Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3373 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dawn of War III Released
14. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:24:
Drayth wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:17:
According to the Steam reviews I read this one's played like a moba.

Am I terrible that this would actually make me more interested in this game?

Yes....

Developers need to keep the MOBA bullshit out of actual RTS games. Of course, apparently the majority of the gameplaying public doesn't agree with that, but the dwindling crowd of crusty old school people would like a good RTS every now and then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Spring Update
3. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2017, 14:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played a couple of rounds... fighters still seem pretty strong, too early to tell though.

Biggest issue is still teammates who cannot fathom capping/defending flags... it seems bad enough still, that I should probably quit to save my blood pressure.

The gunplay is still reasonably tight, enjoyable, but maybe not enough to outweigh idiots ruining games. No ammo drops, no revive, no capping/defense. Oh well.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Released
4. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 14:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Steam reviews indicate...this game is shit, compared to DoW1.

Oh well, I can write Relic off as a studio now, officially, at least.

They want to be some sort of MOBA/multiplayer Esport game company, not a good RTS company.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 27, 2017, 12:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, what the fuck did they think would happen with unsecured IoT devices?

I know security is hard, but releasing millions of devices that are designed to be online 24/7 with zero or utterly useless security was beyond stupid.

Your refrigerator and washing machine really don't need to be online. If they are, please put a robust password on them.

Now we can only hope Hajime doesn't try to use its botnet for any malicious attacks.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Spring Update
2. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2017, 11:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

Medic Revive spotting... that should help some. I've been getting pissed off royally lately, playing BF1 as a medic and having idiots force respawn immediately as I am running to them. "Waste a ticket and respawn far from the action? Okay, fuck you, medics!"

More weapons... good, and the choices seem decent.

Most of the bug fixes/weapon balance changes seem decent as well, I'll check out the patch later tonight probably.

I think the damage to fighter planes from AA should probably be higher, right now the dominant air strategy is to use the fucking lawn darts from a fighter vs infantry, and be fast enough to avoid AA range and most ground fire, while STILL being able to shoot down slower planes... seriously need a fighter rebalance/nerf.

I assume the dart changes listed will help, but the fighters seriously dominate the air at this point, while still being able to wreck infantry.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Re: Into the Black Apr 27, 2017, 03:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense, even the Village, I really liked all of those Shyamalan films.

The problem is all of the good will he burned with trash such as The Happening and Signs, and that mermaid one that I can't even recall the name of.

But hey, nobody makes nothing but amazing films... even the greats release a dud every now and then.

I still need to watch Split, it's in my Netflix queue(old school mailing Netflix still has the five star ratings by the way, not the thumbs up/thumbs down. )

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 26, 2017, 18:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

70% funded and 42 days left? Phoenix Point should make that, no problem.

I'll put in $30 for a pledge most likely.

News Comments > New Julian Gollop Game Crowdfunding
16. Re: New Julian Gollop Game Crowdfunding Apr 26, 2017, 17:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 11:53:
I would highly advice anyone thinking of investing to wait until fig has actually at least once paid out such an investment return. Because it all seems way too susceptible to the "I know we sold 40 million copies at full retail, but we made no profits at all, honest!" Hollywood Accounting(tm) shenanigans to me.

They explain the math a bit if you look a little deeper on the site, it's somewhat unfavorable to investors, in my opinion. I would only ever recommend doing a pledge just to get the game cheaper than retail, but some people may want to add some extras.

Looking at the Investment for Wasteland 3 for example:

The game needs to sell 296,600 copies !?!? in order for the investors to break even. Now, I'm looking forward to Wasteland 3 with great anticipation, but I doubt it'll approach 300k sales anytime soon. I'm also not sure what the time limit is, ie. 5 years down the line when the game sells more than 300k copies, mostly on sale, are you already considered 'out' in terms of distributions, etc.

I'm kind of curious, I want to find some real numbers on the total number of Wasteland 2 sales... supposedly the game sold over 400,000 copies on Steam alone? That's surprising, and if true, that makes the Wasteland 3 investment more appealing, I guess.

There is also the caveat that the board of directors have discretion for any returns over 70%, not sure how that is going to play out at all either.

I'm cheap enough that I will never invest, but they clearly have gotten more than a few people on Pillars 2 and Wasteland 3. I'm actually pretty interested to see how this Fig thing turns out in a year or two.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 26, 2017, 09:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

Tom wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 06:47:
This is probably a good time to pick up The Long Dark. Hinterland says this is the last chance to pick it up in early access, and they intend to raise the price. They're also doing a big release in 8 days which is probably the story mode we've been waiting for for years now. I sure hope it's good...

So how exactly is the game currently? I like the art, the concept seems like it could get old pretty quick though. I've heard chatter/read text about the story mode for awhile, but it's been years with no actual 'story mode'...

8. Re: New Julian Gollop Game Crowdfunding Apr 26, 2017, 01:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 23:19:
This looks pretty good. A bit short on cash right now, but if it hasn't been pulled in 30 days, I may back.

What is Fig? Never heard of it.

Fig, you can Pledge(standard Kickstarter style, money for a project, get a game+whatever extras at the end) or you can Invest.

The investments seem to start at a much higher monetary value, Pillars of Eternity 2 investment was $1000 minimum, but there was the chance for a more substantial return on the investment, assuming the game does well.

Full Disclosure, I have only pledged, never invested on Fig, not interested in investing like that in games personally. Fig is run by game developers/industry people such as Brian Fargo, Feargus Urquhart, and Tim Schafer, among others.

PoEt 2 got less total donations, but gathered more money than PoEt 1(pre-release) through investments/pledges/matching investments from Fig.

Wasteland 3 was also on there, successfully funded, and now Phoenix Point.

tl,dr: alternative to Kickstarter, might be a bit more financially helpful to game developers. Slightly different model.

6. Re: New Julian Gollop Game Crowdfunding Apr 25, 2017, 22:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 22:41:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 22:06:
*EDIT 2* $30 and up pledges also come with a key for Chaos Reborn, his recent strategy game.

I backed Chaos Reborn at a fairly high level, I think name in credits and everything. Never even downloaded it.

Part of the issue is it came with early access, and I didn't want to play something not complete, and I never figured out when it was complete. Never saw coverage, never saw reviews. Is it good?

Also, didn't he recently announce a turn based game? Or was that someone else doing something inspired by him? Other than the one from the FTL guys.

Well, I got Chaos Reborn on some deep sale or bundle on Gog, but it's pretty deep in the queue, haven't played it yet. Reviews seem pretty good for it though, on Gog and Steam. I was just pointing out that the $30 price tag isn't so bad, basically 20 bucks for Phoenix Point, 10 for Chaos Reborn.

Phoenix Point looks it's way more up my alley than Chaos Reborn is, but I will get to CR... eventually.

4. Re: New Julian Gollop Game Crowdfunding Apr 25, 2017, 22:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

What the hell, this looks AWESOME! I will back it for 30 at least. But, what kind of studio are they working in, haha!? He's walking around with an oil lantern, and it's a dark, dank brick interior. Just make the game cool, Julian, no need to punish your workers.

Was this the game they were working on years ago? It must be, the X-Com-ish new Gollop game. I thought the art style for that was a bit different... but I may be confusing it with some other project.

*EDIT* Plus I already broke my Fig cherry with Pillars 2, no excuses (aside from common sense to avoid crowdfunding! ) left.

*EDIT 2* $30 and up pledges also come with a key for Chaos Reborn, his recent strategy game.

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Apr 25, 2017, 22:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 11:19:
It would be a great game if it had a map. It's simply too confusing and easy to get lost in it unless you play it non-stop to learn and remember where everything is. Too much of a PITA getting around otherwise.

I'm not sure if you consider this cheating but these sort of player made maps are what I'm going to use when I finally get around to playing Underrail. I'm eager to play the game, not eager to wander around lost half the time with no in game map.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Quake Champions Trailer and Interview Apr 25, 2017, 21:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

ReactOS is getting better every day, and it's builts off Windows, so Linux fears can avoid being triggered.

I'm playing around with it on one old comp now, debating whether or not to go full ReactOS on every machine I have. Maybe a little longer... but definitely the game playing future OS for me, especially if Valve has utterly given up on SteamOS.

The spyware and other nonsense in Windows 10 is too much for me. You can at least disable most of it in Windows 8.1, but even that has a limited life expectancy.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Apr 25, 2017, 17:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, huge sale on Drox Operative. It might be time for me to finally buy that... supposedly it's the best of the Soldak games?

I played the demo a bit and it seems like I could easily drop 80 hours into it.

News Comments > Outlast 2 Tomorrow; New Trailers
2. Re: Outlast 2 Tomorrow; New Trailers Apr 25, 2017, 08:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

I liked the first one, but I think I've reached my limit for "Run for Your Life" simulators, aka no way to fight back, aside from the occasional scripted enemy death.

Pass, until it's on a pretty significant sale.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins
21. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 15:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, based on the comment*s* in this thread, I think I'll skip buying this new; I'll wait a couple of months for patches/price drop. The queue is overflowing anyway.

Plus they are missing all the fun races, so that'll be a DLC swarm at some point... it might even push me back until they do a GotY version.

*EDIT* comments, my bad.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2017, 18:42.

News Comments > New Paragon Hero Next Week
2. Re: New Paragon Hero Next Week Apr 21, 2017, 18:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Why is this game failing? The character art is ridiculously good, it looks vaguely appealing gameplay wise, and I don't even like MOBAs at all.

Of course, I did get some free Paragon Gold or whatever with a video card, still haven't even used it...

News Comments > Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins
1. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 21, 2017, 18:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Please don't be shit, please don't be shit...

I'm looking forward to this game, despite all the warning signs. *Sigh.*

News Comments > Activision Classics on Steam
12. Re: Activision Classics on Steam Apr 19, 2017, 23:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dev wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 22:35:
Keep in mind this vampire game is NOT the one that gets updated all the time. This is the really old one before that.

Yeah, it's the better one.

Opinions will differ of course, but I liked this 4 player party one over the solo Bloodlines.

3373 Comments. 169 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo