Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11226 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 1, 2017, 01:18 eRe4s3r

Best free AV, and not even listing Windows Defender?

*slowclap*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2017, 22:29 eRe4s3r

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 21:34:
It's an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew commenting could be so complicated.

Just don't forget that it's April 1st soon, makes internet more complicated altogether, and should be banned, with threat of death penalty if you do it anyway.

Hehe

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER II Announced
10. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER II Announced Mar 31, 2017, 20:24 eRe4s3r

mellis wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 12:37:
In the old days this would be called an Expansion Pack

Well it still is an expansion, but naming wise it makes sense if you want to clarify that it is stand-alone in itself, but can work together with the first game for that big campaign experience, though I am not sure I would want 5 continents in a large campaign. Turn times are only gonna get worse.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2017, 02:36 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 12:03:
I don't understand that at all. The laws are written by public servants paid for by citizens. How can they not have free access to that which they own?

Annotation law is far weirder, what courts decide, who do you think wrote those annotated volumes on laws which are the base for all decisions by courts? Georgia just followed the rabbit all the way into the hole, and allowed a private company to be, in essence, the real state of Georgia.

So welcome to LexisNexis.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 DLC Sharing
1. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC Sharing Mar 31, 2017, 01:40 eRe4s3r

Leave it to EA to come up with something called "Premium Friends"

Btw, it's time limited to the battlefest.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Plans
47. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Plans Mar 31, 2017, 01:18 eRe4s3r

NetHead wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 22:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 18:36:

..And nobody even yet bashed the voice acting enough imo. The female Ryder is TOTAL SHIT. 0 Emotion in the voice anywhere.

Male Ryder is at least decent. But the VA quality like everything else is just not there. Nothing compared to a Witcher 3 or even original Mass Effect

I don't mean to defend the voice acting, it's often poor and moments that need emotion, exertion etc are worse, also there are a few voices in there which have no business being there even if they didn't sound like they recorded it themselves on their phone while on the toilet.

Though (big but here), I think for a lot of that sub par to crappy voice acting I'm not sure it's the fault of the voice actors. Even taking examples of ones that seem bad are sometimes accomplished actors, have a lot of acting under their belt, previous VO experience and reappearances in shows, things which wouldn't be the case if they always performed as they do in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Basically I strongly suspect there was completely inadequate directing and possibly information given to the voice actors. Expecting someone to put the appropriate emotion etc into dialogue without knowing all the details is foolish, no matter how good they are they can't without detailed context and character information.

Even a single actor's performance changes through the game, sometimes it's fine others times it's poor. Unless all the VO's were deliberately tanking it, which I don't believe for a moment, the blame lies with those who should have been directing them, blame falling back at the studio responsible for it all aswell as signing off on it.

Guess I'm not so much defending the voice acting as the actors, I just don't see it being their fault looking at those things like how their performance changes and past experience.

This game bares the markings of a management disaster if not incompetence. $40+ million, 4/5? years, and EA still apparently willing to wait longer, there is no excuse for this to be the result.

When something succeeds it's almost always a team effort, when something fails management has made a mistake, and this thing has grubby fingerprints blemishing almost every part, a hallmark of the problem being higher up.

Well, I admit that animation and VA play together with management, directing and writers, and you make a really good point that not all of it is bad. I think my real problem (call it a character flaw) is that I can not unsee bad VA+facial animation, but I don't notice good VA as good, I just take it for granted as not being bad. And of course not all VA was bad, it was just not what I expected for a game of this budget level. I had a pretty good impression of male Ryder for MOST of it, that one scene, with the cardinal, is where I actually looked up fem ryders response, and the difference is like night and day. It's as if female ryder had no information about the situation maybe?

Btw, I have to add that I also checked the German VA for 20% of my playtime, and if you think the english VA's have "bad moments" then be VERY THANKFUL that you did not play on German, in German the entire game is a "bad moment", none of the voices fit, and especially Turians ;p

All things to me, the real problem isn't good or bad VA, the problem was that the game threw me out of the immersion hard nearly constantly. Tiny glitches, bah, I played Witcher 3, I've seen the horse do things that would warrant exorcism, but this was a quirk, it was unique. It actually improved my opinion of the game, because everything else was so polished. And when I saw the addon areas I was blown away, I felt like I could really be there.

Maybe it is simply higher expectations mixed with more experiences through being older and having played all these games. I don't even NEED VA as a requirement, but if you put in VA, then it has to be good nearly always or it reduces my opinion of a product.

And finally, and with that I call it day when it comes to Mass Effect:A, I also played several games with great writing (Nier:A) and/or voice acting (Witcher 3 + Addon) recently. And obviously this changes perception, oh well.

I was using Hyperbole when it came to fem Ryder VA, obviously because I had not seen VA being talked about anywhere. Everyone is stuck on animations and faces, but what makes or breaks things for me is the VA attached to those horrors ;p When face does not match what is *said* which in fem ryders case, is nearly every 2nd dialog due to globfaced grinning disorder that they call the default face, well then things are just worthy of Hyperbole, and I didn't like fem Ryders voice from the getgo, I don't like that actors voice, like flat out, so I may not have given it much chance beyond that... but that is subjectivity...

#####

TL;DR, I just expected way more. But you are right, 5 years smells of a management disaster, I didn't even consider that. And if that is really the source of the problems then I am sorry for hating on the VA's, the actors are good people, and some of them are great actors for sure. But I can only judge what I hear and see in this game, I don't stalk an actor through their career (sadly, In case of fem-ryder VA I did, and I did not like the voice at all, in no situation) that is super strange, and not really TL;DR anymore

46. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Plans Mar 31, 2017, 00:57 eRe4s3r

Drayth wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 21:42:
ere4s3r, totally serious inquiry.. are you playing on console? A friend and I at work were wondering where all these crazy ME:A flip out videos are stemming from. On PC I've only seen the occasional NPC warp into place, which actually happened far more for me in DA:I (seems to happen when I turn to face an NPC, like the system isn't always updating their position in the map when you aren't looking at them).

Another work friend states that his EA Access trial of ME:A was awful on his XBox One in terms of framerates tanking at times, so it's left me wondering.

Nah, I play PC only, but I did play the trial a bit before the 0-day patch and transitioned my save over after accidentally uninstalling the files (don't ask, I had a brain fart), which is how I know that they actually changed Ryders face to be globzilla the grinning alien, I stopped playing as femRyd at that point. Before that 0-day patch (And I am 100% serious here) she looked just fine even in animations and that is what really got me in a bad mindset from the start, the patch seriously changed my characters face. I did, btw, start an entirely new game when the final release came (VPN unlock) and so I saw everything post 0 day patch as well. That time I played male Ryder, which is how I know his VA and facial anim is better.

All the issues I had where in the "real" release version on PC. But thinking about it you are right, it always happened when I looked quickly in 1 direction and then another, especially when things got wacky (biotic throw and stuff) I had seen enemies standing in the air, and stuff like that too. But I dunno how to cause enemies to phase into walls, I think by not looking when you threw them way away the physics somehow glitch out...

On Nexus I definitely had REALLY weird issues though. Mostly involving bumping into people, and whenever dialog initiated.. sometimes characters just flat out phasing out of the world, sometimes they'd get bumped into me or stuff like that. As I learned from a twitter convo, the thing that prevents this is in dialog setup is called "denial zones" and the game somehow does not remove NPC's within denial zones properly when it can't find a path for them "out" this is how you can end up standing within someone and.. well, crazier things

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Ryzen 31 per cent performance gains Mar 31, 2017, 00:37 eRe4s3r

Thought this would be more interesting news

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/847472586581712897

31% performance boost with a simple code change

Still means older games will not ever get benefits, but newer games can easily benefit from this (with actually zero cost, the feature is optional to begin with, and even Intel compilers filter it out)

Meaning compiler changes can lead to vastly better performance. The effect becomes more minor the more a GPU (and overhead) limits performance though, this is especially a thing for DX11, where you can only have a single render thread on a single cpu thread. This affects stuff like instancing..

Anyhow, thought this would be good news for Ryzen owners, expect better performance, and suddenly the 6 core they announced looks all the more awesome.

I find it interesting AMD did not know this from it's own development tests though....

39. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Plans Mar 30, 2017, 20:09 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 18:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 18:36:
And "Franchise" fans who like this game are imo not fans, but fanboys.

Fuck off with your bullshit opinion. Is it cold up in that ivory fucking tower of yours? "IF I DON'T LIKE IT NOBODY CAN LIEK IT!"

The writing, voice acting, graphics are all atrociously sub-par.

ATROCIOUSLY sub-par graphics. Rolleyes Try to whine a little harder, I don't think people are feeling the righteous, shivering anger in your voice enough just yet.

And nobody even yet bashed the voice acting enough imo. The female Ryder is TOTAL SHIT. 0 Emotion in the voice anywhere.

No, she is actually pretty damn good. She's no Jennifer Hale, no. Nobody is. I personally wish Bioware would just cast Jennifer Hale in the lead role on every one of their games. But Fryda Wolff does a great job with dialogue that is all over the place in quality. She can't help the script as it's presented to her. All she can do is do the best she can in her delivery, which she does. There are plenty of moments in the game where she shines.

Again, you're just desperately flailing away, trying to bash every single thing about this game. It has plenty of flaws worth bashing. There's no need to make up ridiculous bullshit.

Isn't it apparent to you that you just walked straight into my setup to root out fanboys who'd defend this game as if it were their child? ^^ I never said you can't like it, I said if you like it you are a fanboy, and that means ignoring the present flaws in writing, acting and setting. (Graphics like all body animations, skipping around, teleporting, clipping, Turians as a whole, Krogan armor, faces as a whole and facial animations aside, and that is to me atrociously sub-par for a AAA game). And the VA is not "pretty damn good" to me, she sounds like a phone hotline worker on her day off. That's also why she doesn't get any VA gigs in the real world. She has 1 voice mode, and that voice is what you get in ME:A. And if, like me, you can't stand her monotonous featureless voice on top of a soulless glob faced monstrosity with bad animations, you are SOL. This isn't just about her, but about casting no-name actors for primary roles, and making the default face look like an eternally grinning globzilla from some alien commercial...

All this stuff throws me out of immersion. And that, by MY definition, makes this a bad game ;p

And imagine that, the word Graphics means a lot more. I've seen characters phase through stairs, stand inside each other in dialog, float into the sky, fall through the world or stand in walls (and they continued to shoot at me, through walls). And graphics to me means everything, not just pretty landscapes, which is what Frostbite does, so big surprise there that that element looks good. Sadly I don't play landscapes. I don't talk to landscapes and I don't shoot landscapes. And it's funny that you choose that location, because you have a lot of "fun" load times when you want to go back to the ship from there. Slow opening doors and a loading screen within a loading screen.

I had to restart the end fight 6 times because 1 of those stupid assemblers managed to float out into the void and not die. Unreachable that is. The script didn't continue and that was that.

So excuse me if my opinion of this game is "atrociously sub-par" , because I mean that literally. For what they hyped this up to be this was the most laughable experience I ever played. Half the time I played this for comedic value, because every new face was a new horror. My face is tired may be the meme right now, but there are hundreds of other horrors walking through that sad world of Andromeda. And when it failed to fire the scripts at the end I wasn't even angry anymore. Like globface the grinning alien I played, I didn't care anymore about anything in this game. ^^

Sadly, once I completed it, this changed because it sank in what I just had spend 44 and many hours on ~.~ And, worse, I just had completed Nier: Automata, the far better game

37. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Plans Mar 30, 2017, 18:36 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 11:10:
I see what Blue did there! ME:A story right below the Witcher 3 story.

Now there is a comparison for you. How does ME:A compare to the Witcher3?

Not favorably that is for damn sure. But it doesn't even compare decently to Mass Effect 1

And "Franchise" fans who like this game are imo not fans, but fanboys. The writing, voice acting, graphics are all atrociously sub-par. And nobody even yet bashed the voice acting enough imo. The female Ryder is TOTAL SHIT. 0 Emotion in the voice anywhere.

Male Ryder is at least decent. But the VA quality like everything else is just not there. Nothing compared to a Witcher 3 or even original Mass Effect

News Comments > Battlefield 1: They Shall Not Pass Released
5. Re: Battlefield 1: They Shall Not Pass Released Mar 30, 2017, 02:21 eRe4s3r

Wait.. I thought maps were supposed to be free for all? Or is this another, far superior MP game I am thinking about right now? With this they are splintering their laughable community AGAIN?

Ps.: Char 2C is a WW2 tank.... and the french tank they added the St Chamond, was one of the greatest failures ever produced, top speed 1 km/h and unable to cross ANY dug-out or ditches, or craters, or battlefield flat out. Of the 16 build and used in combat all 16 were lost before ever reaching a trench. If they modeled the tracks correctly this is gonna be one of the most broken tanks in the game.

Of the 400 built none were used in combat after that first test ;p

PPs.: They might as well call this a fantasy game at this point

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2017, 02:45.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta Mar 30, 2017, 01:16 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 04:07:
descender wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 22:28:
Even if we were to attempt to build a space elevator it is unlikely we would actually get everyone to agree on which way was "up".

I know a guy who regularly flies overseas, yet still believes the earth is flat. He has seen the curvature, multiple times. Still believes its flat. Fucking sad...

Just install KSP on his PC ^^

News Comments > Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Announced
12. Re: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Announced Mar 29, 2017, 00:01 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 22:17:
How are you guys getting 13 and 8 bucks from GOG??? It's showing 20 for me...

Shows 20 for me, and imo they must be joking with that price... maybe for 2 and a hug (that is, they hug me)

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Time Limit Removed
6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Time Limit Removed Mar 28, 2017, 17:25 eRe4s3r

Starts great, becomes a hugely annoying boring as fuck grind later

It is very pretty to look at for a time...

18. Mass Effect Andromeda Faces Mar 26, 2017, 21:45 eRe4s3r

If you are really curious (technical) why they seem so fucked up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB1vBEaDisI

Ps.: The game has some of the most atrocious writing I ever witnessed.... (completed it, 100%)

This goes so far as characters openly pushing their religious view unto me, weird dialog, badly written characters and a "big evil" with absolutely ZERO logical reason to be doing any of that shit. Like seriously, ZERO

To me, this is a clean 5/10
Tons of bugs too.

Ps.: There are also no far reaching decisions whatsoever. With the exception of 2 but gameplay wise they really do change nothing. There is no Virmire or stand-off, no arguments or fights in the crew, no (legion + quarians) etc. The entire thing feels like Dragon Age Inquisition, but with far inferior writing and planets where exploring only nets you some of the most boring fetch quests of the century. And you better like those, because you gonna find a good dozen of them from random bases that you drive "through" because one is every 200m....

Overall, Nier: Automate is my most beloved game of the year, And Mass Effect: Andromeda is my most hated game of the year.

PPs.: Also I had a glitch in the end fight that forced me to restart it 6 times. So YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

PPPs.: Also, I must be the only one who seen the game pre day-0 patch and somehow they made it look worse with that patch. Before day-0 patch female ryder didn't look like a monstrosity but now she really does. And all the facial animations of humans are really really bad. All the fight scenes are badly coordinated and the bar-fight nearly gave me a laughing fit. We are talking some of the worst animations of the decade. You think some Barny jumped by a headcrab in HL1 looked wonky? You seen nothing yet.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2017, 22:07.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2017, 19:27 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 16:25:
A gender neutral pronoun is a small step but an important one. I welcome our robotic gender neutral pronoun overlords. Oh, wait. Wrong meme.

On the other hand, then we can finally call everyone "it" how it should be...

News Comments > NieR:Automata Released
29. Re: NieR:Automata Released Mar 21, 2017, 16:46 eRe4s3r

So yeah, finished Nier, 50 hours! All endings (ABCDE) (E being the true ending).. hehe

Loved it Actually to me, one of the best games (Soundtrack and Story alone) the last decade.. but yeah ^^

The final "reveal" is a true mind-fuck.

18. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 21, 2017, 16:03 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 14:29:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:08:
Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:41:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:33:
Is the Irish slave story fake news? They came over as indentured servants and were essentially slaves during their indentured period. There was also a high death rate among them too.

So you can sugarcoat the fact all you like, but it certainly was no cake walk for them.

Or you could, y'know, click and read the sources.

killer argument follows
Generically speaking, any form of forced labor can be called slavery and this is not for historians to decide, but by the zeitgeist.

Whether the servitude was voluntary and time limit or involuntary and forever, makes no difference. One is worse, but both are slavery.
Or this; Unlike institutionalized chattel slavery, indentured servitude was neither hereditary nor lifelong; unlike black slaves, white indentured servants had legal rights; unlike black slaves, indentured servants weren't considered property.

and that makes indentured servitude not really a problem

Said no one. Ever.

I think he was being sarcastic, what I meant btw, was that the Snopes article is disagreeing with itself, on the same page

To me, this is a debate about terminology. And Snopes enters a very muddy ground there, what happened to the Irish was in fact voluntary slavery by the modern definition (voluntary if you are cynic, that is, because the choice was death by starvation or working shitty underpaid jobs with less rights than normal citizens). Same for the things that happened to white people (yes, really) in the Berber nations (which really was a mix of slavery and servitude, since you could actually gain rights and higher status (still below regular citizens with a few very famous exceptions), which is a thing black slaves could not ever).

It ain't the same as institutionalized slavery which happened in the US, but nobody sane can tell me indentured servitude was somehow LESS shit, in fact if it is institutional (aka, the government supports it) then all your rights mean nothing. Remember, yeah, you had rights, but you also had much fewer of them, and none of them protected you against no pay, violence, abuse or death.

Either way, servitude and slavery are both deplorable...

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 21, 2017, 13:08 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:41:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:33:
Is the Irish slave story fake news? They came over as indentured servants and were essentially slaves during their indentured period. There was also a high death rate among them too.

So you can sugarcoat the fact all you like, but it certainly was no cake walk for them.

Or you could, y'know, click and read the sources.

killer argument follows
Generically speaking, any form of forced labor can be called slavery and this is not for historians to decide, but by the zeitgeist.

Whether the servitude was voluntary and time limit or involuntary and forever, makes no difference. One is worse, but both are slavery.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 21, 2017, 10:05 eRe4s3r

You evil south korean haxor

thanks to my slow ass download speed, I don't even have to bother with SK VPN, I can just use the US one

What was the unlock download in size? 40mb?

11226 Comments. 562 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo