Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11415 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 17, 2017, 14:47 eRe4s3r

This AMD reveal explains why fabs now plan to run GDDR6 .. HBM2 offers no benefits in bandwidth and nobody builds 8-Hi HBM2 modules. This is gonna be one of those high-end enthusiast cards. With no 8-Hi HBM2 (2x less modules for 16GB VRAM) the cost will be also be quite impressive.

Ps.: threadripper is gonna be a massive oversized thing
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/05/epyc_amd.jpg

Now that CPU is impressive ;p And why not, attack Intel where it hurts, in their insanely overpriced multi-core and data center segment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Trading Card Changes
3. Re: Steam Trading Card Changes May 17, 2017, 05:05 eRe4s3r

Gonna be interesting to see whether this "algo" can actually figure out what is fake and what isn't.... it sure fails to tell what *I* want to play 9 out of 10 times, so how good can it be at other things?  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 03:00 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on May 17, 2017, 02:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 17, 2017, 02:19:
So there is no real benefit to even enable family sharing....

It lets you share games in your library without giving the other person full access to your account, especially if you saved your payment information.

Ah... yeah that would the primary reason to use it. But it doesn't exactly give you any more freedom with your library. You still stuck to -1- played game on your account at any one time ;/

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 02:19 eRe4s3r

goatman wrote on May 16, 2017, 23:04:
As to the comment about having to buy multiple games for your household: Anytime I've had an online game I needed a second copy to be online at the same time on that game(Doom and Quake the exceptions). I recall any thing from ID Quake II range and on used punkbuster and did not allow same CDs keys at the same time. I had 2 soldier of fortune games for my nephew to join me online. Single player non-connected games were a different story.

Yeah, but family sharing kicks you out of ANY steam game that you play when another sharing PC starts ANY steam game on their end. It's the same functionality that you have when you don't enable family sharing (I can't actually tell any real difference) and just share 1 account login within your home network.

So there is no real benefit to even enable family sharing.... apart from some games that can flat out block it

If you have 2 PC's you can easily test it if you don't believe me, any 2 games will cause a drop. You have only the right to play 1 game at a time with your steam account, family sharing or not.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2017, 21:49 eRe4s3r

noman wrote on May 16, 2017, 20:35:
Steam is one of the worst DRM platforms in terms of the flexibility you are given to use/lend/return the game that you have purchased. Even sharing a game between family members within the same household is done in an idiotic way, where the entire library is locked when shared, rather than the specific game, making the whole concept useless.

Something I discovered too, you'd think for Steam it would be apparent that when 2 PC's in the same network start steam, they are family PC's and thus starting a game on 1 shouldn't throw the OTHER PC out of the running game. The entire concept is broken beyond repair ~.~ Since when did I only buy the right to play 1 game at a time? Yeah, since never, and steam doesn't even mention this. You have to discover this "neat" feature yourself.

News Comments > Free Phantom Dust for Win10
2. Re: Free Phantom Dust for Win10 May 16, 2017, 21:43 eRe4s3r

While housekeeping my family W10 install for creators update I noticed.. it has the same god damn broken windows update "service freezes up, uses 1 core entirely" issue that plagued all other Windows versions... great. Had to actually use wsusoffline to patch Windows 10 ... feel like back in W7 times already

I thought they fixed this issue, but apparently not.

Good news, after doing wsus offline updates to patch up to the creators update, it now actually downloaded everything properly. But it still baffles me that this issue known since XP has not been fixed in W10.. that's just insane.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
2. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 16, 2017, 20:33 eRe4s3r

I have it and it doesn't even start after the expansion release. so yeah.

Good to see Ubisoft has creativity in abundance though! So many unique and never before seen game ideas... blergh.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 16, 2017, 19:45 eRe4s3r

Dacote wrote on May 16, 2017, 12:34:
What does that mean for other sports. Because I don't play basketball, baseball, football, curling, nascar, cricket, hockey, cycling, soccer, badminton, rugby or golf.
And when I click on one by accident which is 42% of the time at least 70% of the time I change the channel.

Except in the gaming industry, you have basically a new "sport" variation coming into mix every few months as well, and this obviously means only the "big" sports gain any financial traction beyond their release income. Games made for e-sport that tank on sales, have basically no future. The market is already saturated.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 16, 2017, 19:36 eRe4s3r

From that SAG article
video games are the only major industry sector that doesn’t pay residuals

Which is of course total bullshit, however is is true for the entertainment industry. And what they signed is a fair deal, 500k sold = 1 extra full day wage as residual and so on, in 500k (full price) sales steps.

That's a lot less insane than what they put in their demands first. Can't see EA signing that though, they'd have what, 500 voice actors for all the various languages? That'd become really expensive really fast.

But I wouldn't mind such a deal to become the norm for all employees. Just remember, Dawn of War 3 for example did not sell more than 200k copies.....

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2017, 18:07 eRe4s3r

That is an exceptionally interesting article about Ryzen..... and makes me wonder even more what this CPU is supposed to be. An Upgrade trap? Any fixes to this will require a new mainboard and CPU... most certainly, as the new RAM (DDR5) and it's immense latency benefits can not ever be supported on current Ryzen Mainboards or with current Ryzen CPUs

And obviously the platform improvements are irrelevant when engines don't adapt, stuff will always work faster with lower latency:throughput ratios without adaption, meaning older games will run faster, at higher resolutions.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 16, 2017, 00:41 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on May 15, 2017, 21:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2017, 18:07:
The joke is had you actually thought about it for a second you'd have come up with a far cheaper and faster solution that even stupid end users can use, external HDD. (Although some of em might already get confused with more than 1 available drive letter....)

Yeah, except for convenience's sake, everyone leaves that connected, so the encryptor would have just encrypted that as well.

Ps.: your solution would actually be more expensive than just paying the trojan bitcoin fee. (Which I actually find exceptionally low....)

That's assuming that they will actually bother to unlock your files for you. Some do, some don't. Some unlock it, you think you're safe, and then ten days later the encryption comes back, and they demand another fee.

Never pay. If nobody ever paid the fucking fee, this ransomware bullshit would long have since ceased being an issue.

Surprisingly people who ever in their life got his by this will ALWAYS disconnect external drives, I've managed to make that a thing within my extended "family" support circle.

But yeah, paying is obviously a last option, but if it encrypted some documents you REALLY need and can't get any other way you are gonna pay $300 without blinking. As I said, this Trojan has an exceptionally low decryption price imo. It only even got so high as it is right now because the bitcoin value jumped up immensely when it hit (guess why)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 15, 2017, 20:02 eRe4s3r

Penisteeth wrote on May 15, 2017, 18:37:
Gadzooks wrote on May 15, 2017, 13:06:
Ive had my eye on this game for awhile ... and this marketing move is enough to make me not give the devs my money.

If you haven't given them your money at this point...what exactly were you waiting on?

PvE obviously

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 18:07 eRe4s3r

Ozmodan wrote on May 15, 2017, 14:32:
The only thing wrong with windows XP are the dumbasses still running it. I have had several calls from people who got this ransomeware and all of them were running XP. I tell all of them to at least get Windows 7 and if their computer cannot support it, get a new one.

Most of the concern was pictures they had on their computer. There are so many cloud storage options out there, including sites like Shutterfly who do not charge for storage that I just do not feel sorry for them.

You wanna move 70gb of pictures, often imaged in RAW and at absurd resolutions to cloud storage? I think you never experienced the true horror of a family support call. Half of em don't even know what a resolution is. Heck most of em don't even know where their photos ARE.

The joke is had you actually thought about it for a second you'd have come up with a far cheaper and faster solution that even stupid end users can use, external HDD. (Although some of em might already get confused with more than 1 available drive letter....)

Ps.: your solution would actually be more expensive than just paying the trojan bitcoin fee. (Which I actually find exceptionally low....)

News Comments > Production Line Video Diary
1. Re: Production Line Video Diary May 15, 2017, 17:10 eRe4s3r

The art-style and limited factory space really doesn't do it for me after Factorio... why make realistic cars if you got no licenses anyway? Why not fantasy, sci-fi cars?

And I hope the factories are self-containend, so that we can have more than 1....

But even then, gonna need a demo

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance May 13, 2017, 14:50 eRe4s3r

Killswitch doesn't work for machines behind proxy

Edit: new trojan doesn't have it either, so it's back ;p

This comment was edited on May 13, 2017, 17:11.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
11. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 13, 2017, 14:13 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on May 13, 2017, 11:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2017, 10:51:
Btw, speaking of last W7 com update, for me that broke Origin. Have to run Origin in Windows 7 compat mode on the exe (yeah, ON Windows 7) just crazy. But I guess things can get broken by updates. But as IT admin your job is to verify and make sure patches are applied if not through patching, then through other mitigations until you can patch.

Btw, Origin fixed that within 3 hours ^^
That's funny.
I looked here and did not glean much. https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Store:Origin

The issue is listed there. Origin will start, say "no internet connection detected" after the update completes and just close. Failing the update. The last update Origin released fixed this issue for me, but it failed to install. And btw, there are no official change-logs for Origin updates...

You could see a few of these cases pop up on reddit yesterday. Anyhow, today it worked fine. But whether it was Origin or my OS I dunno.

9. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 13, 2017, 10:51 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on May 13, 2017, 10:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2017, 10:11:
I just want to say, I want to personally meet the IT admin who failed to verify the patch dependencies over 2 fucking months for a level 5 critical rated mass-automated-exploit LEAKED FROM THE FUCKING NSA, aka a BACKDOOR vuln., that was known, fixed and reported about thousand of times starting 15th March

Imo the companies and places affected got what they deserved, this might be the only time where victim blaming should be done and done so hard that the companies never forget it.

I hope you like meeting lots of people because it was just not one admin and it would still be spreading if the sleuths had not got lucky.
The number of infections seems to be slowing after a "kill switch" appears to have been accidentally triggered by a UK-based cyber-security researcher tweeting as @MalwareTechBlog.
He was quoted as saying he noticed the web address the virus was searching for had not been registered - and when he registered it, the virus appeared to stop spreading.
But he warned this was a temporary fix, and urged computers users to "patch your systems ASAP".
from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39901382

Microsoft even released patches for Windows XP, 2003 and 8
If Windows Update was not such a shitty way to perform updates and did not require every sys admin to verify that the systems they maintain would work after patching than this would not be an issue.

I wouldn't mind meeting all of them as I doubt any of them are to blame, it's likely management personal or CEO directly responsible. Imo they should be held accountable... but yeah, fat chance of that ever happening.

Btw, speaking of last W7 com update, for me that broke Origin. Have to run Origin in Windows 7 compat mode on the exe (yeah, ON Windows 7) just crazy. But I guess things can get broken by updates. But as IT admin your job is to verify and make sure patches are applied if not through patching, then through other mitigations until you can patch.

Btw, Origin fixed that within 3 hours ^^

7. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 13, 2017, 10:11 eRe4s3r

I just want to say, I want to personally meet the IT admin who failed to verify the patch dependencies over 2 fucking months for a level 5 critical rated mass-automated-exploit LEAKED FROM THE FUCKING NSA, aka a BACKDOOR vuln., that was known, fixed and reported about thousand of times starting 15th March

Imo the companies and places affected got what they deserved, this might be the only time where victim blaming should be done and done so hard that the companies never forget it.

News Comments > Alan Wake Sunset Sale
8. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 12, 2017, 23:28 eRe4s3r

Would make it a 2€ sale.. wow. Can't skip it for that  

News Comments > Surviving Mars Announced
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 22:29 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on May 12, 2017, 20:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 12, 2017, 17:32:
RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2017, 16:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 12, 2017, 16:48:
While we are on about debunking movies and depictions of Mars, let's start with Life on Mars and the intro storm that triggered it all, well, it was complete non-scientific BS. (surprise surprise)
NASA: Fact and fiction of martian dust storms

TL;DR -> The winds in the strongest Martian storms top out at about 60 miles per hour, and at 10% atmospheric density that means you literally couldn't even feel it inside anything that is made of any kind of solid material. A rocket lander can't be toppled by dust storms on Mars. The worst it might do is put a bit of sand on your solar panels.

And by the way, that sand? It's sticky as hell, it sticks to literally everything and maybe worse, it carries a static charge like nothing else. This is why you REALLY need to put your solar panels underneath domes too. Wind Power is completely out of consideration. The atmosphere is so thin (see above wind speeds -> 10% of earth) that you can't generate any worthwhile power.
Who cleans the domes, i see a future for the mafia yet.
Fake news Movies are fake, sad.
We gotta debunk fictional flicks now?.

Yeah, yeah we really do

Tons of people got really wrong ideas and conceptions about Mars (Starts with "Red planet" and ends with sand). And that movie in particular is the primary recent culprit. The way dusty sand behaves on Mars is so alien to our conceptions about dust that it needs to be hammered in again and again. Don't think of dust on Mars or even the Moon like sand on a beach. This stuff is like abrasive glue from hell. On the Moon, you have the added benefit of no wind, and believe me when I say, no wind + abrasive glue from hell is a lot better than abrasive glue from hell that flies around everywhere. On Mars, you got plenty of mild wind, and that makes Mars 1000000x worse for big unshielded domes When I say domes for solar panels, I really mean you need to fortify them in a sealed bunker during a dust storm. If you get that dust on them then every time you clean it you lose efficiency. Even a see-through dome would eventually become opaque.

The joke is, so far we haven't had any realistic mars colony sim AT ALL. They all got Mars wrong more or less, mostly more.

So, um, when are you scheduled to go back? Or did they 'lay' a super fast fiber optic pipeline across five Lagrange points between here and Mars that I didn't know about?

=-Rigs-=

Hehe, Sadly all of this you can learn from NASA websites and KSP science forum topics (Elon Musk presented his "Mars Project" a while back and there were lots of in depth discussions about it there) ^^ And Nasa has some really interesting in-depth analysis on how viable colonies are on Mars.

And they made some interesting maps, like this one here -> https://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/Mars_radiation.jpg

Or something like this ->
they advocate creating a dedicated radiation shelter (located in a hollow water tank) inside their Mars Transit Habitat

Plans for a Mars colony are surprisingly far, the only problem is that all colony plans depend on robots building the colony first. You can't get there and not have properly radiation shielded buildings awaiting you. And last I heard sintering wasn't useful for that.

That said, SOME scientists think that solar power on Mars would be fine assuming you avoid sandstorms and bring a brush*
https://www.universetoday.com/21293/despite-dust-storms-solar-power-is-best-for-mars-colonies/

Although you'd have to lug tons of batteries with you too, and you can't repair nor replace them easily...

This comment was edited on May 12, 2017, 22:43.

11415 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo