Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11414 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 7, 2017, 20:16 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2017, 15:48:
Actually not true. There are both types: Variable strength and fixed strength. Watch the video embedded in the story.

Also I remember back in the day a story about an arcade operator that would tie the best prizes to the bottom.

Fixed strength machines like all skill based games are easily exploited by skilled players though. Imo it's fairer to make them variable strength (fixed win rate = luck based win chance) at least then everyone got the same chance. Otherwise how would you ever run a profit with them? They cost real money to refill, they don't refill with the money that players pay for a ticket after all, especially if the stuff is sold on ebay. And if you raise the ticket price to match your cost, you might as well forgo the luck/skill element entirely and make it a fancy automated store front.

And imo such a machine would need to at least pay for the stuff you put in no matter the skill level, otherwise you open yourself up for easy exploitation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 7, 2017, 14:33 eRe4s3r

Claw machines were actually always rigged (only 1 in X times the claw would engage with full force). Don't tell me there are people who didn't know this!  

News Comments > Prey Released
31. Re: Prey Released May 6, 2017, 08:10 eRe4s3r

Man am I glad to have ignored the naysayers, this game an absolute blast, nearly full open hub design, you can go anywhere, space EVA's included (you gotta unlock airlocks from the inside first though, this allows you to skip HUGE paths, finally some logic!, and the atmosphere is scary as hell

For me another Game of the year candidate, and it runs on my potato nearly flawless (on medium)

<-> 7 hours in btw, unlocked hacking 4 and got neuromod blueprint haha, I think a bit earlier than I was supposed to, the enemy there was hardcore, but tenacity and all my grenades fixed that.

If wonder if the game has alternate endings? Because it seems there is a clear distinction between "human" abilities and alien abilities in the stats/neuromod page... my first tun is gonna be 100% human abilities, we'll see.

News Comments > Dawn of Andromeda Dawns
2. Re: Dawn of Andromeda Dawns May 5, 2017, 05:46 eRe4s3r

JaguarUSF wrote on May 5, 2017, 05:45:
Here's my review of it.

Short version: No

Slightly longer version: nothing unique and a terrible interface

Not surprising ;/

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 5, 2017, 05:19 eRe4s3r

Btw, the 2 factor auth issue described here is why to this day I ignore Steam nag screens that want steam to link to my phone. Your phone is not secure, it will never be secure. Do not put anything safety relevant or money relevant on your phone.

And why for example, I consider mTan for banking criminally stupid. A bank that offers this has apparently never heard of the SS7 attack making any mobile phone transactions based on SMS 100% insecure.

TL;DR. DO NOT USE YOUR SMART PHONE FOR 2FA (or banking!)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 5, 2017, 04:27 eRe4s3r

To be honest, I wouldn't even care who the host was, if they are skilled and charismatic talkers (kinda required for a host) and retain the channels direction (Although I would find it kinda odd to see Total Biscuit for example not being hosted by the dude)

NO idea how much the host was relevant to the channel (I'd guess a lot given the ratings) but their first "real" new content video is a total joke compared to the other videos (seriously, check old and new vids to realize the drastic shit in tone and content)

The first new video was basically a badly researched and horribly delivered Disney ad

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade Launches
2. Re: Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade Launches May 5, 2017, 02:59 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on May 4, 2017, 22:31:
So... this, or Stellaris + Utopia?

Will tell you when it's done installing and I played a whole round Before that, would be kinda impossible to judge

But I am gonna go on a limb and say that Stellaris is only good the first hundred turns (as soon as empires are not same-power anymore and everything is "bordered up" the game breaks)

If wonder if GC3 Crusade actually managed to fix this for itself, and there is also Dawn of Andromeda...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 4, 2017, 11:09 eRe4s3r

How would an UK judge lock up open source app that is 100% legal and doesn't do anything by itself? That's like banning roads because car accidents and races happen.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews May 4, 2017, 06:13 eRe4s3r

Rather meet the person responsible for the e-sport focus pervading everything and even going against WH40k lore, and the campaign that is a glorified tutorial and a trope fest.

And sales remain abysmal too....
http://steamspy.com/app/285190

If this were Wh40k, he'd be a chaos lord corrupting everything.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Tease
9. Re: Far Cry 3 Tease May 3, 2017, 12:36 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on May 3, 2017, 12:28:
Pardon my French, but vaut le fuq would we do with a remaster? FarCry 3 still looks awesome with all bells and whistles turned on. Maybe it is FarCry 3: Unfinished Business? We get back to the island and this time will actually be the bad guy for a change?

That would be amazing, but there's 2 bad guys, no? ;p

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2017, 12:34 eRe4s3r

If that voice could also emulate emotional range, mood, tone and character, we'd have something amazing, but sadly it ain't there yet.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2017, 00:53 eRe4s3r

Steazy wrote on May 2, 2017, 13:41:
Always suspicious when some group announces an amazing new camera that's going to change everything... but don't provide any examples of the photo/footage it takes?

Found one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snSIRJ2brEk

From what they're sharing it sounds like they've just refined the process used almost 6 years ago by these guys - just chroma-keying lasers to different color sensors on the CCD to run them in parallel. http://news.mit.edu/2011/trillion-fps-camera-1213 - 5 times the FPS but 1/100th the resolution as half a decade ago, nice work - oh also it's B&W now. I'm sure this is great for research but can't we just get a few pretty videos out of science so we can show people it's worthwhile

Except the videos from MIT looked amazing and the one from Lund looks like motherbrain on NES.

If the goal was to film "light" then they succeeded, this is probably not a general purpose slow-mo camera If you follow channels that do this for aesthetic reasons you will notice that already at 28k fps the resolution and light level fall extremely, they need basically full on sunlight to even film at those speeds, and it's still really dark.

So filming light that moves is actually a huge achievement and imo is interesting to watch. Would make it absolutely impractical for filming any event that you can't trigger 100% accurate though.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 3, 2017, 00:15 eRe4s3r

The problem isn't even so much the video, it's that he already conditioned the children to think these kind of pranks are OK, when to us outside, they bordering on child abuse. And what he does to the youngest is imo clearly a crime. Violation of privacy, violation of physical and mental security... that shit was disgusting as hell.

Ps.: That rater story isn't much better, another human scumbag (not the rater who spoke, the one who got him fired)

Is Blues putting these links up to engage us emotionally or something?

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 2, 2017, 11:22 eRe4s3r

Yeah VEGA is coming so hard that AMD had to rebrand R4s to R5s to make... uh, what.. room in the inventory? Hey.. that actually makes some kind of sense....

News Comments > Darksiders III Leaked
5. Re: Darksiders III Leaked May 2, 2017, 11:10 eRe4s3r

Finally, loved DS2, want more  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 2, 2017, 07:06 eRe4s3r

Bundy wrote on May 1, 2017, 14:06:
In the end the game's most well known griever killed the player. Which was the least shocking thing I've seen in a long time.

Somewhere there is a very insensitive joke to be made about where the most reviled player in Elite comes from

But I have to say, a game where something like that is even possible is not something I would ever want to play. It showcases why an always-online Elite is the worst thing to ever happen, as so much could have been done with a proper coop focused story experience in space.. but Braben did not want it.. sigh.

I think I agree with some comments that a game where other players actions can destroy the entire experience are just simply not worth a single % of your time, or money. Probably a sign I get older, and value experiences with a point more than stupid people doing stupid things. Tons of stupid people around but not tons of valuable experiences.

News Comments > Tower in the Sky - Tactics Edition Released
2. Re: Tower in the Sky - Tactics Edition Released May 2, 2017, 05:53 eRe4s3r

I feel like I have played something like this just last month.. and it looked better and was a rogue lite... (Forgot the name though ,p)  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2017, 05:49 eRe4s3r

The problem with live-TV is that it's live-TV; if I wanted that, I'd watch actual TV

And Netflix Germany is 1/12th of USA and does not have any of the shows I am actually watching, (GoT, Expanse, Doctor Who)

To see GoT I'd have to subscribe to Sky, and if I wanted to see Doctor Who I'd have to take the train to England, and to see The Expanse I'd have to subscribe to Netflix except Netflix Germany only has season 1 of The Expanse (seriously!)

Maybe at some point someone in power realizes that the above situation is fucking stupid

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 2, 2017, 02:01 eRe4s3r

Looking up where this happened I see that half the cities are in yellow flood zones (aka, floods semi-regularly every 2 to 10 years)

Does the gov there just not give a shit? That is incredibly sad.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 1, 2017, 02:21 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on May 1, 2017, 02:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 1, 2017, 00:23:
Btw, I don't really agree that the genre needs a hiatus, but what I would happily agree is that after DoW 2, they should have picked a direction for this and go with it, but instead they made something that somehow manages to piss both fan groups (DoW1 and DoW2 fans)

And as I said before, I really really enjoyed the DoW 2 gameplay... if they had given DoW 3 some advanced random mission system, and maybe a bit deeper roleplaying with a better loot system that is deeply ingrained in the lore of Wh40k I'd have been extremely happy. I have not touched MP in a RTS since SC2, and I don't intend to ever do that. And in SC2 I only play coop.

Except your description of the ideal DoW3 isn't an RTS. It's essentially squad-based Diablo (which is what many DoW fans disliked about DoW2). If another DoW does get made, I wouldn't be surprised to see it commit to that direction because the traditional RTS genre seems just about dead.

At this point, I'm not sure what it would take to rejuvenate the RTS genre without changing it completely like MOBAs did. It's not like there's been a lack of good RTS games in recent years. It's just that nobody seems to care about them anymore.

Mhh, good point. I guess in a sense I want the RTS genre to actually change the idea of RTS so fundamentally that at the end, it probably wouldn't be called RTS anymore. That is not a bad thing imo. Because when it comes down to it gaming will be defined by new experiences, you won't become a huge success nowadays unless you apply INSANE polish and money to an existing idea (GTA5, $200m dev budget), or you come up with a new idea, or advance a good idea that hasn't been done really well yet (asymmetric, nearly rogue-lite, RTS gameplay, comes to mind).

And imo if you want to rejuvenate the genre the first thing you gotta do is look at all conventions defining this genre and burn them down. This isn't just RTS, it's also 4x and in some ways RPG's. They all got so tight conventions nowadays that the "off-shoots" are few and far between. I can't even remember a AAA game that did something relatively unique in the past decade. Maybe except a few, Nier: Automata comes to mind.

To me, one of the greatest insults you can throw at a game is calling its gameplay formulaic. And there are so many games where you could legitimately throw that insult at any release the past decade and not hit anyone falsely.

I wouldn't have minded a true DoW 1 successor btw, to me it's not about that though. I can happily spend 150hours or more in a game like Factorio. So I don't mind games that have no really story and just a REALLY good core-gameplay loop, but it has to have some complexity and depth to it that many many AAA titles do not have.

I also have a hard time connecting with reviews nowadays... but whatever. It's rare to see a game have such a huge disconnect between professional reviewers and steam reviews. Remember, steam reviews that are only counted for paying customers. Meaning 50% hated the game that they paid money for. And many reviewser are 25 hours or more in the game too.

It's just.. I don't like this direction the game industry takes at all.

11414 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo