Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12143 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 28, 2017, 00:54 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 00:43:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 20:24:
FBI Software For Analyzing Fingerprints Contains Russian-Made Code, Whistleblowers Say.

Why wouldn't you use code from one of the most pervasive secret police states in the world?
Would that be China or...the UK? Or parts of the EU?

Definitely North Korea

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 22:05 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 20:14:
Choobeastia wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:34:
So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked Bright. It's not the best movie, and it has its flaws, but it's fun. I feel like the critics were watching a different movie, and I wonder if their review copy really was different somehow.

I've heard much the same, that it's good. Almost watched it with the kids the other day, but then realized it was TV-MA, so figured I'd better watch it myself first.

Contrarian for contrarian's sake.

Loved the movie but it's got that MA rating for a reason (and that reason is why I loved it) finally some bad-ass elves.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 27, 2017, 14:42 eRe4s3r

Meanwhile, EU runs an entire department fighting Russian disinformation campaign

https://euvsdisinfo.eu/

Nowadays when you hear something out of Russia, it's very likely a lie.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 14:30 eRe4s3r

Bumpy wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 07:06:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 02:17:
Wasn't Samsung and some others supposed to come out with VR headsets this Christmas? There were supposed to be a whole slew of them based on the Windows mixed reality API.

Cold feet perhaps? VR it not trending much at all. Niche fad is niche.
Bring the price and requirements way down, then it may get common place.

Yeah price is a no brainer, but how would you ever bring requirements down? Either the VR quality gets better, and requirements go up, or they become even worse (hardly possible considering how bad the DK2 was)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 03:47 eRe4s3r

Can I just say I 100% agree to that naming list thing? The marketing bullshit in PC hardware is so absurd I can't even fathom the reasons for it anymore. Does AMD think server admins buy a CPU that's called Threadripper? You know how that looks on a subsidy funding request?

Yeah, neither does AMD *cough*

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 23:46 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 21:35:
Shock wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 20:43:
Aren't business required to accept cash as legal tender?
Good point, I had to look that up.
There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm
sHaKeS hEaD

If I could get my bakery to switch to cashless payments I would do a happy dance... currently I get 5x10 paper monies (you get that at the shopping places at least) to buy my bakery goods every week. And when price is below 10 you ask? Well since they can't exchange (I am usually the first customer in a day due to my odd freelancer day/night rhythm) I just give them 10 and the rest is basically a tip...

So literally fuck cash I could save 20 a month if I didn't need to pay with physical money.

Ps.: I just realized this is truly a 1st world problem
PPs.: In my town is no ATM (and the one that is there has a huge fee) so yeah ^^

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 26, 2017, 23:06 eRe4s3r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 21:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 20:20:
driver-less, but it is not autonomous...

Because it's only operating in a fixed area? I'm not understanding the analogy to not being supposed to let go of the wheel of a Tesla in autopilot mode: the Waymo taxis have NO driver at all. The technology hasn't reached the point where autonomous vehicles can fully replaced cars with drivers, but we're at the point where they can effectively replace a large subset of them. That's significant.

Because it can't handle any new or unexpected things (Which is basically where the AI is at right now), if the road changes due to construction and it's not scanned in and mapped these cars will happily drive you off a cliff, literally even as the sensors can't detect a hole in the ground (though I would say it's very unlikely there would be a hole in the road, it can happen ,p). So yes, works limited *fixed* area, but worldwide? Who is going to do the scanning every day, who is going to download the tb of new map data, who is gonna operate the billion petaflop datacenters needed for this? These cars would have to be totally networked, fully autonomous, aware what a construction, mirror, sign that is covered by snow/rain/fog/dust is and handle that. And that's why it's not autonomous and that's why you don't see overland trains and planes automated yet. Once you see those (Trains are infinitely easier to automate)...

Though to be fair you can do a fairly good shuttle service in big cities with level 4 autonomy assuming you scan the entire city road network in near real-time. Not saying that isn't possible, but it's not something car makers should have to do, it's something cities have to do and the parking management needs also some considerations. Well, in an optimal world anyway... so yeah, it is significant but it ain't autonomy that would replace the car infrastructure of our developed western nations. If Waymo actually manages what it says across the US and that means direct town to town travel with these, then they would be level 4 and THAT would be extremely significant.

I will happily link to the car makers autonomy levels explanation
TechRepublic

Remember, they are prototyping this service, their service, their cars. Once they are actually selling it and thus take 100% responsibility for the driving and their accident numbers aren't sky high because human drivers crash into these then I will shut up and buy one

I don't see the value in driverless cars that need babysitting

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2017, 23:33.

News Comments > Free Overwatch Loot Boxes
9. Re: Free Overwatch Loot Boxes Dec 26, 2017, 22:05 eRe4s3r

opie wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 17:32:
is it just me, or is overwatch no longer fun? I play for like half a match, then get the strong feeling of "I don't want to play this anymore...".

Feel the same, boring repetitive ;/

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support
15. Re: NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support Dec 26, 2017, 20:25 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 09:21:
Fantaz wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 17:13:
soon Win7 display driver support will end from both AMD and Nvidia, I have heard internally talk from both companies. Win8.1 support is mostly gone already. it's too expensive to support multiple OSes
If you're a gamer you should have already moved to win10, win8 and win7 both have a vram limit of 4096MB with any game that uses DX9 or below. One of the reasons skyrim likes to thrash like a zombie when you use texture mods.

You have the same limit on Windows 10 if a game uses D3D9, that limit is a API limit, not a platform limit.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 26, 2017, 20:20 eRe4s3r

driver-less, but it is not autonomous... that is why nobody noticed. These are level 3 cars you can have with same functionality in a Tesla or even a modern truck or train. And there is a reason neither of these allow you to let go of the wheel ever.

Actually the 1 niche use for this is literally this, grid like city with very fixed, easy to drive intersections. As we all know, that ain't the real world though outside of very specific cities

General Discussion > Best Game of 2017
6. GOTY Dec 26, 2017, 00:14 eRe4s3r

My Goty for 2017 is Nier:Automata ^^

Thinking more about it, it would be a close tie with Pyre

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2017, 03:16.

News Comments > Christmas Mobilization
1. Re: Christmas Mobilization Dec 25, 2017, 23:58 eRe4s3r

This here is the actual read https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat

And it's a VERY good read

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video
21. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video Dec 24, 2017, 18:40 eRe4s3r

I actually enjoyed that hour.... needs tons of polish and optimization, but the base is there, and this 1 hour had more in 1 hour than Elite Dangerous has as entire gameplay.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2017, 18:38 eRe4s3r

On literally the first hour of xmas my heating broke... and remains broken obviously.... so yay, this year can't be over soon enough  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 24, 2017, 12:54 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 12:23:
Yeah, I cut cable back in 2003, and my kids have almost never been exposed to commercials. On the rare occasions when they have, they get really irritated at them.

Can proudly say that I can count the hours of wasted life the past decade on advertisement in TV/Movies on 1 hand... and on the web even less.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 23, 2017, 17:46 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 21:12:
Whatever future space game is out there will have to deal with the same limitations and issues that Egosoft has to deal with in balancing fun gameplay with 'realism' and the strain of simulating a living universe. I'm not placing bets on anyone until I see something concrete.

Well I will never disagree with you on that, see it, play it, and then judge it. But Egosoft doesn't exactly have a good track record with releases, everything they ever released was a total mess on day 1

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2017, 13:16 eRe4s3r

This is the reason I don't own glass tables ^^ And I never understood why somebody would, it's a huge fucking lethal danger you put into your home. WHY?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2017, 13:01 eRe4s3r

That Tornado video.. is just crazy  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 23, 2017, 12:56 eRe4s3r

That isn't news, that's a nice shadow ad for Nvidia by Nvidia  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 12:55 eRe4s3r

Where I live, enrolling someone in a contract change without specific agreement (signed!) makes that contract null and void.... I'd love my ISP to do that, hehe, but I guess German ISP's aren't THAT retarded.  

12143 Comments. 608 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo