Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 4309 (Master)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
32. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 2, 2018, 18:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

"Nyaneave fidgets, and tugs at her braid." x 10,000. Wheel of Time needed a harsher editor so badly, it was infuriating.

*EDIT* Hrmm...
The series is exec produced by Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon of Red Eagle Entertainment...

Larry Mondragon... al'Lan Mondragoran(full name of a WoT character)...coincidence... I think not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2018, 12:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

That New Zealand fine is annoying but not uncommon. Anybody traveling anywhere outside their home country and back should consider traveling only with sanitized phones/laptops. Physically mail storage devices to yourself to show up while you're there if you really need it, or connect to servers after you land.

As RedEye9 mentioned, the US does the same thing, with potentially added jail time or expulsion, as well as the UK, and... hrm, what countries do not do digital searches at the border again? Wasn't Canada in the news recently about their border service doing that?

Brave New World, etc.

News Comments > The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties
6. Re: The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties Oct 2, 2018, 11:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Clearly Sapkowski made a mistake back in the day, everybody said it then when the Witcher 1 did well. I wonder how it'll go in Polish court though, I'm not overly familiar with their copyright law or how their courts usually respond to this sort of thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if CDProjekt RED has to pay some amount, even though they are in the moral and originally legal right.

Maybe shakedowns like this work over there? Aka Poland courts are basically like Texas courts for favorable IP scam lawsuits.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 2, 2018, 05:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Oh, no, Valve banned Bitcoin Miner, the game! Wtf, Steam needs to get a rework to prevent this shit being on there in the first place. I wonder how many shit asset-flip games are just running cryptocurrency miners in the background these days.

The next obvious question is, who is buying this shit in the first place?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2018, 18:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nice to see Pathfinder:Kingmaker doing that well, although the game definitely needs a few more patches and some encounter balancing... some insane difficulty spikes and supremely un-optimized default companions.

Mods will help a lot, though. Mainly a Re-roll NPC mod.

News Comments > Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss
10. Re: Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss Sep 30, 2018, 18:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow, regardless of hindsight, it must be nice in a way, to be able to just 'misplace' $3 million dollars for months/years and not even notice.

I wasn't picturing Gearbox as that successful of a company, at least one big enough to have that kind of cash just evaporate without being noticed.

4. Re: etc., etc. Sep 29, 2018, 12:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

What the hell, how did that phrasing get past ANYBODY at Valve, let alone out to the public? Talk about blindspots.

News Comments > Diluvion: Resubmerged Surfaces
1. Re: Diluvion: Resubmerged Surfaces Sep 29, 2018, 09:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nice, I bought this way back when on some sale, I'm glad they haven't abandoned it. Sounds like some good additions.  

News Comments > Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released
9. Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released Sep 28, 2018, 14:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

It's a little late and this is off the first page, but hoo boy, is this game rough around the edges. Expect to get wiped in normal. Expect to NOT have tool tips for vital information like certain monsters are immune to all of your weapons and abilities, you silly fool, where is your AoE caster, or your silver sword, etc.

It has a ton of potential, but I think I might just shelve my current run and wait a few weeks for patches. My PC = Rogue Knife master, does a ton of damage, but enemy damage is so high he sometimes gets instakilled by ranged/caster enemies even on normal. The Tower Shield NPC doesn't fare much better. Battles are winnable but practically every encounter would be a boss fight in another game.

Random party of bandits? They have perfect rolls on perfect builds, AoE fear casting necromancers, warriors and rogues who don't miss, etc. Also you start surrounded by their party if you get ambushed on the world map. Don't even try to kill a named Worg when you first encounter it for example.

10 lbs for ONE ration, for one person, and Encumberance matters on default settings.

I could go on and on, the game has a ton of potential, but it needs a few patches(lost a few saves already due to release day bug) and probably some fine tuning or at least modability. Step 1, Rations weigh 0. Step two, toggle to change Permanent Strength/Dex damage abilities on random spiders and insects to timed... wow.

News Comments > Deep Sky Derelicts Released
5. Re: SOS Early Access Sep 27, 2018, 09:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

It's a lot less random than Darkest Dungeon, at least in terms of rolls. I have yet to be pissed off by one of my guys whiffing 5 times while a random level 0 enemy hits my guy with 3 crits, etc.

Different style game, you have 3 characters at a time, each has a based class type, and some weapons/equipment, each of which can have up to two mods(so far?). Each equipment/weapon/mod gives 1 or more cards, which seem to be drawn somewhat randomly in combat. Maps seem to be FAR larger than Darkest Dungeon, although a lot of empty rooms, vs combat or trap in almost every room in DD.

The card aspect is better than I had thought it would be, you can tailor your scavengers reasonably well.

Definitely a lower working budget than Darkest Dungeon, although the comic book style art works for me. Make an attack/do an action, get a little pop up of that action. Battles are a take a turn style, for you and the enemy, better initiative = go earlier, type of thing.

*Disclaimer: I loved the atmosphere, visuals and sound of Darkest Dungeon, wasn't overly enamored with its gameplay.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I don't have a ton of time in it.

*EDIT* jdreyer, no base building, it's all about your team. I've cleared like 5 space hulks abandoned ships and still have my first 3 guys, one guy has been knocked out so far but I got him back to the medbay before he died(??) Extra characters are very expensive, and outfitting them to match the rest of my team seems financially unfeasible so far. All my cash goes into upgrades for Scanning/Energy, supplies, some items and mods, healing the team, etc.

Combat randomness is definitely coming into play as everybody is full up on items and mods, and with a few levels, you also get cards based on class, so there's probably a Optimal strategy out there to have the smallest pool of the BEST cards somehow, which will be a little hard with random cards spawning on a given item/mod. Actual hitting in combat is a lot more forgiving than Darkest Dungeon because of this.

I miss the Darkest Dungeon announcer/crypt guy, but there is definitely a little bit of DD influence in a lot of aspects of this game. They just went in another direction with the actual combat.

tl,dr: Definitely worth the $15-18 or whatever I spent on it a few months back. If you loved Darkest Dungeon, you will be slightly disappointed probably, it's not Darkest Dungeon in space.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2018, 16:10.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2018, 21:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Silly ass humans, getting right in the way of a predator claiming his tentacled prey. The seal was so shocked he dropped the octopus and swam off, hopefully he got something to eat elsewhere.

I liked the kayak guide paddling over quickly, making sure he wasn't about to get himself sued out of business.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2018, 21:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2018, 20:33:
That Ashit Pai is a true friend of the people*

*Large Corporations

Pai seems like a legitimate sociopath, although I know they rate that on a scale now. He seems to have no qualms whatsoever about giving corporations whatever they want at the expense of actual citizens.

News Comments > Deep Sky Derelicts Released
1. Re: Deep Sky Derelicts Released Sep 26, 2018, 21:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sweet, I love this art style, although it's pretty much a ripoff of Mike Mignola art(comics) and Darkest Dungeon, that's a great style to lift from.

Bought this on Gog during it's EA period, on sale awhile back, have to bump it up the queue along with Pathfinder:Kingmaker.

5. Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released Sep 25, 2018, 23:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 21:56:

Have you done Tower of Time? I still got to get over to that one as well, haven't does PoeT2 yet either.

I have it, I've put about 10 hours into it, I'm not overly fond of the combat to be honest. The game is pretty interesting but I think the way they set up the combat is going to kill it for me. Every combat 'room' spawns enemies at the extremes of the map, so you either wait in one spot for them to slowly amble over, or run back and forth with your team to smash MANY weak enemies... I don't know, maybe it gets better later, but it doesn't feel like it's for me.

1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 25, 2018, 21:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

I REALLY hope some modders take those Paragon models and do something really cool with them... the Paragon art was NOT a weakness for that game, damn.

Isometric, team based, RPG with really diverse powered team, with sick Unreal 4 models, how sweet could that be?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 25, 2018, 21:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 19:44:
They'll have to block the President.

Seriously, by their ToS, he should arguably already be blocked. What a time to be alive.

News Comments > Anthem Alpha
3. Re: Anthem Alpha Sep 25, 2018, 21:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 20:59:
Doesn't alpha mean that you can play the game from beginning to end, and all the systems are in place? ie. everything is there, it's just super buggy, unoptimized, and generally a mess... but everything's there.

Seems like that's the bulk of production time leading to alpha. But every studio seems to have their own definition of what Alpha means...?

This is what Alpha should mean, hopefully that's the case.

Not to be confused with all the Early Access Alpha and Betas that are still missing content yet released to the (limited) public.

I'm still tentatively interested in Anthem, at least as a coop ARPG type game. This or Borderlands 3, or Division 2, will be the next big coop game for my group probably. Hopefully.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II Expansion and Patch
1. Re: Pillars of Eternity II Expansion and Patch Sep 25, 2018, 21:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, interesting. I already finished my first PoEt 2 run though, I'll probably wait until all these smaller DLCs come out and get patched up, before starting another run through.

Plus Pathfinder:Kingmaker and Bard's Tale IV...

3. Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released Sep 25, 2018, 21:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

The RPG cup overfloweth, Bard's Tale IV, Pathfinder:Kingmaker, DLC for PoEt 2... it's looking good. No crazy bug complaints yet either, although I may wait a few weeks to really get into either BT4 or P:K.

Backed both, chose Gog keys for both.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 25, 2018, 16:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

Good thing we have these trusty agencies to prevent monopolies. Oh wait, that sort of consumer protection went out of the US in the 70s.

4309 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo