Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12298 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 6, 2018, 01:56 eRe4s3r

Only a yahoo would use yahoo  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2018, 11:09 eRe4s3r

Nimh wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 09:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 01:08:
Nimh wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 15:19:
Intel gets to nerf older CPU's up to 30%.. I wonder how much they paid Google (exploit founder) and Microsoft (exploit patcher) for that honor? All of this after everyone shrugged off the "Windows 10 will not support older CPU's" crap from last year.

I bet this is just the beginning of 'security patches' with side effects intended to kill off older product lines. Dovetails nicely with Apple's 10.2.1 cpu throttling.

Uh, a Phenom II on windows XP is affected as well? So what is your point here? In fact all CPU's are affected by the speed reduction from the patches. Even the ones not affected by the 2 bugs (which is NONE) AMD cpu's are always affected by at least 1 bug, Intel by both, completely, ARM by both, completely.

Now if you think this is over think again, any connected device ever made has an ARM cpu that is now easily haxable. And you won't get fancy updates for your intelligent toothbrush et. al.

Any CPU, from all makes, produced since 2005 is affected. And this isn't a bug, this is literally a performance feature gone bad. And they all use them. AMD with their latest server CPU's is even affected by both bugs as well. Because that is a needed feature to catch up to Intels superior IPC

No, I get it. You are right with regard to Spectre.

A 30% performance hit is going to hurt, and it doesn't help that newer CPU's basically see no impact, but older and mid-market CPU's easily are hit for 10% or more (based on the initial benchmarks that are out now). I disabled OS updates last night and will wait until I see the Westmere numbers and patch if it's under 10%, if it's over I will not for the time being. I can't afford to basically lose the machine on my bigger projects. I will just take it offline and use sneakernet I guess.

I don't really care if my toothbrush is effected or not. I don't enter personal information or passwords into it.

Well the tooth brush was a joke, but there are other things that might have internet in your house. Your TV, your tablet, phone, router, modem.... even powerlink adapters. yes, also affected. Now isn't that a fun thought?

I did extensive testing and only noticed 1-3% slow-downs if at all, and this isn't even all that's needed in terms of patching, bios firmware needs to do patching too, adn we'll see how the slow-downs will pan out. I doubt Intel is gonna be able to sell CPU's with the moniker "now 30% slower" so they will have to find a solution I mean, before the inevitable class action

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2018, 10:58 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 10:42:
"Video of 10 hours of white noise has 5 copyright claims."
Youtube is killing itself with this stupidity

It's also a nice joke about the state of the so called "music" industry.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2018, 06:57 eRe4s3r

a 300$ thermostat... hahahahahahaaaaa Mine cost 5$ and works for 30 years now, and what you get for 300$ ? Shoddily produced plastic garbage  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2018, 01:08 eRe4s3r

Nimh wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 15:19:
Intel gets to nerf older CPU's up to 30%.. I wonder how much they paid Google (exploit founder) and Microsoft (exploit patcher) for that honor? All of this after everyone shrugged off the "Windows 10 will not support older CPU's" crap from last year.

I bet this is just the beginning of 'security patches' with side effects intended to kill off older product lines. Dovetails nicely with Apple's 10.2.1 cpu throttling.

Uh, a Phenom II on windows XP is affected as well? So what is your point here? In fact all CPU's are affected by the speed reduction from the patches. Even the ones not affected by the 2 bugs (which is NONE) AMD cpu's are always affected by at least 1 bug, Intel by both, completely, ARM by both, completely.

Now if you think this is over think again, any connected device ever made has an ARM cpu that is now easily haxable. And you won't get fancy updates for your intelligent toothbrush et. al.

Any CPU, from all makes, produced since 2005 is affected. And this isn't a bug, this is literally a performance feature gone bad. And they all use them. AMD with their latest server CPU's is even affected by both bugs as well. Because that is a needed feature to catch up to Intels superior IPC

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2018, 11:03 eRe4s3r

Here is a benchmark for a SSD /latency especially\ which no other site posted yet. Seems not to affect it after all.... and yes, a 4ms variance is expected in that benchmark. I run this benchmark with at least 1 cpu core at 100% in order to get maximum boost clocks. NVME SSD benchmarks are, because they run through PCI-E, obviously affected by boost clocks so there can be a mhz variance due to thread swapping by W10 induced. This is something a lot of SSD benchmarkers don't know (or care) about. IOP performance in NVME's is affected by boost clocks

https://imgur.com/a/ZOyEN (it's an image album..)

Gotta admit though, that my CB benchs went down a notch... sigh.

But doesn't seem to to cause major issues, least on my NVME setup

That said, the one game where I noticed a HUGE fps hit (nearly 8fps average) is AC:O
Overall, the update added 2ms latency to my SSD read times... 2ms ! I want my money back

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2018, 11:15.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Further Analyzing The Intel CPU Jan 4, 2018, 10:13 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 21:17:
"*Further Analyzing The Intel CPU "x86 PTI Issue" On More Systems - Phoronix.*"

A storm in a teacup for "regular" users :
Link

Can not confirm that...
This patch drops my SSD access time from
0.059ms read and 0.025ms write
to
0.172ms read and 0.121ms write !!!!

As you can tell, that is extreme (it's a Samsung 960 nvme on latest Intel platform with a I5 8400

I tried that even 3 times because this huge drop made no sense to me (took some time, stupid update takes forever to uninstall and reinstall) to confirm. Each time my SSD benchmark dropped dastically. Not read and write values as much, but latency, the thing that matters most.

Equally it drops my Cinebench score by 7%

You can guess what I did to this retarded update. The latency thing can be felt extremely when starting games. Warhammer 2 loading from menu into campaign save (Turn 160) -> 25 seconds after patch same save, 39s

No thanks. I rather take my chances than this garbage patchwork.

Btw: I am not even convinced this particular bugfix causes this, I noticed some strange RTC behavior in Windows 10 with that new update.
I think these benchmarks should look at application start times, because this new update impacted them heavily for me.

Edit: Mhh, I am downloading latest SSD benchmark and retry that.
Turns out the reason nobody noticed this is that CrystalDiskMark does not check for access per syscall latency at all.

Further test: Turns out read/write IOPS only drop by 3% for me, but latency drops hugely and this impacts any workload that has a ton of IO calls across the board. Database, file-searches, everything that matters to me ;(

Am I really such an odd use-case? Why does nobody actually test latency since the PTI bugfix is supposed to add LATENCY TO SYSCALLS, why are they all only testing IOPS in queued read/writes?

EDIT 2: Woah, I just uninstalled the update, made sure files were gone, reinstalled, and now I can't find this latency drop again at all... uh

Here, no perf drop after all, RTC timer issue caused my benchmark to go haywire
https://imgur.com/a/ZOyEN

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2018, 11:00.

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 4, 2018, 05:05 eRe4s3r

William Rubin wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 17:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 21:21:
This issue isn't exploitable over the web anyhow.

Probably/possibly not true. Proof of Concept code, written in JavaScript, may exist, from the same people who discovered the bug.

https://nixcraft.tumblr.com/post/169209890277/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table

Google does not say either But if what google says is true, all exploit paths are already patched. With todays windows update in windows, and for any other exploits browsers (if applicable) have patched too.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2018, 04:59 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:29:
AMD stock is up $1.50, iNtel is down $2.

Which makes no sense, since Intel is not the only one affected by Spectre.... it's literally all cpu makers. Including, yes, AMD. And the fix will cost them the same performance.

News Comments > Steam Award Winners
5. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 4, 2018, 01:11 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 00:58:
Some of these winners make no sense to me...

50% chinese steam users.

11. Re: Apple Acquiring Netflix Speculation Heats Up. Jan 4, 2018, 00:21 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 18:23:
I am not a huge fan of Apple (I actively avoid Apple products as a rule) but if turns out to be true I don't think there would be a huge change in Netflix. A company with the huge bank account that Apple has might even be able to ensure better streaming choices down the road, which would be great.

Yeah, but only for the 1 ISP that has exclusive streaming rights. Apple is not above doing stuff like this.

News Comments > Steam Award Winners
3. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 4, 2018, 00:12 eRe4s3r

Cuphead has best soundtrack, over Nier and Transistor?

Yeah, right.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 12:13 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:53:
I've had good to excellent kickstarter experiences with board games. The only video games I've kickstarted that I had a good experience with is the Shadowrun/Battletech games from Harebrained.

Meh, I backed D:OS 1 and D:OS 2 and obviously those are fantastic games

Backed quite a few games with huge delays as well.... Bloodstained

.... which is still MIA

8. Re: Apple Acquiring Netflix Speculation Heats Up. Jan 3, 2018, 11:59 eRe4s3r

MeanJim wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 20:26:
I really hope this isn't going to happen. I would have to cancel my subscription, I don't want anything to do with Apple.

Same here. And my subscription only even started 1th of this year ~.~ Happy with what Netflix DE has nowadays, but if they sell to Apple they can say goodbye to me. I own nothing from Apple, and I intent on keeping it that way.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Zoo Theory Jan 3, 2018, 10:28 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 07:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 01:45:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 22:16:
I wouldn't care to say you are right or wrong eRe4s3r. However, if there are highly advanced, interstellar societies, it is possible they might be essentially run by AIs, similar to the way "Minds" basically run Iain Banks' fictional "Culture". Those AIs could make it very difficult to interfere with other societies by making effectively impossible to get there, since interstellar ships could/would all be controlled by AIs.

Just a possibility with no more evidentiary support than any other -- and admittedly probably an overly optimistic one.

That would be far scarier than being in a zoo
Yeah, well -- that is one of the criticisms of Banks' novels -- the Minds are too "good" or "nice". As presented their control is very benevolent, it seems unlikely we could get that lucky.

Well I have of course read Banks And god-like AGI's like that are imo the only way we will not wipe ourselves out through some stupid nonsense in the future. And at that point we are basically living in our own utopian zoo. Not a bad choice all things considered.

27. Re: Zoo Theory Jan 3, 2018, 05:44 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 01:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 21:54:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 13:57:
*snip*

The problem with that theory is that it makes no sense. An alien society with technology above ours faces very real ethical questions to stop deaths sicknesses and wars, give us fusion power at least, stop us from killing the planet etc. Interference vs no interference isn't something you can decide on a whim. Imagine if we faced this proposition and you know what we would do, we would interfere. Star Trek prime directive is a big amount of useless text in the face of suffering and empathy.

It's misguided to assume an alien culture shares our values. Who knows what they are thinking. They could be completely agnostic, for example. Do you pay attention to the ants in your yard when you fix the fence?

It's not about sharing values though it'd be nice if they did, it's about the fact that no species behaves 100% monolithic so non-interference would never be the 100% agreed upon opinion. Unless they are an advanced AI or entirely digital, but then a zoo theory makes even less sense, they'd try to integrate us into a digital world. And ants are also very different among their species lines, but ants don't build space-ships Neither does any other living thing on this planet aside from us. Any advanced species would definitely regard space-ships as a sign of high intelligence.... if they got their own space-ships their society must contain scientists and curious individuals after all, and curiosity will never stop at a "you may not pass" sign.

Basically, you can't beat the Fermi Paradox, the most likely scenario (currently) is that we are indeed the only intelligent sentient life-form that is space-faring in our galaxy and any alien life we may ever come across is probably the kind we uplift from slightly lesser species or create ourselves through various factors.

Again, i'd advise you to read up on futurism and the fermi paradox. The read is heavily depressing if you believe in encountering aliens anytime in the next million years. Btw. Being the only one around that is sentient does not mean that we are unique as sentient beings, only that we have a unique time-slot all for us

Note: This does not mean there is no sentient life in this galaxy, just that it didn't get to the evolutionary level needed for advanced technologies either because of habitat (ocean dwellers are the losers in this, no advanced chemistry in water possible) etc.

26. Re: Zoo Theory Jan 3, 2018, 01:45 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 22:16:
I wouldn't care to say you are right or wrong eRe4s3r. However, if there are highly advanced, interstellar societies, it is possible they might be essentially run by AIs, similar to the way "Minds" basically run Iain Banks' fictional "Culture". Those AIs could make it very difficult to interfere with other societies by making effectively impossible to get there, since interstellar ships could/would all be controlled by AIs.

Just a possibility with no more evidentiary support than any other -- and admittedly probably an overly optimistic one.

That would be far scarier than being in a zoo

23. Re: Zoo Theory Jan 2, 2018, 21:54 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 13:57:
*snip*

The problem with that theory is that it makes no sense. An alien society with technology above ours faces very real ethical questions to stop deaths sicknesses and wars, give us fusion power at least, stop us from killing the planet etc. Interference vs no interference isn't something you can decide on a whim. Imagine if we faced this proposition and you know what we would do, we would interfere. Star Trek prime directive is a big amount of useless text in the face of suffering and empathy.

But more importantly, no alien species could have detected us beyond a distance that we can very easily detect anything in. And it'd be a pretty far stretch to assume that they park not 1 space dreadnought with cloaking but a few million of them with crew or advanced AI (wouldn't that be scary) in order to make sure nothing interferes.

As I said, this theory isn't new. The big counter to it is that it assumes monolithic behavior of an entire alien society, and that it all converges on non-interference, which makes even less sense, You'd ALWAYS have outliers and malcontents with that guideline. They would need to enforce this hard, with military fleets numbering billions, sensors in the trillions and FTL. And the last one is really the killer argument ;p Unless FTL exists zoo theory can not. If FTL exists, that alien species would be sprawling trillion trillion planet empire with hundreds of colonized galaxies. And the zoo theory becomes even more moot then.

Caveat: They could choose to be a be sprawling empire in 1 solar system, with space habitats and proto dyson swarms. But that would mean no FTL exists. And if no FTL exists, they couldn't have detected us.

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 21:29 eRe4s3r

ItBurn wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 11:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 10:13:
Notepad++ is best notepad

Nope, I prefer UltraEdit. Notepad++'s search is a nightmare.

Because it adds line numbers? It adds 1 step for a regex expression to clean it up, sure, but I accept that for a VASTLY superior replace function that supports regex.

Either way, whatever floats your boat They are all vastly superior to notepad and wordpad.

Notepad++ does have all I need, which is basically regex replace that works across files and a side-by-side mirroring of files with changes highlighted. And for those purposes, line numbers are kinda relevant And of course, syntax highlighting with relative references. Saves you a ton of typing

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 21:21 eRe4s3r

MeanJim wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 20:38:
I suppose a recall is out of the question due to the number of processors affected, many of which aren't even in production anymore.

Well, I think it would not just be out of the question, it would literally be impossible to recall 2+ billion cpu and replace them.

Better solution, fix the security issue and disable the fix when a game runs or give user white-listing abilities. 23% performance reduction would definitely make me NOT apply that update. This issue isn't exploitable over the web anyhow. Hax needs full access to your rig, so sandbox and no problem. Although.. I think this issue could actually make sandboxes leak... now wouldn't that be something.

But until we can read what is actually patched we dunno really

12298 Comments. 615 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo