Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 3130 (Veteran)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced
40. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 20:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 16:00:
I'd prefer 6 to 5, but it's not a deal killer for me. I do hope they have a good explanation as to why...

Same, but apparently they have based their whole design around five.

Offical forum thread

“We’ve been playing with a five-character party for most of development and really like how encounters work with that size,” Urquhart said. I can see how this came about — six characters can be cumbersome, while four can seem … limiting. Five enables for you to cover every major RPG role — tank, damage-dealer, ranged, magic, and healing — while still giving the player room to experiment with character builds.

I did notice in my email, a $5 off coupon for Fig, for the $29 and up package, so I'll definitely get in at $24 at least, before funding closes. A constant barrage of 6 man party requests will go on their forums as well.

*EDIT* Phrasing!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 15:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 13:55:
They've (easily) surpassed their 1.1m goal, so I suspect they'll have alternate funding methods up very soon...

Yeah, I was leery of using Fig, at least without a Paypal option or something. Passing their goal in less than 24 hours, I can hold off a bit before I buy the cheap-ass $29 version.

*EDIT* Also apparently 5 is the official party size, the cursed fools! Message board pleading has commenced on their forums.

News Comments > CAYNE for Free
2. Re: CAYNE for Free Jan 27, 2017, 15:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Excellent. STASIS was really good, if somewhat low budget. Adding CAYNE to the never ending queue.

Steam reviews are indicating this clocks in somewhere around 2-4 hours long, in case people were wondering.

15. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 26, 2017, 23:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 21:51:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 21:43:
One thing though: Obsidian, DO NOT REDUCE THE MAX PARTY SIZE BELOW 6. Do not listen to the 4 man party heathens! Aside from that, hooray!

Someone is claiming 5 in the comments, but not saying where they heard it. Obsidian just answered with a "you'll see soon" answer.

5, I don't mind. But anything below that I'd be curious about (and not in a great way, without a good explanation).

edit: Looking at this image, I'm thinking it's 5, assuming the pirate in the middle is an enemy.

Ugh, I was afraid of that, after Tyranny's 4 man party, where the game did pretty well and it wasn't immediately protested with pitchforks and torches.

6 is classic, allows for nice class combos, 4 or less is just an insult. 5 just might as well be six, at that point. Hopefully they stick with the PoEt 1 setup, but apparently I'm going to have to start pre-emptively bombarding their forums.

10. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 26, 2017, 21:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 20:46:
Pillars of Eternity one of the highest-rated PC games of all time.

Yeah, in what universe is that a reality? PoE sucked.

Don't be bitter, PoEt was great for most people.

I'm glad they are going with continuing the Watcher's story, even though it might be a higher level campaign. I don't mind high level stuff personally, although I know that pisses some people off, to be fighting demigods and dragons all the time.

I know it's quite far from complete, but their general descriptions in the video sound mostly positive. One thing though: Obsidian, DO NOT REDUCE THE MAX PARTY SIZE BELOW 6. Do not listen to the 4 man party heathens! Aside from that, hooray!

*EDIT* Ugh, Fig, yet another crowdfunding platform. Oh well, I'll still contribute.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 16:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mumps making a comeback in Spokane, Washington. Good job not vaccinating your children, idiots.

Mumps was 99% of the way to being eradicated since the vaccine came out in 1967, but hey, let's turn our backs on decades of science for some bullshit you read on Facebook about vaccines and autism.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if humanity even deserves to survive, long term. People are simply too easily misled and just make irrational choices, repeatedly.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 26, 2017, 00:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

Crypt of the NecroDancer... the music is good, game design is excellent, I just have no rhythm, and am terrible at the game.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 25, 2017, 23:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Saboth wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 22:44:
Trump before election: Hillary's using nongovernmental email - lock her up! Hillary is in cahoots with Goldman Sachs! Hillary can be bought by foreign powers!

Trump after election: Trump uses unsecured phone, his administration is using nongovernmental emails. Trump fills his cabinet with Goldman Sachs executives. Trump brags about foreign powers trying to bribe him, while refusing to divest from his companies.

Look look, ignore all that, Trump is going to build a wall to keep you safe from Mexicans, okay?

The real victim these past few years has been the concept of Hypocrisy.

News Comments > Prey in May
3. Re: Prey in May Jan 25, 2017, 23:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

This actually looks really good, I'm down for at least a sale price buy.

Am I the only one that didn't like the original Prey game that much? It irks me slightly that they are using the same title, but Human Head studios is still around, doing other things, and they never owned the IP anyway. Plus it's been like 11 years.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 25, 2017, 07:24 MoreLuckThanSkill

You know you're behind in your queue when the second sequel comes out is announced to a game you haven't even finished yet.

I need to just burn through Banner Saga, the music and art are great, the gameplay just isn't cutting it for me though.

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 biohazard Released
17. Re: Resident Evil 7 biohazard Released Jan 24, 2017, 17:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 17:11:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 16:45:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 16:01:
Oh yeah, loot crates and hard machine saves are back.

Hard machine saves? You mean the 'find the room with a typewriter' mechanic, and limited 'save ribbons,' or something else?

Also, every game needs crates or barrels to smash.

Out of all gaming genres, removing progress saving in a horror game would make the experience even scarier.

I don't know, I'm not a fan of the limited saves mechanic, simply because real life interrupts too often it seems when I'm playing some game that tries to go 'old school.' Hopefully by the time I buy this, there are some patches or mods out to normalize saves, if it's still an issue.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 16:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

descender wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 16:01:

Manufacturing jobs returning to Middle America is and always has been a total pipe dream. You can't turn back the clock on globalization.

Globalization and automation, as you said above. Even if somehow tariffs worked perfectly, they STILL would not bring back the sheer number of jobs to the US. You're looking at under 10% of the workforce required for any given factory job usually, the better the automation. The world in general needs to realize that relatively soon, there simply won't be enough jobs(actual life supporting jobs, not part time bagging grocery jobs) for everyone, and some sort of social welfare/minimum income will be the norm.

15. Re: Resident Evil 7 biohazard Released Jan 24, 2017, 16:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 16:01:
Oh yeah, loot crates and hard machine saves are back.

Hard machine saves? You mean the 'find the room with a typewriter' mechanic, and limited 'save ribbons,' or something else?

Also, every game needs crates or barrels to smash.

7. Re: Resident Evil 7 biohazard Released Jan 24, 2017, 13:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks pretty good; I'll definitely get it on sale, at the very least.

If this does reasonably well, I wonder if it'll make any other larger studios do VR focused games... seems like there are plenty of small VR games, but nothing approaching this kind of budget.

News Comments > Diablo III Postmortem
20. Re: Diablo III Postmortem Jan 24, 2017, 08:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I don't like the direction Diablo 3 went in, or the AH nonsense it started with, but I definitely got my money's worth out of the game and expansion.

I also beat vanilla Inferno on my Witch Doctor with a yellow weapon and MAYBE 2-3 legendary armor pieces? Woohoo!

It's easy to bash Jay Wilson now, but honestly, aside from the AH, many of his choices were good, compared to the things the D3 team is doing these days. I'm looking at you, Seasonal bullshit, and Legendary set focus.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 22, 2017, 15:24 MoreLuckThanSkill

Very interesting article about the human eye...especially the bit about Rufen vanRullen and the 13hz EEG results. I'll use the 'phenomenological experience' argument in the future though, to justify my 144hz monitor and whatever refresh rate comes out when this one dies.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jan 19, 2017, 21:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, what to wipe off the SSD for XCOM2 Long War 2... bargain bin Star Wars Battlefront, you win!

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 19, 2017, 01:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 21:32:
I played PoE now for 15 hours again.. found 3 uniques.. they were not in any way fitting my playstyle or class (as in STR/INT when I needed VIT/DEX)

Best equipment I wear is crafted from high iLvl normal items which already have the fitting stats for my class.. YAY.. that is to me, not fun. (Also it can end up again, with STR/INT when you need DEX/VIT) PoE has an absurd crafting grind to match up dmg above lvl 29+. I am a huge ARPG fan, but PoE just repeatedly, even though I gave it 5 chances now, leaves me cold. I can't get into the story, I find the loot system unrewarding and boring, and I could say the same for Grim Dark. Such hope for these games, but none of em offer the kind of ARPG I want. (Neither does D3, but it gets close enough sometimes)

The quest for the perfect ARPG. This is the true end game.

Good luck, let me know if you find one. I'm still having fun with Grim Dawn, but I'm utterly burned out on D3, and never got really sucked into PoE, despite putting quite a bit of time into it, during beta and release. Still, Grim Dawn clearly has flaws and budget issues.

Maybe Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem will end up being the killer ARPG?

Maybe Vikings: Wolves of Midgard?

I think every ARPG is going to get stale eventually, either because the developers bow to the elitists/traders, like in Path of Exile, or to Efficiency addicts like Blizzard did for D3. Grim Dawn at least you can mod, but it's admittedly not end user friendly. Crate is going to release 2 more classes for Grim Dawn relatively soon(sometime this year), and there is a small mod scene, plus Grim Dawn's version of Defiler, so you can play around with certain aspects of the game.

Torchlight 2 arguably had some of the best design decisions for an ARPG, but the loot got boring, the graphics turned some people off, the class abilities weren't that great, so it fizzled pretty quickly.

Even though ARPGs are on the surface pretty simple, designing a REALLY good one seems to be extremely difficult. People will bring up D2, but go back and play the vanilla version of that game and tell me it doesn't have serious issues. Nostalgia glasses all over the place for any D2 discussion.

More on topic for the actual article: good luck to the PoE guys, hope they make some decent cash on consoles, but I'm done with that game.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 12:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Regrets over aspects of previous HL games, does a Reddit AMA, discusses moving all Valve projects to the Source 2 engine.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 18, 2017, 08:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

Holy shit, this game looks great! Although, I loved how Jotun looked and sounded, but the actual gameplay wasn't that great to me, hrm.

Coin flip time, maybe, though I'm tempted to just support these guys.

3130 Comments. 157 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo