would first assume.
Are you saying the ILS was not functioning? Because unless it wasn't, I don't see how the mistake is understandable. It seems to be cut and dry case of inattention are the part of the flight crew.

Oh, it was definitely the flight crew's fault, I don't dispute this. But they were not on ILS, they were doing a visual approach only. Hence they eyeballed it, and mistook the 28R for 28L, and moved over to land on the taxiway.

28L would have lights on the front indicating it is closed, but they aren't always easy to see. The flight crew missed them.

28R has runway lights on. The taxiway has its lights on(different light colors/setups) but fatigue, confirmation bias, etc. made the pilots confused. This could have been terrible, but plenty of people have landed on taxiways by accident, when no planes are present there.

It is easier than you'd think to make that mistake when there are parallel runways, sometimes with taxiways and other access roads running along side, and 400+ lights pretty close together.

No excuses for the pilot crew, who screwed up, but people should realize this shit happens a fair amount, and that's why many airports BAN visual approaches at night, and require instrument approaches only, regardless of weather conditions. SFO does this now, after this incident.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 27, 2017, 13:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 12:26:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Spoilers: Silk Spectre and Nite Owl will, they survive the ending.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
48. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 26, 2017, 18:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

Half-Life 3 Confirmed. Don't fall for this misdirection! I'm sure HL3 will be out for Christmas 2017.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2017, 17:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hoop wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 17:43:
I had no idea that the Air Canada plane only cleared the stacked aircraft on the ground by just 69 feet. WTF
The only thing that betrays any kind of panic is the clipped speed of air traffic controls "Air Canada go around"
Kind of surreal how the pilot's voice stays in character as he powers on with no time to spare.
Even though his response is calm you can hear the I'am so fucked filling his head.
Mistakes on both sides but that Air Canada crew needs to be assigned new jobs loading planes not flying them.

To non-pilots this seems insane, but the mistake is understandable if you're in aviation. Not to say it should just be forgiven or anything, but they were on a visual approach, and at night, even with the correct lights on, it's a lot more confusing than you would first assume. It's a 2 parallel runway setup, L was closed, but the lights that indicate closure are NOT as visible at long distance at night as many people would like. The pilots mistook 28R for 28L, moved over accordingly. There are other lights to indicate the runways vs taxiways, but human error, etc.

This is why now San Francisco only allows instrument approaches at night, regardless of how clear it is. Many other airports do the same, due to mistaken identity of runways, human fatigue, etc.

Also, 69 feet for the first plane, 51ft over the 2nd plane(B747), not counting the tails of any aircraft(all heavies), so more like a clearance of around 12-15 feet. Luckily, barely avoided a major series of crashes. 5 fully loaded planes, four of which were full of fuel.

The tower controller has no chance, from his angle, to see(visually out of the tower windows) that the ACA pilot was lined up for the taxiway. He SHOULD have been alerted when ACA asked about lights on the runway(the taxiway) but once again, human error, "wtf would he try to land on the taxiway?" was probably running through his head.

I am amazed that this level of near disaster has gotten this much public press, to be honest.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2017, 17:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

That's pretty impressive, considering how ridiculous the terrain is in NY state in a lot of areas. 3 Mountain ranges, valleys, etc. it's a lot of cable to run.

Of course, why the hell are they aiming for 25mbps, fucking lay fiber down for future 1gbps, FFS.

They are also counting wifi, so some areas will probably still be screwed over when it comes to fiber for quite a long time.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
19. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 26, 2017, 17:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Aside from the multitude of other aspects of this game, the level of feature creep for this project is off the charts. What the hell is half of this shit even doing in a space flight game anyway? Facial recognition? ROFL!

I'm still down for whatever single player version of this game comes out, when it hits the bargain bin.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Beta Preloads Today
12. Re: Destiny 2 PS4 Exlusives... Aug 25, 2017, 21:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

A bit of the ole google:

A Strike, a Ship, an Exotic Sniper Rifle, and a PvP Map are PS4 only for a year or more.

A Strike is apparently a full PvE dungeon...how many are in the game total? That seems too harsh.

Bargain bin for this game, in a couple years' time.

3670 Comments. 184 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo