Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10940 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2016, 18:59 eRe4s3r

sir wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 18:04:
Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 11:17:
Popular opposition to the law has already provoked over 133,000 citizens to sign a petition calling for its repeal, and although that is unlikely to happen, the petition's motion must now be considered by Parliament.

133,000 out of 65 million people. Kind of says it all about how most Brits value their privacy and allowing Big Brother to do whatever they want. Very sad indeed.

Actually it says more about how this story has successfully flown under the radar and received little coverage since it first became an issue, but don't let that get in the way of your obvious attempt at trolling.

It certainly flew under the radar in terms of public perception, but think about what that says about UK media... from outside (German viewpoint) it seemed like the UK media made a concerted effort to not mention this negatively. Even big proper news sites had opinion articles FOR this law. Meanwhile in Germany and elsewhere, it was considered as "something worse than 1984 put into law" (that was a sadly unofficial quote)

Meanwhile, the UN derided the law as and I quote "worse than scary" and found that the UK gov led an and I quote "orchestrated propaganda campaign through its allies in the media to get the law passed with public consent"

That is some scary shit, coming from the UN. Gotta say I am actually glad a country like that isn't in the EU for much longer

However, there was media covering it, you have nobody to blame if you didn't know about (I knew about it, and I am not even in the UK ,p)
-> http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/snoopers-charter-0

If you are a brit now you should think long and hard what you write, and to whom you reply... everything a UK citizen does online is now logged and stored for a year and can be used and shared without warrant.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2016, 19:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2016, 10:24 eRe4s3r

The UK drifts more and more to being a fascist anti-foreigner surveillance state.. sad ;/  

News Comments > INSIDE Demo
9. Re: INSIDE Demo Nov 29, 2016, 09:06 eRe4s3r

This is one of these games where I really regret having seen the full (short) play-through on a stream... That was really stupid of me. ;/  

News Comments > HITMAN Adding Offline Unlock Access
10. Re: HITMAN Adding Offline Unlock Access Nov 29, 2016, 09:02 eRe4s3r

J wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 01:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 14:22:
J wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 12:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 12:15:
Is this on steam yet?

lol? I think it's been on Steam since the start.

Yeah, i meant the patch ^^ Had to restart steam for it to trigger
That makes sense now. I had it download before I read the thread. Sometimes you gotta jump start the Steam.

Yeah and when I was reading the news, I had steam open for quite a while, turns out I missed like 10 updates which all promptly started after restarting steam.. SIGH. Steam really does not like coming out of hibernation apparently.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
25. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 29, 2016, 09:01 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 06:49:

Guys, we've not only got one telling us Hillary Clinton runs a pedophile ring out of a pizza joint, but he's also calling us "permavirgins."

We're one "cuck" or "beta" away from being below the bottom of the internet.

Did you look at PizzaGate, and to think thinking human beings consider this proof of anything, my goodness. If there were any truth to any of that, there would be actual law-enforcement involved. Not idiots on the internet misinterpreting out-of-context emails from a hack-dump.

Ps.: If Hillary really did that, I dunno whether to be appalled or impressed, running a pedo ring out of a fucking pizza joint? As Hillary "everyone knows her face" Clinton? Either she is a shape-shifter or these claims are bullshit on the highest level

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 28, 2016, 19:31 eRe4s3r

Interesting read that  

7. Re: HITMAN Adding Offline Unlock Access Nov 28, 2016, 14:22 eRe4s3r

J wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 12:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 12:15:
Is this on steam yet?

lol? I think it's been on Steam since the start.

Yeah, i meant the patch ^^ Had to restart steam for it to trigger

3. Re: HITMAN Adding Offline Unlock Access Nov 28, 2016, 12:15 eRe4s3r

Is this on steam yet?  

22. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 28, 2016, 05:43 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 20:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 15:10:
Admitting being wrong is often seen as a loss nowadays.. sadly.

Was it really ever in vogue? I don't recall a time where people overwhelmingly accepted being wrong in opinion, we've been stubborn forever.

Eeeehhhh, not really. School time comes to mind ;p I mean sure, adult 1:1 dialog it's hard to convince anyone, not many people even have such dialog often, and when you are married especially you probably avoid political discussions entirely, and at work.. yeah ;p

On the other hand, there is the tool of post-factual speech and populism, of propaganda that can and will shift worldviews, even ideologies, even if not fundamentally, then at least temporarily. Assuming you are backed by enough peer pressure.

TL;DR if you repeat something often enough with enough different sources, people will believe it.... as long as you stick to post-factual mannerisms. Meaning the objective facts don't matter, only the perceived facts

Either way, I don't think people are inherently mega stubborn. Indoctrination is a thing after all. Entire military complex is based on this.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2016, 05:50.

15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 15:43 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 15:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 13:39:

Exactly, and to that you forgot to ask the most important question. Does this mean we should doubt all news related to politics in any way?

Because that's what I decided I will do from now on.. it just is not possible to source check when fake news actually spread coordinated hoaxes that are picked up by either right or left media as "truth" (and you know what, truth always dies first in politics)

So what to do? Should blues just not post political related news stories? Is is he training us to be better at spotting fake news, or is he conditioning us to trust fake news more.. mhh

It only takes a second to check if something is being reported by the Times, WaPo, Reuters, or The Guardian. These source very occasionally get things wrong, but are almost always careful about checking what they publish. Blue, BTW, usually sticks to these major sources for news stories.

Wouldn't focusing in these few mean that you are stuck with these news sites ideological bias though? Just because it's written on WaPo does not mean it is the truth, it could just as well be only 1 spun version of it. And especially Reuters should not be on that list, they cut any own employed journalists. They are 100% freelance aggregate nowadays.

Aside that, I know where to fact check. The real problem is that all the sources you mentioned, and The Guardian aside (UK zoid, so when it's an UK election same problem as US sites) didn't exactly shine brightly with journalistic ability during elections...

Reminds me that I should probably link this
http://thedataface.com/trump-media-analysis/

Note in particular the 2nd slide When a site isn't objective during elections, when is it ever? And how can we tell? (Answer: we can not)

(Also at this point we probably both giggle because we notice our own perception bias in the data sources we find relevant and link to)

Lies don't matter, what matters is whether reporting time is given equally to candidates, or whether it isn't. (as an example, I didn't want to focus on election at all, but it has the best data points by far)

13. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 15:10 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 13:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 13:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 12:38:
You always reward those that get you elected. Nothing to see here.

Get your news from reliable sources and learn how to spot bull shit.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/how-to-spot-fake-news/

students cannot tell fake news stories, npr

It is really hard to spot fake news when your own ideology and confirmation bias make you blind to any different standpoint though... hence why students failed so hard. Also I have to admit confirmation bias gets me every now and then despite best efforts. I don't always have time to source check all news... but I strife to never base my opinion on something not properly sourced. And fail more often than I'd like.

People just don't like being wrong, or even conceding that an argument they've put forth may not be 100% correct. I've seen some members on this forum put, assumedly, a lot of effort and time into creating well constructed arguments only to have whoever it was directed at regurgitate some dismissive variant of nuh-uh. It's difficult to have a meaningful and productive exchange when one or both sides are unwilling to budge on their stance. I suppose that's why fake news is so successful, it just confirms what people want to believe, while real news is rarely so straight forward.

I like learning new things, opinions and discovering standpoints..... but yeah, you are spot on. When people switch within a discussion to banter (witty but empty replies) then there is no point continuing a discussion. But forum discussion is also vital when it happens, even if you get no proper replies, at least you formulated your opinion and put it into solid form. Think about what that means, you visualized your opinion to yourself, given you the ability to reread it a day later and notice that you gained a new understanding from a link here or a post there....

But yeah, I agree with you wholesale. Admitting being wrong is often seen as a loss nowadays.. sadly.

8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 13:39 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 13:19:
Zanthar wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 12:44:
Fake news about fake news. Fake news was not fake news when the fake Dan Rather or the fake Brian Williams were fired or the face CNN handed out debate questions to the fake Hillary.

This is why sane people abandon the democrats and become independent.

The other side isn't any different in this regards at all, I've always been independent fwiw. But I do feel there has been a definite uptick of a lot more fake news sites/articles than ever. If anyone has a Facebook account, you'd see that near daily. Prior to this I have had a hard time with really feeling concrete on news given to me, now with this, really how does anyone really think they know on so many subjects these days? They don't, but god damn if many aren't certain of it. It's all purposeful muddied waters. It's terrible really, but also reality.

Exactly, and to that you forgot to ask the most important question. Does this mean we should doubt all news related to politics in any way?

Because that's what I decided I will do from now on.. it just is not possible to source check when fake news actually spread coordinated hoaxes that are picked up by either right or left media as "truth" (and you know what, truth always dies first in politics)

So what to do? Should blues just not post political related news stories? Is is he training us to be better at spotting fake news, or is he conditioning us to trust fake news more.. mhh

News Comments > No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live
2. Re: No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live Nov 27, 2016, 13:05 eRe4s3r

But they increased inventory by factor 5x and allow item teleport to ship at all times.. that alone should tell you they really listened

Mind you, this does not make it a good game, but they did fix problems brought up... whether implementing base building before implementing all those things they promised and didn't deliver is a good idea or not.. I don't know. I refunded this game.. so whatever

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 13:01 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 12:38:
You always reward those that get you elected. Nothing to see here.

Get your news from reliable sources and learn how to spot bull shit.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/how-to-spot-fake-news/

students cannot tell fake news stories, npr

It is really hard to spot fake news when your own ideology and confirmation bias make you blind to any different standpoint though... hence why students failed so hard. Also I have to admit confirmation bias gets me every now and then despite best efforts. I don't always have time to source check all news... but I strife to never base my opinion on something not properly sourced. And fail more often than I'd like.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2016, 12:49 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 23:27:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 21:54:
I'll agree that it's time to start thinking of a new paradigm. Most people enjoy "work" in order to have some purpose and stimulation in life.
They do? Got any support for that? I would have assumed the exact opposite. That a vast majority of people work simply because they "have to" ie.. to pay the rent and buy food. And if given any choice they wouldn't want to work.

I personally never enjoyed work, per se. Which is not to say I hated my job, just that it never appeared on my list of "things I want to do." Did I like some of the people I worked with? Absolutely. A few of them are still my very best friends even though we haven't worked together in many years.

I worked in an "education" company, and we before we got bought up by a larger company, our CEO used to give us these pep talks about the company and how great it was we were helping kids learn and make their lives better. I was sitting in the back of the room thinking, "Hey, it's great the kids are getting helped, but the only reason I am here is because you are paying me."

Well that was not the point of the article, though I understand why it can be constructed in that way. It is not about enjoying work... at all. But If you enjoyed what you did you would probably be much happier in life, don't you agree? Anyway, this isn't what he meant, I think.

The vast majority of people really grew up with the mindset that "hard (paid) work = valuable human being that should be respected by society" I mean, we even got some "special" examples of them on this forum. This is very different from "enjoying" your job, or not.

The point of the article was that this logic of attributing "social standing through work" does no longer work, and also it made the point (though it didn't elaborate) that work for community, neighbors and quality of life should be valued more, even if it is unpaid (private farming comes to mind, but also helping people and doing community jobs, like volunteering as firefighter, educating children, adults etc.). The core problem is that many people would never do something like that without being paid for it. And you know what else? in Germany 50% of pensioners find their social heart after the job ends. Just imagine what we could achieve if the population group below 67 could be accessed to do the same. There'd be an explosion in art and culture on par with the Roman empire or the Renaissance in it's golden age. Without the shackles of slavery or religion that held these periods back.

But really, this is the core problem. Try convincing someone who grew up with this mindset -> "hard (paid) work = valuable human being that should be respected by society" and who now lost his job and is angry at this. To him anyone not working is a "deadbeat" and not worth of even consideration as human being. To him, anyone doing anything without being paid, "just for fun" is a waste of life.

Finally, minimum wage is good and nice, but when 50% of jobs are below the (very real) poverty line (aka, jobs where you can not save money, you are continuously spending 100% (and more (ie. debt)) to merely live. Then capitalism as a whole has failed. There should be no job that doesn't allow you to live from, because any normal human being should refuse working at these jobs in a proper society. This of course is petty talk when jobs are exported to china et al, where the poverty affects more people than live in Europe and USA together. You will always find cheap labor there.

Anyway.. I have no solutions or anything, but I think the article is valuable to open your thinking up to a new mindset, or at the very least to a new viewpoint. The one that this valuation of work can not continue, because it drives people into more and more poverty as the wages of questionable jobs fall and the expenses increase. Minimum wage is below poverty lines in nearly all countries or require working 40 hour weeks to barely sustain above poverty line (aka no personal freedoms for creating own culture, and no money to pursue any to boot)

And this problem permeates western society as a whole. Society becomes rougher and less caring every year. Because this effect of dehumanization along social borders increases as poverty and "us vs them" thinking spreads. And the more it spreads, the less stable a country becomes.

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 11:37 eRe4s3r

Coming from boingboing probably just news sites that disagree with the writers worldview.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 12:53 eRe4s3r

I am just gonna leave this link here

What if jobs are the problem, not the solution

It made me realize that computerization of large portions of jobs may not be as far fetched and far away as I thought, and imo it should be a mandatory read, and should be seen as a new experience, to look at work from an different angle, and to look at the consequence of doing so, so leave your preconceptions about how "work builds character" at the door before entering.

And remember, Asian school children dominate math, but you know what they don't dominate? Cultural development. Those making culture are not the ones acing math and science and culture is what defines a nation, not it's jobs. Shouldn't this mean that we should strife to educate children so they further our culture and society, and not our economy?

Isn't Trump winning the perfect proof? Everyone puts so much value on jobs, everyone is sad and angry they lost their jobs, instead of creating something new out of that, something that does not benefit the economy, but the society of your nation, your neighborhood even, even if it's based on "entitlements" and even if you have to sustain yourself on a slightly lower luxury level... mhh, food for thought.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2016, 12:02 eRe4s3r

The moral of the story is, don't do business without written contracts with Russians. Both sides are Russian btw.  

News Comments > 30 Days of Ubisoft Giveaways
8. Re: 30 Days of Ubisoft Giveaways Nov 26, 2016, 05:04 eRe4s3r

PunkiBastardo wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 14:45:
The list acording to the page source (before they hid it it)
Date Offer
Nov 24 RAYMAN CLASSIC on Mobile
Nov 25 30% off Ubisoft Games
Nov 26 Exclusive Collection of E3 2016 Cards
Nov 27 Ubi30 Exclusive GIF
Nov 28 For Honor GIFs
Nov 29 Ubi30 360 Image
Nov 30 Just Dance Greeting Card
Dec 1 Ubisoft DIY Advent Calendar
Dec 2 Steep Wallpaper
Dec 3 Exclusive Digital Posters from E3 2016
Dec 4 Rabbids HoliDec Goodies
Dec 5 WWW Wallpaper
Dec 6 Ubisoft Cocktail Recipes
Dec 7 Assassin's Creed 3 on PC
Dec 8 Ubisoft Wrapping Paper
Dec 9 300 Game Giveaway
Dec 10 Watch_Dogs 2 Wallpaper
Dec 11 Ubisoft Gift Tags
Dec 12 Ubisoft Dessert Recipes
Dec 13 Ghost Recon GIFs
Dec 14 Wallpaper for Mobile
Dec 15 Prince of Persia on PC
Dec 16 Rayman Legends on PC
Dec 17 Splinter Cell on PC
Dec 18 The Crew on PC
Dec 19 Rayman GIF
Dec 20 Steep GIF
Dec 21 Exclusive 2017 Digital HoliDec Cards
Dec 22 Ubi30 Wallpaper
Dec 23 Ubisoft HoliDec Decorations

Order changed already, but the selection of stuff did not^^

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2016, 01:01 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 16:43:
It isn't AAA+, it's games as a service.

brevity is the soul of wit So AAA+ or games-as-a-service ... ^^ or GaaS ? ;p

10940 Comments. 547 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo