Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10259 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 15:55 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:41:
KS wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:23:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:02:
Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 13:46:
At its core, cultural appropriation is treating cultures like a pick-and-mix grab bag of ideas for the dominant majority culture (almost always white)

That's that article in a nutshell. White liberal guilt hipster denounces Whitey as the source of all that's bad in the world. Gee, shocker. Rolleyes

This guy said it really well....

That's how cultural exchange works - you use bits and pieces from other groups of people and fuse it with other stuff. Sichuan cuisine, for example, exists because somebody brought hot peppers from the Americas over to China, where they were promptly assimilated and woven into the cuisine. Or think of fusion cuisine in general, like the food trucks that combine Korean and Mexican food around here.

It only feels like appropriation to me if you're actually claiming to be the original source of something. But I read a lot of broad accusations of it.

And this guy....

I've heard Mexican people saying they don't give a flying fuck if others want to celebrate Día de Muertos. And here we have Halloween parties, completely out of context.

I'm from Argentina. One of the latest winners of the Tango World Cup was a japanese couple. You won't hear ANYONE complain about japanese people "appropriating" our culture. On the contrary, people here are happy our stuff is known all over the world. Even Schwarzenegger doing random shit to the tune of Por una Cabeza in True Lies is only ever seen as funny. I don't think I know ANYONE who was offended by that.

Exactly. Man, this new bullshit PC era so needs to fucking die...yet again.

I can't believe I'm responding to you, but you picked the beginning sentences and ignored the rest.

Cultural appropriation is taking someone's culture and treating it like a costume or a gimmick. There's a stark difference between that and exchanging ideas, such as your sichuan example.

It is called borrowing an idea. It is one thing to make a racist portrayal, and quite another to borrow a colorful attire because it looks nice. Or cool. Or scary.

There is nothing wrong with that. It is a made up offense that people have to be "educated" to take offense at, and only then can you play an asinine guilt game with the "offenders" of the newly-educated "offendee".

It is a grotesquely racist concept.

If someone were to go trick-or-treating as a "video gamer," wearing baggy khaki cargo pants, white running shoes, a My Little Pony t-shirt, a trenchcoat, a fedora, and ran around going "Look at me, I'm a video gamer, I've never touched a girl!" a handful of people here would be offended.

But the problem is the person that is offended, not the one dressing like that....

Political correctness is a bullshit excuse for not granting other people their freedoms.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2016, 12:46 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 11:27:
The first article is right; everything we've really seen for the PC VR has been tech demos or very short experiences that appear to be little more than the VR equivalent of a lame mobile phone game. Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars are the only two "full games" for VR, and they already were full games before VR. Of those two, only E:D is announced for both Oculus and Vive.
I'm excited to get my headset, but I'm seriously concerned about longevity. The current listings of games are aimed more at showing it off than actually using it for a full adventure.

Longevity will be even worse an issue because there is no back catalog. Games supporting VR need to be either already basically made for it (Racing games, flying sims, space sims) or they need to be made specifically for it. Hence why I am still waiting to see where this goes ;/

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 17, 2016, 11:02 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 09:53:
"Players want free content without realising the impact
of their actions on the entire games industry."

No you jackass, players want content that isn't ripped out of the game in the first place. And in the other they don't want malware infecting their machines and turning them into bitcoin miners or part of some botnet.

Fix your ads and it won't be a problem.

Exactly, by giving control over ads to 3rd parties, they gave up any rights to complain against ad-blocking.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 17, 2016, 11:00 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 09:40:
Was reading about that over at k...KS needs to get their shit in order, especially after dumping amazon as a payment option that worked just fine.

Ever since KS changed from Amazon I also can not actually pay anything anymore...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2016, 12:17 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:58:
So they can profit off of it?

Customer that kills itself definitely costs them profit, no?

News Comments > Egypt Civilization Demo
1. Re: Egypt Civilization Demo Mar 16, 2016, 12:16 eRe4s3r

My email address is worth more than a free demo ;p  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2016, 16:20 eRe4s3r

Dev wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 15:37:
Fion wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 13:56:
Not a farmville clone, much much more in that game to do than farmville. I find it a fun, relaxing game with a lot of hidden depth and content to unlock as you and the seasons advance.
Plus as I understand it (haven't tried it yet) it's also mod friendly.

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 12:41:
Seriously, Stardew Valley? Oh, PC Master Race, how you have fallen! A Farmville clone as the top seller? I'm so disappointed in you...
But hey, the highest rated game on steam right now is actually Factorio
http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520
PC game all the way

Factorio and Stardew are imo both great games Very different though

News Comments > Paradox & Obsidian Announcement This Week
8. Re: Paradox & Obsidian Announcement This Week Mar 14, 2016, 07:39 eRe4s3r

Final Score: Sensible

Your capacity for evil is minimal, and you seem like a rational, reasonable sort. That’s good! As long as it doesn’t get you killed...

lol

I admit it, I never roleplay evil characters, can't do it.

Dungeon Keeper remake?

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
4. Re: Sunday Interviews Mar 13, 2016, 16:51 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 16:19:
And the rest of us begged him to quit touching established franchises.

He is the only one that touches Valve properties to begin with. It seems Valve has completely given up on doing anything with it.

News Comments > SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing
5. Re: SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing Mar 13, 2016, 16:43 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 16:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 16:38:
There was a Star Trek Enterprise D tech demo, and also a Voyager demo that was done for one of the headsets, which I would love to play with buut no way am I getting a headset in the next 10 years

ten years? In like, 3, the original Vives will be around $200 used.

In like 2 years generation 2 will be out as well.. fixing all the issues (hopefully)

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 13, 2016, 13:13 eRe4s3r

Actually Lesson 1 would be "don't sign anything"  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 13, 2016, 12:13 eRe4s3r

That was an amazing match  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 13, 2016, 05:24 eRe4s3r

ZeroPike1 wrote on Mar 12, 2016, 16:11:
I dunno I deal with some annoying aspects of mass transit here in Germany already. Like rush hour trains getting only 2 passenger cars, and you cannot even fit people on it, it even has more stops.

And wait 20mins later and a 4 passenger car train arrives and its under a quarter full. And its been like that for longer then I've been alive and it never changes. You would think, ohh more people? need more cars? nope.

Why try to run simulations and crap to see when you need more trains or bus routes? Just actually have the planners ride them for an average week back and fourth. Stuff would change real quick then I'm sure.

Or trains breaking down because it's too hot, too stormy, too wet, or because it *gasp* snowed, in winter. (Also modern trains you can't open the windows, hence why broken AC can make these things a deathtrap)

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider DirectX 12 Patch
12. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider DirectX 12 Patch Mar 12, 2016, 04:54 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Mar 12, 2016, 04:42:
Judging from youtube videos what this game needs is a patch to make the AI not appear to be functionally brain dead.

Could be said for every Tomb Raider / console game ever though

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 11, 2016, 14:29 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 13:25:
Clearly you don't understand how AI, probabilities, and random deterministic numerical forecasting work. Suffice it to say, with each piece removed it gets easier for the machine. That's why it could predict the win so far out. But go ahead and be dazzled by the "magic" of it all.

You should watch the match

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 11, 2016, 12:01 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 10:55:
How could he expect to win when he's playing something that can calculate almost all possible variations and outcomes instantly.

If it could do that then none of this would be such a big deal. Go is ridiculous, an AI learning how to play it like this is really impressive.

There are 2.1×10^170 possible positions on the board. That's why they had to develop new methods of neural networking (it uses 2 in conjunction) to beat the champ... it can't just "look up all of the moves" and it certainly doesn't make it's decisions instantly.

Exactly, this is by FAR the greatest breakthrough in applied neutral network AI development so far. And if Cutter had watched the matches he would know the AI wasn't brute-forcing anything. It made creative opening moves it had learned were the most efficient (based on many thousands, probably millions, of simulations against itself) and it had creative and unpredictable changes of focus on the various "action" fields in Go (corners). For an AI to have such a thing as shifting focus, re-weighting territories and full grasp of the rules of GO is astounding. Many AI scientists said this was still 20 to 50 years away!

If you know even a tiny bit of Go you know it can't be brute-forced... hence why this AI prediction (in the 2nd match) was so utterly amazing. For an AI to know it has won a good 30 minutes before anyone even saw wtf the AI was talking about means the AI has to understand Go. And it could never arrive at this conclusion by brute-forcing possible moves. It understood that the human player made a mistake that it could leverage.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 11, 2016, 09:55 eRe4s3r

The victories were predicted by said AI ~30 minutes before that human player surrendered. Think about that The AI had noticed it had won 30 minutes before the best GO player noticed he had lost.

I salute our go playing machine overlords.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2016, 09:38 eRe4s3r

You all look at Apple, but that bank robbery story is far more insane of the 2 stories... those weren't just hackers, they walked away with actual money, 81 millions and very nearly more than half a billion

Bangladesh Bank didn't even notice they were being pwned.. lmao

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 11, 2016, 07:17 eRe4s3r

ZeroPike1 wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 06:38:
I seen a streamer who was wearing a bikini top, she had blonde hair as well. Terrible at the game she was playing. I found it on a random twitch stream when I was watching over Christmas.

Its the sexual appeal style, have some skinny, pretty thing playing games without clothes on to get the (let's be honest) 13+ year old male demographic.

Its just to grab viewer's. Instead of relying on a persons character and speaking/entertainment talent. You go the cheapest route possible and use a body to sell product.

Twitch actually made a rule against this... personally I don't give 2 shits how a streamer looks, what I do care about is whether he/she has a nice voice and can actually play the game worth a damn. Bonus points when there is humor involved.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Sets Ubi Records
33. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Sets Ubi Records Mar 10, 2016, 12:04 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 10:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 09:33:
Am I the only one who tried the beta an was already sick of that gameplay from that alone? Aside from shooting there wasn't really much to do there...

This is how you based your time in the beta and came to the conclusion the game is lame because they locked down the beta and only gave you a small taste of the real game.

Now had you played the final release of the game and based your decision then you would have some validity to your comment. But seriously, I take this comment as, I ate the ice cream cone, but I didn't taste the ice cream. That about sums it us here for you.

Seriously, I was amazed how much was held back from the beta in the original areas and how many missions popped up when you go back to the base and open up new areas for the med and tech centers. You guys really have no clue how much more content there is in this game but you all are basing your game play from a small beta that gave us literally nothing.

No, I base it on the fact that I was bored while playing the beta demo Bullet sponges and boring loot. Bad AI and bad story. Result: A pass

Not to mention this game will be dead in a month or less MP wise.

10259 Comments. 513 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo