Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheVocalMinority

Real Name TheVocalMinority   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheVocalMinority
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 1, 2009, 04:01
Total Comments 224 (Novice)
User ID 54734

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2018, 00:15 TheVocalMinority

1badmf wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 23:33:
Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 13:57:
Those giant wind turbines are stupid, and an eyesore. Anyone who lives around them doesn't want them around. Typical government stupidity and corruption are involved with those things. Give credits for solar and windpods on peoples homes would be far more efficient and desire. But that would make sense.

i personally think wind turbines are beautiful additions to the landscape, especially considering smoke stacks and refineries they replace.

Smoke stacks and refineries occupy a pretty small area compared to wind farms. Also they are located in areas where poor people live - wind farms tend to be placed in semi-rural areas where the chattering classes have their hobby farms and so forth, hence all the squealing.

VM
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
34. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 18, 2018, 12:47 TheVocalMinority

Beamer wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 10:10:
Legally, you have no leg to stand on, but you argue some moral right.

This is exactly the sort of thing I am talking about, you are deliberately misapplying a legal context when the conversation is about a natural right!

The rest of you frothy rant seems to be largely addressing agreements I did not make and ascribing to me thoughts I do not have so I hope you won't be too offended by my failure to address them. I have little time to argue with people on the internet.

VM

31. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 17, 2018, 10:04 TheVocalMinority

Yes Beamer I am quite aware that you do not believe in freedom of speech and do not even appear to understand it (although I suspect you deliberately misunderstand).

NAZIs and criminals still have this freedom. Stopping Facebook from banning someone does not violate any right to free speech and is something I do not have the power to do anyway. What I do have the power to do is not support any businesses that uses excessive censorship, and encourage others to do likewise (although this would be the least of the reasons I have not to use Facebook).

To reinforce my original point - freedom of speech is something you have because you are human. This is the starting point of the conversation not anything about the constitution of the USA.

VM

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 17, 2018, 08:49 TheVocalMinority

Probably wasting my time but freedom of speech is a human right - it does not exist because of legislation but, if you believe such things, exists as a right bestowed by simply being human. The constitution of the USA does provide some protections to freedom of speech but does not define that right.

Censorship, which is being discussed here can certainly impact free speech. Due to the size and influence of Facebook this is, arguably, a free speech issue. Like it or not for many people Facebook is the internet and to some extent it has become an electronic public square, but privately owned.

I think it was Chomsky who said you either believe in free speech or you do not. There are many commentators here who do not believe in free speech.

And no, numbnuts, all this does not mean I agree with this Spencer character or like what he stands for.

VM

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 14, 2018, 00:42 TheVocalMinority

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 21:10:
Oh come on, Redeye -- you are familiar enough with my tendencies to know that's an unfair attack. My comment has nothing to do with his skin color.

Yeah I know completely surprising that one of the most ideologically possessed commentators on Blues News would see your post through the lens of race /s

VM

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2018, 08:18 TheVocalMinority

Interesting that most of the brain damaged TDS sufferers are strangely silent when this is the worst piece of American legislation to come into being in the Trump presidency. The authoritarians are licking their lips in anticipation.  
VM

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 16, 2018, 09:16 TheVocalMinority

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 01:17:
Red886 wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 00:59:
there is no collusion.
unless you also believed Clinton lost because of the Russians.
then of course it's all the Russian's fault..

how they highlighted American issues to Americans is unacceptable..it's too candid, to real, too straight to the point. It makes Americans think as if there is something wrong with America. It's all a lie. America is great, all the issues about medical care to infrastructure are all lies...

we should all direct out attention to eliminating terrorist in the Middle East

Our infrastructure is a disaster and our healthcare is hideously expensive with millions not covered.

Seriously. Where do you get your information?

I think your sarcasm detector is on the blink again Beamer.

Seriously you people seem to be getting worse and worse the longer this Trump thing goes on.

Perhaps Trump Derangement Syndrome is a disease that is.....progressive

VM

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March
35. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 00:30 TheVocalMinority

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 21:58:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:43:
Good plan, when in doubt use caps! *ugh* Go play SC and leave us alone.

Isn't it the villain who yells, "They'll see. I'll make them all pay!"?

You forgot 'while he's petting a white Himalayan cat'.

LOL I think you have all misunderstood post 25.

Man I love these Star Citizen discussions.

VM

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 5, 2018, 05:47 TheVocalMinority

Drej wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 00:41:
I'm scientifically inclined, and I could not understand 1% of that article. And now my OCD has kicked in and it will bother me that I can't understand this.

I didn't understand the article either, however I suspect this is a result of the journalist not understanding what they are writing about rather than my own stupidity (in this case at least).

VM

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 22:58 TheVocalMinority

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 21:21:
MeanJim wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 20:38:
I suppose a recall is out of the question due to the number of processors affected, many of which aren't even in production anymore.

Well, I think it would not just be out of the question, it would literally be impossible to recall 2+ billion cpu and replace them.

Better solution, fix the security issue and disable the fix when a game runs or give user white-listing abilities. 23% performance reduction would definitely make me NOT apply that update. This issue isn't exploitable over the web anyhow. Hax needs full access to your rig, so sandbox and no problem. Although.. I think this issue could actually make sandboxes leak... now wouldn't that be something.

But until we can read what is actually patched we dunno really

As you say all we have is speculation at the moment but it is possible that this could be exploited remotely. IIRC rowhammer has been found to work in Javascript but not sure how reliable it is.

From what I have read the main concern is that it may allow users to break out of a VM and have their way with the entire system.

VM

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
8. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 07:13 TheVocalMinority

Sorry didn't have time to follow up on this during the week.

Host is irrelevant, updates are signed by Debian private key and will not install if hash does not match. It can be overridden but I don't think this will be the default in the auto update because that would be nuts.

VM

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Dec 11, 2017, 10:08 TheVocalMinority

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 19:09:
The problem with automatic updates in Debian 10 is that to consciously allow that you have to trust the hosters behind the package updates. And I seriously do not. This isn't a hardened infrastructure like Windows Update (the one thing that MS did not fuck up, even though it fucked WU up in many other ways). This is some automatically compiled stuff non-supervised and without any oversight. You can literally count the days till this is hacked.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about here but I suspect you have no idea how Debian updates work. I'm no expert but I know the updates are signed and I'm also pretty sure Debian packages generally consist of pre-compiled binaries these days not code (other than the packages that actually give you the code for the binary packages).

VM

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 9, 2017, 06:51 TheVocalMinority

Nice self-justification Beamer, good work. And thanks to the previous three posters for providing a good laugh - you obvious didn't RTFA.  
VM

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
10. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 11:33 TheVocalMinority

El Pit wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 10:51:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 10:48:
I am highly disappointed in the comments section for this story thus far...

Well, I guess some people that have been around during the kickstarter have already died of old age, so you might want to excuse their absence from this talkback.

...aaaand the party has started

VM

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
3. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 10:48 TheVocalMinority

I am highly disappointed in the comments section for this story thus far...  
VM

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback
41. Re: Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 15, 2017, 03:26 TheVocalMinority

Yes because there never has been any stooge accounts unmasked on Blue news before Rolleyes2  
VM

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback
37. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 14, 2017, 01:40 TheVocalMinority

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 20:57:
Slick wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 20:33:
<who cares>

Let it go because right now it's just coming across as astro turfing, which annoys the holy fuck out of me.

Oh FFS it was obvious from the start that slick was an astro turfing account for EA (with the caveat that any sufficiently rabid fanboi is indistinguishable from a shill).

VM

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 30, 2017, 01:33 TheVocalMinority

What is a QVC and why do I care?  
VM

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2017, 23:51 TheVocalMinority

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 22:25:
If Valve doesn't give a shit about hate groups being on their platform, why does this guy think they give a shit about him canceling his account?

They don't give a shit about anything but money. If the hate groups buys games, Valve is perfectly okay with them. Sad story, but there you have it.

I think that one of the ideas behind this sort of consumer activism is that is does impact the bottom line. Obviously not when one person does it but if it is taken up as a cause by a large group of people then the impact can be considerable - hence the reason that this particular whiny bitch it telling people about their actions.

Anyway the comments on this topic has been interesting reading. I have discovered that Valve exceptionalism even beats angst about online hate speech.

VM

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 10, 2017, 00:48 TheVocalMinority

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 07:34:

That's the post in this thread that triggered you?

There is a very simple answer to this question, I'll leave it for you to have a think about LOL.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2017, 03:44.

VM

224 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo