Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11412 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development
11. Re: Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development Sep 14, 2017, 14:55 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 13:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 12:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 12:19:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 11:59:
Toxic behavior in an online FPS? Now there's a first.
At least the "reporting" function works and they do take action.

True, but what does that help when the community as a whole is toxic AF.... and if you report someone in a squad of 3.. you have good chances to be counter reported +.+
Action is only taken after reports are verified. I don't understand your point.

My point is if a squad of 3 reports you, it's gonna be checked and verified (even if nothing happens), but if only 1 person out of 5 reports 3 in a squad, nothing is ever checked (well, at least I never got feedback so I am assuming nothing happened)

The situation was what I described, a squad of 3 randomly assigned to my squad of 2 to fill a game, they reported my buddy and me after much shit-flinging in chat (he was tank, I was healer) because in the team fights I tried to keep the tank alive by healing and the other 3 always ran in front of the tank and got constantly killed...

I am gonna assume that my report of them would have done nothing. Well, their reports of me + buddy did nothing, but as I said, this report system does nothing to fix the general problem of this game in pub matches. Namely, it's toxic AF fast and if you backtalk you can forget your report ever doing anything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development
4. Re: Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development Sep 14, 2017, 12:35 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 12:19:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 11:59:
Toxic behavior in an online FPS? Now there's a first.
At least the "reporting" function works and they do take action.

True, but what does that help when the community as a whole is toxic AF.... and if you report someone in a squad of 3.. you have good chances to be counter reported +.+

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Cheaters Banned
5. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Cheaters Banned Sep 14, 2017, 11:13 eRe4s3r

Good, but 8000 of 1m... seems bit low (yes, I mean for daily bans ;p) probably meaning they can't detect half of the cheats.  

News Comments > Avernum 3: Ruined World Announced
4. Re: Avernum 3: Ruined World Announced Sep 14, 2017, 05:54 eRe4s3r

PHJF wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 20:33:
Those are some sweet engine upgrades.

Nothing hurts quite as much as sharp pixels and sarcasm.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Sep 13, 2017, 19:36 eRe4s3r

Squirmer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:07:
I think he's implying that if you're a white guy you really don't have the same perspective on someone throwing around racist insults.

You don't need to have the same perspective, an argument is always based on 2 perspectives.... anyhow, I just thought his post really tone-deaf. You don't bring gender and skin color into an argument, unless you wanna look really iffy on your moral pedestal

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 13, 2017, 18:54 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 18:32:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 18:23:
If he offends you, stop watching his streams or youtubes

simple

You're a white guy, correct?

Are you implying what I think you are implying? I thought you were against racism and sexism.... must have misremembered that.

In fact, you think it's ok to invalidate someones opinion because he isn't a skin color or gender you approve? Or was that a "heat of the moment" kind of thing?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 17:52 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 15:31:
Don't regulate self-driving cars.

Yeah, let's just not even worry. Who cares if a bad line of code slams a self-driving car into a bus and kills 30 people? It's not going to bother Trump, he's safe in the White House Mar-A-Lago.

Kidding about Trump aside, the thought of 100000 test cars driving around with no regulation to prohibit anything is fucking terrifying.

Won't happen anyway, since these US companies might wanna sell their cars not just in the USA And so the cars would always be regulated, by the EU, by Canada etc.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 16:34 eRe4s3r

Wow that is one hell of a depressing and eye opening podcast

But this here is far less https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhn6yrNzM3M depressing, seems a grey area, if this goes before a court that would be extremely interesting....

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2017, 16:52.

News Comments > Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content
6. Re: Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content Sep 13, 2017, 11:13 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 10:16:
The combat system actually grew on me a bit surprisingly.

The key, as posted earlier, is in understanding how range choices interact and picking choices that suit your fleet setup.

They have made changes to combat that favor mixed fleets and tactics more and more. Additional changes are coming soon to better balance defenses. Beams, for instance, now fire at medium range with a penalty to rate of fire.

The biggest issue is that their tutorials are not the greatest on that topic and you have to read the GDDs on the forum to understand some of the more intricate parts of it. It's not my favorite combat system in the world but it is a million times better than the no-choice Gal Civ III crap.

I don't watch every battle but I definitely don't skip every one either. You can choose different camera options and you can use the AR view in combat to get hard numbers and view ship paths.

Well yeah, if you measure it against GC3 Endless Space 2 is a masterpiece But I am not a fan of the missile focus.... we'll see if they fixed it in 1.48 or what it is now... they added a TON of new bugs though.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
2. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Sep 13, 2017, 11:11 eRe4s3r

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 10:59:
Just started playing through Divinity Original Sin in anticipation of this one.

Release is in 25 hours give or take

News Comments > Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content
4. Re: Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content Sep 13, 2017, 09:59 eRe4s3r

The only good thing about this game is the fantastic art direction on the ships

Sadly, the combat system is made in such a way that you wont see your ships post early game ever again in battle

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 12, 2017, 18:16 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 16:27:
Boy, that Firewatch dev is a real nagger.

What he did may also very easily be the scumbaggiest behavior of a indy dev yet... beyond Alex Mauer (Who never had granted a license) this guy had granted a license and then DMCA'd an old video that was released under that license, revoking it (which he can't retroactively right?)

I mean, wtf? It's kinda hard to look worse than PewDiePie but that idiot dev managed it. I also have a deep and ever growing hatred for people that abuse the DMCA system even besides that...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 12, 2017, 06:14 eRe4s3r

rarely am hyped, but I am hyped for D:OS 2.. 2 more days.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 12, 2017, 04:25 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 20:16:
Amazon's new video strategy: make the next 'Game of Thrones.'

I would love to see Roger Zelazny's Amber series adapted into a show. It's a very GoT-ish adult fantasy with a large cast, tons of intrigue, action, adaptability, etc. And it has the added bonus of actually being finished.

Or any fantasy story from Markus Heitz or Tad Williams.... Amber series would make a great series though, that's true

News Comments > First Emotion Processing Unit Launches
10. Re: First Emotion Processing Unit Launches Sep 11, 2017, 17:16 eRe4s3r

Since the PR fails to do it, let me explain what this is since I find the concept really interesting.

It's basically a super fancy parser API/PLUGIN/ENGINE that can deduce the "tone" of shit happening.

You say to the AI

"I like you" in a sarcastic tone then an an AI will not understand what that means at all, at worst it will parse it word by word, at best, it will think you like it (even though you were being sarcastic), with this, the AI rates this line with these .. many.. perks

anger, fear, sadness, disgust, indifference, regret, surprise, anticipation, trust, confidence, desire and joy, pain / pleasure and frustration / satisfaction

(Just to be clear, it's not a binary thing, you need to really finely tune such neural nets to detect tone properly, except for pain/pleasure and frustration/satisfaction , and this is truly new here, which was far as I know never before done, and is one of the many basic requirements for a basic AGI. It's been stipulated that for an AI to learn it has to understand satisfaction for example, without that, it has no motivational driving force to learn. Without a motivation to learn, it is not an AGI because nothing it does isn't scripted in some way (AGI's are basically the singularity).

This is important, the bold parts are things any neural net can be trained to detect easily, and IBM watson for example has already achieved a 90ish% success rate here. This new engine adds the italic parts, which is a pretty fundamental new progression in how .. I am not sure what to call it really... I guess the "emotion detection" functions in AI systems.

Obviously, systems like these are absolutely bonkers huge in VR situations. Where you can look, talk, move around, and even gesture. For such situations, you need an AI that can detect whether what you said was one of the above mentioned things.

So yeah, not sure what this can do in practice, but if their claims are true you can expect slightly better chat bots in VR... assuming the game you are playing can afford the $$$

If there is any value to this, NVIDIA will buy them up and integrate it into their AI division. Which means it's gonna end up on mainstream GPU's... but until then it's an interesting gadget for which I am not quite sure what the point is. I mean, detection of emotions is nice and all, but we still have no way to tell an AI how to speak without it using horrible sounding synth voice.

If it ends up being in a game anywhere, then that would make characters react in realistic ways to stuff happening in the game and stuff done by the player. But obviously there is many more things to consider in that

TL;DR, this is an announcement for engine developers who want their AI to detect tone (generally speaking, of shit happening

News Comments > On Windows 10 Game Stuttering
14. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 17:03 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 16:06:
"I don't always test my code, but when I do, I test it in production."

That's the way you can behave when you have become a monopoly

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 11, 2017, 14:27 eRe4s3r

I like how Amazons plan to compete against a fantasy Epos written by a great writer and a budget that's positively insane (each episode costs what some movies cost) is to not make any fantasy series written by a great writer and instead do any random thing with low budget and no known writer, IP, or saga behind it.

Corporate logic deluxe version

I mean bloody hell, there are so many other fantasy stories to put to film, I want fantasy shows with intrigue, character development and awesome shit happening.... and only GoT (and to some extend Stranger Things) delivers

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer
7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 04:52 eRe4s3r

WaltC wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 16:57:
Frijoles wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 12:35:
Neat. Afraid I'm not that clever though. Anyone playing? Is it the same as the first game? I never got close to finishing it. The EA version might be better for me since it's only a few hours long I've read.

Besides Steam, it is also available on GOG, where I bought it yesterday. Very nice, but the game that will be released on 9/14 will be much different as the Early Access version hasn't been updated since *May* and is still alpha--aside from spanning only a few hours of the opening game play...! In the game released in four days *all* of the audio--every single line--has a voice actor behind it! Should be significantly different than the EA. I played the first one through at least three times, as memory serves--basically, I started over every time a major patch was released, as well.

Dang I completely forgot it's gonna release in 3 days.. gotta clear up some time to be prepared for my "Lich Summoner" playthrough First Act is playable and that's around 30 (ish) per cent of the game. So Act 2 is gonna be bigger, with many many more decisions to make and hings to discover, but Act 1 is by no means a tiny part of the game, it's pretty expansive if you 100% it.

Also just for the record, that source magic thing isn't fixed yet.. I heard nothing about it the past month and there were a LOT of comments regarding this too. Latest alpha version removed any gainable source points from the game entirely.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 02:12 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 15:02:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 14:23:
Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:46:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:38:
For parts of Florida, Hurricane Irma offers a worst-case scenario.

But hey, global warming is a hoax, so I'm gonna keep rollin' coal in my Hummer.
The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
5 ain't cutting it anymore.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

Not a metric convusion error, but not 240 either. It was 225 mph from this story.

With a tightly defined eye, high maximum winds and gusts of up to 195 knots or 225 mph Irma has left weather forecasters flabbergasted.
But that's only 361.14 kph. Stunned

Well I just hope everyone is gonna be fine. It's unimaginable to hear that this storm has the size of Germany, if that is even only 20% water then Florida isn't gonna have just storm problem but also a flood problem.

But yeah, the scale of these things is just not imaginable to me. 360km/h of gusts, can you even imagine how much force rain would have in such gusts? I can't...

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2017, 01:51 eRe4s3r

saluk wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 00:39:
Who'd have thought - making an action stealth shooter with some rpg elements is quite different from a turn-based (ok, realtime with pause) rpg.

Every game is a difficult birth, the problem is when you got no lead position in your team. Nobody who says "No, this is our budget, and THIS is what we can do" Imagine if Obsidian hadn't wasted 500k !!! on a single scene. You just do NOT do this, you do pre-pruduction and a vertical gameplay slice first, without assets, just mechanics. And if they had done this, none of the problems they had would have happened (especially AI performance would have been caught nearly instantly in development)

I can understand why some people say Obsidian fucked this up themselves, and there is really no denying it that a better studio could have made Alpha Protocol game of the year.

11412 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo