Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11208 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games
3. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 6, 2017, 20:52 eRe4s3r

Gold sellers and gold farmers will have a field day  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2017, 19:38 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 18:31:
BobBob wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 18:07:
Apparently, I have no social life and I'm totally out of what's trending. What does "I-borhood" mean? Google gives no results.

You're not. It's a neighborhood where everyone only cares about themselves and their well-being, and are not responsive to helping others. Thus the "I" borhood. I came up with it.

We normal people call that a gentrified hell hole Thankfully my neighbors are not annoying like that, dogs don't bark (like nearly ever) and cats are mindful of sleeping hours for the most part. But yeah, I feel like people become more and more egocentric and stop thinking about what their actions might have an impact on others. Previous neighbors were drinking huge amounts of alcohol every day, at night... meh

Can't say the same about a flock of magpies who one year bred in the tree that's right across from my sleeping window. And this year I've got a sizeable group of blackbirds making quite some racket, or rather, causing racket with all the other flying things around.

TL;DR, birds more annoying than humans here, I consider that a huge blessing. Slow internet on the other hand isn't such a huge blessing. But yeah, rather slow internet than an iborhood.

Ps.: Neighbors.. already has it in the name.. neigh!
PPs.: If noise becomes a big problem you should consider legal action and DOCUMENTATION. I have never heard of a city that takes documented and video proof of serious noise violations after 10pm not extremely serious indeed.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 6, 2017, 11:46 eRe4s3r

wtf_man wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 10:54:
The forgotten API: just what is going on with DX12

It doesn't help that the anticipated performance boost vs. DX11 is no where near as claimed... even on AMD, which actually shows some improvement over DX11, vs. nVidia.

Vulkan is probably the future since it covers more than Windows devices.

It's because of a hen-egg problem. As long as games aren't pushing the single core restricted threads to the limits there will be no advantage to use Vulkan or DX12, but if you USE this advantage, then everyone without DX12 will have bad performance. So it has to be optional, and if it is optional then there is 0 real advantage to even bother using it. It will give you higher FPS on a high-end rig, but it won't do a damn thing if you are not CPU limited.

Point being, let's check this again in 3 years from now... but I doubt it'll gain any traction as long as MS is being a total asshole about W10 privacy/patching policy.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 6, 2017, 08:47 eRe4s3r

Reading up on VR lenses made me realize we now have aftermarket prescription lense inserts for both Rift and Oculus, which means this just needs to get pushed to Gen2 (aka, lighter, better image) and I will jump into the fray as well ;p If my VR device had my lens needs already inside then I wouldn't need glasses, and that would add a shit ton of extra comfort.

Thankfully new screens are already in development.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2017, 08:23 eRe4s3r

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 00:08:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 12:53:
survival is the new WW2

You mean the new zombie.

You mean the new modern war.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Feb 6, 2017, 08:22 eRe4s3r

The source engine really did not age well... Action HL1 was pretty cool, never got into Action HL2. Source engine, despite being made for FPS, really did never feel like a good FPS engine to me (sloppy feeling, shitty recoil.. just nope)  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Feb 5, 2017, 14:59 eRe4s3r

Nimh wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 14:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 08:12:
I don't see RPG's back in a big way.. when we look forward, what do we really have? Torment 2 and PoE2, I guess, and Mass Effect 4. And aside that?

Shadowrun, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity are all quite decent RPG's in the old school style.

Played them all though, hence "look forward" I even kickstarted D:OS 2 and PoE... But to be fair, my gaming focus is pretty heavily towards story driven RPG's.. hence why I wonder what is coming aside from those 3 I mentioned... (I consider D:OS 2 a thing already, because I already played it, but I guess that's only for backers)

Are there any other RPG's upcoming I overlooked?

News Comments > Conan Exiles Banishes Servers
9. Re: Conan Exiles Banishes Servers Feb 5, 2017, 14:57 eRe4s3r

Total-Khaos wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 12:57:
Genesys wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 12:47:
Heh. Is this the first time a company has killed their official servers in favor of user-hosted servers? Usually it's the other way around :)

7500 private servers. 7499 are pirated copies.

Probably not far from the truth, but the game is still early access no? Would consider that 7498 demos +1 hardcore pirate I guess From what I am reading on steam, game is even nearly unplayable currently, tons of game-breaking bugs.

5. Re: Saturday Interviews Feb 5, 2017, 09:30 eRe4s3r

Flo wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 08:54:
For me, Witcher 3 spoiled all other RPGs. The quest design was above and beyond anything else. Playing PoE after W3 was a sad affair.

To be honest there aren't many modern RPGs that measure up to W3+Addon, but W3 also does not have a party or custom avatar, which is a big factor for me. I guess we'll see how Torment 2 turns out, that they reduce companions to flesh out the ones they have makes me far happier than it should, mainly because of PoE1 and how that was handled there.

But yeah, after playing quite a few "great" RPG's it's really hard to be hyped about things coming the next few months. Torment 2 is a must-by for me, obviously, but will I really enjoy it? I wonder....

2. Re: Saturday Interviews Feb 5, 2017, 08:12 eRe4s3r

I don't see RPG's back in a big way.. when we look forward, what do we really have? Torment 2 and PoE2, I guess, and Mass Effect 4. And aside that?

I haven't played a truly great RPG in quite a while. I am dabbling in a BG2 playthrough with heavy mods, which gave me new appreciation of some of the gameplay in that (And newfound hate for DnD rules regarding saving throws)

But if I wanted to find a really good RPG I haven't yet played I'd need a time machine.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: On Sale Feb 5, 2017, 07:32 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Feb 4, 2017, 01:34:
That's not a challenge. That's stupidity. He's could've gotten to the bottom of Excel in exactly 1 second by pressing CTRL + down arrow. There are 1,048,576 rows in Excel. Question answered!

1 button solution [END]

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 07:24 eRe4s3r

MacLeod wrote on Feb 4, 2017, 20:02:
DS9/Voyager reasons for no HD are the same case as Babylon 5... All the effects composites are all done at NTSC resolution. Unlike TOS and TNG, none of the shows probably warrant the amount of budget required to create HD versions, especially since DS9 and Voyager started using CG for ships and such, it would require a massive amount of work.

It disappoints me still today that I'll only ever have bad quality Babylon 5 DVDs. The quality will look great for some of the shots (the ones with no effects), then turn to grainy low res for the composite/effect shots. It's especially bothersome when its cutting back and forth between two closeups while people talk and one is perfect and the other is crap.

One thing I can tell you as 3d artist is that those cost claims are wild if they had actually 35mm source, but NTSC sources, you can basically throw everything away and redo it, it would be a lot cheaper.

It also bothers me hugely because NTSC isn't even a global standard and NTSC <-> PAL conversion was already a nightmare for B5 and Voyager even when that just aired in PAL TV. (it looked horrible sometimes) and nowadays, with HD tv's, these 2 shows did NOT age well visually. B5 in particular has atrociously low quality CGI, to the point where it's really just blurry blobs.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2017, 07:11 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 02:05:
When you piss off two thirds of the country, and they happen to be the smarter two thirds, they're going to be extremely motivated to find ways of blocking your stupid crap.

On the other hand this is quite amusing to watch from the outside

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 4, 2017, 19:46 eRe4s3r

Does this mean no more absurdly off-topic comment threads on IMDB movie pages? ;p

News Comments > Husk Released
4. Re: Husk Released Feb 4, 2017, 19:42 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 4, 2017, 18:50:
Anyone else annoyed by this growing trend of entertainment media that uses what might be considered controversial themes feeling like they have to put in a PSA disclaimer?

To be honest I find the themes touched here neither of these things ,) Fantasy monsters, boring office rooms and blurry DOF does not make down-to-earth psychological thriller. Reading the steam reviews is more elevating than anything this game offers, but for the 1st real game of this developer it's a decent effort, it is however not a decent horror game. Especially not compared to the behemoth next to it, the slightly mediocre but otherwise pretty decent RE7

We actually have absolutely zero truly controversial titles on Steam. None of them touching anything of fundamental import. Unless you call that mediocre top-down shooter with brutality as it's "thing" controversial.. when it was just laughable over the top and absurd

There was maybe that 1 historical accurate game with the asylum, the name escapes me, that was (to me) shocking on a fundamental level, because I had truly no idea that situations in Italy during that time were this utterly nightmarish for just slightly "odd" personalities in psychiatric facilities

But aside that? Controversial things on Steam? Nah...

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Feb 4, 2017, 08:47 eRe4s3r

Shok wrote on Feb 4, 2017, 07:57:
Technically you would need a dfs based raid to combat bitrot. Just saving to an 8tb drive doesn't guarantee there won't be issues.

Of course, entropy makes sure that no storage is for eternity, but a HDD you use for archiving of this content that you back-up and archive and regularly integrity check does give you options how to handle such volume of data, 8tb of storage would be an incredibly boat-load of CD's and DVD's, and it'd be a nightmare to handle them as anything other than images. I've had severe disc-rot on my HL1 cd and barely saved it as an image on my NAS, same for my BG2 cd's (all 6 of them) and nowadays I have BG2 even backed up as a file archive with all the weidu mods I'd ever want, to prevent link-rot ruining a potential replay

If you have the space for it, it is also advisable to split your archives, and your backups, making sure it's seeded with newer drives as you go along.

My music archive is on my NAS and back up is working fine on that, even survived a disc failure already. So I am not hugely worried. But when a CD fails, it fails hard with no recovery, aside from the piracy avenue to get disc images. But this can end with link-rot too.

We have a big problem retaining digital history nowadays, and there doesn't seem to be any good way to combat it yet. The cloud sure as hell isn't a solution, aside from the fact that uploading 8tb would take me 4+ years and likely a dozen angry letters from my ISP.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 4, 2017, 03:52 eRe4s3r

This is why I have all my favorite games imaged, I mean, seriously, who even cares about discs, when you have 8tb drives that can literally hold your entire game collection?  

News Comments > Stellaris: Utopia Announced
8. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Announced Feb 3, 2017, 14:59 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 13:34:
Fion wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 13:14:
If your number is higher than their number, you win.

Agreed, that is the biggest issue with the game. Paradoxically there are a lot of Space4X players who don't enjoy combat, and they are fine with it being so simple.

I wouldn't mind if combat were just a fancy "us vs them + stats + orders + admirals" window like in HoI games.... the problem is that it is neither as complex as combat is in HOI (even though it's just numbers and text being simulated in those) nor as simple and pretty to look at as the rock paper scissor streamlined "card" game in Endless Space.

I had wished they would have done something smarter, like fleets would be protecting the border projected into space and all we do with that is tell where the regional fleet HQ is, who the staff is, and what their orders of operation are. And in case of war, we would just tell them war goals and they "do their stuff"

After all, what I am in Stellaris? Kitchen maid, having to order everything manually? Or leader of an empire... the entire macro/micro split makes little sense.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 3, 2017, 13:26 eRe4s3r

LiTh wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 13:11:
You guys know you can get paid to do this in real life right?

Watching youtube "let's plays" of real-life truck drivers driving in real life, a truck, I would say.. no thanks. (funny that there isn't s word for real-life work streams) Maybe we ought to call it a "Let's work" instead of Let's play

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico
5. Re: American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico Feb 3, 2017, 12:58 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 11:25:
If I drive far enough south will I see a wall?

Probably not, ETS2 would have to remove the entire UK if they wanted to keep trade situations realistic in 2017+ ;p

11208 Comments. 561 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo