Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10299 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2016, 11:22 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 10:26:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"

Just the true things, right? /s

Ehem, I was making a bashful cynical remark concerning the reporting of studies... the dog study you mean was barely scientific.. unless you call someone looking at dog pics science

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CS: GO Gambling Scam
1. Re: CS: GO Gambling Scam Jul 4, 2016, 11:18 eRe4s3r

Well that is all CS:GO is anyway.. a giant scam gambling cash fest  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2016, 05:03 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 21:38:
Didn't they come out recently and say that hugging your dog did not provide the comfort we associate with it. Since the only time a wolf gets hugged is by a bear...

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.. especially when it starts with "new study found: XXXXXXXX"

News Comments > Nox for Free
9. Re: Nox for Free Jul 2, 2016, 13:36 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 13:10:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 12:58:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 11:53:
Tried this?

Doesn't even display the first start GUI and quite literally closes the exe instantly.

Edit:
So turns out Origin ships this with Win98 compat mode activated by default... disabled that, running the exe AS IS in w7 works fine.. so yeah, that was weird.

Bizarre, but at least you got it figured out. Also check here if you have any other issues. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nox

Yep thanks ,) And no issues, runs smooth a few "hitches" aside... forgot how quirky this game was.. ran the gauntlet of fire and still remembered all the secrets.. heh

7. Re: Nox for Free Jul 2, 2016, 12:58 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 11:53:
Tried this?

Doesn't even display the first start GUI and quite literally closes the exe instantly.

Edit:
So turns out Origin ships this with Win98 compat mode activated by default... disabled that, running the exe AS IS in w7 works fine.. so yeah, that was weird.

News Comments > New Diablo Plans Revealed?
21. Re: New Diablo Plans Revealed? Jul 2, 2016, 12:24 eRe4s3r

NetHead wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 11:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 09:48:
NetHead wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 09:31:
Slashman wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 23:02:
I think Grim Dawn already covered all these basses and did them way better. It was certainly my D3.

Grim Dawn is great, there's not much to fault with it which is extremely rare in games these days.

Of course there is much to fault in Grim Dark..

I never said it was perfect, I've even ripped it a new one on Blue's myself. Though what it want's to do it does well, for the most part, which is be an ARPG. I haven't played it for a while now and when I did I cheated to avoid what most annoyed me (though to be fair there all ARPGs have that same annoyance). So perhaps I've cooled a bit since butting my head against the things that bugged me with my first playthrough/character.

Some things you bemoan, like combat being somewhat boring, I would have agreed with after my first playthrough though I then tried different characters/styles and found something I enjoyed much more. Perhaps you never found that for yourself, perhaps you're to tied up on there being a certain amount of "fluff" or some visual spark/eye candy, while such fluff is nice it isn't going to make or break gameplay, though perhaps it could help hide or distract from lesser gameplay. Personally I'm not going to take fluff or eyecandy into consideration when looking at gameplay, for what I consider very good and obvious reasons.

D1 without mods is nearly an insult nowadays, and as someone else already said, D1 HD mod makes it a vastly better game, thanks to not sticking to stupid as hell design imperatives.

A bit of a tangent but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, in the sense that it's painfully obvious and expected that there is and should be much in Diablo 1 that is utterly crap compared to things today. If that wasn't the case something would be very wrong seeing as it came out in 1996/7 and was essentially the genesis of ARPG.

Still I think you're very mistaken about something. Taking that mod I mentioned as an example. You seem to imply the design of things in original Diablo 1 was or is considered by some to be great/the best/better, than newer things, hence you feel the need to refute that saying it isn't.

The thing is I don't think anyone disagrees with you, I don't see anyone that would prefer to not have weapon switching, zooming, battering with icons and tooltips for items rather than text, etc etc etc. I've never seen anyone say Diablo is great at such things (compared to more modern things), as it painfully isn't, and again shouldn't be.

It's like you're confusing or mixing up different design aspects that people praise/moan about, GUI versus atmosphere/aesthetic, function versus style. I don't think anyone wants any game to go back to using the now very much "stupid as hell design" of Diablo 1 when it comes to function, usability and such. I've never seen anyone even try to argue for that. I'm pretty certain when people praise the original Diablo design over something newer, or for example say it's better than Diablo 3, that they're talking about the aesthetics, the style, the atmosphere and so on. In that regard Diablo 1/2 outclasses Diablo 3 the way Dark Souls does something like WoW or Plants VS Zombies or Farmville.

The only reason I can see for you saying that bit is to counter people going on about preferring Diablo 1/2 over 3, though I don't see the point of or a reason to use technical design to argue against them. For the simple reason that virtually everyone (probably even 100%) agrees with you, they're comparing design style and atmosphere, not inventory management, GUI, or even things like animation quality..

I liked going on that tangential rant since I am waiting for Enderal (Skyrim TC from SureAI) to release the launcher ;p And aside, I felt like this is a topic worth expanding. And It's hard to expand when people don't say WHY they think what they say. In fact it is why I didn't understand what they meant and drew conclusions for myself, like you do, I had hoped more people would respond and detail why they think Grim Dawn is in any way better than D3, reminding you that most who played GD probably haven't seen the end-game because the end-game is a very boring grind and, for all intents, not even existing, since you can not max out 2 Masteries which leaves you with a sort of "half-assed" merged class or a TOTALLY OP focused class..

But to respond to your first quoted bit, I meant, and didn't say so it was easy to miss, comparing from D1 to D2 design imperatives to PoE and Grim Dawn. Since after all, originally my reply was re: Grim dawn, which is intensely played the past weeks with nearly 5 characters to explore all the skill trees and lootz (I enjoyed no combination of any masteries and I noticed how the loot system works which .. well made me go ~.~

I've had over 400 hours in D2 due to lan playing, we played sorcerer/necro mix, it was a blast but.. even then we noticed that itemization (aka, what dropped) didn't really change how we played the classes. Since as choices "stuck" (which I consider a bad thing) an item that was really neat but changed skills we didn't have was totally worthless.... and considering the legendary drop rates in D2... well yeah.

Anyhow, I have to agree with you that I merged and blurred 2 argumentative lines and assumed something that I probably should not have. Mea culpa and all that.

1. Re: Nox for Free Jul 2, 2016, 11:49 eRe4s3r

Doesn't work on my W7 system.. (the game that is) just opens and closes.  

19. Re: New Diablo Plans Revealed? Jul 2, 2016, 11:43 eRe4s3r

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 10:26:
Then again, I am not one of those who think D2 was better than D3...

And you've disqualified yourself. D2 was made before world of warcraft fucked up everything. Diablo 3 while a respectably made arpg was pretty shit on release, and don't get me started on how they ruined the lore/story/characters of the diablo universe. If you liked the universe/setting of diablo then diablo 3 is a tragedy. Next diablo 3 made your choices not matter, everything is reversible. So there is no risk involved or challenge to playing a character where you've made x choices.

Choices do matter in D3... at least now, but I agree with you that they are always reversible, I don't see that as a bad thing Aside that you are obviously right, setting and story is a total mess. But I don't care for story, spend all my time in Adventure mode anyway.

I have a really hard time understanding what people mean with D2 and choices though. There is ZERO fun (for my taste) involved when you are given 10 options for an level up but unless you want to be fucked over by Act bosses you need to ALWAYS pick certain skills, especially for solo play. And attribute choices might as well not even have existed, same for the retarded meta-game runewords which required you to have google on your tablet open so you even knew what to do with them in late game. (only that back then, there weren't tablets)

To me that is not fun in ARPG's...

16. Re: New Diablo Plans Revealed? Jul 2, 2016, 09:48 eRe4s3r

NetHead wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 09:31:
Slashman wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 23:02:
I think Grim Dawn already covered all these basses and did them way better. It was certainly my D3.

Grim Dawn is great, there's not much to fault with it which is extremely rare in games these days.

Though it had its own distinctive style compared to Diablo, I wouldn't say it falls into replacing the spot where Diablo 3 should be but rather slots along side it perfectly. That D3 spot still being empty because I prefer the think Diablo 3 doesn't exist (it's on my "to forget" list along with games like Deus Ex Invisible War, "Thi4f" and the like).

Of course there is much to fault in Grim Dark.. no full magic basic classes for example. No companions with skill and equipment choice, lackluster random generation. Boring boss fights... not to mention the absurd combat system (why the heavens is there a MISS when there is already a DODGE, BLOCK and REFLECT ????) this adds so much annoyance and contrivances to the combat system. And worst of all, the physics suck. The maps are too static... that's really just visual fluff, but an ARPG needs visual fluff, in Grim Dark, the actual combat is a snoozefest because it looks totally unimpressive. In D3, when you hit as monk, the grass sways back from the force, debris splatters around, monsters are dismantled based on the elemental damage etc....

So while GD does some things right, it also does many things wrong. For example the crap loot which has way to few variations and way too large spread for suffixes, I am level 30 in GD and still run around with a weapon dropped around level 12 because it had an elemental focus I was focusing on .. no other weapon drop in 20+ hours of play had the same.

Dunno if there are mods that fix this, but there really needs to be an itemization fix for Grim Dark before I would consider that a good game.

Then again, I am not one of those who think D2 was better than D3... unmodded D1 and D2 is total garbage compared to the VARIOUS mods for both, that extend and improve the games thousandfold.

D1 without mods is nearly an insult nowadays, and as someone else already said, D1 HD mod makes it a vastly better game, thanks to not sticking to stupid as hell design imperatives.

And D2 had huge itemization issues. That is the ONE thing that D3 just flat out did vastly better than any other ARPG since Wilson left. Now in D3 when I find new sets and legendarily I am happy because with the cube, there is a lot of things you can do and many skill/item combinations to discover. Of course "pro" gamers wouldn't know this, (The ones that never play their own builds) PSA: I play Torment 10 solo WD and DH and I still have modded D1 and D2 installed.

Ps.: For me, the single most biggest fault of GD is, all other things aside (which I can actually ignore and indeed still enjoy GD) is the total lack of a pet based class (WD/Necro) and the total lack of useful companions.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Ban White Trucks!!! Jul 2, 2016, 07:07 eRe4s3r

The real problem is that Tesla called this an autopilot.. because at no point was it autonomous... and at no point was the car in "no pilot required" mode

It was an assist system and it should have been called that. It can assist you, but it does NOT drive safely on roads without a pilot. The Tesla in question isn't even halfway to autonomous driving. And imo Tesla made a huge mistake not enforcing "hands on wheel" properly especially when not on proper highways.. where crossings don't exist.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jul 2, 2016, 04:03 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 00:02:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 23:45:
Sadly, never change price, just different front page listings, each day.

Kinda takes the fun out of it...

And it's really hard to find decent games nowadays... so much shovelware

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jul 1, 2016, 11:56 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 10:16:
The entire Steam library is at 9514 at the time of this writing

I have a friend with 7,812. But he's only level 63.

That's what he gets for not knowing how to use the auto-idler to farm cards and craft badges... ehem.. don't ask

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 10:18 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 10:12:
Other brands will most likely add the additional power pin connectors to their 480's.

Sapphire already announced that they will be using a custom design for the OC version with 8pin connector and vastly better cooling solution so yeah, that is a given.

News Comments > ManiaPlanet Status Report
2. Re: ManiaPlanet Status Report Jul 1, 2016, 06:55 eRe4s3r

inveigle88 wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 23:39:
The new Trackmania rubbish. They used to be great back when they supported their modding community. What a joke.

In reality, Trackmana, the first one, was when this series should have ended. Because really, there is only so much you can do with an arcade racer that is 100% based on pre made block track elements and time challenges...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 06:28 eRe4s3r

AMD is clearly pushing the envelope with the power delivery system on the Radeon RX 480 and we have shown that they are definitely drawing power outside PCI Express specifications even at stock clock speeds and power settings.

Translation, the card is 50% (margin is 9%!!!) outside of PCI-E power specifications, holy crap. Seriously, all this could have been avoided with 2x6 or 1x8 pin connectors... wtf AMD, cheap engineering is one thing, but this is damn near malicious. During OC's the card draws as much as 95W from a connection that according to spec, should never draw more than 75W, it pushes a 5A limited line to 7A .

Maybe worse, if you have a crossfire setup with this, enjoy a 2nd PCI-E slot that is power and current starved. This is really mind boggling... in fact crossfire might actually be too dangerous to even consider if we believe this data.

Man... man man man.. to think I actually had slight hope for this GPU generation..

More info
We went back and looked through a lot of our results, and no other card exceeded the 75W limit in stock form, even if they exceeded the 6-pin and 8-pin limits when overclocked

The voltage regulators sit on the card.. so much for software fix.

I just find this incredible.. popcorn is ready and seat reserved! And just so you know, once 3rd party releases with card at 1400 with custom cooling and 2x6 pin this card is a total (safe!) beast. But fact is also that the "software fix" is gonna be serious downclocking. You know it to be so. meaning all benchmarks for this card would be null and void.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2016, 06:58.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Blood for the Blood God DLC Released
11. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Blood for the Blood God DLC Released Jul 1, 2016, 05:06 eRe4s3r

Desalus wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 19:23:
Why is this not the default gore setting for TW: Warhammer? I thought the ESRB rating was 'M' this entire time and I was shocked to see that it was instead 'T'.

Sega and marketing is the reason, and that they sell blood DLC is actually a legal issue, they can't give a away the DLC for free, because that would increase the rating to M for the base product...

Also, violence like that nets you sale and advertising bans in many countries.... as it is the game is a game, the visual blood and gore effects add nothing.

News Comments > Star Trek- Bridge Crew Details
8. Re: Star Trek- Bridge Crew Details Jun 30, 2016, 13:45 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:25:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 03:18:
You're my kind of people.

KA took some liberties with the size/agility of ships, but damn if it wasn't fun.

Thanks man. There's a whole mod community out there still dedicated to it. For those that can't get it to work on modern OS's including Win10 look for komat's patches. The game itself is ripe for a remake though, people would likely buy it up like no tomorrow but it wouldn't surprise me if it's one of those titles where no one knows who actually owns what, much like NOLF.

Man I still have the original CD's for KA box and all... what a game that was when it came out, FMV, proper story.. KLINGONS.. loved it. And not to forget, the, for the time, absolutely mind blowing damage model. (Modular destruction.. limited, but hey ;p)

News Comments > The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up
2. Re: The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up Jun 30, 2016, 10:23 eRe4s3r

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 09:39:
So basically, it's always one of his "freelancers" that put stolen content into the game, never him.

Riiiiight. If your game has a history of ripping off other people's work, and you're the only common denominator then...

It's actually a common problem.... especially when indy devs look for the cheapest way to get 3d assets..

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
14. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 30, 2016, 06:55 eRe4s3r

Deep click is gonna make you suffer from RSI nearly instantly sadly...  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 30, 2016, 06:42 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 06:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 06:20:
Which would allow clock speeds up to 1350hz which is a 20% boost in FPS.. that is quite major.. and all of that is wasted thanks to that 6 pin connector.

The regular boost is 1266MHz so how would an increase to 1350MHz yield a 20% performance boost?

It's what PC Games claimed they achieved in their OC attempts when compared to stock card. (In German). Don't ask me how that is possible, but it would appear that the card is limited by the cooling solution as well.

10299 Comments. 515 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo