Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 9861 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 22, 2016, 08:42 eRe4s3r

Meanwhile it is a mystery whether these things can still be used as a phone in case of an emergency. Where are the tests that compare audio quality and connection stability? (actual real issues with modern smart-phones, which as I feel, have gotten exceptionally bad at being a phone) Or maybe it's where I live....  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2016, 08:10 eRe4s3r

Doma wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 06:33:

But... that means you have to play a mediocre cover shooter that has bullet sponge enemies up the wazoo and thus requires 0 skill with a gamepad!

So there ;p

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
22. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 15:54 eRe4s3r

Henry Dorsett wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 13:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 13:04:
Whenever I see VR marketed as "casual" gaming I laugh, because 800$ isn't ever gonna be "casual" anything.
I'm still hopeful for the $300 Razer OSVR Hacker Kit. Everyone seems to be panning it because, from what I can tell, they've fallen into the crap narrative that Oculus spun for so long about everything HAVING TO BE, no exceptions, the best possible engineering, or everyone would get sick and have headaches and all that garbage.

Maybe it's just me, but have neither the cash for, nor the desire to spend on the most top-notch equipment for the smoothest, most immersive gaming experience possible. When my last graphics card died, I picked up a GTX 960 (shortly after it came out), and while it won't play every single game on ultra-uber-amazing graphics settings at 200+FPS, it does play every game I want to play at settings which are good enough. And that's what's important to remember: Good enough is good enough, and I think the OSVR Hacker Kit will end up being good enough.

Alas, I have about a month left until my big paycheck comes in and I can buy one.

Yeah, as you say, good enough is good enough, and until all devices are out and can be compared next to each other, can be tested and hacked and compared in-detail we won't know this ,)

My point was merely because of those videos they released in tandem with the price 800€ by the way, is another DOA in Europe, like Oculus.. both prices are well above the price of a 980TI !

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
2. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 13:04 eRe4s3r

Whenever I see VR marketed as "casual" gaming I laugh, because 800$ isn't ever gonna be "casual" anything.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2016, 06:55 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 05:21:
Fusion-sourced electricity can't come a moment too soon.

If by moment you mean at least a good 20 to 50 years before commercial scale plants.. at least then energy will be infinitely available.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Quantum Break
4. Re: Gone Gold - Quantum Break Feb 20, 2016, 01:46 eRe4s3r

A good let's player could make this interesting... to watch  

18. Re: That coffee capsule story... Feb 20, 2016, 01:34 eRe4s3r

PHJF wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 19:38:
I believe they put a rfid on the cup/pod, and the machine won't brew w/o it (so competitors products won't work).

Surely you can't be serious... what kind of stupid bastard would buy into that system?

Well enough to make this concept an environmental nightmare already. So the numbers can't be small.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 20, 2016, 01:29 eRe4s3r

Which just goes to show... even a women can be a horrible CEO

And if you read the stories how Yahoo was run into the ground, then she really isn't much different from fail-ceo's of the male persuasion. Someone said she bought her friends startups? Yeah, and then she put them into the board of directors. By now, there are no actually independent people in the board anymore, which explains to you why nobody rebelled against her.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2016, 01:37.

13. That coffee capsule story... Feb 19, 2016, 18:05 eRe4s3r

I mean, does anyone have to even ask that?

DRM in your coffee machine, 33% waste, and coffee you can't mix yourself... ^^

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 19, 2016, 15:36 eRe4s3r

The real news value would be if Washington post published non libelous news Since way at the bottom it says

Caitlin Dewey is The Post’s digital culture critic

Nowhere does it say she is a journalist

News Comments > German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted
66. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 18, 2016, 17:26 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 17:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 16:00:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 14:18:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 14:14:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 13:57:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 13:45:
I brought up no go areas? I see we are back at putting words in people mouths.

Ahh sorry. I see that was eraser, sorry about that.
I even checked to make sure and still messed it up because of the quotes. Truly sorry.
Oh, all of the sudden you do care about baseless accusations you utter?
Dont expect me to believe such an alibi comment.

You might be going crazy man. I always apologize if I've made a mistake.

I don't understand what problem you have with the term by the way even though it was definitely me that mentioned it It's the 1:1 translation of official reports on the situation with Albanian clans and Russian mafia-like structures (and now, Tunisian/Moroccan gangs). Heck today the government announced it checks whether the FSB is essentially financing those Russian closed communities to act as propaganda tools to destabilize Germany.... you couldn't make this shit up even if you wanted, which is why I don't. Reality is already sad enough.

Never once said these areas had anything to do with Muslims or refugees, I said we learned our lessons from flawed immigration politics back 1990 that created nogo areas and parallel societies that live in locked down ghettos essentially. Which is another thing you could find in the Bundesverfassungsschutz-Bericht I got this term from. It's an official paper brochure (more like a book, really) you can get here every now and then, updated every year.

The same things is said about neighborhoods in the UK, France, and the United States regardless of the particular minority in the area. It's just about always bullshit. It has been in the news here recently because Republican candidates were using it to scaremonger... "Soon we'll be like Europe full of "no go zones" ruled by Muslims etc." Of course left leaning organizations said they didn't exist and right leaning ones vociferously reiterated that they did. Our local "no go zones" in Detroit here used to be anywhere south of 8 Mile (like the movie). Ooooh scary areas with only black people, you're certain to get shot! When that nonsense died out it became Dearborn and Hamtramck, Muslim majority cities where Sharia is the only rule of law! (which is bs of course). Are there issues in these places? Of course. But treating the area as a pariah doesn't fix that problem, it makes it worse. As the racist pricks who caused the "white flight" around here die out things get better. People are moving back into these areas and they're being revitalized, though I guess that brings the opposite problem of "gentrification". /end ramble

Sorry that doesn't really hit a point, but gives you an idea of where I'm coming from as it relates to "no go zones". I find it hard to believe that you haven't heard of it in a contemporary context, and are only familiar with it from the early 90s. But oh well.

It's easy to understand firstly I am a more or less old dude (thank you for reminding me!), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyerswerda_riots | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostock-Lichtenhagen_riots | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solingen_arson_attack_of_1993 were a HUGE topic back then and since they happened during my (early) school years it formed me one way or another. Though I didn't live in Saxony, my extended family did. And needless to say this was a topic the entirety of the early 90ies here, it's where I first heard the term and it's where the term was coined for me. It's also why I find racism like I experienced in that Döner shop horrible, I merely wanted to understand why that reaction happened. And to do that I had to explain what the general situation is in my region. (basically, it's xenophobic boonies and the fastest internet is 6mbit) ^^

I won't deny your point that there is a right wing populist agenda behind using this term nowadays, and I shall refrain from using it in the future.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2016, 17:42.

63. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 18, 2016, 16:21 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 13:51:

eraser- The pushback against globalization is only natural, but once economies became as intertwined as they are now the rest will assuredly follow. There is no going back, but there will always be those who don't want to accept it. Being tribal is a very human thing, but breaking free of the most base instincts is what separates us from the animals and makes us civilized.

We as a species will never survive beyond this planet if we are still clinging to things like race, borders and isolationist cultures.

I wish you were right, but as I see it 27 of 28 nations have chosen the isolationist and nationalist approach and the last one, Germany, isn't gonna stand in that storm for long, not with Merkel (Alle mir nach, ich folge euch!) in power. And that puts me, together with what I described happened around me way at the beginning in a somber mood. You may say globalization is something that has backfeeding loop into our cultures, but I simply don't see current European Union responding to this in a good way.

Yeah you can now laugh or point at me, but fact is I experienced that kind of open fear and barely subdued racism for the first time in my life. It's kinda hard not be moved by that.

I just think the world is going to shit lately and doesn't improve my mood when I hear the Russian tiger wrestler proclaim a new cold war.

62. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 18, 2016, 16:00 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 14:18:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 14:14:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 13:57:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 13:45:
I brought up no go areas? I see we are back at putting words in people mouths.

Ahh sorry. I see that was eraser, sorry about that.
I even checked to make sure and still messed it up because of the quotes. Truly sorry.
Oh, all of the sudden you do care about baseless accusations you utter?
Dont expect me to believe such an alibi comment.

You might be going crazy man. I always apologize if I've made a mistake.

I don't understand what problem you have with the term by the way even though it was definitely me that mentioned it It's the 1:1 translation of official reports on the situation with Albanian clans and Russian mafia-like structures (and now, Tunisian/Moroccan gangs). Heck today the government announced it checks whether the FSB is essentially financing those Russian closed communities to act as propaganda tools to destabilize Germany.... you couldn't make this shit up even if you wanted, which is why I don't. Reality is already sad enough.

Never once said these areas had anything to do with Muslims or refugees, I said we learned our lessons from flawed immigration politics back 1990 that created nogo areas and parallel societies that live in locked down ghettos essentially. Which is another thing you could find in the Bundesverfassungsschutz-Bericht I got this term from. It's an official paper brochure (more like a book, really) you can get here every now and then, updated every year.

51. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 18, 2016, 13:30 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 12:43:
Wanting everyone to assimilate and be exactly like you and your culture sounds a lot like some lingering "master race" reich-wing issues. There are some really tone-deaf posts in this thread lol...

Globalization of culture is the new normal. Embrace it or get run over by it, your choice. Just don't be surprised when other people find your views a bit insensitive and xenophobic.

That's very optimistic and also a bit comical considering this is not how the world is currently. Last I checked Germany/Austria were standing alone in Europe in accepting refugees and it's method of solving the problem a humane way, and Austria no longer stands at our side either.... the actual response we see to what you describe is total isolationism and nationalistic tendencies with huge support by the populations of these countries. Closing of borders and building of walls, and reinstatement of the fortress Europe doctrine, something EU is already applying in Spain and Italy as well as the Turkish border and Greece/Turkey sea ways. Threat of throwing Greece out of Schengen.

Seems to me what is "run over" is humane values in Europe.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Launches Snowfall Expansion & Adds Free Editor
3. Re: Cities: Skylines Launches Snowfall Expansion & Adds Free Editor Feb 18, 2016, 12:11 eRe4s3r

Still think these expansions so far are absolute garbage ;/  

36. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 18, 2016, 08:32 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 08:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 08:01:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 06:36:
The U.S. immigration process does not require acceptance of "core society values" whatever the hell that means. The 100 or so questions that are asked involve mostly family relations and legal checks, for tripping up honest criminals apparently, like "Have you ever laundered money before?" "Has the U.S. President identified you as a human trafficker?"

Everyone should be treated equally under the law. Breaking a law gets you fined or arrested regardless of your religion. But that's not solely what you're discussing despite how you've frequently brought that up as a deflection.

Our citizenship test is not written for sorting out retards... it's for sorting out people that won't ever integrate and thus should never become citizens of Germany. It is in fact a lesson we learned from 1990 and Turkish/Russian immigrant, which ended up being a totally failed attempt. They created paralleled societies where most Germans will not even go NEAR. There are entire areas in big cities in Germany where you have NO-GO areas, that means areas where a German that doesn't want to be mugged flat out doesn't go, ever.

Refugees have the right to the regulated minimum standard of living in the EU until the cause of them seeking refuge is gone. Beyond that only real citizenship grants you citizen rights (including the right to vote, stay in Germany or move across the EU). The fact that Merkel talks about integrating refugees into job market, pays them hartz4 and gives them free healthcare is exactly because of this such a burning hot issue in Germany. Legally these are not citizen applicants, these are illegal immigrants not protected by the Geneva Convention, and they have NO RIGHT to ever be granted citizenship according to our laws.

And since Köln the situation in Germany has changed drastically, whether that is fair to all the good not criminal people that are by mere circumstance now refugees... well...... as I said before, I think the entire handling of the refugee situation was a huge mistake. Merkel made every mistake that was possible to make.

I really don't care what Germany's immigration process is. I was responding to both of you saying that the U.S. had a values test in theirs, which doesn't appear to be true.

I merely replied to you then to tell you that we (Germans) do have a citizenship test, that unlike the US test, includes values, not just laws. And that refugees can not legally do it, (least not within the next 6 years).

So I said that because you (and others) seemed to think these are migrants. We have no migration problem, we have a refugee problem, quite literally The legal situation of refugees is below that of citizens, and every concession Merkel makes to make refugees more like citizens devalues actual legally achieved citizenship. Which is why many of the legal migrants are way more radical anti-refugee than native Germans. Least if the polls are any indication.

Ps.: And sorry for contributing to the confusion

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2016, 08:39.

33. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 18, 2016, 08:01 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 06:36:
The U.S. immigration process does not require acceptance of "core society values" whatever the hell that means. The 100 or so questions that are asked involve mostly family relations and legal checks, for tripping up honest criminals apparently, like "Have you ever laundered money before?" "Has the U.S. President identified you as a human trafficker?"

Everyone should be treated equally under the law. Breaking a law gets you fined or arrested regardless of your religion. But that's not solely what you're discussing despite how you've frequently brought that up as a deflection.

Our citizenship test is not written for sorting out retards... it's for sorting out people that won't ever integrate and thus should never become citizens of Germany. It is in fact a lesson we learned from 1990 and Turkish/Russian immigrant, which ended up being a totally failed attempt. They created paralleled societies where most Germans will not even go NEAR. There are entire areas in big cities in Germany where you have NO-GO areas, that means areas where a German that doesn't want to be mugged flat out doesn't go, ever.

Refugees have the right to the regulated minimum standard of living in the EU until the cause of them seeking refuge is gone. Beyond that only real citizenship grants you citizen rights (including the right to vote, stay in Germany or move across the EU). The fact that Merkel talks about integrating refugees into job market, pays them hartz4 and gives them free healthcare is exactly because of this such a burning hot issue in Germany. Legally these are not citizen applicants, these are illegal immigrants not protected by the Geneva Convention, and they have NO RIGHT to ever be granted citizenship according to our laws.

And since Köln the situation in Germany has changed drastically, whether that is fair to all the good not criminal people that are by mere circumstance now refugees... well...... as I said before, I think the entire handling of the refugee situation was a huge mistake. Merkel made every mistake that was possible to make. (In case you wanted to know which one, she suspended Dublin-III without talking to EU or federal states first. Last I checked this was not in her legally granted power. But should she really be sued in March I will defer to what the courts say to that.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2016, 08:13.

27. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 18, 2016, 05:55 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 04:54:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 04:42:
You live in a much different country. I wouldnt complain at all if we would, like your country, only let people in who are willing to integrate, adapt to our values and laws. But we dont. Right now we let in everyone. Without any checks. We are actually supporting them creating their parallel societies, because statistics are manipulated (they admitted it just recently) and nothing is being done about it.
Oh and I worked among Muslims too. I had friends, even my GF was one once. My fucking dentist is one! They are exceptions - to the rule, and they even admit it themselves!

You picked the wrong American unfortunately. I live among the greatest density of Muslims in this country. And what the hell are you on about "only let people in who are willing to integrate, adapt to our values and laws" ... as far as I know there isn't a test that's like "you gon be a real good american?" We're free to act as we please in this country within the law. I predict it's the same in Germany as well... nobody forcing you to speak a certain language, behave a certain way, follow a certain religion. It's a little thing called freedom.

Did you ever think that maybe the "exceptions" you've allowed are actually the case all over? That each person is unique and doesn't deserve to be treated as if they follow lockstep with a monolith defined by race, religion, or ethnicity?

Uh, there is actually a real citizenship application test that you have to pass in Germany if you want to migrate... including language requirement: reading/speaking/writing in GERMAN, accept core society values (and not just laws) etc.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2016, 07:18 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 16:59:
Basically, the next step required is to make a machine capable of reading/outputting these 5D storage wafers, that will last 13 billion years.

Post apocalyptic mutants will use these wafers as pogs or currency or something.

Yeah even assuming the marble survives, whoever finds that might not use binary format for data storage... or even expect a glass marble to hold any information whatsoever. I still think if you were really serious about this, it would have to be a monolith with some impossible to scratch surface on the moon or something (Kubrick was on to something). That would last a few billion years at least.. until the sun goes poof.

9. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 17, 2016, 06:15 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 05:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 03:31:
This is the kind of situation we are in in Germany. The problem isn't crime from refugees or illegals or the housing or the jobs, or even the costs, it's that feeling that as German you are slowly losing what makes Germany German. Now there is a chance nobody around you speaks German anymore

Yep. This is very true, but to be fair, at least here in Southern Germany I have felt like this for a few years already, i.e. even before the refugee invasion.
When you are walking through the streets here, it has become rare to hear someone speak in actual German.
We have many, many Russian (or CIS folks), Romanian, generally Eastern European, Yugoslavian, Italians, Spaniards (Spain has ~50% youth unemployment so lots of young Spanish people came here in the last couple of years) and so on and so on around here.

I live in Brandenburg.. Needless to say the situation here is very different than elsewhere but also not, (more sheep, pigs OR cows than people) and people here are more xenophobic (large swaths of wide spread villages with 0 foreigners, or only Vietnamese and Turks from before the unification (So they are as much German as the Germans here, in some odd ways more so). A 4500 people first registration building complex has been converted "here" in the vicinity and since then the mood has noticeable changed for the worse, in that city only 6200 people live to begin with. There is also a very strong housing shortage here, since old houses got bulldozed en mass, and now we got nothing left for affordable rent.

As you can imagine, this went over REALLY well with the populace... I suspect this is why that happened what happened to me. (Basically nothing happened to me, maybe I should say it happened AROUND me?)

Point is I could do well without such nonsense when I get my weekly Döner

And as if news had read my comment. If you read German...
Diffuse Ängste - Allensbach Umfrage (FAZ)

The problem and source of animosity is an ever increasing diffuse fear. 60% of females (44% of males) don't feel safe in Germany anymore.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2016, 07:33.

9861 Comments. 494 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo