Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11760 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 11, 2017, 09:09 eRe4s3r

To be honest, taking a charging phone in the bathtub is imo intentional suicide  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2017, 08:10 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 07:19:
Did the CEO know? Possibly, even probably. Did a senior executive know? It would seem highly unlikely at least one didn't. Fairly reasonable to assume a group of engineers isn't going to decide on their own, without consulting management, to design and implement an engine system to bypass emissions testing. Hell, there are probably cost cutting systems which got in the way. Cost guy, "Why did the cost go up?" Engineer, "Just doing what management told me to do."

That said, I don't know about in Europe, but no senior management in the US will do any jail time over this. The most serious thing which might happen is a fine or at absolute worse a suspended sentence. However, I seriously doubt there will be that much accountability.

Germany puts management in jail if it can be proven that they willingly and knowingly violated a law. And in this case, German prosecution has someone going for a plea bargain. If the witness is good and can provide proof, then this can result in a pretty large prosecution.

And managers can go to jail here. Heck, for simple things like tax evasion even. ^^

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 11, 2017, 08:04 eRe4s3r

If this were my server, he'd be banned for 200+ ping, ruins the game for everyone else imo... and in shitty netcode, high pingers have a huge advantage when they maintain initiative around corners and have good reactions)  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2017, 06:24 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 21:36:
I'm pretty sure that the "Let's cheat on our emissions" idea came from somewhere at the top. It's just a matter of proving it.

That's pretty much guaranteed. There is no way the board did not know that none of their diesel cars pass Euro 5 or Euro 6 on the road. They probably thought they could get away with it though, since they are abusing a loophole (yet to be decided whether it was a legal loophole) in the wording of that emission test law.

There is absolutely NO way a car maker does not know what emissions a car has either way, they are testing this in such vast technological depths via simulations that they know these stats before that motor even exists. So yeah, they knew about it AND they designed the motors this way. Basically, they designed diesel motors that could not ever meet Euro 5 nor Euro 6 on the road. No matter the amount of ad-blue or whatever injections used.

News Comments > JCB Pioneer: Mars Revealed
3. Re: JCB Pioneer: Mars Revealed Jul 11, 2017, 05:14 eRe4s3r

Hard science

*clicks on trailer*

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 05:02 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 21:02:
Uh how about until some actual real - good - games show up for VR? So far all I've seen are glorified tech demos they actually have the gall to charge money for.

Game development aimed at completely new technology takes 2 to 5 years if the hardware makers were dumb and didn't ship working quality hardware to devs before that. And we all know how shit DK1 was... ;p It was what turned many developers from vr development. So the starting point for new games is maybe barely now, in 2 to 5 years you will see VR experiences that push this genre forward, until then, enjoy indies making it a barf simulation (that EVE game in particular commits horrible VR sins)

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta in October
4. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta in October Jul 11, 2017, 03:58 eRe4s3r

Do you know how I know that EA never plans on selling this on steam? EVER ?

Well, because the same game already exists
https://steamdb.info/app/6060/

And this kind of name collision is kinda odd from an IP standpoint. Did someone at Disney not google the game name?

News Comments > Cricket Captain 2017 Released
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 16:35 eRe4s3r

theglaze wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 15:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:48:
Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:42:
Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 11:11:
Has there ever been a stranger, more incomprehensible game than Cricket? Except maybe Whackbat?

Your version of football is as alien to us in the UK as cricket is to you guys I guess? We grow up with it, while we have to actually be taught what the hell is going on in "American Football", and then only if we're interested. That said, the various rules for when two sides draw or win based on rain calling off play blows my mind to this day.

Nah, even as a German (the real football) and the US football are easily understood. But Cricket.. I honestly can't even grasp. I watched a few hours of it and never even understood how a win was allotted, it seemed random and not based on what I saw the previous 2 hours... and that's really strange.

NFL (American football) rule book = 93 pages
ICC (Standard 1 day match) rule book = 31 pages

While page length may not directly represent complexity of the sport, 3:1 seems significant!

I guess it's not about the rule complexity, it's about how a game flows when you watch it for me. And I find American football pretty interesting to watch, even kinda exciting when teams don't bullrush to insane leads. I think cricket is one of these sports that never really got "streamlined" for commercialization. Well, whatever the case, when you show me a sport with a planned game-time of 420m I am gonna not be watching that whole thing, 2 hours is the max for me.

15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2017, 15:39 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 15:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 14:47:
Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 14:35:
I like the post by the former AG (I believe)

"Yeah, when we'd investigate people for things like corruption and fraud, and they'd vehemently deny it, we usually would just drop the charges."

When is someone going to make this assclown take a test for dementia?

Dementia is not gonna get him of that chair
But it can get the dotus out of his tiny handed throne. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/opinion/25th-amendment-trump.html

I'll believe it when.. and only when, that happens. And I don't think that would really fix anything, the causes of Trump getting elected are not gone.

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2017, 14:47 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 14:35:
I like the post by the former AG (I believe)

"Yeah, when we'd investigate people for things like corruption and fraud, and they'd vehemently deny it, we usually would just drop the charges."

When is someone going to make this assclown take a test for dementia?

Dementia is not gonna get him of that chair

News Comments > Cricket Captain 2017 Released
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 13:48 eRe4s3r

Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:42:
Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 11:11:
Has there ever been a stranger, more incomprehensible game than Cricket? Except maybe Whackbat?

Your version of football is as alien to us in the UK as cricket is to you guys I guess? We grow up with it, while we have to actually be taught what the hell is going on in "American Football", and then only if we're interested. That said, the various rules for when two sides draw or win based on rain calling off play blows my mind to this day.

Nah, even as a German (the real football) and the US football are easily understood. But Cricket.. I honestly can't even grasp. I watched a few hours of it and never even understood how a win was allotted, it seemed random and not based on what I saw the previous 2 hours... and that's really strange.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 04:45 eRe4s3r

Saboth wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 22:34:
I wonder if once this Etherium thing crashes and burns if the markets will be flooded with used high-end video cards for cheap. I can't imagine these people would want to sit on 5, 10, 20 video cards once they are making a $1 a day. Better to sell the cards and get some of their money back, than wait until a year or two when the cards are selling for 1/2 of what they paid.

They will RMA these cards and ruin this system for everyone else. And you should think twice before buying a card used for 5 month worth of continuous mining at 100% and 92C... you can throw it away after that

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 04:35 eRe4s3r

Dirty Butler wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 19:34:
I just got my solar panels installed yesterday, the power company can kiss my ass.

Until it's winter, cloudy, stormy or literally too hot (if you got black solar panels), then you come running back, eh?

Anyway, congrats on being energy independent, just remember that you really are not.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 04:07 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 21:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 13:24:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 17:48:
There's always a reservoir of immunity in the population. The black death and spanish flu were solved pre-antibiotics, even though it wasn't pretty, and a lot of it is random variance.

That's a really stupid comparison, JIT cargo planning would collapse instantly, and take a guess where your food, where the gas for the food production, where the animal feed comes from.

Something like spanish flu would kill the US as a functional nation within 30 days. Yeah, you are immune if you survive, you are also now starving and facing anarchy and a new dark age... death would be preferable

And that would all depend on where you live and how prepared you are.

The starving part, yeah. Whether you enjoy living a pure survival strongest-get-all based life without medicine, electricity, society, entertainment is another matter entirely ^^

News Comments > Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Announced
5. Re: Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Announced Jul 9, 2017, 14:57 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 13:15:
I wish I had it in me to roar and cheer like that for a video game conference reveal, as if it were an Iron Maiden concert. Warframe is decent and this isn't bad, but I couldn't give it up like that for a game, I wonder why?

Wondering the same thing, but I guess the people visiting these events are by definition the outgoing easily excited types. Nothing wrong with that, but I too lack the understanding to grasp what moves them in this video enough to cheer. Though it would be really nice if Warframe could spin-off into a SP game that's entirely like the above except with space travel and tons of diverse planets, a decent story and all that, now THAT would elicit some cheers from me

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2017, 13:24 eRe4s3r

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 17:48:
There's always a reservoir of immunity in the population. The black death and spanish flu were solved pre-antibiotics, even though it wasn't pretty, and a lot of it is random variance.

That's a really stupid comparison, JIT cargo planning would collapse instantly, and take a guess where your food, where the gas for the food production, where the animal feed comes from.

Something like spanish flu would kill the US as a functional nation within 30 days. Yeah, you are immune if you survive, you are also now starving and facing anarchy and a new dark age... death would be preferable

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 10:14 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 09:09:
Since Windows 10 is on a twice yearly 'update' period with 18 months of support, how do you handle that with the Enterprise version. Considering that prior versions of Window lasted decades, I would think this would be a hastle for IT departments.

LTSB has to be manually updated, which also means it stays on whatever OS revision you leave it on. Not a good idea for big updates, but not a big problem for a "fluff" update like the last one

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2017, 15:13 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 13:40:
And all because fucking doctors kept proscribing the shit when people had a fucking flu, and because the damned agriculture industry kept feeding it to their lifestock.

That's something you or me, or any single person, can't do anything against, livestock would die in the billions if no anti-biotics were used, too tight together, too many animals in the same place, and it'd be dangerous for anyone close by too. If you stop this, you can kiss affordable meat, eggs, milk good-bye.

But yeah, they gotta figure out a better way to treat infections than antibiotics, I just hope it isn't nano-tech because that'd be unaffordable for many billions.

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 8, 2017, 09:13 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 05:51:
According to my power company the power in my area comes from:

80.5% Hydroelectric
9.2% Nuclear
4.9% Coal
3.1% Wind
1.8% Natural Gas
0.5% Other

Living near a big ass river helps with the whole clean energy thing.

80% renewable just from hydro is indeed pretty impressive, hopefully we can reach that where I live too. Just.. no river here ;p Maybe a few (also very deep...) lakes which would be perfect for energy storage...

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 8, 2017, 09:08 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 08:44:
They figure maybe the pirates will like it since paying customers didnt? Not likely, heh

More likely because Denuvo licensing scheme was completely pwned. The protection is basically worthless now.

11760 Comments. 588 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo