Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 9970 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Summer Games
18. Re: Overwatch Summer Games Aug 3, 2016, 07:24 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 03:47:
VaranDragon wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 03:21:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 00:07:
Caladell wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 21:26:
Wow. That sounds pretty bad. Personally, I have never had anything like that. Most I've had has been maybe 3 win/loss streaks, and it seems like that happens mostly due to one whole team just having an 'off' night or whatever.

I had a 12 game losing streak that lasted over a few days. I was quite salty by the end of it. On the plus side, I won several in a row after that.

Was just about to post something similar. I think Eraser is experiencing something of a confirmation bias. People tend to forget this is a team game, if you need to carry just one bad team player in a 6 player team and the other team doesn't, you will lose.

It's most definitely confirmation bias.
Especially as evidenced by the "unless you quit and rejoin due to teams being rigged against you" ... quitting and rejoining does nothing. Matchmaking does not take into account your most recent games specifically, it simply looks at your rating and group composition if you're in one, nothing more.

Confirmation bias or plain bad luck is possible and I won't deny that, as MM is opaque, and you can't even see your own MMR, but ever since I started to quit after 2 wins out of a lobby with absolute no exception my W/R went back up to 49% (before it was 37% trending lower). So whatever quitting out of a lobby after 2 rounds and looking for a new match does... it works for me. I do this completely regardless of wins/loss in those 2 rounds btw. And if MM were working properly and the way you say, then what I do would not have improved my W/R. But I feel like this is kind of a shitty exploit, so I still felt the need to complain.

Lucio Ball may be the only game mode in Overwatch I actually enjoy playing btw Mainly because it ain't hobbled by this atrocious nemesis of mine, the MM. ^^

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Overwatch Summer Games Aug 2, 2016, 22:58 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 22:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 21:18:
1 is a single win -> infinite lose streak unless you quit and rejoin due to teams being rigged against you

As in a team lose streak? Even if you lose, can you still practice skills (getting lots of killstreaks, make them bleed man)

Yeah but I am a simple gamer I like winning more than losing... getting killstreaks is also not really rewarding in this game, barely any "loot" payout, if you get my drift.

8. Re: Overwatch Summer Games Aug 2, 2016, 21:58 eRe4s3r

Caladell wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 21:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 21:18:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 20:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 20:51:
Overwatch is one of these games I stopped playing and never returned to.. did they ever actually fix this god awful matchmaking in a patch yet?

I've never had an issue with it. What's the exact complaint?

As a skilled solo player there are only 2 types of matches you get from this MM

1 is a single win -> infinite lose streak unless you quit and rejoin due to teams being rigged against you
2 is a join into a losing round

Is it a problem of too much FPS skill pushing me into insane MM ranks and thus weird edge cases? Don't care, I play to have fun, Overwatch regularly matches me against people where I don't have fun if I even so much as play "decently" ;/

Or put simpler, if I play REALLY good 1 or 2 rounds, the game punishes me for it with 5+ rolfstomp losses.. and that ain't fun. Wish I could figure out why that happens to me and not to say, you. Is it my region and thus my ping during the times I play putting me in weird edge cases of match making?

Btw, this happened to me over a dozen times. It annoyed me enough I threw the game (not literally) out of the window.

Wow. That sounds pretty bad. Personally, I have never had anything like that. Most I've had has been maybe 3 win/loss streaks, and it seems like that happens mostly due to one whole team just having an 'off' night or whatever.

Well the problem is when I play the flying rocket launcher women my Quake/UT skills kick back in so I think it just wants to match me against people of equal skill. The problem is once I can't play the rocket launch dudess or the grenade launcher dude, I totally suck. So it isn't really a problem of the MM, as much as it is a problem the MM causes me because I have top skills with 2 chars and otherwise just OK skills with the rest. So I always end matched up against the MM ratings of my "top game" and not of my "low" game. And it takes a good 5 losses to get me back to normal MM rating.. so then I can finally play a normal game with chars that I don't pwn with. But as soon as team composition forces me to play the 2 chars I am *REALLY* good at, I end up matched against top skilled players again.. and repeat.

I think that is very annoying ;( I mean I get it, I am skilled with 2 chars and the game tries to balance that when I dominate, except when I don't play them I am also matched against top skilled players... and it takes longer to get the MMR down than it takes to get it up. So in a sadistic way, I have to play really badly longer than I have to play good to have fun 1 or 2 rounds.... and it is the absolute worst when I am forced to play shield/healer classes. I totally, absolutely SUCK AT PLAYING THEM. This patient sitting around and twiddling thumbs in positions is not my playstyle.

4. Re: Overwatch Summer Games Aug 2, 2016, 21:18 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 20:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 20:51:
Overwatch is one of these games I stopped playing and never returned to.. did they ever actually fix this god awful matchmaking in a patch yet?

I've never had an issue with it. What's the exact complaint?

As a skilled solo player there are only 2 types of matches you get from this MM

2 is a join into a losing round

Is it a problem of too much FPS skill pushing me into insane MM ranks and thus weird edge cases? Don't care, I play to have fun, Overwatch regularly matches me against people where I don't have fun if I even so much as play "decently" ;/

Or put simpler, if I play REALLY good 1 or 2 rounds, the game punishes me for it with 5+ rolfstomp losses.. and that ain't fun. Wish I could figure out why that happens to me and not to say, you. Is it my region and thus my ping during the times I play putting me in weird edge cases of match making?

Btw, this happened to me over a dozen times. It annoyed me enough I threw the game (not literally) out of the window.

1. Re: Overwatch Summer Games Aug 2, 2016, 20:51 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Announced
9. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Announced Aug 2, 2016, 15:55 eRe4s3r

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 13:47:

It's almost like Games Workshop is giving a damn again.

That made me laugh for various reasons, the only thing GW gives a damn about is money Btw at 0:20 you can see space marines with glowing runes on their weapons.... is that lore friendly?

And grid based... sigh I wonder how THEY will manage to fuck up diagonal movement, not like we lack examples of that already.

News Comments > New Titan X Released
12. Re: New Titan X Released Aug 2, 2016, 15:29 eRe4s3r

Well this naming scheme isn't at all going to be confusing as hell....  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 1, 2016, 22:29 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 18:34:
Well, if its the secret to the Maxwell VS Kepler power savings, AMD now knows about it and can implement it in Navi or later architectures, or perhaps they already knew and have it in Vega. We'll see.

Hope dies famously last ,)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 22:19 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 17:54:
Quboid wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 16:37:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 15:13:
First successful parachute jump--without a chute--from 25k.

So, I hate to be that guy, but how many unsuccessful ones were there?

It's not a parachute jump if it's without a chute.

HA! Most gloriously petty victory ever! Headbang Laugh

(and I was quoting someone else too!)

soooo... first guy to successfully execute a... jump? not clickbaity enough man.

Technically it would just be "dude falls into safety net from higher than usual" ;p

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2016, 15:38 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 15:35:
I can already see the Steam Reviews for NMS:

Not Recommended (thumbs down)
Posted: September 26
This game ended up being surprisingly stale. And there's no end game.

549.0 hrs on record

4 of 5 people (80%) found this review helpful.
1 person found this review funny.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2016, 14:46 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 13:16:
I wonder if this is the reason why so many want NMS to fail.

+ Indie title that suspiciously sounds like other ambitious (and failed/shallow) procedurally generated games such as Spore, Godus, etc.
+ Very little demonstration of the gameplay for the first 2 years of hype; no commentary about the end game until recently.
+ Excessive fawning by the gaming media 'elite' (e.g. usual supsects Kotaku, Polygon, Destroid, etc)
+ Priced as an AAA game for an unknown/untested studio
+ No mods

Does that sound right?

Do we actually know that there won't be mods? If it can be made to run totally offline then there will be mods. Aside that, 60, indy dev with no titles to their name, and too much hype.. never a good sign.

That said, I put 150 hours into MGS5:PP.. so I dig sandboxes where you can just troll around. Thing is though, I haven't really seen anything like that in the previews of NMS, maybe they just kept it secret.

News Comments > Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled
10. Re: Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled Aug 1, 2016, 14:41 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 13:55:
Apparently they should use the Starcraft universe, see story in today's news.

But that is using the Starcraft 2 engine and thus Blizzard retains full control.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 13:50 eRe4s3r

Baristan wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 23:19:
Just tried WSUS Offline on my broken win7 install. Some updates failed but it did install 50+ successfully. Now windows update doesn't crash while searching for new updates. Guess FOSS is better than all of Microsoft's repair tools.

Yeah it's not the logical connection to think that WSUS Offline would help in this regard but at least for me this tool is one of the few essentials I have always on my backup drive. When WU refuses to update, WSUS offline does.. always. Though sometimes It actually requires that you cut the internet connection so WU doesn't get stuck in an automated search loop or crashes randomly during these update installs.

Anyway, glad it worked for you... I have had a TON of WU issues so yeah. Always fun, isn't it?

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
14. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 1, 2016, 13:21 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 02:38:
descender wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 01:45:
This can't be done with the chip cards.

Chiped cards can be cloned already, and there's enough problems that MiTM attacks can do everything needed to get all the data. The only thing that they might lack is the card's pin and expiry date. And in some of those cases you don't even need the pin, the exp date is enough.

From a security standpoint of old magstripe vs emv cards. EMV is the better choice since the barrier of entry for skimmers to get into this is much higher. On the other side, another 5 years you're likely going to see them looking at another countermeasure system. That's not even touching that the old magstrip skimmers still work on those new cards because they still encode everything on there as a fallback if the emv system fails.

The real problem with the US implementation vs everywhere else is they dumped pin's and went to digital signatures. Why? Who the fuck knows.

Don't forget that the technology is already decades old in Europe, we already had chip skimmers/cloners and MitM attacks for chipped cards. Though the pin has to be captured via camera or fake keypad otherwise the card clone is totally useless.

Not seeing any future technology coming in this aspect of payment here... and here we can even withdraw money within a store.. so you pay 200 for a 16 purchase and you get paid out 184 in cash ;p Saves you walking to an atm... and the store devices are usually skimmer free, as employees are usually monthly trained to detect all kind of new skimmers. While ATM's are never properly controlled thanks to banks putting them outside of the secured areas of their buildings (although that is stopping now)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 1, 2016, 12:27 eRe4s3r

That explains why NVIDIA cards are more power efficient...  

News Comments > Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled
3. Re: Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled Aug 1, 2016, 10:22 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 09:56:
I'm still amazed they made it to steam...

Called it back then, no way this was gonna work out

Steam TOS even forbids such projects

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 31, 2016, 17:11 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 16:29:
Last I heard, some guy was claiming it was going to "revolutionize gaming" and change it forever. Haha. Seriously. It looks so boring. It's the same minecrafty grindy stuff every other game has been putting in. So there aren't any invisible walls.. does that really mean everything out there will be worth exploring?

Maybe it will be moddable.. that would be the defining thing for this... but seeing as it has some nonsensensical forced online component I doubt it.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 31, 2016, 14:56 eRe4s3r

This chip card thing is kinda hilarious from an European point of view.. and even more so for a German... I've had an EC card with chip for a decade now...  

News Comments > Super Kaiju Early Access [Update 2]
5. Re: Super Kaiju Early Access [Updated] Jul 31, 2016, 12:28 eRe4s3r

Blue wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 12:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 11:31:
on Steam page it clearly only supports the Vive..

This has changed since this story was posted. The game went up with logos for both Rift and Vive.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/462520/discussions/0/360670708790154105

Ah

News Comments > Super Kaiju Early Access [Update 2]
3. Re: Super Kaiju Early Access [Updated] Jul 31, 2016, 11:31 eRe4s3r

on Steam page it clearly only supports the Vive..  

9970 Comments. 499 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo