Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11860 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 2, 2018, 13:44 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 10:49:
So it's going to start doing something that other software, like malwarebytes, has been doing for years.

People who become victims of these things aren't likely to know about Malwarebytes

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV Benchmark and Preorders
6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XV Benchmark and Preorders Feb 2, 2018, 13:36 eRe4s3r

MacLeod wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 12:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 10:27:
3) There is no AA WHATSOEVER as in, NONE.

I'd argue that point. I ran the test in high, normal and low quality modes, and definitely saw less jagged edges in the high and normal modes than low, indicating there was AA on (unless toggling the ANSEL mode to look around turns that off).

Yeah I dunno what they do with that AA and AO implementation, but I think it's pretty clear this is some form of TxAA and SSAO, so if you hit a freeze on the frame you can not see any AA and as soon as frame moves, AO is getting sampled by TXAA and it flickers..... but to be honest I couldn't tell if the AA was from AA or from motion blur, the game is super blurry unless you freeze frame so it could be anything.

I guess my point is I saw tons of jaggies on high 1080p windowed and flickering nightmare AO in the grass.

News Comments > Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended
17. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 12:10 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 12:06:
What does "suspended his employment" mean? Has he been fired? I imagine he will be fired as soon as he is indicted, and he might be fired even if he is not. I find it interesting in how quickly everyone cuts their ties to someone even "suspected" of commiting a crime, don't get me wrong please Im not defending child molestors or criminals but I find that "innocent until proven guilty" is just a load of bullshit when it comes to real life.

"paid leave"

Btw, thanks everyone for clarifying, so basically this news is kinda crazy.

6. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 10:40 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 10:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 10:34:
Arrested without charges?

I always thought, call me naive, that an arrest requires a warrant and a warrant requires a charge.... silly me, right?

It's a complex subject and varies from state to state but generally speaking, you can be held for up to 72 hours before prosecutors are forced to decide whether to charge/release you.

So can they release you on hour 73 and take you into custody again for 72 hours indefinitely? That seems ripe for exploitation...

4. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 10:34 eRe4s3r

Arrested without charges?

I always thought, call me naive, that an arrest requires a warrant and a warrant requires a charge.... silly me, right?

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV Benchmark and Preorders
4. Re: FINAL FANTASY XV Benchmark and Preorders Feb 2, 2018, 10:27 eRe4s3r

To be honest after using ANSEL to look around I noticed various things

1) Water shaders are completely broken (Wavy outlines around characters)
2) AO is completely broken (Hope you like AO flickering, everywhere)
3) There is no AA WHATSOEVER as in, NONE.
4) HEAVY and extremely ugly low resolution DOF effect
5) HEAVY motion blur
6) Suuuuuuper low resolution foliage textures
7) The bench is apparently running without AF because I saw mip artifacts

So basically, I think this game needs not only a driver but also FAR + Special K

Performance is surprisingly bad in Ansel. And I think the reason is the borked post AO: To be perfectly honest, I think this is one of the worst AO implementations in a game in quite a while. I have flashbacks to Deus EX HR ^^

Btw, my 1070 got 6200 points on High at 1920x1080 but.. I play on 2560x1440 so this bench makes me already kinda worry... I guess I will be disabling some things ;p

Ps.: Heavy means heavy performance impact, much more than DOF and Motion blur should have.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2018, 10:38.

News Comments > GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award
19. Re: GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award Feb 1, 2018, 22:48 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2018, 20:51:
Lastly, the award recipient himself feels this is a good thing, unequivocally.

I wonder if your morals and behaviors will be shunned or accepted in 50 years from now retrospectively..... the guy obviously did the right thing though. Because nobody with actual integrity should be tainted by a GDC award ^^

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 1, 2018, 21:55 eRe4s3r

Too bad that SC2 talk is completely and utterly unwatchable, 28 minutes of freezes for a 26 minute talk.. wow  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2018, 11:22 eRe4s3r

Pickles are supposed to be slowly cooked, which takes around 30 minutes same for the meat which you have to warm at 72°C after very very short frying them, and that right there is why I don't go to burger joints. You always get the cheapest made crap or rather the crap that they can make quickly. Yeah it may taste good, but it ain't good good.

Btw, I make my burgers with pickles, and slow cooking them is how you have to do it, doing them any other way makes for some really butt ugly pickles that taste like crap, or rather they don't taste like pickles (Which is the ONLY reason you add pickles, imo ;p)

Edit: Wonder what my spell check was doing but it didn't know slowcooking and turned into steam cooking

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 1, 2018, 11:20 eRe4s3r

For Apple not being able to read your communication and sell ad data to 3rd parties is clearly inappropriate  

News Comments > Frontier Pilot Simulator Early Access
2. Re: Frontier Pilot Simulator Early Access Jan 31, 2018, 21:57 eRe4s3r

Placeholder GUI text in a release teaser... I see they take quality control serious.  

News Comments > GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award
1. Re: GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award Jan 31, 2018, 21:34 eRe4s3r

And the absurd shitshow that is the GDC trucks on....  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 31, 2018, 20:44 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 15:42:
$11? Or $11 million? The article doesn’t actually clarify.

11 million $ of investor money, basically a scam ;p

News Comments > Your Royal Gayness Comes Out
19. Re: Your Royal Gayness Comes Out Jan 31, 2018, 09:24 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 05:14:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 18:04:
Today I fit a whole dill pickle in my mouth.

Was it... salty? And bitter?

Fun fact: If your dill pickle tastes like that you should throw it away. It's gone bad

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 31, 2018, 08:51 eRe4s3r

That's some depressingly bad performance by AMD, I never really realized how disparate these 2 companies are, but Intel is on a whole nother planet

Comparison -> Intel LINK

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 31, 2018, 08:23 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 01:13:
How the fuck are you going to keep on someone with poor work performance at such a critical job? Guy should have been shitcanned ages ago.

Critical job maybe, but look at that office and read up on what they do all day and it becomes clear nobody sane would ever CHOOSE to work there.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 31, 2018, 08:17 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 05:03:
El Pit wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 02:08:
Some of his work is outstanding like Léon: The Professional, The Big Blue, and Nikita. Most of his work is at least entertaining like The Fifth Element, Subway, and Lucy. Netflix made a good move there IF they can make him stick to a reasonable budget.

The script for Valerian was not good, but the visuals and the world building were fantastic. It was incredibly inventive.

I think one of the biggest issues of Valerian was the main cast.... both of em have the chemistry of 2 rocks floating in space.

News Comments > Anthem Delayed for New Battlefield Game in October
7. Re: Anthem Delayed for New Battlefield Game in October Jan 31, 2018, 08:14 eRe4s3r

BF1 and in good shape tells me you did not play this on PC, map design continues to be atrocious, game balance is utter shit and tanks still dominate 90% of the rounds.

BF4 is in good shape though.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning
7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 22:55 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 21:54:
Fion wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 21:21:
Not that it matters, this game is dead now. It's not even close to the top 100 played on Steam, and there are currently about 250 people watching battlefront II streams on Twitch. It's nowhere near the first page.

Apparently it sold under 2 million units, which is pathetic for a AAA multiplayer game. Sure they may get some wales spending a few thousand on these microtransactions, but they won't come close to recouping their costs.

EA can go fuck themselves. I don't even care about Anthem, let alone if it got pushed back. Bioware is dead to me.

Top 100 on steam? This isn't on Steam... only Origin. Though I'm not sure if there's a stats page for Origin.

I think he means the actual Battlefront II Not this fake new one

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
64. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 18:44 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 16:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 15:55:
Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 15:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 15:46:
Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 15:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 15:36:
Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:26:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:14:
Next up:
Gamers can get sued if spouses are watching the gameplay without having a second license for the game. Kids under the age of 5 will have to have half a license.
Dogs and cats do not require a license at this time.

But does anyone charge their spouse to watch? Many of these streamers make lots and lots of money.

Source?

Is that surprising today? PDP earns tens of millions, and started doing Let's Plays of sorts. He's the highest earner on YouTube.

Gamespot estimates all of these are making at least a million a year

Some guy named MarkPlier does Let's Plays and earns $5.5M

Pretty sure they ask before they let's play

Those guys, maybe. Others are probably earning five or six figures without doing so.

I'm not saying this one way or the other, just that it's a data point you know companies are paying attention to. If you're a dev making $90k, and you see a report that some guy is making half a million bucks playing your game online, you may be a bit peeved. But you may also think it's good in the long run.

Yeah I just don't believe that is indicative of let's players in the lower spectrum. To give you an example, with a channel producing bi-weekly videos length 10m (for 3 ad blocks) with 50-100k views you make around 443€ a month just to give an perspective. That's pretty bad considering you need to produce videos with actual content full-time for a bi-weekly or even daily schedule, and that doesn't even pay half the rent.

A single big video and many small ones (2-5k views vs one vid with 20m views) gives you ZERO payout. Yes, zero.

This is after the AD revenue changes on youtube. Without patreon and twitch (aka, stream subs etc.) many full time youtubers wouldn't even be able to exist anymore.

And well, a game without a youtube let's play is a game I am not buying.

Totally, but those are people caught in the crossfire, not the main point of contention in any of this.

I watch no let's play videos, or YouTube videos about video games, and that will never, ever change. I can't even fathom what information I'd get from them that I can't get from a solid text review, and I've yet to see a game whose basic theme and gameplay I need a video to understand.
Just my opinion and style. They're utterly pointless for me. For the limited amount of free time I have, I'd rather spend it playing something than watching someone play something.

Well, you see all the flaws a game has before you buy it and spend time downloading it.... which save you from wasting time and money or you watch them for entertainment But if that isn't your thing that's fine ^^

Since I cut TV out of my life youtube and streams replaced it with relevant content I find entertaining

11860 Comments. 593 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo