Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12202 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2017, 16:59 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 16:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 15:02:
Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:27:
Ray's way off base with this one. Even if it were possible, which it won't be, most people wouldn't want to be monitored constantly like that in case there was a medical reason for it. There are dozens of nerological conditions and diseases that are still completely incurable at present. They don't even why most of them exist or how they function entirely, yet he believes we'll just be able to integrate wet ware into the cerebral cortex no problem at all? Yeah, I'll have some of what he's smoking.

The only thing that inhibits any wetware replacement is the power supply and tissue degeneration issue. And 20 years is a long time to find a solution for that. Once we find a way to feed devices via body energy production this industry will explode. And I'd be first up to replace my organs where viable.

Those jackhammer-dicks will sell like hotcakes! In fact, people will stop saying things sell like hotcakes and start saying they sell like jackhammer-dicks instead! Ah, the future is glorious.

Oh, wait, we're about to go extinct. Hold up on that double order of jackhammer-dicks.

Going extinct in style though

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints
54. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 16:57 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 16:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 15:43:
Timmeh wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 15:13:
they give the same exact xp to every player at the end of a match regardless of kills or skills.

they then give a complete bs reason on why this is a good idea.

What is really sad is people are actually buying this POS.

There is a reason for that though, in BF1, if you were winning really highly with capturing points and not kills and healing/resupply/destruction etc. you would get around 50% less XP than if you basically spawn camped without capturing the points. they likely wanted to de-incentivize this kind of behavior.

That you get less points if the rounds are shorter (ie. you play well and win) is total BS though.

De-incentivizing kills in a game about shooting people is really stupid reasoning... If it is decided there's a balance issue where aimless killing gets you significantly greater rewards than completing objectives, then you should be further incentivizing objectives. But therein lies the contention with EA philosophy: they're not about using carrots unless you buy them yourself.

Yeah and this is what confuses the hell out of me, I mean they got this figured out in BF4 ! BF1 dropped the concept and since then both Battlefront 1 and Battlefront 2 re-focused the entire game back to random kills instead of playing for objective (walker modes aside)

49. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 15:43 eRe4s3r

Timmeh wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 15:13:
they give the same exact xp to every player at the end of a match regardless of kills or skills.

they then give a complete bs reason on why this is a good idea.

What is really sad is people are actually buying this POS.

There is a reason for that though, in BF1, if you were winning really highly with capturing points and not kills and healing/resupply/destruction etc. you would get around 50% less XP than if you basically spawn camped without capturing the points. they likely wanted to de-incentivize this kind of behavior.

That you get less points if the rounds are shorter (ie. you play well and win) is total BS though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 15:40 eRe4s3r

What that knife dude showed is actually the basic way steel is made.... that extra step (with the molten salt) is likely a variation of the Linz–Donawitz-steelmaking process. Which controls the carbon content and distribution when you have pig-iron as a source. (which is the source of all steel today...) the reason you don't see that in normal steel is that modern steel factories have this process down to the nano scale. You do not see any patterns because patterns are actually controlled and unwanted (because they create micro-fissures, important for stuff like train wheels)....

Just so it's clear,
steel is iron with 1% to 2.14% carbon
pig iron is iron with 3.5 to 4.5% carbon

Getting to exactly 2.14% or lower (but within +1% was impossible in Japanese furnaces, hence folding and that weird manufacturing process. The only reason that knife is sharp is that the edges was tempered. You can get the same effect off any blade you own, if you had a fine-grained whetstone (to sharpen, for running cuts) and a cow-leather surface (to temper, for push cuts). And yes, that whetstone is the only thing you really need if you want a sharp knife ( you can temper on your shoes if you want). Sadly you will likely go insane finding a "real" correctly grained whetstone nowadays.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2017, 15:02 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:27:
Ray's way off base with this one. Even if it were possible, which it won't be, most people wouldn't want to be monitored constantly like that in case there was a medical reason for it. There are dozens of nerological conditions and diseases that are still completely incurable at present. They don't even why most of them exist or how they function entirely, yet he believes we'll just be able to integrate wet ware into the cerebral cortex no problem at all? Yeah, I'll have some of what he's smoking.

The only thing that inhibits any wetware replacement is the power supply and tissue degeneration issue. And 20 years is a long time to find a solution for that. Once we find a way to feed devices via body energy production this industry will explode. And I'd be first up to replace my organs where viable.

45. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 14:54 eRe4s3r

SlimRam wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 14:43:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 14:34:
They are going to do what they do.

We all have a choice to make.

Asking them to change isn't happening.
My choice is easy, I just won't get the game

I made that choice early on with Battlefront after the origin access "demo"... when there is a IP involved that 4 parties want to profit from, you know it's gonna be major BS. These 2 games are imo some of the worst shooters currently on the market....

44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 14:50 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:47:
This is amusing, I've never seen a post with hundreds of thousands of downvotes before... Nobody deserves it more than an EA rep regurgitating PR bullshit.

-406172 (down) votes in 1 day, that's a new record afaik

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Nov 12, 2017, 15:10 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 14:14:
There is no excuse for using twitter as a means of communication, ever.

Especially if your entire 12 posts could be summed up like this
"Don't like pay to win? Don't pay to win!"

News Comments > Deadpool Game Dead to Steam Soon
2. Re: Deadpool Game Dead to Steam Soon Nov 12, 2017, 14:54 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 14:47:
What kind of nonsense went on(and is going on) with the license for this game?

Summed up?
Marvel Studios – the movie making entity – does not own Marvel’s characters.

http://www.genericfairuse.com/2016/03/10/deadpool-and-ip-copyrights/
If you want to read more

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 11, 2017, 16:20 eRe4s3r

How is Equifax still not shut down by billion $ lawsuits?  

News Comments > Decksplash Grinds to a Halt
1. Re: Decksplash Grinds to a Halt Nov 10, 2017, 18:48 eRe4s3r

This.. is the dumbest thing I read this week... average sales for 99% of PC games are 30k (and that was before the flood gates opened and steam became unusable) ! Expecting to exceed that by 3x in a week is hilarious absurd. (even free ;p)  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 10, 2017, 16:14 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 00:43:
DOJ: Strong encryption that we don’t have access to is “unreasonable.”

There will always be strong encryption you won't have access to. Get used to it.

If they had access, then it wouldn't be strong encryption

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 10, 2017, 15:33 eRe4s3r

I see that Apple has QA nailed down tight! /s  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 07:39 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 17:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 16:56:
NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:00:
OpticNerve wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 18:58:
Humanity's fucked up the world enough as it is and our civilization is run and controlled by greedy, corrupt, and tribal war-mongers who will never come together to save our own asses if it comes down to it.

A lot less greedy, corrupt, and tribal than we were 1000, or 100 years ago at least.

Less greedy and corrupt? Are you reading the same news I read the past week? Paradise Papers? Gilded Age? Blackrock? Apple defends not paying taxes? etc.? Corruption and greed are alive and well.

100 years ago the person operating Blackrock or any other shadow bank would have been (potentially rightfully) shot/hanged, now? Now they are to big to fail and go free no matter how vast the destruction is that they cause.

And geo politically I would even have to contest your claim that tribalism went down. For some countries in the west it's true, but globally that is probably a bit more complicated. There are at least 40 armed conflicts currently, massive migration movements and nationalism spawning everywhere. I call that a rise of tribalism, depending on how you'd define it.

Have you read The Jungle?

Were still greedy, corrupt, and tribal, but less so.

It's on my near endless list of things I got to read at some point. Would reading it change my opinion considering the things I mentioned? If yes then that would be a priority read

News Comments > Hellbound Announced
5. Re: Hellbound Announced Nov 9, 2017, 07:39 eRe4s3r

Pretty sure there is no gameplay to show yet...  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 9, 2017, 06:40 eRe4s3r

Those Chrome fixes are nice, now if only they'd also be in Chromium...  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 04:52 eRe4s3r

Sounds like MS Bob... amazing that this technology did not advance at all the past decade....  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 16:56 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:00:
OpticNerve wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 18:58:
Humanity's fucked up the world enough as it is and our civilization is run and controlled by greedy, corrupt, and tribal war-mongers who will never come together to save our own asses if it comes down to it.

A lot less greedy, corrupt, and tribal than we were 1000, or 100 years ago at least.

Less greedy and corrupt? Are you reading the same news I read the past week? Paradise Papers? Gilded Age? Blackrock? Apple defends not paying taxes? etc.? Corruption and greed are alive and well.

100 years ago the person operating Blackrock or any other shadow bank would have been (potentially rightfully) shot/hanged, now? Now they are to big to fail and go free no matter how vast the destruction is that they cause.

And geo politically I would even have to contest your claim that tribalism went down. For some countries in the west it's true, but globally that is probably a bit more complicated. There are at least 40 armed conflicts currently, massive migration movements and nationalism spawning everywhere. I call that a rise of tribalism, depending on how you'd define it.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2017, 16:43 eRe4s3r

If this were Ubisoft or EA I'd be worried, but it's only Take Two...  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 09:26 eRe4s3r

KS wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 14:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 11:01:
I don't see what Hawking is worried about, firstly he is not gonna experience it no matter what, and secondly the end of our civilization would be a good thing.

Not necessarily. If he is buried and his neural net brain survives with links and so on relatively intact, it is possible for a technological resurrection using nanotech. Not particularly likely, but possible.

And rewarding such folks with healthy bodies might be seen as all but a moral imperative to those in that world.

Death may even be something impossible to achieve permanently, depending on the tech and number of people.

of course intentions will be something to consider in that case though and I sure wouldn't want to be resurrected against my will, because let's face it, without an AI that creates paradise for us and prevents us, defiantly and for eternity, from destroying it, we are going to destroy this planet and our society, capitalism is already on a good way doing this. The only way we as human species are going survive in more than caves and plant cloths is if we develop advanced AI and give it the ability and power to shape our environment. If it wants to kill us then it's only speeding up the inevitable, and if not, then we might have found paradise through technology and saved ourselves from certain doom.

And Hawkings, much like Elon Musk, are not AI developers so I always take their opinions on AI with 50 grains of salt. Understanding physics of a black hole does not make you a good oracle on future tech.

12202 Comments. 611 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo