Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10297 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2016, 20:04 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 18:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 17:22:
I can only say... thank the heavens we do not talk like that Because you think this is confusing? Try doing it with 50 different languages with 10 times that complexity... also unless I misundersand the language, wouldn't this kind of language require you to LEARN all the logical meanings of historic events? I don't see how you could maintain a space-faring multi-colony empire this way, as the languages would without a doubt drift apart to the point where 2 colonies of the same race would not be able to communicate. Or maybe.. I am overthinking things ,p
Yeah, there are real problems with the idea. As the article RedEye linked says, there would seem to be no way to say, “Hey Bob, can you hand me the ¾" socket wrench.” Personally, I always assumed it would be something like a "royal language form". Something only used in official ceremonies or in diplomatic exchanges. It is a good episode.

I think in such a society you wouldn't need to ask that to begin with, you would tell a group the logical situation you are in (Bob repaired shizzle X, maybe a bit flowery or even more defined) and they would infer based on that the task and the strategy everyone has to follow and so you would never be in a situation where you would have to ask for a specific tool, because they would know when you need it as there is only 1 way to repair object X. But as you say, I don't see how they could achieve scientific research this way... and the requirements for the school education would be insane, especially if multiple nations (with way different situation stratagems) would have to work together...

Also, maybe it's just me, but I doubt such a race using such a method of speech could advance beyond the middle ages because of this language fault and that's a huge "IF" concerning how they would even communicate among their own nations. Not to mention things like the fictional movies or literature for entertainment would be essentially impossible. As you can not fictionalize something in a language that requires you to use (existing) logical constructs to define a situation.

Only way I see this working is if they were telepathic, so that you could see in your mind what your counterpart is talking about...

Either way, it just shows what a giant clusterfuck space exploration would be, if you ever discovered such a society. (not to mention one that just flat out kidnaps your captain.. that is just rude p,)

Ps.: Also, the article didn't really clarify how they would express something when there is no precedent in their language/history for that thing... indeed like discovering something totally new and being the first to do it.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2016, 20:12.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2016, 17:22 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 16:12:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 14:31:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 14:26:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 14:13:
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra, when the walls fell...
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra, Shaka when the walls fell...
Fixed that for you...
You can blame google. You should be happy it deciphered my search at all, as I could only remembered it rhymed/was similarto "tarmac and".
I needed this not a short explanation.

I can only say... thank the heavens we do not talk like that Because you think this is confusing? Try doing it with 50 different languages with 10 times that complexity... also unless I misundersand the language, wouldn't this kind of language require you to LEARN all the logical meanings of historic events? I don't see how you could maintain a space-faring multi-colony empire this way, as the languages would without a doubt drift apart to the point where 2 colonies of the same race would not be able to communicate. Or maybe.. I am overthinking things ,p

News Comments > VIVE & GTX 10 Series Display Port Issue
8. Re: VIVE & GTX 10 Series Display Port Issue Jul 6, 2016, 16:50 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 15:54:
i experience this issue, it's very frustrating. Also when I leave my vive plugged in the HDMI, sometimes when rebooting the computer, it doesn't display on my monitor (displayport), and instead I assume it's projecting my desktop to the vive, which isnt' supposed to happen (shouldn't detect it as an extended monitor).

ALSO

on my 144hz 1440p monitor, when using the desktop, THE THING FLASHES ALL THE TIME. like CRAZY ARTIFACTS. I've since discovered that this is happening to many people with the 1440p 144hz monitors and the GTX 1080. There's a workaround, changing screen refresh to something other than 144hz, then changing it back fixes it. but you have to do it every time you reboot. Apparently it's a driver issue. One that people also experienced with the 980 ti which has still gone UNFIXED.

Anyone who says that AMD has shit drivers has truely never owned an nvidia card. my 980 and now 1080 are fucking headaches to deal with.

Nowadays I don't see many people saying that about AMD drivers to be honest (Crossfire support and GameReady delayed drivers aside..) . Nvidia driver quality took imo a massive nosedive ever since the 3xx series of drivers. I've had driver issues after issues... and that flickering... well yeah, known since the 980ti.. absolutely insane that this is not fixed yet.

even worse is that these drivers imo introduce far more issues than they fix. Especially with older games.

3. Re: VIVE & GTX 10 Series Display Port Issue Jul 6, 2016, 13:06 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 12:58:
If you use the HDMI port, which behaves better all around on the Vive anyway, you're fine. They make it sound like a disaster.

Well some of the vendor models for nvidia latests cards have only 1 HDMI

19. Thanks for being there for us Jul 6, 2016, 13:05 eRe4s3r

Oh lovely Blue, what we would do.. without you. ^^  

1. Re: VIVE & GTX 10 Series Display Port Issue Jul 6, 2016, 12:49 eRe4s3r

There is a joke about competition and what happens when there isn't any in there somewhere...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 6, 2016, 12:39 eRe4s3r

So basically we now know for a fact that the RX 480 does not meet PCI specifications... which begs the question how the fuck the card got certified by PCI-SIG, a question those review sites all happily forget, AMD pushed it out, sure, but PCI-SIG certified it to meet PCI specs. Without that, the card would not have shipped.

Btw, one of the other interesting tidbits that came to light was that there were at lest 2 slightly different PCB's of the same card... not as a jab at AMD.. just as a curious fact. ;p

News Comments > Cricket Captain 2016 Released
7. Re: Cricket Captain 2016 Released Jul 6, 2016, 05:55 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 05:10:
ventry wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 20:04:

That would be anyone born outside of the USA.

Erm...no.

Particularly since I am.. you know, European, and nowhere in Europe (UK/NL aside) do we play Cricket...

There has been some talk to maybe start some team in Germany (What with all the refugees who know what it is and so on..) but I don't think that ever ended up happening. You also have to face the reality that here in Germany, people just flat out do not understand Cricket. Which isn't at all the same like American Football, which we enjoy watching too.. if you cut the advertising breaks out anyway.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII Jul 6, 2016, 05:52 eRe4s3r

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 03:08:
Why is it trash? I read somewhere it`s just the same as always (which the author called "dated' or something).

They removed tons of features from 12... basically dumbed down and quite fewer choices

News Comments > SEGA Acquires Amplitude
8. Re: SEGA Acquires Amplitude Jul 5, 2016, 18:53 eRe4s3r

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 16:27:
And I was looking forward to Endless Space 2. Oh well, now I can save my money......

To be honest, I am more hyped for Endless Space 2 now More money and less stupid bickering through Games2Gether would do ES2 some real good.

News Comments > Cricket Captain 2016 Released
3. Re: Cricket Captain 2016 Released Jul 5, 2016, 18:42 eRe4s3r

I have to say after watching the trailer I think I have even less clue what cricket is than before. Clearly made only for the people who know what it even is...  

News Comments > etc.
2. Action trip down memory lane Jul 5, 2016, 15:41 eRe4s3r

Just browsing the site now makes me wonder wtf the point of it was. The entire site design screams "someone nuke me from orbit" and the top babes seem a relic of an ancient, more sexist time... that, and the site looks broken even before shutting down.. maybe thanks to the weirdly incoherent 2 side-bar design

So goodbye Action trip.. a site that every time I visited it reminded me as to why I love bluesnews more than any other gaming news site

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2016, 12:19 eRe4s3r

Phasenoise wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 10:26:
I think you're confusing blizz with ubisoft. Blizz has great anti cheat, verifies client actions server-side, and is aggressive with bans. From Ars:

And you couldn't accuse Blizzard of not being thorough; one user reported that he couldn't play Overwatch after his ban despite reformatting his entire PC, changing his hard drive ID, his MAC address, the BiosDate in registry, or even after he bought a new VPN.

They're doing this over the "look the other way, sell another license" ploy of other titles.

They can't do a damn thing against human-interaction faking bots like the above mentioned one hence they have to sue, same (design) problem with HOTS

Aka, broken by design.

A game that can be played by a bot better than by a human and which does not allow detection of said bot in any way is pretty much cheaters haven. And the only way that can be is if everything happens on the client end.

All the bot needs to do is sniff the netcode of the game and blizzard can not detect this if it's properly done via system driver, since the client knows everything the server knows so does the bot....

Anyway, this is what happens with "shooter is always right" design philosophy.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2016, 12:26.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?
1. Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 09:59 eRe4s3r

That's what you get for designing a MP "competitive" game with a client side net protocol and zero decent anti cheat.  

News Comments > CS: GO Gambling Scam
25. Re: Buying digital skins has never been PHUNNER. Jul 5, 2016, 04:36 eRe4s3r

LittleMe wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 16:52:
Real currencies are stable until psychopathic central bankers come in with their always clever lies and deceptions to scam the populace with a collectivized currency. You imply it would be chaos, the opposite is true. Right now our economic system is chaos and evil.

When the fed is ended in the right way, there will be a transition period where the parasitic and cancerous aspect to our economy would die. That would be healthy and necessary. Suddenly we would have a lot of people ready to take productive jobs.

Yeah, so.. like in Venezuela? See.. the problem is what you define as a productive job isn't necessarily matching the list of "vital services a country needs to not go to shit"

Especially when you are totally dependent on food imports. (in case of Venezuela, also oil exports)

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2016, 04:48.

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
12. Re: Nothing hidding in Polaris 10 Jul 5, 2016, 04:10 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 14:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 12:30:
NetHead wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 12:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 12:03:
So Polaris 10 is 480, Polaris 11 is .. let's ignore that it even exists.

What is AMD's plan to compete against Nvidia here? And how are any of these cards VR ready or is that not even a thing anymore for AMD?

I'm pretty sure everyone's expecting AMD's Vega 10 to compete with Nvidia's GP104 (1070/1080). Nvidia's releasing higher end parts first and AMD's releasing lower end parts fist.

Which is why the 1060 (Nvidia GP106) is coming out after Polaris/480. Hopefully we at least get some news on Vega 10 soon. Hopefully using HBM2 on it doesn't cause any supply delays, I'm quite curious to see how it turns out (and hopefully doesn't have a reference board partially designed by marketing lol).

So Vega is an entirely new DIE and CHIP ? If so that would mean by the time it's out, Nvidia is gonna push a TI version of GP104 (it has plenty of headroom) to compete against that with barely any extra development no?

Just seems like AMD is basically doomed to lose what little market share it has left if they don't release some positive press soon. At the latest by xmas tons of people are gonna plan to upgrade.
Meh, the vast majority of graphic cards are sold in the midrange level. If they can compete in that market, they'll be fine.

Midrange is very crowded though, and the 480 isn't particularly shining. Maybe the picture will change with better board designs coming from 3rd parties.

4. Re: Nothing hidding in Polaris 10 Jul 4, 2016, 12:30 eRe4s3r

NetHead wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 12:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 12:03:

What is AMD's plan to compete against Nvidia here? And how are any of these cards VR ready or is that not even a thing anymore for AMD?

I'm pretty sure everyone's expecting AMD's Vega 10 to compete with Nvidia's GP104 (1070/1080). Nvidia's releasing higher end parts first and AMD's releasing lower end parts fist.

Which is why the 1060 (Nvidia GP106) is coming out after Polaris/480. Hopefully we at least get some news on Vega 10 soon. Hopefully using HBM2 on it doesn't cause any supply delays, I'm quite curious to see how it turns out (and hopefully doesn't have a reference board partially designed by marketing lol).

So Vega is an entirely new DIE and CHIP ? If so that would mean by the time it's out, Nvidia is gonna push a TI version of GP104 (it has plenty of headroom) to compete against that with barely any extra development no?

Just seems like AMD is basically doomed to lose what little market share it has left if they don't release some positive press soon. At the latest by xmas tons of people are gonna plan to upgrade.

2. Nothing hidding in Polaris 10 Jul 4, 2016, 12:03 eRe4s3r

Am I only one who was left scratching head and toe after reading that news story?

Ah.. AMD's plan is called VEGA.. and it's supposed to ship in.. 2017 or something. Bit odd that a card that's supposed to ship in less than 6 months doesn't have any info on it.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2016, 12:14.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2016, 11:22 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 10:26:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"

Just the true things, right? /s

Ehem, I was making a bashful cynical remark concerning the reporting of studies... the dog study you mean was barely scientific.. unless you call someone looking at dog pics science

News Comments > CS: GO Gambling Scam
1. Re: CS: GO Gambling Scam Jul 4, 2016, 11:18 eRe4s3r

Well that is all CS:GO is anyway.. a giant scam gambling cash fest  

10297 Comments. 515 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo