Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 258 (Amateur)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard
8. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 14:15 007Bistromath

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 12:43:
Why not be a bit adventurous and try the real thing, aka a proper roguelike. If you get the bug, you`ll never look back.
I did. The vast majority of roguelikes are unbearably tedious. The depth is a really good tease, but it's only ever that unless you're willing to sink several weeks' worth of playtime into doing nothing remotely interesting. That genre is always more fun on the dumb end, like DoomRL or Castle of the Winds.

If you think of ARPGs as a "smoke & mirrors click-fest," it's your fault for playing classes that make them that way. In the original Diablo, to be fair, it might've been the only way you could get through the thing without grinding your teeth to dust. Rogue was seriously overpowered. But in both Diablo II and Path of Exile, I main Necromancer. Specifically, I main the kind that almost everyone disregards as trash for endgame play; hiding in the middle of a shitload of skeletons.

The challenge with a character like that is completely different from the majority of other classes, where the main differences are how attacks are shaped, whether they move you, and how you manage your resources. If you're minion-based, and really leaning hard on it, the game instead becomes "how do I use this meatshield to avoid clicking as much as possible?" You might do everything very slowly compared to everyone else, but where they have to chug thirty potions and click enough bullshit that they might consider getting a special mouse, you walk through hell like you're on a pleasant jaunt to the corner store until you need to drop some curses on a boss.

If you can learn to make a "click-fest" mostly play itself, you don't get to claim it has no depth. :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Diablo Plans Revealed?
5. Re: New Diablo Plans Revealed? Jul 1, 2016, 22:39 007Bistromath

Please, god, let this be a remake of the original games.  

News Comments > Godus Dead?
10. Re: Is Godus Dead? Jun 29, 2016, 04:42 007Bistromath

It has: Reprisal Universe, the complete realization of something that was a flash game years ago. The graphics are retro, but they still do things period hardware couldn't have, and the gameplay is pretty smooth. There's some kind of community interaction thing going on that feels weird and unnecessary, though.  

News Comments > Godus Dead?
5. Re: Is Godus Dead? Jun 28, 2016, 19:04 007Bistromath

I feel like there should be a gofundme to buy the Curiosity winner the Steam library to make up for the fact that Molyneux is never going to do jack shit for him.  

News Comments > Battleborn New Character & Double XP Plans
3. Re: Battleborn New Character & Double XP Plans May 19, 2016, 22:56 007Bistromath

Battleborn doesn't even look bad, but releasing a new character this quickly after release seems like a pretty sad "please clap" moment after Overwatch completely trashed their sales despite not even being the same kind of game.  

News Comments > Pyre Coming to Windows; Gameplay Video
1. Re: Pyre Coming to Windows; Gameplay Video Apr 24, 2016, 17:05 007Bistromath

well, that goes directly to the top of my wishlist  

News Comments > Ghostbusters Games Announced
30. Re: Ghostbusters Games Announced Apr 16, 2016, 07:58 007Bistromath

At this point I would like to remind everyone that, while many thought its gameplay was too standard and therefore boring, Ghostbusters: The Video Game was an incredibly competent adaptation of the original setting. It borrowed appropriately from the original movies, the cartoon, and the lesser-known comics, and was bold enough to engage in some world-building of its own. The interplay between the characters is perfect, and the secrets add wonderful tidbits of comedic flair. It felt right, and was, thematically and stylistically, a worthy sequel to the original movies. Despite some performance issues and crashiness in later parts of the game, the PC version is also much better than one would expect from a port of a licensed game at the time it was released.

When this garbagepile gets released, if you don't already have Ghostbusters: The Video Game, consider picking it up to send a message about who the real Ghostbusters are.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy
5. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy Apr 5, 2016, 11:18 007Bistromath

Why would there be transgendered people in a setting with fairly cheap magic that can fix that?  

News Comments > MS on Win10 App Openness
1. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 30, 2016, 20:16 007Bistromath

Anyone is completely free to use these handy Freedom Chains we've provided to make their software compatible with our attempts to lock down this platform, which we totally promise to not do. We'll give you your mods and even your V-sync AND your B-sync back. We'll give you all the resomolutions, I promise. Please come back.  

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
90. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 23:31 007Bistromath

Hey, Slick, before you make your big break into writing, you might want to take two minutes away from getting your hog fluffed to actually read some of the stuff you're responding to. People think you sound like a shill because you hyperbolically spin what they're saying, and then have the audacity to accuse them of hyperbole.

I don't think MS is going to kill Win32 in favor of UWP. I think they want to, they're laying groundwork that would allow such a move if they ever believed they could get away with it, and with all the shenanigans they've already pulled with forced updates, it's plausible that their finger is basically on the trigger. I don't think they'll pull it. You're entirely correct in saying that the 30-year ecosystem of Windows-compatible software, enough to be called a heritage in this industry, is not something you just flush. But here's where you fucked up: they didn't build that shit. They simply allowed the world to build it around them, for them, and if you don't think they and their shareholders are brazen and stupid enough to believe the world will build them an empire from scratch again if they change the rules in just the right way to get everyone to swallow it, you don't know this company.

Just look at how screwed up UWP already is: because apps are sandboxed, control over them has been lost on a far deeper level than "boo-hoo, you can't make mods anymore." OBS and other capture/streaming software? Dead, gotta use theirs. Benchmarking? Functionally over, as it'll require in-built functionality to do so, which is trivial to fudge. There's a bunch of other nonsense they're doing with the rendering pipeline too, some of it in DX12 rather than UWP, so everyone will have to play by those rules. They're trying to kill off fullscreen in favor of borderless window, frequently causing performance issues. Why? It's easier for them to insert a bullshit overlay that way.

That stuff isn't speculative, it's how their shit already works. Devs hate it, which is why we're having this discussion in the first place, so of course Microsoft is backpedaling. But we've seen this kind of behavior before. They did it with their consoles, remember? They announced a bunch of stupid shit nobody wanted, everyone got all pissed, they took it all back. And then, slowly, they added all the same shit right back in! That environment is exactly how they always intended it to be now, and nobody dreams of complaining.

They're going to try to pull the same stunt on the PC. I don't think it'll work, overall. There won't be a point at which they can pull the plug on Win32 without committing suicide in the process. But they will try to walk in that direction, and things will get annoying and broken on the way.

We might never need to switch to Linux, but that doesn't mean the shit won't suck.

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
27. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:09 007Bistromath

Slick wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 11:52:
MS plans some game launches you could count on one hand through their store, and the world shits it's pants.

Well, you're making the same error everyone else here is. You think this is about games. That's patently ridiculous. MS is not and never has been a game company. The only reason they are involved with games at all is that they're not stupid enough to leave money on the floor. Their software is dominant in many business applications, and where it isn't, what they're trying to do will increase lock-in.

They see end users in general, and especially gamers, not as customers but as a product they haven't properly monetized. From a business perspective, this point of view is entirely correct and will work. That's where all the data collection in Win10 comes from. That's why Win10 was given away for free. Many other companies have gotten away with making us pay for the privilege of being their product, in exchange for some neat toys. MS wants in on that. And if they get in on it any more than they already have, we could have serious problems. Windows is everywhere, and because it's their product and is not open source, they have the power to arbitrarily decide how it will be made, sold, and used. They can put us over a barrel, haven't up until now because we were still customers back then, and will attempt to now that we're product. For various reasons, I think the attempt will fail, but that doesn't mean no damage will be done.

As if the industry will just give up on win32 format programs, bow down, and all hail this new proprietary format.

MS could, tomorrow, push an update that makes win32 unusable in Win10. They've probably got the code ready and are just waiting for some kind of tipping point that causes them to believe it wouldn't be suicide. That tipping point is significant adoption of and comfort with the Windows Store, especially by third-party developers. This is the part where games do start to directly matter somewhat. I'm aware of all this, and worried about it, but hell yeah I fuckin' want ReCore. So, they've got a user base. The question is whether any devs of consequence follow it.

Same "sky is falling" bullshit that GabeN was spewing when he dumped untold millions into the development of the closed-garden mid-range HTPC.

If you think SteamOS or Steam Machines are a walled garden, I really can't help you. You have... absolutely no idea what that phrase means, apparently.

I'll give you a hint: it requires a bit more restriction than "we have our own store that you can use if you want."

Steam has over 100,000 games on their store, and they all take a %30 cut. Sooooo what exactly is the big deal? People defend to the death Valve's right to take %30 from all titles moving through their platform. What exactly is the hangup with doing it through windows? Steam is a cool app, has a lot of features, but you know what piece of software has more features? Windows.

The difference is that Steam cannot be a jealous god. Literally can't be; it's not built right into the OS almost every one is using, and the OS it is built into is open source. If they even attempted to lock that shit down, the project would get forked, and they'd be dragged into court by the FSF.

MS has absolutely no such restrictions. They can build an actual walled garden, and the only way to stop them would be our nation's flaccid and atrophied anti-trust laws. They don't do it because of the existence of fairly comfortable alternatives, so their goal is to make switching uncomfortable by offering things their competitors don't, and filling the use of those alternatives with hassles. The moves we're seeing now are their first attempts at both, and are nowhere near the end of what they're going to do.

I use and like Windows 10. I am annoyed that I had to dig in my registry to turn off ads, but I've been using computers for a long time. I'm used to having to fuck around with a bunch of things when I reinstall. NBD.

That doesn't mean I'm unaware of these problems, or that I'm willing to pretend they're figments of Linux nerds' imaginations. Microsoft WILL fuck this up. The question is whether they're going to succeed at fucking it up bad enough that I need to jump platforms at some point, and how painful that jump will be if it needs to happen. We'll see.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2016, 13:16.

News Comments > WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? [Updated]
22. Re: WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? Feb 26, 2016, 14:43 007Bistromath

Oh god DAMMIT.

No! No! For god's sake, do you hate money?

Make 2143, you assholes.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission
16. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 21, 2016, 08:18 007Bistromath

I wanted to think of it that way at the time I was playing it, but the further in retrospect it gets, the more I look at the sum total of its mechanics and design focus and realize it's little more than a poorly executed Deus Ex with metafiction papering over the holes in the wall. It only appears innovative at first glance because when so few people really even try to do certain things, you tend to get excited and forget what came before whenever somebody does. Deus Ex was everything this game is, years ago, even the story branching and character interaction. Difference is, they got the other game systems right.  

14. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 20, 2016, 15:36 007Bistromath

saluk wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 13:53:
They can't just write scripts because they are writing IF. But they could be writing IF a la Firewatch or Telltale rather than trying to integrate with an FPS. I think they would be better suited to such, and would produce some really great stuff.

You'll get no argument from me there. The main reason I never finished the thing was the fight with the traitor. It is mind-numbingly dull, and I wound up spending more time reloading than playing at that point. This game would've been better if you just straight up died and had to start over if you didn't solve the mystery.

I don't think it's a positive that they failed. I simply think they didn't deserve to succeed with this kind of work.

12. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 20, 2016, 11:04 007Bistromath

yuastnav wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 08:01:
Well yes, if you live in a fantastical world where the world "long" does not denote a subjective impression then the loading times are long.

No. You are failing to distinguish between "subjective" and "relative." They are two quite different concepts. The Sun is a great deal larger than an elephant, but nobody would say that "an elephant is big" is an opinion.

If you think that load times in CONSORTIUM are not long, then your standards are, compared to the average, very low and out of date. That is also a fact, as evidenced by the failed Kickstarter.

Furthermore, you're not addressing my claim that it's buggy at all; I suspect because you know it's inarguable. The crashing, hanging, unreliable event triggers, and tendency to get stuck on or in map geometry (itself a major contributing factor to the aforementioned physical awkwardness) are not, in any way at all, either subjective or relative.

CONSORTIUM, as a piece of software, is objectively bad. Whether its actual content, i.e., the sum of its play experience and narrative presentation, is enough to forgive this lack of quality is a matter of opinion. Those who believe it can be excused are in such a very small minority that they literally were not able to financially support continued development on this franchise without the devs resorting to Big Plans, which apparently is hype-speak for sticking their hand out again.

8. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 20, 2016, 04:14 007Bistromath

Bugs and long load times are self-evident and are definitely not a matter of opinion. The awkward physical interactions are also not subjective, although it is granted that much of what is considered good UI is a matter of convention. The combat is, objectively and without doubt, bullet spongy. My claim that it is reductive is also not reasonably a matter of debate; the tactical situations you are presented with in CONSORTIUM are very limited, intentionally so, and the enemy AI is clearly primitive.

Effectively the only thing in my post that was a matter of opinion was my statement that it was boring and that it was superlative in that respect.

You are being ridiculous. Stop.

6. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 20, 2016, 02:41 007Bistromath

You're kidding right? That number is a baby fart.

CONSORTIUM as a piece of software is a mess. It's buggy, it takes forever to load, interacting with the environment is clumsy and unintuitive, and the combat is the most bullet spongy, boring, reductive, artificially difficult garbage I've ever had inflicted upon me. All of these failures are conveniently handwaved away as being part of the metafiction rather than being a product of the dev's inexperience and poor design choices.

These aren't opinions. This is what the game actually is, and in order to reach the valuable part, the writing, you have to be willing to forgive it. I'm not, and as evidenced by the failure of their kickstarter, neither are most gamers. There is no good reason to do so, because that handwaving is a clear sign that they do not place a priority on the quality of their software. They are solely interested in telling a story, and should be doing it in a different medium.

4. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 20, 2016, 02:24 007Bistromath

drschelter wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 00:10:
Many, many people feel very strongly otherwise.
Apparently not! :V

2. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Crowdfunding Intermission Feb 20, 2016, 00:05 007Bistromath

They don't actually deserve it. They should be writing books, or doing a podcast. They don't have the chops in this medium. They're using their metafiction to excuse weak design and poor implementation. The original CONSORTIUM was not good enough to be a product you pay for, and I have no confidence in their improvement due to their claim that the clumsiness is intentional.

Frankly, the way they're handling this crowdfunding campaign should be a clear warning to anyone. This kind of behavior is frequently seen among devs who are, in some way or another, faking it. Spinning a failure as an intermission is silly as shit. They know they only have a very small amount of interest, and they're going to try to squeeze that lemon twice.

News Comments > More SEGA Freebies
10. Re: More SEGA Freebies Feb 19, 2016, 10:10 007Bistromath

ItBurn wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 09:29:
First batch of free games only required you to add the game from the Steam store page.
Second batch of free games require you to give an email and confirm your email.
Third batch will require you to make an account and maybe install something?

I'm guessing after that they'll want a urine sample and a notarized statement that Sega are legally empowered to administer corporal punishment if you attempt to engage the official Sonic twitter account in erotic roleplay.

258 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo