Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11415 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 18:09 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2017, 08:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 11, 2017, 14:03:
Retired wrote on May 11, 2017, 12:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2017, 19:38:
The Half Elf wrote on May 10, 2017, 12:15:
Contractors are like a toilet plunger. You don't need one till you need one.
And most people have no idea what is needed to skill wise or material wise to make/fix the issue. Similar to building a PC. Some people will take the time to learn the process or find out what is needed and do it, others just want the PC to work and will throw money at it.
But most projects aren't just X Y Z.
For example you have a leaking pipe in the bathroom. Well how long has it been leaking? Did it cause damage to the floor/wall/ceiling? Is there mold? Was there anything else that was damaged that needed to be replaced?

Considering it took me damn near 2 months to even notice I had a drip leaking pipe I can totally agree, finding this took over 2 hours by the contractor I had called. He had to hand feel literally every single pipe up there, remove the foam insulation, and put it back together. After he too agreed that a heating unit losing water at a steady and measurable rate is probably a leaky pipe. And finding it was just the first step, then he had to get heavy machinery, cut pipes apart, bend them to fit again and reseal everything. I can't even fathom how you would do that in the completely blocked maintenance shaft where the pipes go all down into the basement. If anything leaks there I guess there are going to be many new holes in this house afterwards.

Ps.: I am still extremely thankful the leaking pipe was JUST before the pipe shaft. And it was so impossible hard to find because the stupid foam soaked it up and it evaporated without running or dripping anywhere with a noise or even visibly... so yeah, piping and anything involving water or gas are such complicated complex and impossibly multi-staged problems to even diagnose that I don't envy the guys doing this job. You don't just need to have good skills, you need to be able to detect, think and reason at a level that puts detectives to shame.

Anyone with copper pipes will eventually have tons of problems. They deteriorate, which they did not think was going to happen. Everything is PEX now. A ton easier as well, super fast, easy connections, bendable around objects, etc - oh and hella cheaper.

Good luck.

Yeah, but replacing piping is an all or nothing thing usually Hardly a cheap repair option. And for my gas heating unit I'd be really really worried with PEX pipes.... are they stable up to 100°C yet? That's not operating temp outside of the cycle in the heating unit, but a faulty temps sensor can easily trigger a temperature surge before shut-down.
Doubt it is made for boiling water but it's close. http://www.sharkbite.com/resources/faqs/pex-tubing/
Q: What is the hottest water that can be run through PEX pipe?
A: The temperature of the water is dependent on the pressure setting:

74°F (23°C) @ 160 psi
180°F (82°C) @ 100 psi
200° F (93°C) @ 80 psi

As always your google may vary.

Ah...

safety instructions on my heating unit say piping needs to be rated for "110°C system flow temp at 6 Bar pressure" (In German we use SI units) (6 bar is 87 PSI)

Good to know that PEX is not an option for me ;/

Also I looked at PEX, and for that 93°C 80 PSI rating the pipe would need to have twice as thick a wall as a copper pipe. Meaning the piping would be marginally (7mm) larger. Obviously that is a problem for holes you got everywhere, and fittings you got everywhere (on heating units) that are not for such sizes...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Surviving Mars Announced
9. Re: Surviving Mars Announced May 12, 2017, 17:32 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2017, 16:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 12, 2017, 16:48:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 12, 2017, 12:02:
BobBob wrote on May 12, 2017, 11:49:
The surface of Mars does not look red when you're on it.

Explained.

Thanks man, that's some pretty interesting stuff.

While we are on about debunking movies and depictions of Mars, let's start with Life on Mars and the intro storm that triggered it all, well, it was complete non-scientific BS. (surprise surprise)
NASA: Fact and fiction of martian dust storms

TL;DR -> The winds in the strongest Martian storms top out at about 60 miles per hour, and at 10% atmospheric density that means you literally couldn't even feel it inside anything that is made of any kind of solid material. A rocket lander can't be toppled by dust storms on Mars. The worst it might do is put a bit of sand on your solar panels.

And by the way, that sand? It's sticky as hell, it sticks to literally everything and maybe worse, it carries a static charge like nothing else. This is why you REALLY need to put your solar panels underneath domes too. Wind Power is completely out of consideration. The atmosphere is so thin (see above wind speeds -> 10% of earth) that you can't generate any worthwhile power.
Who cleans the domes, i see a future for the mafia yet.
Fake news Movies are fake, sad.
We gotta debunk fictional flicks now?.

Yeah, yeah we really do

Tons of people got really wrong ideas and conceptions about Mars (Starts with "Red planet" and ends with sand). And that movie in particular is the primary recent culprit. The way dusty sand behaves on Mars is so alien to our conceptions about dust that it needs to be hammered in again and again. Don't think of dust on Mars or even the Moon like sand on a beach. This stuff is like abrasive glue from hell. On the Moon, you have the added benefit of no wind, and believe me when I say, no wind + abrasive glue from hell is a lot better than abrasive glue from hell that flies around everywhere. On Mars, you got plenty of mild wind, and that makes Mars 1000000x worse for big unshielded domes When I say domes for solar panels, I really mean you need to fortify them in a sealed bunker during a dust storm. If you get that dust on them then every time you clean it you lose efficiency. Even a see-through dome would eventually become opaque.

The joke is, so far we haven't had any realistic mars colony sim AT ALL. They all got Mars wrong more or less, mostly more.

News Comments > Surviving Mars Announced
7. Re: Surviving Mars Announced May 12, 2017, 16:48 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on May 12, 2017, 12:02:
BobBob wrote on May 12, 2017, 11:49:
The surface of Mars does not look red when you're on it.

Explained.

Thanks man, that's some pretty interesting stuff.

While we are on about debunking movies and depictions of Mars, let's start with Life on Mars and the intro storm that triggered it all, well, it was complete non-scientific BS. (surprise surprise)
NASA: Fact and fiction of martian dust storms

TL;DR -> The winds in the strongest Martian storms top out at about 60 miles per hour, and at 10% atmospheric density that means you literally couldn't even feel it inside anything that is made of any kind of solid material. A rocket lander can't be toppled by dust storms on Mars. The worst it might do is put a bit of sand on your solar panels.

And by the way, that sand? It's sticky as hell, it sticks to literally everything and maybe worse, it carries a static charge like nothing else. This is why you REALLY need to put your solar panels underneath domes too. Wind Power is completely out of consideration. The atmosphere is so thin (see above wind speeds -> 10% of earth) that you can't generate any worthwhile power.

In fact this trailer here got it all wrong

This comment was edited on May 12, 2017, 17:03.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2017, 14:03 eRe4s3r

Retired wrote on May 11, 2017, 12:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2017, 19:38:
And most people have no idea what is needed to skill wise or material wise to make/fix the issue. Similar to building a PC. Some people will take the time to learn the process or find out what is needed and do it, others just want the PC to work and will throw money at it.
For example you have a leaking pipe in the bathroom. Well how long has it been leaking? Did it cause damage to the floor/wall/ceiling? Is there mold? Was there anything else that was damaged that needed to be replaced?

Considering it took me damn near 2 months to even notice I had a drip leaking pipe I can totally agree, finding this took over 2 hours by the contractor I had called. He had to hand feel literally every single pipe up there, remove the foam insulation, and put it back together. After he too agreed that a heating unit losing water at a steady and measurable rate is probably a leaky pipe. And finding it was just the first step, then he had to get heavy machinery, cut pipes apart, bend them to fit again and reseal everything. I can't even fathom how you would do that in the completely blocked maintenance shaft where the pipes go all down into the basement. If anything leaks there I guess there are going to be many new holes in this house afterwards.

Ps.: I am still extremely thankful the leaking pipe was JUST before the pipe shaft. And it was so impossible hard to find because the stupid foam soaked it up and it evaporated without running or dripping anywhere with a noise or even visibly... so yeah, piping and anything involving water or gas are such complicated complex and impossibly multi-staged problems to even diagnose that I don't envy the guys doing this job. You don't just need to have good skills, you need to be able to detect, think and reason at a level that puts detectives to shame.

Anyone with copper pipes will eventually have tons of problems. They deteriorate, which they did not think was going to happen. Everything is PEX now. A ton easier as well, super fast, easy connections, bendable around objects, etc - oh and hella cheaper.

Good luck.

Yeah, but replacing piping is an all or nothing thing usually Hardly a cheap repair option. And for my gas heating unit I'd be really really worried with PEX pipes.... are they stable up to 100°C yet? That's not operating temp outside of the cycle in the heating unit, but a faulty temps sensor can easily trigger a temperature surge before shut-down.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Trailer
1. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER 2 Trailer May 11, 2017, 10:35 eRe4s3r

Usually I'd scoff at a new game, but if it really merges the continents, giving us 4 entire continents to play at in the grand campaign... then that would be absolutely awesome

Now give me Skaven or bust.

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI
2. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI May 11, 2017, 10:26 eRe4s3r

Remember that Whatson AI requires a 1200 core mainframe so that is gonna be always online quite literally.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 19:38 eRe4s3r

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. May 10, 2017, 18:35 eRe4s3r

I always thought a company wasn't allowed to lie to investors.. how is that investor to feel now that Kotaku released the info that EA is withholding? That's some super strange way to communicate...

TL;DR, Bioware Montreal is downsized support team now, and ME:A on cooldown indefinitely. It's just like EA to waste Bioware talent on yet another shitty MMO though. But I guess not a lot of good scifi and character writers are still at Bioware anyway.

Btw, if you wanna have a good laugh, google ME:A alpha vs release comparision. Game looked better (I mean a shit-ton better) than whatever cut-down downsized thing they released here. They literally removed nearly a dozen advanced graphic features, entire animations, entire already recorded and extremely well done facial performances, including nvidia gameworks ENTIRELY too. How the holy fuck does that happen, did they change engines mid development???? Sounds to me like ME.A was actually cut down and reduced very late late in development to get anything at all working and released...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 10, 2017, 13:57 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:24:
Windows 10 Standard store, we hardly knew ye.

Same could be said for Opera...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization May 10, 2017, 10:54 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:06:
Creston wrote on May 10, 2017, 08:59:
Every phone will go to a full glass front, as that's "the new thing."

The problem with the S8 is that the ENTIRE phone is covered in glass. Front, sides and back.

Not sides, they're still metal. But yes, the front and back are encased in glass, just like the S7, S7 Edge, and even S6. Those didn't break any more than any other phone.

Mainly because it's a huge difference whether you have a metal bezel connecting with rubber-adhesive to glass, or you have a glass bezel connecting with rubber-adhesive to metal. Different as in, one is physically stable and nearly unbreakable from side-shocks, the other is brittle as hell and can't survive even a tiny drop from a wrong angle. This is actually the big reason you don't see bezel-less multi-monitor setups, a metal side (with tons of screws) of around 2mm is basically the physical limit, if you go below that, your entire frame becomes physically unstable.

Anyhow.. I'd rather have a phone that can survive a car accident or other life threatening thing where I might need to call something.... and the S8 won't be the choice for that, neither the S7, the S7 active however fairs better.

News Comments > TrackMania 2: Lagoon This Month
3. Re: TrackMania 2: Lagoon This Month May 10, 2017, 08:30 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on May 10, 2017, 04:06:
Wait, hold on, wasn't the whole Trackmania2 three separate games nonsense finally put to an end? And wasn't the latest one the super rainbow edition or whatever that had 4 locations including lagoon?

Nadeo can be so needlessly confusing, have you ever tried to navigate the Maniaplanet "browser" in Shootmania? You have to download different game modes like add-on mods, it makes no sense. So goddamned french.

Think it's far more amazing that this studio managed to exist without doing anything unique since 2003 (first Trackmania, and if you played that, you have played them all...) even if you enjoy better graphics and better physics (questionable!) that's still 14 years of making the same god damn game. And a business model I honestly to this day have not understood the point of.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2017, 08:47.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization May 10, 2017, 08:24 eRe4s3r

Well gee, a full glass front, who could have possibly predicted this?

Sometimes looking "nice" is not what really matters...

News Comments > New BioWare IP Delayed
2. Re: New BioWare IP Delayed May 9, 2017, 21:22 eRe4s3r

Disruptive social design? So.. a Facebook browser game? ^^

Ah.. a MMO... yeah, that's disruptive for social live alright ;p And exactly the kind of thing Andromeda was already in design anyway....

News Comments > EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players
1. Re: EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players May 9, 2017, 20:57 eRe4s3r

Sadly those 19m players are sure as hell not on PC.. because if you wanna play hardcore or any other interesting game-mode outside of a weekend, you are just flat out of luck.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. May 9, 2017, 12:27 eRe4s3r

necrosis wrote on May 9, 2017, 10:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 8, 2017, 16:53:
Jagacademy wrote on May 8, 2017, 15:14:
Speedrun "World Record" for a game that came out last week.

LOL.

C'mon man.

It's valid to call it WR .. this one here at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfQwROXRwQ

In 19 minutes ,)
Its not a WR. No speed run should be called a WR if they glitch the hell out of the game.

Does a race car driver get a WR for completing the Nürburgring by driving through the middle of the course? No.

Stop giving these hacks press.

Speed runs have many different categories, so why do you care that glitch based runs get fastest times? It's not like they detract from your enjoyment, they just show you 1 of many speed run paths. And his run is WR in his specific category, or you seeing anyone else doing it faster? It's however not the kind of speedrun I enjoy watching...

News Comments > Stellaris Turns One: Digital Anniversary Edition and Free Portrait Pack Released
2. Re: Stellaris Turns One: Digital Anniversary Edition and Free Portrait Pack Released May 9, 2017, 12:08 eRe4s3r

70€ for what is basically half a complete game at this point (end-game still totally MIA, and QoL update still missing half the features asked since release.....

And still no updates to doomstacks, combat, ground invasions....

I guess when that comes, you can expect to pay 140€ for the complete game? Meh

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 May 9, 2017, 08:58 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on May 9, 2017, 02:11:
sometimes it helps just to smile even though you're unhappy.

Studies linked that kind of self-delusional behavior to higher chance for depressions.

But you gotta admit CJ posts are really hilarious, he complains about bugs in a game yet he hasn't experienced any bugs himself. Can't tell me that didn't make you laugh Meanwhile there is people like me who played through the game twice now and haven't seen a single bug, there are tons of *glitches* to get out of bounds, duplicate resources, glitch doors, but no game breaking bugs, in fact even the hardest glitchy speedrun had no bugs or corruption, and he ran around without a suit ;p

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 9, 2017, 08:51 eRe4s3r

Ah, the USA, where a bullet-hole in your home is somehow an every day occurrence. I dunno if I should be happy or sad that the story doesn't focus on what happened to the fucktard that shot the gun because it was likely nothing.

Reminds me of that Daesh recruiting document where they say to get best weapons just go to the USA in those counties that don't have ID or background check laws for weapon purchases. But hey, that's normal in the USA I guess.... and the gun lobby likely prevents background checks exactly because of this. A paying terrorist is a customer like anyone else, right?

Just sad state of affairs all the way down.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 8, 2017, 16:53 eRe4s3r

Jagacademy wrote on May 8, 2017, 15:14:
Speedrun "World Record" for a game that came out last week.

LOL.

C'mon man.

It's valid to call it WR .. this one here at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfQwROXRwQ

In 19 minutes ,)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization May 8, 2017, 15:14 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on May 8, 2017, 11:18:
Or how about we have one and use it and haven't needed to upgrade it? Sorry it maybe dead for Wall Street because I won't buy one every year, but it isn't like a forgotten device at least over here. It has its place in the gadget toolbox. Again sorry that I can't make more people billionaires.

Exactly, why would I replace my Cyanogen modded wifi tablet? It does whatever the heck I want of it.... a newer replacement would be inferior (mostly because nothing bleeding edge supports Cyanogen)

This comment was edited on May 8, 2017, 15:26.

11415 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo