Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11865 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2017, 10:53 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 09:52:
Pretty cool posse you got there!

INdeed

That Shkreli jury selection is one hell of a funny read, like seriously, why even ask for a jury decision? That's incredibly foolish. I mean fucking hells, I heard of him and I hate the guy and I am not even American! I wouldn't want me on the Jury either.. to be honest. Never could I be impartial in the face of such literal exemplified corporate greed

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER II Race Revealed
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2017, 05:37 eRe4s3r

Grumpy Sod wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 04:25:
Question for those in the know, because I'm too lazy to hunt around online; How does 2 interact with 1 if you own both? I seem to remember it being mentioned that 2 will effectively work like an expansion if you own the first, but that doesn't need the first.

[edit] Never mind, it was right there in the FAQ. Combined map! FAQ link

Combined map will come many weeks after release, ON release, you get a stand-alone game with 4 races and a new campaign map. And until the combined map "patch" hits, you will have 2 separate games Once it hits, all your DLC races and Game 1 and Game 2 default races will be playable on 1 map. With some starting position changes because certain parts of the continent had to become a bit squished together to fit...

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
24. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 17, 2017, 01:26 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:14:
swaaye wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:03:
They named it Prey in hopes of selling more copies. You know, mitigate risks a bit by using an established name and the brand power that includes. Unfortunately, it still didn't sell very well from what I've read. Neither did Dishonored 2. Or Deus Ex MD. It's not good for anyone that this game formula doesn't sell well to the masses.

Dishonored 2 is objectively a worse game than Dishonored 1 though (I own and played both), same for Deus EX Mankind Divided, which was objectively a worse game than Deus EX Human Revolution (I own and played both) (And yes, I would say worse already starts when these sequels feel so identical and sometimes even cut-down to their originals that it all just blends together) but for both games it's also because the writing quality took a nose-dive

They're not objectively worse at all. Dishonored 2 and DX:MD both expanded and improved upon their predecessors in numerous ways. Stealth was better, combat better and level design was at least on par. Writing was inferior, true, but that's just one part of the game. Taken as a whole, both games were improvements.

The truth is that immersive sims were never big sellers. DX:HR and Dishonored sold because they were fresh and unique. They are no longer either of those things so they lost that key selling point. Same thing happened with Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Fresh and new are however what defines good or bad just as much as writing, gameplay, graphics and sound.... Nier:A was to me far more enjoyable than Dishonored 2 or Deus EX MD

But aside that I agree, that by being sequels with new new fresh ideas they lost their key selling point. And especially with DEUS EX I never understood why we never played anyone else, as absurd it as it sounds, when I say writing quality went to hell, I really mean that they had no new ideas or fresh elements, no ballsy character decisions, no mature conversations within the story, with reflection and a proper hook.

And I do not agree that Dishonored 2 and Deus EX MD were the better games. When I jugde a game then that game does not exist in it's own universe. After having played Dishonored 1 and mastering the movement, Dishonored 2 with that wonky engine and movement feeling was such a major step back that it ended up being a lot less fun. And Deus EX MD... was nothing more than a half-assed mod of Deus EX HR (which was better because more open and less dumbed down -the mandatory boss fights but that was fixed mostly, and realistically in a story like this, sometimes someone really GOTTA die or the story makes no sense.)

18. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 17, 2017, 00:14 eRe4s3r

swaaye wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 00:03:
They named it Prey in hopes of selling more copies. You know, mitigate risks a bit by using an established name and the brand power that includes. Unfortunately, it still didn't sell very well from what I've read. Neither did Dishonored 2. Or Deus Ex MD. It's not good for anyone that this game formula doesn't sell well to the masses.

Dishonored 2 is objectively a worse game than Dishonored 1 though (I own and played both), same for Deus EX Mankind Divided, which was objectively a worse game than Deus EX Human Revolution (I own and played both) (And yes, I would say worse already starts when these sequels feel so identical and sometimes even cut-down to their originals that it all just blends together) but for both games it's also because the writing quality took a nose-dive.

It's imo fair that both games sold worse than their predecessors. If they hadn't that would have sent a far worse message.

And to call Prey a "brand" is pretty funny I remember nothing of Prey (the original) and I played it through... well, nothing isn't true, I remember portals.. and then Portal came out and Prey was old news.

15. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 23:24 eRe4s3r

The only disaster is that they named this Prey, this game is really System Shock 3, and a few problems notwithstanding (inventory management nightmares from fucking hell) it's a great game. And the ending is a true mind-fuck

What it really isn't though, is Prey.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2017, 10:16 eRe4s3r

The 6th episode has also leaked, so this can't possibly be all there is to that story.  

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
35. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 16, 2017, 10:12 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 09:22:
Drayth wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 19:53:
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_s_rx_64_launch_pricing_was_only_for_early_sales/1

That and their new drivers to optimize for Nicehash is just some scumbag shit from AMD. The whole launch in general was a fucking fiasco, drip drab marketing, innuendo, bullshit benchmarks and now this crap.

Have fun selling your blowdryer cards to miners I guess AMD.

Yeah I don't get the logic, in the long run this hurts AMD business across the entire AMD platform.. since miners don't buy AMD cpu's (what for?), they don't buy AMD mainboards (what for?), and they sure as hell don't buy AMD monitors (what for?).

Imo a GPU company that sells MORE than GPU's and depends on that for it's market share growth is just flat out stupid catering to miners at all. Especially with a card that's nearing 50 fucking db noise values... Vega 56 included... a card that is matched by the nearly 15 times less noisier 1070

The entire vega design is just meh imo. I am banking that the redesigns will change this cooling solution entirely though, and that might still make it a good card, a very hot card, but probably a lot less noisy.

33. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 16, 2017, 02:09 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 00:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 22:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 20:33:
JSP wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 15:33:
Get the 56 with Freesync monitor, that will be enough for most if they waited for AMD until now. From what I read Vega 56 has 30 to 50 W more power consumption and exceeds 1070 in most tests. Hopefully the AIB Vega 56s will be ready by the 28th

I'm going to go with a dead-heat 56 vs 1070.

Can it get any closer with this 25 game avg?
https://www.techspot.com/review/1468-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56/page8.html

A card I can buy right now (1070) vs a card I can't buy anywhere (VEGA 56) is not exactly a relevant comparison. And 40W extra power usage is a bit... well, meh.

No German tech shop has this card for sale, it's probably being bought up straight outside the factory by miners....

And that is not inherently bad, what it is however, is the typical shit-show of an AMD product launch. Today reviews are everywhere but the cards are nowhere to be found

yup. if you're going to get the 56 (i htink i will) you better have your finger on the trigger the moment they becom available on the 28th. as far as i can tell all vega 64s are already sold out.

Considering this
Sound Levels I think I will skip VEGA entirely, I don't want a lawn mower in my rig.

News Comments > Agents of Mayhem Released
7. Re: Agents of Mayhem Released Aug 15, 2017, 21:11 eRe4s3r

Holy crap, for the longest of times I thought this was a MMO or MOBA.. lmao, turns out it's got a open-world campaign and everything?  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 15, 2017, 05:08 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 12:19:
Oh Ubisoft, why can you so rarely get it right? :\

Rarely? When did Ubisoft ever get E-Sports right?

Or games, for that matter, there is always potential in Ubisoft games, and they always fall completely flat because of design by committee

News Comments > The Division Patch Tomorrow; DLC Sample This Weekend
5. Re: The Division Patch Tomorrow; DLC Sample This Weekend Aug 14, 2017, 22:19 eRe4s3r

This game is one of the saddest game purchases I ever made. It sounded so awesome, and then combat is a grindy mess full of bullet sponges and arena fights. The story is absurdly bad... and the recent patches did nothing good to the game imo.

But the world building is top notch, the city and everything in it looks absolutely fantastic and walking around in it as snow-storm goes through that's genuinely beautiful... until you walk into the next identical 4 dude mob you fought 6000 times before for zero loot.

The weird grindy design hurt this game so much.... bullet sponges and stuff like that just don't say "realism" to me.

29. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 14, 2017, 22:09 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 20:33:
JSP wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 15:33:
Get the 56 with Freesync monitor, that will be enough for most if they waited for AMD until now. From what I read Vega 56 has 30 to 50 W more power consumption and exceeds 1070 in most tests. Hopefully the AIB Vega 56s will be ready by the 28th

I'm going to go with a dead-heat 56 vs 1070.

Can it get any closer with this 25 game avg?
https://www.techspot.com/review/1468-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56/page8.html

A card I can buy right now (1070) vs a card I can't buy anywhere (VEGA 56) is not exactly a relevant comparison. And 40W extra power usage is a bit... well, meh.

No German tech shop has this card for sale, it's probably being bought up straight outside the factory by miners....

And that is not inherently bad, what it is however, is the typical shit-show of an AMD product launch. Today reviews are everywhere but the cards are nowhere to be found

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: DMCA Used to Remove Ad Server URL From Easylist Ad Blocklist Aug 14, 2017, 00:16 eRe4s3r

Thanks, added and.. well, that's all there is to that. ^^  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2017, 01:22 eRe4s3r

Hoop wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 20:46:
bigspender wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 18:39:
100 year old fruit cake found in Antarctica's Oldest Building.

I'm not that impressed honestly. After all, we've got a 70 year old fruit cake running the US right now.

Bravo *Golf Clap*
Only your's is way too nutty, soaked in alcohol & could within a couple of rouge tweets set off a psychopathic level 10 control freak to nuke you all to kingdom come.

I know that is probably extremely cynically, but I would vote for nuking North Korea without a second thought if that had any chance of fixing that nightmarish abomination of a pseudo nation.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 13, 2017, 01:17 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 12:34:
That Android article is clickbait. After reading it, they clearly state that only 3 apps had the malware in them and one of them was downloaded 1000 times.

Fake news.

ZDNet is owned by CBS

So no surprise there, don't expect journalism from a tabloid site.

News Comments > Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1
13. Re: Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1 Aug 13, 2017, 01:15 eRe4s3r

DarkCntry wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 21:17:
The only thing that the AI can do that we cannot is calculate near-endless possibilities without drawing attention from something else. It is a single-minded opponent with laser focus basically.

A person has to gauge between creep control, item control, and physical placement, which can be difficult to do all at once...especially when we have to physically move aspects of our bodies (eyes, hands, fingers, etc) on top of it.

AI simply has to calculate and execute with no physical requirements behind it other than the limits of the hardware that it is working on.

Yeah, but to do that it has to understand how to play DOTA 2, which is pretty damn impressive. It manages mobs, it micros attacks, it pulls and pushes, this AI is better than a human player at all those things, not just at reaction. If you gave this AI latency on par with human reaction time it'd be equally matched with the *best*, which is absolutely mind-blowing.

And the mechanics to learn how to play DOTA 2 can be applied to self-driving cars, if the neural network were connected to 50 million cars to fine tune for each special case the end result would be absolutely staggering driving abilities. (Which is why this stuff comes from Elon Musk's financed AI development I guess)

News Comments > Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1
8. Re: Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1 Aug 12, 2017, 18:20 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 14:32:
Riiiiight, bots know exactly where you are at all times, don't have to search. Nor are they affected or effected by things like fog or bloom. They have autoaim and can see across the map without any restrictions. Duh?

[_] You watched the match and explanation

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 12, 2017, 00:52 eRe4s3r

William Rubin wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:14:
I would think any initiative that puts anyone who wants to work at a company at a substantial disadvantage because of race or sex

Seeing that there's a unwarranted minority of women at Blizzard, and their high turnover rate, the evidence suggests they are the ones at "a substantial disadvantage".

Which leads me to a question: I'm curious as why men currently being at a substantial advantage didn't warrant a mention.

And they specifically said what they were going to do, which isn't a quota. That also explicitly stated that they wouldn't have quotas. Yet you talk like they are instituting quotas, which are almost always used to limit women and minority candidates, not help them. Quotas are almost always used as a low ceiling, not a floor.

If Blizzard is not planning on doing this then I got that interview totally wrong and that would be pretty shameful on my part as that was what originally pissed me off

William Rubin wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:14:
Because negotiating for a better wage when the only reason you got hired over an equally skilled male/majority was that you looked like a female/minority is gonna put you at a huge disadvantage.

It's obvious that you've got that backwards. White men aren't always hired because they're more qualified, but often because they are white men. In this country, being a white man is often a qualification in and of itself.

In Germany you have far different problems, social selection and name selection. I doubt that statement you wrote would really fit even 20% of white males in the USA by the way... you think the people who (for example) voted for Trump, who don't live in the big cities, who a took net loss of ~27% in wages over the past 30 years consider themselves privileged? Privileged to be poor and socially ostracized by city dwelling democrats maybe, but I doubt that leads to them being particularly happy or rich.

Either way, I can totally understand that someone who HAS this privilege would not want to give it up....
And equally, I can't really support hiring standards based on some ideology or another.

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 Expansion Announced
3. Re: Euro Simulator 2 Expansion Announced Aug 12, 2017, 00:22 eRe4s3r

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 22:53:
Truck...the important part missing from the title.

I don't want to play as a Euro. People and their germ infested hands always grasping onto you. Gross.

I am sure there are some for whom that counts as their fetish... ^^

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Aug 12, 2017, 00:14 eRe4s3r

William Rubin wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 23:32:
Actually, the only question that matters is what does their desire to make the company friendlier to women have to do with making it unwelcome to white males?

That's a paranoid statement.

Maybe it is yet I would think any initiative that puts anyone who wants to work at a company at a substantial disadvantage because of race or sex is gonna have effects that are most definitely not positive nor friendly to the climate at that company. A company can hire whomever it wants, mind you, I just think boycotting such companies is an equally valid counter

And the joke is, this also hurts whoever gets hired through such a quota in terms of wage and negotiation chances. Because negotiating for a better wage when the only reason you got hired over an equally skilled male/majority was that you looked like a female/minority is gonna put you at a huge disadvantage. And this leads to bullshit such as the one going on at Google, where the engineers memo was willfully misunderstood by people with less education than see-snails only to fuel a hate-mob and get a guy fired for saying that diversity is done for the wrong reasons and in the wrong ways (which is true, otherwise females at google would get same pay for same job as males... which they don't)

I invite you to read that slatecodex link I posted, it will open your eyes (maybe) that not everything is as clear cut when you see female/male ratios in jobs. There are reasons for those, and they have not all to do with sexism.

Ps.: And I will plainly admit that I am scared of such initiatives, if my employee would tell me (I am a freelancer) he'd rather hire a female freelancer than I would be economically fucked. And why? Because of a quota? No thanks

You can not force me to accept a worsening of my economic situation and chances in life. They are already shitty enough as it is.

11865 Comments. 594 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo