Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12142 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content
4. Re: Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content Sep 13, 2017, 09:59 eRe4s3r

The only good thing about this game is the fantastic art direction on the ships

Sadly, the combat system is made in such a way that you wont see your ships post early game ever again in battle

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 12, 2017, 18:16 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 16:27:
Boy, that Firewatch dev is a real nagger.

What he did may also very easily be the scumbaggiest behavior of a indy dev yet... beyond Alex Mauer (Who never had granted a license) this guy had granted a license and then DMCA'd an old video that was released under that license, revoking it (which he can't retroactively right?)

I mean, wtf? It's kinda hard to look worse than PewDiePie but that idiot dev managed it. I also have a deep and ever growing hatred for people that abuse the DMCA system even besides that...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 12, 2017, 06:14 eRe4s3r

rarely am hyped, but I am hyped for D:OS 2.. 2 more days.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 12, 2017, 04:25 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 20:16:
Amazon's new video strategy: make the next 'Game of Thrones.'

I would love to see Roger Zelazny's Amber series adapted into a show. It's a very GoT-ish adult fantasy with a large cast, tons of intrigue, action, adaptability, etc. And it has the added bonus of actually being finished.

Or any fantasy story from Markus Heitz or Tad Williams.... Amber series would make a great series though, that's true

News Comments > First Emotion Processing Unit Launches
10. Re: First Emotion Processing Unit Launches Sep 11, 2017, 17:16 eRe4s3r

Since the PR fails to do it, let me explain what this is since I find the concept really interesting.

It's basically a super fancy parser API/PLUGIN/ENGINE that can deduce the "tone" of shit happening.

You say to the AI

"I like you" in a sarcastic tone then an an AI will not understand what that means at all, at worst it will parse it word by word, at best, it will think you like it (even though you were being sarcastic), with this, the AI rates this line with these .. many.. perks

anger, fear, sadness, disgust, indifference, regret, surprise, anticipation, trust, confidence, desire and joy, pain / pleasure and frustration / satisfaction

(Just to be clear, it's not a binary thing, you need to really finely tune such neural nets to detect tone properly, except for pain/pleasure and frustration/satisfaction , and this is truly new here, which was far as I know never before done, and is one of the many basic requirements for a basic AGI. It's been stipulated that for an AI to learn it has to understand satisfaction for example, without that, it has no motivational driving force to learn. Without a motivation to learn, it is not an AGI because nothing it does isn't scripted in some way (AGI's are basically the singularity).

This is important, the bold parts are things any neural net can be trained to detect easily, and IBM watson for example has already achieved a 90ish% success rate here. This new engine adds the italic parts, which is a pretty fundamental new progression in how .. I am not sure what to call it really... I guess the "emotion detection" functions in AI systems.

Obviously, systems like these are absolutely bonkers huge in VR situations. Where you can look, talk, move around, and even gesture. For such situations, you need an AI that can detect whether what you said was one of the above mentioned things.

So yeah, not sure what this can do in practice, but if their claims are true you can expect slightly better chat bots in VR... assuming the game you are playing can afford the $$$

If there is any value to this, NVIDIA will buy them up and integrate it into their AI division. Which means it's gonna end up on mainstream GPU's... but until then it's an interesting gadget for which I am not quite sure what the point is. I mean, detection of emotions is nice and all, but we still have no way to tell an AI how to speak without it using horrible sounding synth voice.

If it ends up being in a game anywhere, then that would make characters react in realistic ways to stuff happening in the game and stuff done by the player. But obviously there is many more things to consider in that

TL;DR, this is an announcement for engine developers who want their AI to detect tone (generally speaking, of shit happening

News Comments > On Windows 10 Game Stuttering
14. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 17:03 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 16:06:
"I don't always test my code, but when I do, I test it in production."

That's the way you can behave when you have become a monopoly

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 11, 2017, 14:27 eRe4s3r

I like how Amazons plan to compete against a fantasy Epos written by a great writer and a budget that's positively insane (each episode costs what some movies cost) is to not make any fantasy series written by a great writer and instead do any random thing with low budget and no known writer, IP, or saga behind it.

Corporate logic deluxe version

I mean bloody hell, there are so many other fantasy stories to put to film, I want fantasy shows with intrigue, character development and awesome shit happening.... and only GoT (and to some extend Stranger Things) delivers

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer
7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 04:52 eRe4s3r

WaltC wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 16:57:
Frijoles wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 12:35:
Neat. Afraid I'm not that clever though. Anyone playing? Is it the same as the first game? I never got close to finishing it. The EA version might be better for me since it's only a few hours long I've read.

Besides Steam, it is also available on GOG, where I bought it yesterday. Very nice, but the game that will be released on 9/14 will be much different as the Early Access version hasn't been updated since *May* and is still alpha--aside from spanning only a few hours of the opening game play...! In the game released in four days *all* of the audio--every single line--has a voice actor behind it! Should be significantly different than the EA. I played the first one through at least three times, as memory serves--basically, I started over every time a major patch was released, as well.

Dang I completely forgot it's gonna release in 3 days.. gotta clear up some time to be prepared for my "Lich Summoner" playthrough First Act is playable and that's around 30 (ish) per cent of the game. So Act 2 is gonna be bigger, with many many more decisions to make and hings to discover, but Act 1 is by no means a tiny part of the game, it's pretty expansive if you 100% it.

Also just for the record, that source magic thing isn't fixed yet.. I heard nothing about it the past month and there were a LOT of comments regarding this too. Latest alpha version removed any gainable source points from the game entirely.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 02:12 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 15:02:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 14:23:
Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:46:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:38:
For parts of Florida, Hurricane Irma offers a worst-case scenario.

But hey, global warming is a hoax, so I'm gonna keep rollin' coal in my Hummer.
The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
5 ain't cutting it anymore.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

Not a metric convusion error, but not 240 either. It was 225 mph from this story.

With a tightly defined eye, high maximum winds and gusts of up to 195 knots or 225 mph Irma has left weather forecasters flabbergasted.
But that's only 361.14 kph. Stunned

Well I just hope everyone is gonna be fine. It's unimaginable to hear that this storm has the size of Germany, if that is even only 20% water then Florida isn't gonna have just storm problem but also a flood problem.

But yeah, the scale of these things is just not imaginable to me. 360km/h of gusts, can you even imagine how much force rain would have in such gusts? I can't...

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2017, 01:51 eRe4s3r

saluk wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 00:39:
Who'd have thought - making an action stealth shooter with some rpg elements is quite different from a turn-based (ok, realtime with pause) rpg.

Every game is a difficult birth, the problem is when you got no lead position in your team. Nobody who says "No, this is our budget, and THIS is what we can do" Imagine if Obsidian hadn't wasted 500k !!! on a single scene. You just do NOT do this, you do pre-pruduction and a vertical gameplay slice first, without assets, just mechanics. And if they had done this, none of the problems they had would have happened (especially AI performance would have been caught nearly instantly in development)

I can understand why some people say Obsidian fucked this up themselves, and there is really no denying it that a better studio could have made Alpha Protocol game of the year.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2017, 14:57 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 14:29:
Secret Best game?!? I love the idea, but I've tried 4 times to play that game and have yet to get into it due to all of the issues.

Its clunky and broken, but still kinda endearing... somehow.. maybe... it's greatest downfall was the god awful engine though, and lack of modding support...

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 9, 2017, 14:01 eRe4s3r

Equifax apparently is trying to become the most hated company on the planet.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Expansion Revealed
18. Re: Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Expansion Revealed Sep 9, 2017, 04:18 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 00:59:
Heltorne wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 23:57:
Sheesh, don't you people ever get sick of the cliche negativity about almost everything?

That's usually my line, but come on, you have to be able to call a spade a spade. It's widely considered "good form" to launch a new game and give it time to breathe, to let the customers who just plonked down (in my case) $80 CAD to feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Announcing the first xpack 3 days after launch is bad form. It's not a death sentence, and there are worse and more insidious practises in the industry... but I think we can come together and at the very least admit to ourselves that this is in poor taste.

This is Activision and the only form they understand is "give me your money" that's what happens when monetization strategy rules a company, and not PR or even developers.

I watched the entire playthrough of the campaign on twitch and was beyond baffled how this is a hyped game, but to each their own. Like PUBG this game is not for me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 02:44 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:04:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:52:
Woman slips handcuffs steals police cruiser.

This made me LOL! She went from a very small crime to a major amount of time in jail...

The comments are hilarious "Amazing kind of girl" "This woman is hot".

Is the selection pool down in the southern USA that bad?

Hey, some people are attracted to those that can take decisive action.

Going to jail for 10+ years is a retarded decisive decision though, maybe akin to jumping from a building

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 9, 2017, 02:16 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 20:33:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 19:38:
Philips Readies Curved Ultra-Wide 492P8 Display- 49, 32-9, USB-C, Sub-$1100

*drool*

Don't ever buy anything Philips. Ever. Their shit always breaks, whether it's in their home country of Holland, or here, or wherever, and it doesn't matter what you buy.

I've had Philips TVs - broke. Philips shavers - broke. Philips stereo - broke. Philips toaster - broke. Philips DVD players - broke.

Their R&D department is fantastic. They have invented absolutely tons of amazing, every-day-take-for-granted stuff. Their actual manufacturing department is the worst possible shit. It's like it gets shat together by some half-blind lepers in the darkest corner at Foxconn or something.

My Philips CRT lasts for 10 years now ;p

News Comments > Tyranny Opens Bastard's Wound
2. Re: Tyranny Opens Bastard's Wound Sep 8, 2017, 09:56 eRe4s3r

If only the beginning (capturing the first tower) weren't so horribly boring the 5th time around ;/  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 8, 2017, 01:18 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 00:52:
Yeah, and what are the odds this actually going to affect you unless you're rich? They're sure not going to be go after people on the lower end of the financial spectrum. And those at the top they do go after have the resources to get that stuff sorted out PDQ. You have better odds of winning the lottery than something like this biting in you in the ass. It doesn't excuse the lax security - personally I'd make credit scores illegal if I were in charge - but be realistic about how much of an imposition this is really likely to be...which is likely zero.

except, you know....
personal information needed to steal someone's identity or trick a customer service rep into getting anyone into your account

Is used for many things, scammy direct charges on your credit account is not one of them.

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering Arena Announced
2. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Announced Sep 8, 2017, 00:56 eRe4s3r

The lands are a huge part of MTG gameplay and card interaction, so it is not fixable, maybe for other card games, but not for MTG. And it's actually relatively easy to "kinda" fix if you set draw rules, 2 (random) land cards required on hand, or something like that.

If you don't however, and you don't have a prophecy system like in Elder Scrolls Online (Which I think is the "best" card game currently) then it's really annoying to play though, that's true

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2017, 00:38 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 19:19:
Blue wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 11:39:
NKD wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 06:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 01:48:
NK is like a little child, it cries and threatens but even with nukes and ICBM's it's all hot air and posturing to gain better negotiation positions at the food table. The only difference to the "usual" situation is that Trump will not negotiate, but Trump isn't gonna be around forever...

It's why I laugh at anyone who thinks this will cause WW3... NK has been blowing hot air around for more than 40 years now...

The only way this causes WW3 is if someone doesn't get Chinese and Russian leaders onboard before we nuke all their military installations. I also don't worry about Trump in this instance because there's no one in the military hierarchy that's going to obey a World War starting order from that cheetoh.

So the solution to this is a tactical nuclear strike, and we'll be protected from escalation into nuclear war by cooperation from Russia, cooperation from China, and a military coup here in the U.S.?

I feel so much better now.
And blue gently places a turd in the punch-bowl barely causing a ripple, it's almost like this was his first tinder date.

I posted the following on Labor Day

"As North Korea continues its nuclear sabre rattling we can all rest easy knowing that nothing will come of it.

Even if the US and her allies were to magically eliminate all the nukes in the North, which it can't. The DPRK has enough conventional weaponry to attack Seoul and her estimated 25 million inhabitants*, which is only 35 miles from the border.
Not even the current idiot in chief could tweet his way into a conflict of that magnitude.

*Including metro area."

NK is fully aware that it can do this. (SK too) hence why everyone who knows their stuff tells you that it's all posturing. The dictatorship in that hole is not insane, it's keeping the people in a constant perpetual state of fear of exterior forces to stabilize internal power, you can only do this if external forces are legitimately threatening you. As long as people believe the hell they are in is better than the hell they perceive outside you got a stable fascist dictatorship. NK has absolutely ZERO intention to conquer a western nation that is so westernized that it makes some western nations looks like developing nations. The entire power structure in NK would collapse. Because SK citizens would not have fear of an external enemy, they would have hate of an internal enemy.

What is FAR more scary is that the Japanese SDF had the missile that flew over it's air-space spotted and despite a lock, radar contact, and ready THAAD batteries did have the ORDER not to intercept. This means these missile tests and provocations are politically wanted in Japan, I am guessing to make the SDF move away from a pure defensive army.

And this right here is why this entire situation is just a big joke. NK can not attack anything, the moment they do they lose the ability to gain internal stability from it.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. This was an inside job Sep 8, 2017, 00:21 eRe4s3r

Can we just talk about how they did not just lose 143 million identities, but how they did store them in plaintext in an web-accessible SQL database that got pwned via an input hack on one of their (many) wrongly configured external domains? Only people who want that data to leak mismanage it like this.

12142 Comments. 608 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo