Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11413 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
8. Re: New AMD Drivers Apr 19, 2017, 16:28 eRe4s3r

I wonder why they release these cards though, is this a sign yields of Vega (which they MUST be producing already) are so disastrously bad that they can't cut features to meat a mid-end price point because they don't even meet their primary target?

Or is Vega really another 6+ months out....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2017, 22:47 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 17:16:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 17:02:
descender wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 16:17:
That's just one of my pet peeves having listened to this conversation in offices all my life. Way too many people seem to think that you can earn "too much", end up paying more in taxes and "take home less"... it's just mathematically impossible for that to happen. They think that if you earn $20001 then every penny you earned gets taxes at the higher rate and that's not how it works.
You are right, many people don't understand this. The language used around the tax brackets is often incorrect and helps with the confusion.

I'm pretty sure German tax works the same way. The UK is the same, and it's also frequently misunderstood. There are some complexities but no one is given a pay rise that lowers their take-home.

In Germany that is very real thing if you are below 52k a year (42% max tax) it's called "cold progression" and a simple wage increase through inflation/currency devaluation or even if you are normally employed, your local union contract pushing for a 3% wage increase can push you into higher tax brackets which can mean you real earned income falls even though you got (in theory) a raise. The reason is your health insurance and social security payments INCREASE as well. And this is a real thing, it earns the state a few dozen billions every year!

And my health insurance, you guessed it, is basing it's monthly payments on my last reported TAXED income. Which can fuck me over very hard indeed (we are talking the difference between 300 a month or 1000, and yeah, I am not joking) just in case you ever thought health care is "free" in Germany.

I wouldn't trade freelancer life anytime soon, least not for another few years, but when I am 35 I honestly consider throwing the towel. At some point I will have get any normal wage job just to even get a pension. Because you guessed it, freelancers also got no state pension aside from basic social protection (which I actually would have to work 30 years to even get ABOVE of)

The joke is the tax is actually really fair, the problem is it's only fair with 1 year delay, and if my tax return doesn't come in-time the health insurance rate spike can actually bring me in serious financial problems. So I really do have to balance my income, that wasn't a joke.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2017, 22:59.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2017, 15:53 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 13:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 12:40:
Are taxes so simple you can do them yourself in the US?
For a vast majority, yes. And even if your situation is a little more complicated, something like Turbo Tax will walk you through everything for $120 ($60 for the software, $60 for the electronic filing).

An example of someone who might need professional assistance: A day trader with hundreds or thousands of trades. Or if you are self employed, the mixing of personal and business finances can get complicated.

Yeah, as Freelancer for me this stuff is complicated, and it's not so much I couldn't do it myself, the problem is that my tax is set for the next year based on my report for last year, so I have to employ "intelligent" book-keeping not to push me above certain tax brackets for the next year, where income isn't set in stone... I'd rather pay someone 160 a year for this including always information what changes how and when so I don't get into trouble.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2017, 12:40 eRe4s3r

Are taxes so simple you can do them yourself in the US? I mean in Germany, I think I would have lost about 2000 a year if I had not had professional help. Once my professional help even saved me from a HUGE mistake the tax did and that I would have overlooked as I had no idea what the consequences of it were...

My point is, when you have professional help, there isn't really any incentive of "missing taxes" I get money back, always. So I pay too much taxes, always. I have literally never any incentive to drag this out. Taxes are slow enough as it is ~.~

News Comments > Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series Launch Trailer
12. Re: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series Launch Trailer Apr 18, 2017, 11:28 eRe4s3r

Someone apparently buys these things and so they still get made... Wolf Among us was and Walking Dead (Clementine arc), are imo the best things Telltale ever managed to do, writing wise, it's been downhill since then though, and especially the whole franchise things they did I basically disliked strongly.

And while this seems like fun, am the I the only one who grows tired not of a single specific thing, but of the whole package?

News Comments > Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month
14. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 18:24 eRe4s3r

Someone invented a time machine, that is the only explanation...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 09:58 eRe4s3r

Meanwhile, we had 3C during Easter, and snow in some places (not mine) ^^  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2017, 13:39 eRe4s3r

At first I was gonna ask why they don't just simple use the capsule from SpaceX, but then I realized, because they got nothing to launch it with. SpaceX Falcon Heavy is literally the only system that can launch human cargo with the SpaceX capsule and it's still nowhere near ready for flight. Heck, the Falcon Heavy isn't, so rating it for human travel is even further back.

Reason is interestingly because human rated space rockets need to actually obey G force limitations for acceleration, that means the starts become completely different to drone rockets.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2017, 13:31 eRe4s3r

Putting a GPU inside a VR goggle ain't a "chip" revolution, and neither is putting VR specific chips inside goggles, with $6m (taxes, fees) they are also not funded to even produce any real performance critical chips

So mhhh... may be revolution, may also be another KS fail

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 15, 2017, 22:32 eRe4s3r

And rumors are Intel is pushing their server tier CPU releases ahead, we'll likely see Intels response to Ryzen 5 specifically then. And if they can cram a 7700K in a 10 and 6 core cpu with x2 threads and price it competitively, because thanks to Ryzen we now have competition, we ought to see some real advancements in the CPU world again.

And another rumor is that Intel Skylake-G will ship with modular graphics, meaning you might actually see an Intel chip with AMD igpu

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 15, 2017, 20:19 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Apr 15, 2017, 16:16:
That probably explains what you saw in the matchmaking at least. The article is kind of griping about slower progress, but what that really does is cause them to get matched up with teammates that are below their actual skill level. That would explain the "surrounded by idiots" feeling for Support/Healer mains

Yeah, this would really explain a lot.. unbelievable, and this is why I always detest this rigged match making

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 15, 2017, 15:46 eRe4s3r

Truth ;/  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 14, 2017, 21:37 eRe4s3r

"nobody has to have electrical power"

Where do you dig those people up, from some curio-shop ?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2017, 21:31 eRe4s3r

"big performance boost"

They mean 5.92 fps to 10.65 fps

Yes, really. Slideshow vs Powerpoint I guess.

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Beta
20. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Beta Apr 14, 2017, 10:56 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 09:42:
I get you not buying it overall -- my first try I only made it to level 39. But I'm a bit surprised you are so totally dismissive of it. On my first try it was more of a realization the game was going to require a reasonable time investment -- and I wasn't up for it then. But it grabbed me pretty well immediately -- I liked it enough I bought some stash tabs just to give them some money.

I guess I just don't like the concepts that you are required to invest time in, for me it was always mainly a grind, and not enough reward. If you played D3 you know what I mean I guess, you can say it's a simple game at the core, but it throws rewards at you like nothing. Even if all you find is scrap, you scrap it and reinvest it in Kanais cube, that is fun, because nothing is really "useless"

And one of the big reasons I dislike PoE is also that there is no real classes, I liked being restricted to my Amazon or Assassin, or my WD because these classes all look and play unique. But in PoE it always end up being some weird kind of mashup that just doesn't do it for me. Same problem I had in Dungeon Siege 2 (you remember that? ;P) although in that you really started to look unique to your class-skills after a while, you always had weird overlaps though.

And if you were to see my WD in D3 you'd understand why I am missing D3 whenever I play PoE ;p
https://eu.battle.net/d3/de/profile/eRe4s3r-2812/hero/3677835

News Comments > NIGHTHAW-X3000 Launches
2. Re: NIGHTHAW-X3000 Launches Apr 14, 2017, 10:38 eRe4s3r

In another 20 years they will maybe sells shmups that they call retro, but that actually have decent graphics, music and sound, eh?

One can hope.

18. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Beta Apr 13, 2017, 17:50 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 17:16:
Yeah, level 48 isn't even really the main part of the game. You probably didn't even get an Ascendancy class.. Basically, for better or for worse, PoE is not designed for casual gaming.

On that we can agree But a free to play game will never ever solicit serious commitment from me. Either it hooks, or it flies.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 13, 2017, 17:48 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 15:24:

I have sympathy for people who get fucked over by airlines, I've been there myself. But...

...maybe I should have googled what a concussion is before posting this.

Right? That's what you wanted to actually say. Because maybe you ought to google that before making yourself look like an empathy devoid robot. IN fact, google it anyway, because clearly you are unaware of what this does to people, and why it's your second priority if you ever encounter an accident to make sure the people aren't in shock or have a concussion. People in shock are the most dangerous fucking thing on an accident site. And if you had ever listened when you made your driving license you'd know this.

And if even half of the injuries that float around are true then he had a severe concussion. That they did not bring him to an hospital ASAP will be another cool $2m on top of that incoming lawsuit. And well deserved those 3 "officers" are now on administrative leave. But they are not the problem, the airline is the problem. When you boarded passengers a flight is boarded, you can't "unboard" passengers. And sure as hell not when the next flight they offered wasn't even a guaranteed seat.

As long as US airlines think they can manhandle customers like shit they will do things like this. Imo the only recourse is not to fly, there are trains, no?

16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2017, 17:10 eRe4s3r

LiTh wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 12:00:
descender wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 11:24:
its almost uniformly from people who've never given it more than a few hours of playtime, which is a real shame

There is nothing innately impressive about the skill tree in PoE, and the game allows for respeccing so there is practically zero difference between that and the way D3 handles builds except for tedium and time.

There isn't a single feature in PoE that actually makes the game more fun to play than any other generic ARPG other than the price tag.

Proving my point. PoE's 'skill tree' is completely passive with the exception of a few skill jewels. Its skills come from the gems that you mix and match in combinations (literally hundreds of combinations for a single skill) that change how the skills work. Add to that uniques/jewels that also can modify skills and the best crafting/currency system I've ever seen and you get something quite unique. I've played D3 quite a bit, I'm currently playing season 10, but it is more to wind down and decompress. D3 classes and skills require zero brain input, whereas PoE's builds and mechanics and pathing require a large investment of time and brain power. PoE's mechanics are certainly not friendly to the new player, that much is for sure.

I think you missed what he meant, PoE's gem system does exactly not make the game more fun, only more unique.... because it forces you to do things other than slaughtering mobs for loot, namely suddenly you have to become a crafter/gambler because to get the links you need and colors in just the right item you can't even upgrade to a flat-out better item when you find it, the stars have to align and the virgins need to be sacrificed if you want to ever find a clean upgrade to something heavily gemmed that you wear. That is exactly 0 fun.

I played the game up to level 48, I ran around with a level 17 weapon because nothing I found ended up actually allowing me to use the skills I *needed* and with a unique belt and shield that did nothing for my skill selection and so I always ended up with less damage overall even with a weapon and item that was clearly superior in every way.

And this gem system is the primary reason PoE's loot reward system sucks. Yeah, I find legendary items, wow, no usable color for me on them though, and reroll turns a red gemmed bow into a blue gemmed bow with NO LINKS, wow. happened exactly 16 out of 16 times I found a legendary.

What I will flat out admit is that D3 with it's current set balance really does not require much thought but better that, than to never actually find a good loot item that you can instantly use to upgrade your power.

PoE got its core reward loop all mangled up in boring minutiae that really are unique, but can often result in a lot of sighing and even non-progression or backwards progression item power wise. And how is that fun in a loot lottery game with non-smooth combat? I can't see it ;/

And to top it off, just because you can combine something 100 ways doesn't mean that there are more than 2 good ways. Because this is often the case in PoE, you experiment with gems, links etc, find that they suck because the thing you got going is leveled up massively and does 500x times more damage and then you forget about that stupid system and stick to what works.

This system adds exactly nothing aside from further micromanagement ;/

News Comments > On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks
11. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 13, 2017, 09:48 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 21:39:
Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 21:15:
So out of curiosity, what do they mean by smurfing? Deliberately losing?

Not deliberately losing, that's de-ranking. Smurfing is when you buy a 2nd account and start from scratch to be paired against noobs. Many top 500 players have smurf accounts that they play on the side, some even have multiple accounts in the top 500.

Ah, thanks, got my smurfs mixed up... I never understood what the point of that is. I can't even fathom it. Isn't a high rank a badge of honor?

11413 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo