Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 260 (Amateur)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission
2. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 20, 2016, 00:05 007Bistromath

They don't actually deserve it. They should be writing books, or doing a podcast. They don't have the chops in this medium. They're using their metafiction to excuse weak design and poor implementation. The original CONSORTIUM was not good enough to be a product you pay for, and I have no confidence in their improvement due to their claim that the clumsiness is intentional.

Frankly, the way they're handling this crowdfunding campaign should be a clear warning to anyone. This kind of behavior is frequently seen among devs who are, in some way or another, faking it. Spinning a failure as an intermission is silly as shit. They know they only have a very small amount of interest, and they're going to try to squeeze that lemon twice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More SEGA Freebies
10. Re: More SEGA Freebies Feb 19, 2016, 10:10 007Bistromath

ItBurn wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 09:29:
First batch of free games only required you to add the game from the Steam store page.
Second batch of free games require you to give an email and confirm your email.
Third batch will require you to make an account and maybe install something?

I'm guessing after that they'll want a urine sample and a notarized statement that Sega are legally empowered to administer corporal punishment if you attempt to engage the official Sonic twitter account in erotic roleplay.

News Comments > More Free CONSORTIUM
5. Re: More Free CONSORTIUM Feb 12, 2016, 02:15 007Bistromath

Overon wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 21:51:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 19:20:
It's sad that the Kickstarter for the sequel isn't going to make it. I enjoyed the first game and the follow-up looks great. Hopefully they manage to secure funding through other means.
Agreed. This seems like a labor of love.
The writing is a labor of love.

The software is a trainwreck. They should be writing novels.

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Funded
1. Re: Psychonauts 2 Funded Jan 6, 2016, 23:44 007Bistromath

Oh boy! The game this guy has repeatedly said would require more than ten times this amount to make has been "funded!" Can't wait to see what he'll do with all that money.  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 20:46 007Bistromath

"The deep discount era is over."

*proceeds to talk about discounts that are not deep by any reasonable standard*

What patently moronic bullshit will CliffyB come up with to unnecessarily justify his business decisions tomorrow? Perhaps he'll suggest that high framerates are somehow the reason for confusing DLC preorder packages? The sky's the limit!

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 19:24:
Also lol's at the Cliffski - CliffyB confusion each time it happens.

Wait, are they not the same person? Given how most of the time when I see either one of those names, it's attached some nonsense like this, I feel I can be forgiven for that. :p

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2016, 20:51.

News Comments > PC Shadow Complex Remastered Revealed
1. Re: PC Shadow Complex Remastered Revealed Dec 2, 2015, 10:21 007Bistromath

FUCKING
I
N
A
L
L
Y

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Microtransaction Controversy
9. Re: Killing Floor 2 Microtransaction Controversy Nov 24, 2015, 13:29 007Bistromath

Darks wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 10:37:
And again, its you that needs to read and understand. I said anytime devs go adding a micro market it gets people all steamed up. Same thing here. if they want to add cosmetic crap then add it as DLC they don't need an in game market.

I understood perfectly; your original post used the exact words "pay to win." If you're just being so incredibly sloppy with that term that you're not bothering to differentiate between mechanical and cosmetic items then your opinion isn't worth considering, because you will happily invent a reason to complain where none presents itself. You don't like the game, fine. That means you're not affected by this and should toddle off elsewhere.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Microtransaction Controversy
2. Re: Killing Floor 2 Microtransaction Controversy Nov 24, 2015, 10:10 007Bistromath

Darks wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 09:45:
Well, the new one is pretty much the same old crap, gets very old and boring after a while. I wish I could undo using this and just give it way to someone, because I wont ever go back to this game again. Its just not that much fun.

The point of the game is figuring out how to use the different classes. If you stopped before the firebug and demo were added, you've missed some pretty big changes. Overall, it can get a little tedious while we're waiting for them to finish the last four classes, but since there's already a pretty decent custom mapping scene, there's still some interesting variety.

no one is going to chastise them over DLC, but as soon as a pay to win market is added to the game, all hell breaks loose.

At least read the article, dude. The stuff they're adding is cosmetic. Hats, basically. People are just throwing a temper tantrum because they're not done being angry at Overkill.

News Comments > Jade Empire Free on Origin
24. Re: Jade Empire Free on Origin Nov 16, 2015, 03:53 007Bistromath

SlimRam wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 00:11:
If I remember this game correctly, you could actually choose BOTH women at the end and nail them.

That's dirty

I remember thinking it was really amazing at the time. "Wow, they're really showing some courage in displaying relationships outside most peoples' comfort zone."

Years later, Western RPGs are increasingly judged by whether you can fuck all the characters or not and I want to throw all this shit in the garbage. Anime was a mistake.

News Comments > Krosmaster Arena Released
2. Re: Krosmaster Arena Released Nov 10, 2015, 04:18 007Bistromath

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 00:01:
What...what is this?
An adaptation of a weird kind of... collectible board game. Like "collectible" in the Magic: the Gathering sense, but with obscenely priced little figurines that come in blind bags instead of cards. I've played it because there is a guy at one of my weekly board gaming groups who was obsessed with it for a while and freely admits he has far more money than sense. It's not bad. Interesting tactics, with tricky decisions to make about squad composition.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds
4. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds Oct 31, 2015, 17:49 007Bistromath

Hm. Now I really wish I had got around to playing the rest of them. I've only played the first one. If I had played the rest of the series, I'd buy this, and rush to finish it before 2016. :V  

News Comments > Old Arkham Knight Reviews Flagged as "Pre-Release"
24. Re: Old Arkham Knight Reviews Flagged as Oct 29, 2015, 02:12 007Bistromath

Google Play handles this in a way that devs can't abuse in this manner. They simply put a note on old reviews that says "for an older version." Steam should do this, and for bonus points they could actually have it stick the version number on there.  

News Comments > Shadowhand Announced
12. Re: Shadowhand Announced Sep 15, 2015, 23:40 007Bistromath

Huh. Oops. I admit I don't really know much about what Britain was like in the Georgian period. My knowledge of that time focuses on what was happening here, for kind of obvious reasons.

The other problems still make it seem pretty boring, though. I have more card game than I need already. They're wearing them out like silhouette platformers a few years ago.

8. Re: Shadowhand Announced Sep 14, 2015, 16:33 007Bistromath

Cutter wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 15:48:
There isn't a straight man alive who wouldn't be all over a Victorian lesbian Batwoman game.

I would've said the same thing about two years ago. Now: both card games and Victoriana are heavily oversaturated. I was never as much into Victoriana as everyone else is to begin with, and now actually think it's kind of messed up that it's so popular. I mean, glorifying the people who defined modern class division and sexual shame? Yeah, let's do that. And while I would've found the choice of protagonist pretty damn interesting back then, I look at it now and can't help but suspect political pandering. I was more comfortable with seeing diverse representation in games before half the internet went completely insane about it.

Overall, the marketing for this game makes it seem like a shitload of hipster box-ticking. Do not want.

2. Re: Shadowhand Announced Sep 14, 2015, 12:39 007Bistromath

You know, it's funny.

If somebody tried to sell me a card game about Victorian lesbian Batman just two years ago, I'd be all over that shit.

Not so much now.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet
5. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet Aug 15, 2015, 19:14 007Bistromath

As somebody who will literally buy anything Introversion makes because of how amazing Uplink and Darwinia were: you are talking nonsense if you think Hacknet has any less soul.

Hacknet, despite some bugs,* is better than Uplink in many categories. It's not as long, and the procedural mission generation isn't as beefy, but it's miles ahead in terms of storytelling. The hacking also feels more consistently tense, whereas Uplink has a great deal of nearly zero-risk farming, albeit punctuated by some of the most frantic moments in gaming. The music is godlike, and there are multiple one-off side missions which, despite having nothing to do with the main quest, feature impactful bespoke art assets that show a great deal of care went into this game's production.

Hacknet, while flawed, is a masterpiece that deserves to sit next to Uplink, and perhaps even above it. Hacking sims as a genre need to be more like this, embracing and extending the general flow of play Orann has created with deeper and more varied mechanics.

*The dev is one guy, and he is as on top of it as one guy can be. He maintains regular contact with the users via the Steam forum, and has already released two patches.

News Comments > Blizzard Diablo Job Posting
44. Re: Blizzard Diablo Job Posting Aug 12, 2015, 01:39 007Bistromath

THANK YOU. Torchlight is such garbage. I only have it because I lost my Diablo II disc years ago. Every time I play it, it just makes me want to play Diablo even more until I finally have the sense to uninstall it. It's amazing how it could manage to do so much right and then just dump all that effort in the trash because they fundamentally don't understand what is good about this kind of game. The characters suck. I don't care where I put any of my points.

I feel like Torchlight and Torchlight 2 are fundamentally what happens when people put too much focus on modding. Regardless of what people who played the game to death might say, modding was not what made Diablo and Diablo II strong. It got to that point for you because you played it so much to begin with that you mined it out completely.

Making a good character in Diablo II was kind of like writing poetry. You were trying to express a certain style of play within very strict constraints that made doing so an interesting problem. In that context, modding is writing free verse. In other words, if you actually know what you're doing, it's legit, but if you start doing it from the first day you pick up a pen, you're just a moron who didn't learn proper English.

And that's Torchlight. They put nothing into the play mechanics of the base game, and basically expected the users to make the real game for them. Torchlight is all about the workshop, and I've never had the slightest scrap of interest in engaging with it. It has no effort and no soul.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2015, 01:50.

42. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Aug 12, 2015, 00:48 007Bistromath

Well, there's Torchlight, if you're the kind of disgusting idiot that likes Pepsi better than Coke.  

40. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Aug 11, 2015, 19:11 007Bistromath

AngelicPenguin wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 12:21:
Sorry it doesn't fit your definition of Diablo, but there are lots of other ARPGs out there for you.

No, there aren't.

Nothing before Diablo II or since has offered the pure joy I felt in being a lichlord with an army of skeletons. That's not rose-tinted anything, as hardly anyone has even tried. In most ARPGs that came after Diablo II, it was considered a big deal if you could have as many as five mooks following you around. In Diablo II I had thirty. I have very little interest in paying for a game that relies on the efforts of Some Guy who didn't get paid to deliver the experience I'm looking for.

For all that it lacks some quality of life innovations that new ARPGs have, from the perspective of a minion master, Diablo II was the apotheosis of this genre, and I desperately want that feeling back.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2015, 19:21.

15. Re: Blizzard Diablo Job Posting Aug 10, 2015, 23:49 007Bistromath

Please, please GOD, tell me this is a remake! I want this so bad! I haven't even bought Diablo III yet, and probably won't unless there is a remake of the first two. If they remake the first two games, I will buy two copies of all three games, because I have a friend who's a huge graphics whore and won't play the old ones and is therefore not interested in the series at all.  

260 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo