Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 291 (Amateur)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings
10. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jul 10, 2018, 12:49 007Bistromath

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:52:
Free speech doesn't mean there aren't repercussions to being a closeminded dirtbag.
In what sense, then, is the speech free?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > We Happy Few Coming to AU on Appeal
1. Re: We Happy Few Coming to AU on Appeal Jul 4, 2018, 08:07 007Bistromath

What I'm gathering here is that their guidelines explicitly do not consider the context of any given offensive thing in any way. Not even the ESRB is that stupid, even if their rules are misapplied half the time.  

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
54. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jun 7, 2018, 10:52 007Bistromath

Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 10:10:
Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 08:09:
Opinions on whether Steam's inundation of valueless garbage to the point of over-saturation is a problem or irrelevant aside, this narrative that Steam would be "determining for you what you may consume" by having curation is a strawman argument based on fallacy. Steam does not have the power to determine that you can or can't purchase something nor should it. It has the power (and obligation in my view) soley to determine what it does and doesn't sell on its own storefront. The distinction is so obvious that I would argue that you would have to be willfully ignorant not to see it.

Wow. Perfectly said. Probably the best said I've seen this argument, and I've seen it a ton over the past 4 years, since whether a store chooses to sell a game became akin to "censoring the developers freedom of speech" to many people.
Whether it's censorship or not is essentially down to whether you're talking about "a store" or "the store." Mainstream retail outlets all behave as a bloc except for their occasional price wars. There's next to nothing you can get at Target that you can't get at Wal-Mart and vice versa. If they don't have something, most people will never be aware it exists.

That's Steam. GOG is pretty much the only meaningful competitor, and they're still spit in the ocean.

43. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jun 7, 2018, 02:20 007Bistromath

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 02:16:
I can pretty much guarantee that Valve will ban any games that simulate or encourage rape, pedophilia, child molestation, etc.
That would definitely mean getting rid of GTA. You can be very bad to hookers in it.

42. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jun 7, 2018, 02:19 007Bistromath

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 22:29:
Oh yeah? So you are telling me they had 50 aisles full of old games? Really?
You are somebody who doesn't really remember the 90s very well.

In the 90s, one of the main ways to find out about new games you might actually want was to look in a bargain bin somewhere and get a CD that said OVER 500 GAMES!!! on it.

Like 20 of those might be shareware games worth playing.

Then you never got registered versions because your parents were broke. :V

22. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jun 6, 2018, 21:20 007Bistromath

Wesp5 wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 17:34:
Summary: We will put everything on Steam regardless of quality or content because we want our cut! Except if the outcry is large enough to possibly hurt our sales, then we might react to it...
That is the opposite of what they've decided. They specifically state they will not respond to outrage. Moral guardianship isn't their job.

Regarding shovelware:

1) How much of that dumb shit have you actually bought? I ask this, because it strikes at the heart of why we both know shovelware doesn't really matter: you know what it is when you see it. If you bought it, it's your fault. You may have had a point before Valve unfucked their refund policy (and that policy still isn't perfect) but there is basically no reason at this point for you to be stuck with garbage you don't want.

2) Asset flipping is of dubious legality anyway, so this decision doesn't rule out Valve taking action against it. On the contrary, it leaves them more free to do so, because they'll only be focusing on those things which are a legal liability. This encompasses non-functional products as well. They have to do something about this if they want to operate in markets that aren't the US.

1. No subject Jun 6, 2018, 17:20 007Bistromath

PRAISE GABEN  

News Comments > Diablo III Introducing Themed Seasons
6. No subject Jun 6, 2018, 11:19 007Bistromath

"Crap, Path of Exile is gaining on us. Let's rip them off."  

News Comments > Path of Exile: Incursion Launches
2. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jun 2, 2018, 03:28 007Bistromath

It's pretty great. The overarching theme is to make clearspeed matter to people that aren't normally clearspeed autists by adding an element of planning. Interesting stuff. It seems like killing monsters doesn't add quite enough time to your limit, though. Hope they patch it.  

News Comments > Battlefield V in October
20. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July May 24, 2018, 00:12 007Bistromath

DangerDog wrote on May 23, 2018, 23:42:
Prediction

98.9% of the people saying they're not going to buy it will end up buying it.

didn't buy the last one, not buying this one, no more battlefield forever until they make 2143

News Comments > Tencent and Grinding Gear
5. Re: Tencent and Grinding Gears May 21, 2018, 12:02 007Bistromath

Darks wrote on May 21, 2018, 10:41:
Well, that will most likely spell doom for Path of Exile. the game will turn into a grind feasted heap of crap and be monetized to death.
You can't really do that to this genre. The grind is what people play for. Nearly any amount of bullshit is just a sign that says "we dare you to steal our free game."

That said, I don't think this is good at all. People are going to be less interested in buying shit when they don't have "support the devs" warm fuzziness anymore. "Tencent bought you and you want more money? Greedy!" They're incapable of understanding the concept of an investment. When GGG turns out to be a bad one, Tencent won't fuck with the game, they'll just liquidate the company.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July
5. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July May 18, 2018, 15:55 007Bistromath

Given that this was supposed to be a key feature from the beginning, I would think a better name for this would be No Man's Sky PREVIOUS.  

News Comments > Battlefield V May 23rd Reveal Confirmed
1. Re: Battlefield V May 23rd Reveal Confirmed May 16, 2018, 15:45 007Bistromath

It's not 2143, so the only real question here is "how disappointing is it?"  

News Comments > R.I.P. Steam Machines?
25. 007bistromath@gmail.com Apr 2, 2018, 19:18 007Bistromath

This is really bad news. We need something like Steam OS as a hedge against Windows getting any worse. If people aren't adopting it...  

News Comments > Brutalism Next Week
1. Re: Brutalism Next Week Mar 22, 2018, 02:04 007Bistromath

I watched the video and thought "okay... how do you play it?"

Then I read the rest of this article and learned nothing.

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
4. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 17, 2018, 19:13 007Bistromath

Well, this is kind of a pain in the ass. I own them all on steam, but haven't played them in God knows how long, so I didn't know they wouldn't work. Really don't want to have to buy them again if the nostalgia gets to me. :/

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2018, 11:27.

News Comments > Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month
1. Re: Q.U.B.E. 2 Next Month Feb 12, 2018, 17:08 007Bistromath

I suppose it's at least possible that the story won't suck this time, since it wasn't shoved in as an afterthought to get another bite at the apple.

PS: qube director's cut is a war crime

News Comments > Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended
14. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 11:49 007Bistromath

This is what happens when you tell game devs to think of the children.  

News Comments > InnerSpace Launched
9. Re: InnerSpace Launched Jan 18, 2018, 06:38 007Bistromath

I used to be a voracious reader, but the Internet has nearly destroyed my ability to engage with anything non-interactive. >_>

Point-and-clicks are among the best genre vis-a-vis retrogaming ease-of-use. You need DOSBox for alot of them, but there are tutorials that can get you set up with that in about five minutes.

With that said, Death Gate in particular can be a little tricky because it has (very good) voice acting that was originally on CD. If you don't get it installed right, it'll skip the intro sequence and some other animations, which makes the beginning of the game rather confusing. I've gotten it to work several times on different machines running different versions of Windows, but I do remember it being a bit frustrating. I'd say it's worth the effort, though.

News Comments > InnerSpace Launched
6. Re: InnerSpace Launched Jan 17, 2018, 02:04 007Bistromath

Nucas wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 00:47:
i'm going to break from the classic movie references and say the description and clips immediately made me think of the excellent old fantasy novel series, Death Gate, which took place in 4 sort of elemental inside-out worlds that people had to navigate with weird sky and water ships.

that irrational emotional connection will probably make me purchase this whenever i get my gaming pc working again.

Ever play this?

I never read the books, and I'm given to understand the game takes significant liberties, but it's still one of the best old-school point-and-clicks I've played.

291 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo