Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 2588 (Senior)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale May 16, 2016, 21:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, might be time to finally break down and buy Witcher 3. Gog deals aren't bad at this point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
1. Re: Overwatch Trailer May 16, 2016, 21:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Blizzard's clip team is amazing, they should have just rolled all their Overwatch MMO movies into a full length film, forget the game.

Sounds like Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as the narrator, Hiroyuki Sanada as the bow guy, possibly.

Every CGI clip I've seen from this game is outstanding. Too bad (for me at least) that I didn't end up liking the game too much.

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
16. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 15:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nucas wrote on May 16, 2016, 13:28:

oh?

Hrm, that looks great! Hopefully they post that full movie online after their convention/presentation.

As far as System Shock Remastered (not the Enhanced one) I'm definitely down to buy it on release, not sure if I will contirbute to the kickstarter yet.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked?
4. Re: Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked? May 16, 2016, 11:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

All I need to be on decent sales are XCOM2 and Stellaris. Somehow I expect neither one will get much of a discount though.

News Comments > Steam Top Seven
5. Re: Steam Top Seven May 15, 2016, 16:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Personally I like Stellaris a lot more than Stellaris, I'm not sure how they are even that close on the sales list.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Movies, Civil War May 14, 2016, 13:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Captain America: Civil War was very well done, from a comic-movie standpoint. From a comic fan standpoint, you might be extremely annoyed at what they did with a classic Captain America villain.

In spite of being extremely well done, the whole movie suffers from that classic plot cliche that has plagued comic books for decades... all these fights among heroes could have been avoided if they just spent like 3 minutes discussing the situation. But no, men and women of action need to immediately start punching each other.

Also, Black Widow used one move, a very ridiculous move that anybody with martial arts experience will know as bullshit vs a bigger opponent, at least four to five times. I was a bit embarrassed for whoever the fight choreographer is. It was a shame, because a lot of the fight work was pretty good.

Saw the 2d version, haven't been overly impressed with any 3d movie at all, to be honest, with the possible exception of Avatar.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Videogames so tough they teach you to win in real life... May 14, 2016, 13:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

... or they make you so full of rage(Darksouls!) that you smash your controller/console/computer, and verbally express that rage to your family and coworkers...

News Comments > DOOM Released
113. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 13:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2016, 12:54:
Is it possible to shoot only a single barrel of the super shotgun or are you forced to shoot both of them at once? This is actually super important for me

You shoot both barrels at once, no single shot option found yet. However there is an upgrade to shoot twice before reloading (4 total shells expended), which at least gives you an option before the slow reload.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. May 14, 2016, 13:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 14, 2016, 08:06:
So...how is it?

Playing on Ultra Violence setting:

Single player is arguably very good to great. Player and monster speeds are fast, the maps have a good deal of vertical complexity, and the AI seems to actually be able to use the terrain and have preferences, ie. imps will like to shoot down on you from any pillar or high platform, but if they get caught near you will go melee, etc. Possessed marines side strafe a bit, Hell Knights charge and do AoE slams.

Graphics are very slick, even on my 6 year old desktop, controls feel tight. Unlock system for weapon mods and upgrades is... okay. I like the mods, but the way to get unlock 'points' involves scouring the maps. I have my weapons set to my old school Numpad buttons around my movement keys, and upgraded weapon switching so it is extremely fast. It's easy to combo/juggle/stun larger enemies with the weapon switch speed(upgraded).

The melee execution system can be totally ignored if you don't like it, but it's there to give health and ammo pickups if you need to resupply. Any execution will drop health, some will drop ammo. Chainsaw kills drop a ton of ammo. So far I find it pretty amusing and use it to top off the hp.

Negatives: Checkpoint based Save system. It hadn't been a problem for me at all, until I got to an extremely annoying jump puzzle on level 5 or 6. If you fail the last jump, you have to redo the entire bridge, which is quite a bit of jumping and combat in and of itself. On the plus side, the unlocks you get during those failed attempts (weapons etc.) seem to be saved. Also, it seems to be possible to miss some secrets (and thus unlock points) in the first 4-5 levels, and be cutoff from those if you progress too far into the level. I am not sure yet if replaying the map lets you earn those later on, and STILL keep your progression in a later map. Didn't want to try it yet and lose like 4-5 map levels worth of progress.

Personal Negative: OCD kicks in if I scratch my armor or hp by some explosion or attack I should have avoided. I'm saving up armor pickups like they are platinum bars, just like I used to in Doom 1&2.

You are fast enough to dodge everything except for the 'sniper' enemy fire as far as I can tell so far, based on the enemies I've encountered up until now. So quick twitch is nicely rewarded.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. May 14, 2016, 01:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Retired wrote on May 14, 2016, 01:07:
Skip intro didn't work for me. Anyone else have issues?

Same, although I put them in without quotes, I'll try with quotes, etc.

Looking at their other commands, it should probably be:

+com_skipIntroVideo 1, not just +com_skipIntroVideo.

Reasoning: com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1, +set m_smooth 0, they all seem to be boolean toggles.

*EDIT* yep, works with +com_skipIntroVideo 1

This comment was edited on May 14, 2016, 01:41.

News Comments > DOOM Released
10. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 11:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wallshadows wrote on May 13, 2016, 10:21:
For anyone who does get it, please let us know how the single player portion of the game is. I wouldn't buy this for the multi but I might for the campaign...

Bought it through cdkeys.com, based on recommendations for that site in another Doom thread. Process involved a text message sent to my cell phone, but the game key and dlc key both arrived minutes after I bought it for $34.99 (no tax) and worked in Steam.

Played about 3 hours so far last night, until I started getting too tired to aim properly. So far the single player seems great, although clearly I need to slow down and look around, I've missed a ton of secrets and unlocks according to the end map summaries.

The few weapons, mods and upgrades I have so far feel great, the execution system is pretty unobtrusive, and it seems useful so far, as far as replenishing health/ammo based on how you do executions. Movement speed of your character and the enemies seems perfect, very fast for some enemies and they maneuver over the terrain a lot more vertically than I expected, in a good way.

I installed it on a 6 year old desktop with a R7970 and SSD, 8gb , i7 860 at 2.8ghz, runs at High to max settings at 50fps or so when there are a lot of enemies around, 80fps when I'm running through a cleared map.

I also installed it on a laptop with comparable stats, slightly faster procesor, but a Nvidia M650, it gets about 12 fps on the LOWEST possible graphic settings. Feels like a driver issue, but both systems have the newest driver available as of last night.

Note: Neither system ran the game until I upgraded video card drivers. Either at all, or it'd lock up during loading.

Still, very enjoyable so far, I'm debating calling in sick to work to just play all day.

News Comments > Save 50%
7. Re: Save 50% May 12, 2016, 20:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

PHJF wrote on May 12, 2016, 20:14:
Failed my save.

I need more Con.

Jesus saves, vs acid damage.

Someone notify Blue immediately of this typo!

News Comments > 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta
3. Re: 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta May 12, 2016, 20:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Played it for a couple hours, felt a bit underwhelmed honestly. It felt quite polished and very responsive, but it still felt like a game I've already put like 400 hours into, couldn't be bothered to try to get pub 6 teams to try to play together at all.

Have fun though, those of you that enjoyed it. Pretty much my entire Blizzard friends' list bought it already, they will have millions of players easily.

News Comments > DOOM Trailers
26. Re: DOOM Trailers May 12, 2016, 11:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Okay, I gave in and bought Doom through cdkeys.com. I assume my identity is being pillaged as we speak.

Keys for the game and the one DLC pack seem to have worked in Steam though.

10. Re: DOOM Trailers May 11, 2016, 23:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2016, 22:54:

Remember too, cdkeys.com has it for $35.

Wtf, that's damn cheap for pre-release. How reliable/sketchy is cdkeys.com?

Aka, are they trying to outdo G2A in their shadiness?

cdkeys.com isn't even listed on isthereanydeal.com, come on now.

Hrm, they also want a cell phone number to send a code to.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2016, 23:51.

2. Re: DOOM Trailers May 11, 2016, 21:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

ItBurn wrote on May 11, 2016, 21:24:
Ugh, I really want to buy it, regardless of all the bad things about it. It takes willpower to wait for reviews.

The single player looks like it'll be a ton of fun. I have yet to see any of the previews complaining about massive amounts of bugs, use a GMG coupon if you really want it day one.

I think I'll wait a bit, but just because I'm so behind already on games. One more on the pile I won't get to for months as it is, makes it a bit easier for me to wait.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 10, 2016, 10:31 MoreLuckThanSkill

These are great, but he's also doing homage/ripoffs of very famous real photographs, as he admits in the video. Of course this is a side project for him, he does a lot of other photography as well, but it diminished the project a bit for me.

Some company somewhere does make miniature folding metal chairs for Storm Troopers and GI Joes though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2016, 10:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on May 10, 2016, 10:22:
Innocent Looking Stream Is A Death Trap.

Something about that guys face makes me want to ignore him. He pops up on digg all the time, with that same damn look on his face...

Don't judge a book by his cover, or a somewhat stuffy British guy buy his face!

He actually makes pretty informative and interesting videos, if you can overcome your aversion to his mug.

News Comments > Stellaris Sales Record
2. Re: Stellaris Sales Record May 10, 2016, 10:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

This may have been updated by Blue after the fact, Timmeh, but:

" Paradox Interactive announces that Stellaris has broken the company's record for first-day sales: "

has a Steam link. Overwhelmingly Positive so far, I'll get it eventually.

News Comments > Overwatch Open Beta Overtime
17. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Overtime May 9, 2016, 01:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Installed and played a couple hours of this, after friends and associates claimed it was great...

unfortunately, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I shouldn't support Blizzard's hodge-podge game, but I think I'm probably going to buy it. Mowing people down with Bastion, smashing fools with the various tanks, sniping a bit, even healing was entertaining.

I haven't played enough to really get a feel for balance, but it doesn't seem completely ridiculous, aside from the one character's missile spam attack.

2588 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo