Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheVocalMinority

Real Name TheVocalMinority   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheVocalMinority
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 1, 2009, 04:01
Total Comments 175 (Novice)
User ID 54734

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 28, 2015, 23:34 TheVocalMinority

bigspender wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 19:18:
I'm not sure I see the big deal in this. I'm driving the car out in public after all, if somebody followed me and made notes I'd think it's weird, but I couldn't care less otherwise.

I wouldn't want it to be recording my conversations or recording me while I pick my nose at the traffic lights, but other than that, why are people so opposed to it? (genuine curious)

I didn't read TFA so I'm not sure what the issue is for these particular people. I suspect their objections to be a bit hypocritical given that they are probably quite happy to use privacy destrying malware and carry around devices that are tracking their every move.

The harms that come more generally from a loss of privacy have been talked about a lot, if you are generally curious I'm sure you can type "privacy harms" into google to find out what people think (and I'm sure the fact that google is also tracking you isn't going to bother you either). My favourite talk on the topic is by Eban Moglen and called "There is no first law of robotics".

But otherwise let me ask you this - you draw a line between someone following you around taking notes as being OK but recording your conversations or photograhing you picking your nose not being OK. What is it about these latter things that makes them the kind of Surveillance you object to?

VM
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 23, 2015, 21:35 TheVocalMinority

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 11:56:
Dude, you're not in Vietnam anymore and you know damn well the rest of the planet isn't going to change to accommodate you so change your name of shut up about it.

Phuc yu bich

VM

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2015, 08:22 TheVocalMinority

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 23:20:
Oh I don't have a problem with Gosling. I like the guy. It's the whole Blade Runner 2 bullshit I have a major problem with. I can see it now, they're going to CGI a young Rutger Hauer like they've done with Arnie in these last bullshit Terminator flicks. Hell, it'll be an action flick with one liners 'Replicate this motherfucker! *BOOM*

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfvLcozLwtE

VM

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront Reddit Issues
10. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront Reddit Issues Nov 14, 2015, 00:42 TheVocalMinority

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 13:41:
I remember I used to "work" for some shitty game testing company, we'd get early access to broken ass pre-alpha games to test, all for the price of... you guessed it, getting to play a broken ass pre-alpha game.

Well it's nice that you have a good paying job now though.

VM

News Comments > Starsiege and TRIBES Free Games
18. Re: Starsiege and TRIBES Free Games Oct 31, 2015, 01:52 TheVocalMinority

DangerDog wrote on Oct 30, 2015, 17:35:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Oct 30, 2015, 14:00:
Very cool, I was just recently thinking about trying to hunt down a copy of Tribes Vengeance - wonder if anyone's still playing.

pretty sure it used gamespy, I'm not aware of any hack for it to enable multiplayer.

You may be able to find games using Qtracker. I know they picked up indexing the servers of a lot of the Gamespy games once that service closed.

VM

News Comments > Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play
22. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 07:34 TheVocalMinority

So how does Quake Live compare to Open Arena?  
VM

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 25, 2015, 01:28 TheVocalMinority

Great White Shark wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 23:04:
Microsoft is collecting a lot of telemetry data and I don't agree with all of it but they are not collecting "private data" without consent, whatever the fuck that even means.

You certainly spend a lot of time defending something you don't agree with.

Great White Shark wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 23:04:
The only data collected without consent is telemetry data - a list of installed applications, crash reports, memory dumps of those crashes and so on.

So in other words they are not collecting private data except the private data they are collecting?

Both you and Julio could make you arguments much stronger by referencing some reasonably authorative sources that back up your claims (even Ars would do).

VM

News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
16. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 01:04 TheVocalMinority

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 00:31:

TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 00:30:

Please, tell me again how awesome your digital handcuffs are.

Please tell us again when you last played a game that wasn't made in 1994.

Erm, plenty of games made after 1994 that don't come bundled with malware dude. But yeah it's terrible I can't play all the COOL games because I have enough self respect not to install software that abuses me - I cry myself to sleep every night because of it*.

* no, not really.

VM

News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
11. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 00:30 TheVocalMinority

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 22:32:
Well you're missing out on the best thing with Origin, their amazing customer support.

DangerDog wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 22:54:
My interactions with EA customer support has been a 5 star experience,

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 23:05:
Yep. In spite of EA's shitty business practices the Origin client itself is actually pretty nice these days.

- Great Game Guarantee (Generous refund policy)
- Game Time (Generous demos of some games)
- On The House (Free games)

Please, tell me again how awesome your digital handcuffs are.

VM

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: AVG Sep 19, 2015, 00:12 TheVocalMinority

panbient wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 15:45:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:34:
If anyone is still using AVG (and I can't fathom why, as it's terrible bloatware), get rid of it QUICK.

What do you recommend as an alternative?

Load linux?

(Sorry couldn't resist)

VM

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 07:27 TheVocalMinority

The comments about the iPad and Android are a little bizarro given that Windows 10 is largely making a windows PC more like those sorts of devices i.e. An appliance you do not control that also functions as a surveillance device.

Load a different OS if you can too bad about secure boot.

VM

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. A new version of BloodCM is now available Aug 29, 2015, 00:12 TheVocalMinority

OK I'm looked through the linked web page and still have very little idea of WTF this acually is.  
VM

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
24. Re: Mad Max Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 06:54 TheVocalMinority

ItBurn wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 20:09:
gravity wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 19:21:
Julio wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 16:46:
I wonder if Max will need a woman to shoot for him because he's a gimp in the game as well?

... oh for cryin' out... are you serious?

Max may have spent a large portion of the film tied up, or bound in some way - but to negate his actions entirely, simply because a female takes a couple shots... I mean, your thinly veiled misogyny is shining through your insecurity here.

Yeah, that movie wasn't about feminism, misogyny or anything of the sort. It does feature a greater number of "powerful" women than usual, but that's not saying much. I never thought about any of that stuff after seeing the movie. I had no idea there was a controversy.

Spoilers, maybe: I do wish the movie was more about Max though... This was basically Furiosa's story of revenge with Mad Max as a side character. Also, I would have liked to see Max drive his car and stuff... It happens, for like 30 seconds...

Wow, the themes in that film certainly went whizzing over a few peoples heads!

VM

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jul 31, 2015, 00:16 TheVocalMinority

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 11:41:
Why on Earth would anyone install an OS that so blatantly spies on it's users?

LoL.. what doesn't collect data these days? iPhones, iPads, Android devices, NSA, they ALL do. And most have settings to turn them on or off. STEAM collects data if you let it.

Information technology collects data - it's kind of the whole point of it. The issue is who has access to that data - most free (as in freedom) OS's give you control over the data generated by your own system, and there are also ways to limit the tracking of your browsing and general internet use as well (Privoxy, VPNs, etc).

But yes I know having some privacy these days requires you to actively to something about it, which is a hassle and inconvenient. And the harms from not having privacy are subtle or slow to manifest themselves so you're not going to worry yourself about it.

VM

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
14. Hookers and Blow? Jul 6, 2015, 10:53 TheVocalMinority

Maybe he was too burnt out from all the hookers and blow?  
VM

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2015, 09:17 TheVocalMinority

InBlack wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 07:27:
Where is Beamer, did he get tired of being the devil's advocate on this board?

Devil's advocate? I'm pretty sure he fully believes most of what he has written.

I've seen what I'm pretty sure is one of his alt accounts submitting stories recently but not a lot of forum activity.

VM

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 08:03 TheVocalMinority

Pretty sure Slick is an EA shill - just a really really terrible one.  
VM

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Everything you think you know about color is wrong May 4, 2015, 05:29 TheVocalMinority

This is an excellent video which I almost didn't watch due to the click-bait title.  
VM

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup May 1, 2015, 23:09 TheVocalMinority

wasteoid wrote on May 1, 2015, 20:22:
To be quickly followed up by Game-Cheat, the world's first hardware anti-anti-cheat device.

No need, Unless I'm missing something as I only quickly scanned the article, but a software cheat could just feed false data to the device to make it look like everything was fine.

VM

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront November Release Revealed? Teaser Trailer
14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront November Release Revealed? Teaser Trailer Apr 17, 2015, 07:14 TheVocalMinority

JAGUART wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 06:38:
Remember the Battlefield 1942 Mod Galactic Conquest?

That was so good, it was more Star Wars THAN Star Wars.

I certainly do! The version that was first released was hilariously bad - comical shuffling walkers, an endless steam of people spawning over the pit monster from ep 6 and plummeting in as soon as they moved forward, the wonky speeder physics. I don't think I have ever laughed so much playing a computer game. It was eventually developed into a very good mod but in between there was a lot of meh.

VM

175 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo