Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 4307 (Master)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2018, 12:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

Interesting project, but it looks borderline unplayable, to be honest.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steel Rats Next Month
3. Re: Steel Rats Next Month Oct 7, 2018, 23:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 15:59:
Bleh, want a game about The Stainless Steel Rat.

I loved those books when I was a kid, but I think that they are just a little too old to be made into anything approaching a game by the current crop of developers. There no movies or TV shows, so they've kinda fallen out of the public view. Also, a Stainless Steel Rat game would impossible to get right, tone wise.

More on topic, this game looks somewhat interesting, in a short lived sort of way.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2018, 18:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 16:39:
Ahh republicans, never a greater hive of scum, villainy, and stupidity. A sociopathic con man in the White House and another right-wing drunken rapist on the SCOTUS. Welcome to the Idiocracy. Have you had your Brawndo today? S'up scro?!

We'd be lucky to get UP to the point of Idiocracy. They at least had universal health care, universal basic income, government run food production, and a government that actually valued intelligence. We're headed more towards Mad Max Thunderdome territory.

By comparison Idiocracy is going to look positively utopian pretty soon.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 7, 2018, 18:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Holy shit, when will people stop buying Apple hardware? That shit has been a joke in terms of quality for years now.

Holy shit, who knew selling in-game cosmetics to children could be so lucrative? Oh right, the mobile industry for the past decade.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2018, 18:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

GinRummy wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 15:37:
I look forward to the day when the entire list is made of games with titles IN FULL CAPS!

That's probably only a few months away, realistically.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2018, 13:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 13:04:
Sorry dems, but just like healthcare, those things are good for the common man and will never get past the gop.

Sorry RedEye9, but somebody has to take care of those poor, suffering, multi-billion dollar international corporations!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2018, 13:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Aside from the obvious weirdness of Ass Creed Odyssey, it's nice to see Pathfinder:Kingmaker on there. That game will be amazing when it gets patched up a bit more. It's impressive now, but I shelved it until they fix some things/balance some other things, etc.

Also, clearly Steam China is being felt on this list, as is the PlunkBat banwave.

News Comments > Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing?
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 7, 2018, 13:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 11:14:
Zarkonis wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 10:20:
And those of you saying "I won't be bothering", then why bother posting?

What else are we supposed to discuss in a teaser thread aside from whether or not we are actually looking forward to the thing teased? If you only want to hear from people who agree with you, why bother having a discussion thread at all?

Clearly, there are not enough echo chambers on the internet!

BG3, in D:OS style engine... hrm that could be amazing. Or, the inXile/Beamdog/Obsidian side of the coin, I still love real time with pausing, so either way, I'll probably be required by international treaty to buy whatever game gets made.

Now, if only there was enough time to actually play all these games that are coming out...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: A little trip... Oct 6, 2018, 00:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

Okay, I never watch these, but how does it take a 19 minute video to do "Everything Wrong" with any movie? That's just excessive. Trim that shit down to like 5 minutes, buddy.

News Comments > Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing?
11. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 00:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm. As a barely recovering BG2/BG1 addict, I will no doubt get suckered in to buying a BG3. I've been playing Pathfinder:Kingmaker and while it has some amazing things going on, it's just making me really want to do another BG complete run through with mods. Also P:K is buggy as hell, wait until at least October 22nd and the tuning patch.

inXile, Beamdog, probably not Larian, I'm most likely in. Damn their nostalgia targeting!

Really though, the Baldur's Gate team is cast to the winds, retired, dead, working elsewhere, etc. It doesn't mean they can't make a great game, but it's not exactly getting the old band back together.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Free on GOG.com
29. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Free on GOG.com Oct 5, 2018, 19:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hump wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 18:36:
The procedural aspect turned the game into a fucking bore. I bought it but never finished it. I enjoyed their first one (reboot) so much more

This is reasonably fair criticism, I finished this game, but yeah, it got a little grindy for my liking. Of course it's finishable without doing a ton of grinding, but yes, it's encouraged by the design.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Free on GOG.com
6. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Free on GOG.com Oct 4, 2018, 22:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 20:20:
"We really shook the Pillars of Heaven, didn't we, Wang?"

That's easily one of my favorite movies, all time. Supposedly they were trying to wreck people's childhoods again with a remake starring The Rock, but I haven't heard anything about that in awhile.

News Comments > The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties
49. Re: The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties Oct 3, 2018, 22:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Drayth wrote on Oct 3, 2018, 21:03:
Ex-CD Project Red Employee gives some background.

Thanks for that, some interesting backstory in that video!

If I remember correctly, I had heard about the Witcher game, but before I played it, I bought the first couple english translated Witcher novels and read them, then went to the game. So Sapkowski most likely got some novel based dollars from me purely because of the buzz about the game. Too bad he sounds like a jackass.

*EDIT* More importantly, worst case scenario, if CD ProjektRED had to pay $16 million, I would think by now they can do that from their petty cash box without much difficulty. They have to defend themselves of course, but I don't see it affecting their company in any real way, financially.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 3, 2018, 21:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

I don't believe he flat out said you need 10 years+ experience to be successful, just that your odds of success in his non-scientific sampling indicate the odds will be against you with less experience.

I thought it was a decent article; plenty of Kickstarter/crowd funded/Early Access games going nowhere fast. Steam is littered with EA projects that are basically abandoned.

However this problem won't go away anytime soon; it's the same reason you see people opening up restaurants, somehow thinking their cooking at home skills translate into being able to run a business with a dozen or more employees serving hundreds or more people, in a cutthroate industry that doesn't have much room for failure/sloppiness at all.

You have a better chance at becoming a successful musician than a successful game designer, statistically.

News Comments > Orwell Free on Steam
1. Re: Orwell Free on Steam Oct 3, 2018, 19:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Added. Surprisingly glowing reviews on Steam; yet another game to add to the play queue.

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week
18. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week Oct 3, 2018, 19:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, interesting. Since it's free to WotC owners, I'll probably try it at some point(got WotC on sale a few months back), but I just got done with a long campaign like a month or two ago, and it's all about the RPGs right now.

Hopefully they put the rest of the DLC on sale about the same time, I never picked up the Alien Hunters one, but I'd be interested at half price or so, most likely.

*EDIT* Typo.

News Comments > PUBG Bans a Nation's Worth of Cheaters
7. Re: PUBG Bans a Nation's Worth of Cheaters Oct 2, 2018, 21:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow, 13 million? That's gotta be a record for any online game, in terms of actual cheater bans.

A rather dubious honor, but still.

P.S. Offtopic: finally broke down and bought a decent keyboard(compared to the 5 dollar ones I've used for 30 years), a Gigabyte K83 mechanical keyboard. Wow, is it sweet.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2018, 18:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 12:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 11:17:
The great USofA is no different. but whatevs.

The only significant difference, and I think it is an important one, is that I cannot be forced to give up a PIN in the States. It is legally protected. In NZ, the law states that you are required to give it up.

In the story you linked, the individual in question voluntarily gave up his access key (in this case, a "passcode" as the article calls it). He was not obligated by statute to do so. The fact that he folded under pressure and did so is irrelevant.

"We won't let you into the country, or release you from custody, until you give us your PIN. 'Voluntarily.' " *Border Patrol agent makes air quotes*

Seems like a rather pointless 'difference' to try to argue about.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
32. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 2, 2018, 18:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

"Nyaneave fidgets, and tugs at her braid." x 10,000. Wheel of Time needed a harsher editor so badly, it was infuriating.

*EDIT* Hrmm...
The series is exec produced by Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon of Red Eagle Entertainment...

Larry Mondragon... al'Lan Mondragoran(full name of a WoT character)...coincidence... I think not.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2018, 12:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

That New Zealand fine is annoying but not uncommon. Anybody traveling anywhere outside their home country and back should consider traveling only with sanitized phones/laptops. Physically mail storage devices to yourself to show up while you're there if you really need it, or connect to servers after you land.

As RedEye9 mentioned, the US does the same thing, with potentially added jail time or expulsion, as well as the UK, and... hrm, what countries do not do digital searches at the border again? Wasn't Canada in the news recently about their border service doing that?

Brave New World, etc.

4307 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo