Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10938 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blitzkrieg 3 Launches
2. Re: Blitzkrieg 3 Launches Jun 2, 2017, 19:22 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 17:38:
So many mixed reviews on this one. I wanted to pick it up but I am not sure anymore.

Had "sale" all over it ever since they talked about "neural AI" and super slow grind heavy (replay singleplayer campaign for achievements, basically) "progression system" that does not reward you for playing against said "neural AI" in Skirmish (the campaign AI is 100% scripted and you gotta play it and rush for achievements to unlock units and advance in the tech era apparently) ;p

Sounds like fun? Not to me. And oh yeah, always online singleplayer campaign and skirmish. No offline play whatsoever.

Was this supposed to be a freemium f2p game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
6. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 2, 2017, 19:07 eRe4s3r

The fact I am agreeing with you must be stars aligning or something, this was, by the way, not a mere scam, but organized crime. They made tidy sums of milling asset flips -> trading cards. We are talking $5k or more per game and dozens of games. You can assume that a 100$ fee isn't gonna curb that kinda crime, which is why Steam isn't even trying to do it via this route. And it's already problematic that steam is making 30% of what is essential money laundering.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 2, 2017, 10:18 eRe4s3r

sure, "accidentally"  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 1, 2017, 10:25 eRe4s3r

How could any data saved there even be accessed if it were properly encoded and encrypted? Lastpass does something similar (though not in this scope) and even if you pwned all their systems, without the user based encryption key aka, masterpassword that only the user knows, you couldn't decrypt anything.

So wow, this company might as well shut down.

News Comments > ELEX in October
1. Re: ELEX in October Jun 1, 2017, 10:16 eRe4s3r

Yeah, I am ready, hopefully this won't be a repeat of Risen 2  

News Comments > Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez
1. Re: 2K Acquires Kerbal Space Program May 31, 2017, 10:04 eRe4s3r

I have miniscule hope that this means the game improves and I am talking better planet surfaces, actual point to the game, etc.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed May 31, 2017, 06:14 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2017, 03:35:
Beamer wrote on May 30, 2017, 12:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:43:
Op ED - Is Polygon harming your sanity?

It's a book review, with the book somewhat positing that question, and the review ending with:
A Parent's Guide to Video Games is a useful little book for anyone whose children play games, and who wants to feel assured that there's no harm being done.

It's interesting. Last year my son would try to sneak his way into CoD and Just Cause 3 when I wasn't looking, and shoot peds/teammates just to see what would happen. This year, he's kind of become sensitized to violence and avoids games like that, preferring to play more sandboxy games like BeamNG Drive or Beseige, or roguelikes like Rogue Legacy or FTL. I wonder if that's a typical progression, or just his personality.

Besiege is a lot more violent than COD...

News Comments > New Intel CPU Announcements
28. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 14:18 eRe4s3r

BobBob wrote on May 30, 2017, 13:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 12:04:
BobBob wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:43:
Wake me up when they start to mass-produce quantum processors. Dozey

Quantum computing has so many downsides that you should probably stay asleep even if they are mass produced. I mean, that's not even talking about the whole driver issue, interoperability issue with EVERYTHING including basic concepts like network stacks and encryption, and that Windows will not ever support quantum computing unless it has 50% market share in desktop (good luck with that ;P)

In Reality, you would still need 2 CPU variations in your system, quantum chip, and x86, unless you wanted to lose access to 99.99% of all software ever made. Including API's and stuff, like even decoding MP3 or JPG would be non-trivial to implement on quantum based compute units.

I mean, I want sci-fi to happen just as much as any other geek, but I think Quantum CPU's are -1- direction, not necessarily the direction we actually wanna be going for desktop/gaming

Interesting point of view, but only has one problem. Your brain (which arguably relies on quantum processes, organically) is compatible with those mentioned above, and if it's proven that human consciousness is a result of quantum field processes, well, basically, the AI based on said quantum processing should be able to interact and control the primitive conventional processes we have today - if for some reason there was ever a need.

Put it this way. Close your eyes and imagine running a computer and all the interactions of said computer, and imagine the outcome. Now you explain that result.

Now imagine if your brain was directly connected to whatever it needed to control to give provide the imagination a functional and productive result - be it external calculations, robotics, holographic imaging systems, controlling machinery, nanoscale 3D printers, etc.

That would the same for the future quantum computer.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20161102-quantum-neuroscience/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm

To wonder how a quantum computer will interface with a classical computer, would be like wondering how an automobile is going to assist the horse when it pulls the buggy. Or if someone mentions it can also fly - meaning an airplane - wondering how they are going to put wings on the horse.

Ok that is an really interesting and though provoking perspective I hadn't considered yet... how close you think we are to that, though?

22. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 13:34 eRe4s3r

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 30, 2017, 13:24:
Ok serious question since I haven't been keeping up on cores/threads in at least 5 years.

What exactly would an 18 core, 36 thread chip be useful for? Wouldn't most gaming not take advantage of any of that?

This would be a chip for rendering and compiling right?

When they say enthusiast, they mean streamers and youtube let's players. And yeah, more cores/threads is incredibly useful then. It allows you MUCH better stream image quality.

Obviously anything multi-threaded benefits immensely from a CPU with 18 cores ^^ But only if Windows actually updates their OS to support this, because I think they have a virtual CPU limit.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2017, 13:32 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on May 30, 2017, 12:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:43:

It's a book review, with the book somewhat positing that question, and the review ending with:
A Parent's Guide to Video Games is a useful little book for anyone whose children play games, and who wants to feel assured that there's no harm being done.

I still think clickbait headlines leading to book reviews are pretty lame way of wasting my time and sanity. Ok, maybe as somone who plays "games" I know what they are and that they can be both good and incredibly bad so I am prejudiced from the start. Thinking about these social crap games on mobile and MMO's specifically, but this article doesn't even cover that.

And I wouldn't mind someone taking an actual scientific look at social games and how incredibly bad they are for children development.

20. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 13:17 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on May 30, 2017, 12:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 12:04:
In Reality, you would still need 2 CPU variations in your system, quantum chip, and x86

It's likely we will see quantum coprocessors alongside not only x86 but also RISC/microcontrollers like ARM. Indeed, Samsung has such a patent dating to over a decade ago.

Interesting, so that would make quantum "cpu's" really only another "CPU ability" for the OS to access (although I guess 2 fundamental different CPU's architectures on 1 die is still pretty difficult). For encryption and some calculations I assume. And then there'd be no compatibility issues either in the OS. So Quantum CPU's would probably not even exist, they'd be x86-64 cpu's or arm/risc with quantum chips.

18. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 12:04 eRe4s3r

BobBob wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:43:
Wake me up when they start to mass-produce quantum processors. Dozey

Quantum computing has so many downsides that you should probably stay asleep even if they are mass produced. I mean, that's not even talking about the whole driver issue, interoperability issue with EVERYTHING including basic concepts like network stacks and encryption, and that Windows will not ever support quantum computing unless it has 50% market share in desktop (good luck with that ;P)

In Reality, you would still need 2 CPU variations in your system, quantum chip, and x86, unless you wanted to lose access to 99.99% of all software ever made. Including API's and stuff, like even decoding MP3 or JPG would be non-trivial to implement on quantum based compute units.

I mean, I want sci-fi to happen just as much as any other geek, but I think Quantum CPU's are -1- direction, not necessarily the direction we actually wanna be going for desktop/gaming

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 30, 2017, 11:53 eRe4s3r

Is this a joke? Before the law, all are equal. What's next, passports removed from annoying reporters? Opposition party members?

That smells of fascism.

In fact, let me re-phrase that, this smell like Australia wants to become the 2nd Turkey.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2017, 11:43 eRe4s3r

5. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 10:21 eRe4s3r

Benchmarks or bust, though that I7X with 15% better IPC and 6 or 8 cores sounds like a superb option. If you look at Ryzen 1800X then I wonder what AMD can even do here to compete if Intel priced the I7X competitively a few $ below the 1800 and 1600 respectively.

And such a CPU would probably last you a decade the way CPU performance is going lately. But all that said, next Intel CPU (coffee lake?) is coming soonish too. Maybe one ought to wait for that one, it is gonna run on the same platform.

News Comments > Memorial Day Legal Briefs
9. Re: Memorial Day Legal Briefs May 30, 2017, 06:47 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on May 29, 2017, 21:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 29, 2017, 19:45:
I guess that's what happens when you make an emission law that is based on laboratory tests instead of real life measurements on the street..... Guess also happened because lobbying massacred the wording of the laws EU wide.
If the manufacturers broke the law it would have nothing to do with whether the tests were laboratory based or real-life.

But if auto makers found a loophole in the regs that would be a different story.

Yeah, the law says "cars have to meet testing cycle BLA BLA specs" , and the lobby created the testing cycle. This is also why you see no law consequences in Europe, the entire emission law was simply borked from the get go. The funny thing is a device that specifically shuts down filtering when not in that cycle is illegal, but you know what isn't illegal? When you shut down filtering to "protect the motor"

As if the motor suddenly broke down because you injected a bit more adblue and more regularly at that... oh well ;/

The thing that french mag tested (emissions on the street) isn't actually defined properly.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 29, 2017, 19:50 eRe4s3r

ItBurn wrote on May 29, 2017, 14:01:
I tried to get the Diablo 2 mod "eastern sun" working for like 8 hours. Bought legit game, didn't work. Tried all combinations of "alternative" versions, didn't work. I just gave up with D2 mods. I can play vanilla D2 no problem.

If you wanna play Median XL 2017 you need to get their "launcher", seriously, just do it and safe yourself tons of hassle. It handles all the nonsense and fixed my modding issues. For some reason even when I had correct version and everything set up right, Median XL refused to launch. Launcher makes it smooth and painless, already lvl 37 (Scythe Necromancer with tons of non-corpse based summons, this is how the Necro should have been) ;p

Modding Diablo 2 is dependent on the version you have updated to btw, most mods are for 1.10, 1.12 or 1.13 (which of course, is a bit shit, since 1.14 is the compatibility update for W10...)

My advise, google -> diablo 2 glide wrapper and play the game in 3dfx mode, yes, it really works, and you can scale the resolution 800x600 up to your screen res (although the pixels will look kinda funny then)

7. Re: Memorial Day Legal Briefs May 29, 2017, 19:45 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on May 29, 2017, 16:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 29, 2017, 13:18:
If only it were limited to VW and Fiat, but if the info that flies through hacker community in Germany is true this cheating is done (in slightly different less retarded form) by ALL manufacturers with Diesel engines. Literally, ALL of them.

Not only the hacker community, a recent publication of the Science&Vie French magazine had all the dirt on this and it wasn't only for diesel vehicles if I remember right. All manufacturers were represented, all of them cheating on the test when compared to actual road tests. Some less than others, but all of them were caught cheating.

Heck, they even prove that industries other than car manufacturers also blatantly cheat and/or lie.

Uploaded the whole article of the December 2016 #1191 release to IMGUR if you can read french, but no need to read it when you look at the graphs...

http://imgur.com/a/jUVWw

EDIT: Sorry, stupid IMGUR rotated the pic of the graph -_-

I guess that's what happens when you make an emission law that is based on laboratory tests instead of real life measurements on the street..... Guess also happened because lobbying massacred the wording of the laws EU wide.

Btw, on the hacker congress I mean they debugged the engine code and proved that all engines shut down particle filtering below certain temperatures (of course, they claim to protect the engine) and that happens when temperatures are below 17C to 12C (70% to 50% of the time in Germany) And guess what the testing temperature is never below in laboratory tests. Funny thing that, eh?

So they built engines that don't last in European continental climate zone unless they cheat the emissions... sigh ;( And yes, that temperature shut down actually affects nearly all engines, not just diesel, but mostly turbo and diesel engines obviously.

This entire industry is corrupt and cheating... and no government in the EU seems to be doing anything against it. Pisses me off.

2. Re: Memorial Day Legal Briefs May 29, 2017, 13:18 eRe4s3r

If only it were limited to VW and Fiat, but if the info that flies through hacker community in Germany is true this cheating is done (in slightly different less retarded form) by ALL manufacturers with Diesel engines. Literally, ALL of them.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 28, 2017, 15:41 eRe4s3r

Median XL that is, worth a try ,P  

10938 Comments. 547 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo