Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11208 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
40. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 12, 2017, 00:35 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 12:46:
So GMG has a pretty good 20% off deal, but say the release date is Thursday the 23rd? It's coming out on the 21st, isn't it?

no, it's coming out on the 23rd according to Origin. I think you can somehow buy yourself earlier in on the console.. but I have no clue about that. Anyway, got it pre-ordered for 44€ as well, pretty good deal indeed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 11, 2017, 11:06 eRe4s3r

Dacote wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 08:46:
Title says Microsoft Windows bug.
Article says Microsoft is working on a fix for Windows.
2 posters mention HT issues have happened before with both AMD and Intel involving Microsoft.

Yet the lynch mob wants to storm AMD.

Well you would think Q&A would have found and fixed such issues before release, but far more interesting is that Ryzen or the Mainboards or Windows have a really wonky RTC bug (Ryzen sleep bug if you are curious) when you return your OS from sleep, timers slow down breaking literally everything in the OS, and fudging benchmark numbers to boot (since timer is slower = less time passed = higher numbers). If you return your OS from sleep and you notice weird happenings (like clock being totally wonky, video stuttering and encryption failing) then you know are affected..

We can thank MS for that one as well... RTC = real time clock

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2017, 11:18.

15. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2017, 23:29 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 21:13:
SHE.... JUST.... WON'T... QUIT....SMILING!

SPACE......DRUGS....OR...BUST!

On the other hand, if ye google who VA's her you will definitely stop smiling.

13. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2017, 23:19 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 21:53:
Ya know there is this show... called Firefly....

Not even half as good as The Expanse... but Cowboy Bebop on the other hand. Ye can't really beat Cowboy Bebop.

And to be honest, watching that Expanse season 2 up to EP7 binge really made me want to play Nier:A and Mass Effect:A ;p (weird..)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 10, 2017, 23:02 eRe4s3r

Wow, this is the first time every single link in this category was rage inducing in its scope, disregard of human rights, and lack of sanity.

Do you want such shining paragons of IT security like Yahoo to hack "back" ? Can you imagine how that would turn our internet security to shit?

Do you want such shining paragons of worker rights like Yahoo to own your genetic data, or the US gov for that matter?

Do you want such shining paragons of jurisdiction like this judge to define what a reasonable time in jail is? How about we put him in jail and test that? Actually let's trump up some false charges of sexual abuse of minors and pwn him for a weeks (actual case!) and see how reasonable he finds that happens to him because of a "clerical error" or translation = shitty software

It's just shit all the way down.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 10, 2017, 20:50 eRe4s3r

I am taking bets that the next patch Tuesday (the 14th this month) is gonna be an epic adventure worthy of popcorn.  

News Comments > More Steam Review Changes
5. Re: More Steam Review Changes Mar 10, 2017, 18:18 eRe4s3r

So KS projects can no longer be reviewed by KS backers? Or does steam differentiate between that?  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
47. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 10, 2017, 08:48 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 08:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 05:26:
Lord Tea wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 02:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 17:16:
And with that, VEGA is looking pretty dead. Those benches look pretty mind-blowing, first 4k able GPU, but still a genereation away from driving 4K ultra settings, and 2 generations at least, for VR at 4K .. sigh.

I take it you've some insight on VEGA's performance. Please enlighten us.

Take it as wild conjecture..

But why else would it beat a Titan XP in some benches and come out this soon (10 months!) after the 1080 and 1070 trounced anything ATI made? Don't you think Nvidia is making sure it has the performance lead way ahead before Vega is even shown, in order to take any potential wind out of ATI's sails PR wise? Kinda hard to announce a GPU when you are beat in all benchmarks before it releases.. is what I think Nvidia thinks.

You keep saying ATI. I don't think you realize that ATI is dead. That name is from a time when the company was competitive. Since AMD, there has been nothing really of note out of the red camp for anyone concerned with the high end. Green has been the only option.

If you refuse to refer to the company as "AMD" out of some indignant sense of stubborn righteousness, I think you're doing more to insult the brand's legacy than to honor it. AMD is not worthy of the name ATI.

Mainly just say it to differentiate between the GPU and CPU dev branch inside the company But you are right.. should probably call them AMD... sigh... but yeah, it is some weird form of stubborn remembrance.

News Comments > P.A.M.E.L.A. Early Access
5. Re: P.A.M.E.L.A. Early Access Mar 10, 2017, 08:40 eRe4s3r

MacLeod wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 08:39:
The Afflicted, the maligned citizens of Eden driven mad by a horrific biological outbreak, stalk the vibrant streets and architecture of the game’s future idyll

Yea... I'm not sure that falls under the definition of "things in a utopia".

Zombies are definitely preferable to normal humans though

43. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 10, 2017, 07:45 eRe4s3r

Lord Tea wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 06:27:
The only thing we (or NV) knows about VEGA performance is rumors.

I was somewhat surprised about how "low" NV set the price for the 1080 Ti*. On 2nd thought it's quite obvious that this is all about profit maximization and NOT competition.

With their Titan line of products, released right between "regular new generation" and "Ti" NV caters to the very high end crowd. Essentially, they can ask whatever price they want. To keep the cash train from slowing the Ti is released, at the same time they lower prices for 1070/1080. Titan performance is delivered for much less $ to another select crowd of buyers (e.g. those who own a 980 Ti, who said the gap to a 1080 isn't worth upgrading and also said the Titan is too expensive).

Without competition (and there is none) this business model is extremely powerful. It's also reflected in NV's stock.

*For the record, I'd never pay $699 for a video card. I don't think VEGA is as dead as some might think. Yes, it's delayed and there's a good chance it might be slower than NV's high end stuff. But it will be cheaper and still be a very decent performer.

I see, well here is hope that we will get some competition... but the rumors that came from HBM2 production front this year were not good. As in, only 2 DRAM makers are even producing it. And this probably means high prices.

Btw, there has been a production benchmark found that puts the Vega -> 8GB HBM2 (at mem 1600mhz) at 1080 level... unoptimized, that is. So I think my guess that NVIDIA is pushing ahead here to kill any possible PR advantage are not totally unfunded....

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
7. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 10, 2017, 07:15 eRe4s3r

Wow I completely forgot this.. was still in development. Starting to feel that way for a lot of KS projects though... like Star Citizen and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Promised to myself not to back anything until these things finish, taking 3 or more years is kinda insane though.... (Bloodstained 2018...) Star Citizen = Yeah, where is that SQ42 EP 1 release?

Meh

41. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 10, 2017, 05:26 eRe4s3r

Lord Tea wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 02:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 17:16:
And with that, VEGA is looking pretty dead. Those benches look pretty mind-blowing, first 4k able GPU, but still a genereation away from driving 4K ultra settings, and 2 generations at least, for VR at 4K .. sigh.

I take it you've some insight on VEGA's performance. Please enlighten us.

Take it as wild conjecture..

But why else would it beat a Titan XP in some benches and come out this soon (10 months!) after the 1080 and 1070 trounced anything ATI made? Don't you think Nvidia is making sure it has the performance lead way ahead before Vega is even shown, in order to take any potential wind out of ATI's sails PR wise? Kinda hard to announce a GPU when you are beat in all benchmarks before it releases.. is what I think Nvidia thinks.

News Comments > Morning Patches
5. Re: Morning Patches Mar 9, 2017, 18:32 eRe4s3r

Big problem with that update is that it adds more stuff, but it adds no reason to do anything of it and no more assets are added into the seeding mechanism of the procedural planets either. So if you've seen planets before while playing, you have seen them literally all.

Just can't see where the draw of that is.

News Comments > Overwatch Custom Game Exploit Warning
5. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 9, 2017, 17:58 eRe4s3r

Shok wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 17:17:
They are too cheap to spend money on instant gratification loot boxes or they are children with no money. I suspect the later...

But when it comes down to it, the only one hurt here is Blizzards greed.... by making loot boxes so absurdly random they basically set themselves up for this. And aside, I would never play this game for XP only, the most fun I had in this game was when the competitive aspect was removed in that survival zombie attack game mode.. you still earned XP there though, but I play to have fun, not to gain skins for characters I don't use.

31. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 17:16 eRe4s3r

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 8, 2017, 20:47 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 18:09:
LittleMe wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 20:39:
So AMD did nothing to support Win7 on Ryzen? Aren't there hundreds of millions of Win7 users? Stinks of control grid. Reports are the new Intel chips/boards work better on W7.

I don't know if Intel's does, but Ryzen sees up to a 26% boost on minimum fps on windows 7's scheduler compared to windows 10, which is massive, as well as an 8% boost on average fps.

Source

Need I remind everyone here that all Ryzen reviews have been conducted on Windows 10 and been plagued with this scheduler bug?

Just as a FYI, Q6600 had the exact same problems on Windows XP. So even INTEL knows about CCX issues

I am not convinced it's just as simple as 4 vs 4 core/thread/CCX matching by the way.. I've seen benches where the best performance is achieved by having 2 active (full load) cores in each CCX, which would indicate another huge problem, a CPU problem. 4 core performance when it's 2+2 (2 active in each CCX) is higher than 4+0 (4 active in 1 CCX)

Strange...

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 8, 2017, 15:19 eRe4s3r

So China is basically punishing SK for things China itself caused by supporting NK ?

Shouldn't China ban itself, since it is the reason NK can even launch missiles?

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
19. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 17:29 eRe4s3r

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 16:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:04:
So is this basically Just Cause 3 with worse controls?

i still dont get this comparison.. did you never use the grappling hook, parachute and wingsuit?? to me, that is the whole point of JC3, its 90% of the game - and none of that is in this game... except parachuting from a copter, but its far more like BF than JC because you dont even have anywhere close to the same manueverability

also there is no destructible environments and hundreds of giant gas tanks that explode into massive fireballs and send physics debris in every direction causing a chain reaction

so no, its not "basically Just Cause 3" at all.. its not even fucking close unless the only thing you are going by is "its 3rd person perspective and has guns!!", and thats just fucking retarded

the whole concept is nothing like it at all.. one is a psuedo-tactical stealth game, one is over the top comedy action

You really don't get why people compare this to JC and MGS:V ? Gee, I dunno, maybe because of open world sandbox, base conquest, missions targets that you have "eliminate" however you want? Missions that you can approach however you want? "freeing" areas by capturing bases (MGS:V had this not at all, but if you destroyed the HQ and coms in the area things get a lot more relaxed in the open world....) and most importantly, vehicles you can control when and how you want?

So how is this concept "nothing at all like it" ? Isn't it open world do what you want how you want blow shit up and kill all red stuff sandbox? Then you may wanna tell that to Twitch streamers...

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
16. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 16:10 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:04:
So is this basically Just Cause 3 with worse controls?

No, how about all your nay Sayers play the game first before bashing the game. You all are talking out of your asses without any play time. Seriously!!

You missed your pills today? I looked up a quick twitch stream, it looked like a shittier Just Cause 3, and shittier controls because I Saw in-door combat.. hahaha, or what passes as that with the dumb as bricks AI. That is all I meant with that. You saying you don't see the similarities?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 15:46 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:01:
To be honest after seeing and reading all the updated reviews, I am even more undecided on AMD vs INTEL now. I game on my gaming rig but I also have huge storage requirements, and when the performance equalizes on 4k in benches then that means once this GPU limit is broken by new GPU's, the AMD cpu will be much slower than a 7700K both in DX9 and DX12, so wtf is this telling me about future proofing? Top end mobos have 4 sata ports and 1 m2 port. I have already everything used of that (except M2) so I'd hit the platform use ceiling even before I upgrade anything else in my system.

When I buy a Ryzen 6 or 8 core now, will I end up with a CPU that in 2 years is vastly pwned by Intel 4/6/8 cores like it was back in I7 release days?

Is intel coming with 6 cores on 7700K IPC levels? Will they fit the old platforms or require a new one?

Doubtfull, as the from the ground up, brand new zen architecture matures, developers get acquainted with it, tweak compilers for better performance. As the limits of miniaturization continue to be felt more and more strongly. As AMD ramps up the clocks on Zen in Zen2-3. As mobo manufacturers, AMD and developers/MS sort out the kinks. As developers learn to leverage more than 8 threads, like the Assasin's Creed Syndicate 12 threads usage. The performance gap in games in CPU limited scenarios is going to close significantly. I don't see productivity numbers moving much tho, not that they need to mind you.

Altho I don't recommend jumping on the first gen just yet, and certainly not on the R7 for gaming. I'd wait to see how it looks on the R5-3 or even just plain wait for gen2 and see if Intel changes its 4c/8t is "all you need" for mainstream policy for Cannonlake, which is doubtfull since it has already been pretty far in development by now. There's a high probability, if not a certainty that only the kaby-E parts will be more than 4 cores and there remains to see if the 6c parts pricing will be competitive and even if it is, the platform itself is likely to be much pricier.

Next after Cannonlake, Icelake may or may not break that habit in 2018, altho I guess that Tigerlake in 2019 will most probably offer 6c in the mainstream sector.

All in all, my recommendation for now is to wait and see...

And what if I needed to build a new system (mobo/ram/CPU) right now, future proof for gaming and a bit of photoshop (ok, maybe a lot of photoshop)? This is my big conundrum. Good game performance automatically means good thread handler and memory performance (only the latter being relevant for Photoshop)

And so this creates a really shit situation right now. 7700K is just the better (and absurdly, cheaper) platform for my needs, but would a 7700K really be future proof? Alternatively when my shit explodes right now, what would you say I should get?

11208 Comments. 561 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo