Total Posts
15106 (Ninja)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

15106 Comments. 756 pages. Viewing page 752.
Newer [  1    741  742  743  744  745  746  747  748  749  750  751  752  753  754  755  756  ] Older

Youtube Trailer
Mar 9, 2009, 23:16
Youtube Trailer Mar 9, 2009, 23:16
Mar 9, 2009, 23:16

If you make a trailer for your game, be sure your game is running at more than 4fps

Re: Op Ed
Mar 9, 2009, 22:42
Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2009, 22:42
Mar 9, 2009, 22:42

If neither choice has any pro's its a perfect real world situation, nothing you do is a good choice, there is no such thing.

The proper setup for the merchant would be do you ROB him and kill him or ROB him and let him live (The choice not to rob him is irrelevant in that setup). He is out of his money in any case and you are getting stuff in any case, but will your morals prevent you from roleplaying thusly killing the merchant but being attacked by his family later or will you let him live, which in turn will make HIM and his family attack you.

That is a superb example of good RP'ing a choice which has no good or bad, anything you do *after* choosing to rob him is a non-reward guided choice, nothing you do gives you any reward and everything you do AFTER robbing IS a "punishment" choice, or rather the choice of least trouble.

With viable anyway, i ment that not any choice should offer an reward. (read above, where either choice will net you no reward, unless you already calculate on looting his family as well ;p) In this case letting him live is more profitable.

Anyhow, i would happy enough if i even had such choices, most modern rpg's do not give me such a situational choice as you described it or anything even remotely close ;(

Btw, a real good RP Master (I'm thinking of dnd gamemasters) would allow you to take sadism even further, causing his family to become poor the men to become a heavy drinker the women and child slaves. Etc, then you could "buy" the slaves and let em fight an evil dragon. Of course, some complexity like that is only possible when the game is allowing it in the first place. And in that sense RP servers in NwN 1 already came really close to "real" rping beause all that WOULD be possible there.

Mar 9, 2009, 13:10
Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2009, 13:10
Mar 9, 2009, 13:10

Wait, what? RP Choices should never be equally viable, choices should exist completely devoid of reward thats the foundation of making free choices in the first place! Reward for an choice is like the horse and the carrot, not roleplaying but being guided by the developers

Choice is always being able to do what you want, want to kill that NPC, have fun (FF7 does not allow killing of NPCs...) Want to kill that annoying team member, have fun! (FF7 does not allow you killing party members)

And if an RPG has no "non immortal" children, its already on the FAIL boat as well

Mar 9, 2009, 03:34
Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2009, 03:34
Mar 9, 2009, 03:34

Oh, Grandia ! Yes that was indeed great... but rare exception in an ocean of mediocrity...

Mar 9, 2009, 00:00
Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2009, 00:00
Mar 9, 2009, 00:00

Most players who do not like FF7 probably never got beyond the horrid combat and spell "learning" grind. The RPG aspects of FF7 are negligible and the story is, and i doubt you will disagree, worlds away from a *good* story.

I can only put it this way. Every character class you choose in BG2 nets you a different game. Thats besides the group choice, THAT IS ROLE PLAYING

In FF7 you are always playing the same guy with the same class with no impact of your skill choices on the game = JRPG

- Speaking of that, the JRPG vs Real RPG discussion is as old as the internet , i can not put it well in words, but there is an absolute difference and i hate the JRPG's with a passion. Except my Chrono Trigger (which was pretty cool).

Nevertheless, all this talking makes me want to play Torment again

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2009, 00:14.

Best RPG ever made
Mar 8, 2009, 22:57
Best RPG ever made Mar 8, 2009, 22:57
Mar 8, 2009, 22:57

I shudder to think that FF7 is even considered best, a grind based japanese style story and total cliché char interactions and it gets a "best" tag? Not to mention a complete wacked story.

Do these people not have played Planescape: Torment, Baldurs Gate 2 or The Witcher? All of which are vastly superior to anything Square Enix has ever produced.

Or is this a generation gap?

Re: On Game AI
Mar 7, 2009, 17:51
Re: On Game AI Mar 7, 2009, 17:51
Mar 7, 2009, 17:51

You are of course completely right, and its sad but true... there is just no cpu time left for fancy AI in games like E:TW, at least in the battles, cpu usage is sky high even at the current level, and that on a quad core, can people without dual core even play E:TW ? (Now don't get me wrong, the tactical AI is awesome, mostly especially when you do not play on ultra unit sizes (larger unit size somehow makes the AI dumber)

But given that, "infinite" time to calculate does not make a good ai , it just makes for slow turn times. What was said is probably true, without some serious advance in AI techniques there is a limit to what is possible, and every AI everywhere is just smoke and mirrors in the end.

Also, and that is important, if an AI on Very hard Cheats (with money injections or better combat stats) then that is even more horrendous than an easy AI. If you set the difficulty in Empire Total war on anything but Normal the AI gets bonuses on moral and damage and income (and a lot).. thats lame. on very hard ai troops do nearly TWICE the damage you do...

But its a realistic game to some extend, same type of units should be equal, otherwise its not a real challenge

Mar 7, 2009, 06:02
Re: On Game AI Mar 7, 2009, 06:02
Mar 7, 2009, 06:02

Not sure if that is sarcasm, but i for one wouldn't mind that either.. when it happens rare enough ;p

Not sure why thats your first thoughts for a more realistic RTS ai for units though, i was thinking of intelligent aim and intelligent path taking/battle behavior, maybe even a Line of Sight and individual aim system for each soldier. You know, things to improve gameplay, not make it a mess ^^

Re: Empire: Total War
Mar 7, 2009, 04:18
Re: Empire: Total War Mar 7, 2009, 04:18
Mar 7, 2009, 04:18

Managing fleets, well THAT is the hardest thing, make 2 lines (far apart, about 5 ship lengths and just run side by side through the enemy, one line to the right and one line to the left, yeah thats how battles were fought in those days. So you can even pat yourself on the back and say you are as good as any other admiral ;p Im not kidding, thats the most effective tactics, ships in coherent 2 lined ship broadsides are an MASSIVE deathzone in between their lines, if the enemy has 2 lines as well, rinse and repeat till everyone is dead. If you start to loose though you might want to micromanage ,p You can pause and give orders and even go to slomo...

Artillery is bugged atm, the best way is to put em in front of your LINE troops and set em to shrapnel, every enemy stupid enough to attack you from that direction will be mince meat. The problem is, the AI is not that stupid ;p Not always anyway.

An alternative is to make a really extended formation with line troops in front and your artillery a way back and a 2nd line troop "line" behind the artillery, when your first line breaks let loose the cannons ;p Before the front lines break fire at the enemy with normal cannons or explosives (depending on your research). Try to pince the enemy and don't even bother trying to move a 12 inch cannon around, they are deadly slow to setup ,p Though a single cannon can turn the tide, 1 shrapnel shot can kill a third of a line easily

To your other questions
- Early on its either firing or bayonets... so yeah, once your first generation troops run into melee they can NO longer use their guns. Research fixes that, and gives you the ultimate weapon, rank fire. Research that with priority, Rank fire is ABSOLUTE vital in this periods engagements. It means all 3 of your lines can fire in turn, and after that salvo usually not much will be alive of whatever wanted to rush you in melee ,p

- Line troops are best engaged with line troops, 2 on one, so try to pinch them in at the sides to get a \______/ kind of formation, with the enemy in between. Thats the standard tactic, but your flank guys are very easy pickings for attacks from behind by cav.. so protect them with your own cav

Do not try to attack line troops with cav frontal, that is 100% death chance ,p Always from behind, and NEVER in front of another line troop.

Hope that helps

Oh, if you want to maintain small group formations press G (for group) you can group smaller sections of your army and they will maintain the form you have given them BEFORE pressing G.

I agree between, the tutorials are completely pointless and tell you NOTHING important about the battle system, if you do your big naval battles like in the tutorial, you will loose guaranteed. The ai is better at micromanaging a huge fleet in battle than you are, so maintain 2 lines and behold the glory of the era

Mar 7, 2009, 03:58
Re: On Game AI Mar 7, 2009, 03:58
Mar 7, 2009, 03:58

I agree, stalker by far has the most freaky ai encounters to date, the combat ai while sometimes messy is a sight to behold when it works right, easily outclassing humans in battle tactics, well.. until they throw a nade against a invisible wall and all die

But having played Empire Total war a lot now, i can say that there is no ai at all in the "unit" level. Units do not hold fire when an army marches in front of them, cannons fire even when fire is on hold through your lines with no regard to anything. Units get stuck at fences and building melee is a mess, with the AI apparently consisting of all hiding in a edge and getting slaughtered without defense in melee.

Yes combat AI for formations and GROUPS is great, but the single guy on the screen is even more retarded than ever. Artificial Stupidity indeed

Just imagine how crazy cool an rts could be if units would BEHAVE realistically, and more importantly intelligent in the scope of your orders. Not march headlong in front of a 24 gun battery set on shrapnel which fires just through them, instead of waiting till they are out of the death zone..

Mar 6, 2009, 05:19
Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2009, 05:19
Mar 6, 2009, 05:19

And more so, more PC-Gamers = win for everyone not wanting console crap

Re: Gold - NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate
Mar 6, 2009, 04:46
Re: Gold - NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate Mar 6, 2009, 04:46
Mar 6, 2009, 04:46

Well i would take management of my party up in puppet mode, but not with the interface as it is. I played BG2 so im no stranger to micro management of a party, but in nwn2 the interface (selection and control) is like bad dream. Maybe its because the camera can't move out enough or maybe because of the small locations...

I was talking of NwN1 mod campaigns not OC, the OC of nwn1 was not great or better said, rubbish indeed, but the later expansions were awesome. And the user mods were even more awesome (at least very many of them are superb)

Re: Gold - NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate
Mar 6, 2009, 01:27
Re: Gold - NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate Mar 6, 2009, 01:27
Mar 6, 2009, 01:27

Outstandingly good hehe..

I really wish NwN2 had fixed any of NWN1's flaws. I loved NwN1...mainly because of the great user created mods. But nwn2 i just never got into, ai was and still is retarded and the word AI is an insult to anything even remotely intelligent, campaigns some of the worst ever (Horrid OC) and a timer/soul feed crap in Expansion, and no real "campaign" at all in the last "addon" Storm over Zehyr

And i simply don't get the "vibe" of nwn2 at all, even with user created mods, always i have to fight to get my party to do something halfway not suicidal, which i fail mostly. Or i have to fight with the camera or delayed ai responses OR bad targeting of anything anywhere at all, where i fail 99% of the time.

But anyway, i have never even heard of this, 2 years delayed eh, it would have barely helped nwn2 back then, but now?

but best of all is my party going into rampage because an enemy is close.. behind a wall, and walk straight though the entire level totally oblivious to any orders

Re: Ships Ahoy - Empire: Total War
Mar 5, 2009, 10:55
Re: Ships Ahoy - Empire: Total War Mar 5, 2009, 10:55
Mar 5, 2009, 10:55

Gotta agree on that, somehow firing in lines has not the same flair as bashing people with a 2 handed axe, still hoping mods put the blood gore and screams back in, the battles are absolutely sterile and clean.... Even more so than any other TW game.

That said, after my first campaign playthrough (and victory on short) i finally understand the game systems more, religion is absolutely vital, as is having 1 temple in EACH region at the very least, of course manned with a priest. If you have a region with 50% your religion, think twice before invading it, you will not be able to continue on for a while...

And trade, my god is trade important now, invading the trade colonies in the "off-map" locations supplies you with massive income, in case you ever wondered where the ai gets their money ;p

Mar 4, 2009, 13:36
Re: Ships Ahoy - Empire: Total War Mar 4, 2009, 13:36
Mar 4, 2009, 13:36

Don't read it from 2nd hand, i can confirm load times are MUCH improved, turn times as well, you will not have the immense turn times later in campaign that were in mtw2, battles load within 10-20 seconds and you are back on the map in 5-10 seconds

Also the crackling sound has been fixed, no more screetching drummers

But, there are still some random crashes in the campaign (very rare), nothing lost though, auto save has a lot of backlog and happens each turn

Mar 4, 2009, 06:49
Re: Ships Ahoy - Empire: Total War Mar 4, 2009, 06:49
Mar 4, 2009, 06:49

Well from what i have read preload was somehow broken. Nothing you could have done i guess, i got the game retail so install was fast, and while i see why people complain about steam, it is really painless enough

And is it me, or did it download a 0-day patch?

Re: Midway
Mar 3, 2009, 14:26
Re: Midway Mar 3, 2009, 14:26
Mar 3, 2009, 14:26

If midway goes bankrupt, nothing of value will be lost. Except the blessing of crappy console ports and buggy games (area 51 anyone?)

Re: Grand Ages: Rome Patch
Mar 2, 2009, 09:11
Re: Grand Ages: Rome Patch Mar 2, 2009, 09:11
Mar 2, 2009, 09:11

Game is out since 26th feb in EU , its the release date stick in reverse ;p

Speaking of Grand Ages: Rome, give the demo a try if you like building games, its a good game ^^

Re: New BF2 SP Project Reality
Mar 1, 2009, 13:44
Re: New BF2 SP Project Reality Mar 1, 2009, 13:44
Mar 1, 2009, 13:44

What you describe happened to me 1:1 (talking about multiplayer)

The online community surrounding this mod is one of the worst, elitist and touchiest ever to walk the BF2 mod community. First if you want to have fun while playing a realistic bf2 session online, skip this mod .. if you do not like to constantly babble in your Mic, skip this mod. If you do want to choose the weapon you want when you want it and when the situation requires it, skip this mod (Weapon masters will always favor their clanmates and never you, so you will be up with a standard assault rifle against tanks vehicles and snipers)

However, SP is kinda fun. Mainly because the human is always much superior to the bots. And you can choose the weapon you want when you need it. Not when an elitist clanner decides you are ready for it.

Re: New Grimm & More Free Games
Feb 26, 2009, 20:03
Re: New Grimm & More Free Games Feb 26, 2009, 20:03
Feb 26, 2009, 20:03

The sad part is thats the only thing stopping me from using or even recommending gametap ... no x64 support is a deal breaker and its been like this for over a year now ;(

Which is sad, because it certainly is a nice idea and they don't rip you off with prices, but all that doesn't matter.. I'm on Vista x64 ~.~

And especially funny because their "free games" work fine (even on x64) but their promotional 24hr free games do not work at all under x64 (because of their "device drivers" not supporting it, apparently)
15106 Comments. 756 pages. Viewing page 752.
Newer [  1    741  742  743  744  745  746  747  748  749  750  751  752  753  754  755  756  ] Older