Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11415 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 30, 2017, 21:04 eRe4s3r

Think the real reason is that this is a demo functionality, and some devs (probably not endorsed by Steam) said to use this system as such... "Why make a demo, when users can play for basically free 2hrs"

What I worry is that this will (again) make developers make the first 2 hours completely awesome and the next 20 complete untested broken shit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt?
6. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt? Jun 30, 2017, 21:01 eRe4s3r

Kinda sad that lack of leadership and a shitty competitive situation between 2 supposedly cooperative dev teams killed this...

What I am really saying is.. I would be happy with a Mass Effect 2.5, let us play as Quarian or Turian or whatever.. just extend the universe.. I'd buy that as long as the writing quality level of at least ME2 would be maintained...

But it seems Bioware really fucked it up this time ;(

Instead of ME5, we get Dragon Age 4... yay

News Comments > Magic Duels Support Ending
11. Re: Magic Duels Support Ending Jun 30, 2017, 17:50 eRe4s3r

Numinar wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 07:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 18:29:
Numinar wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 23:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 00:07:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 23:22:
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 21:41:
Calling them clowns is being kind.

Indeed, just shows how it's better to be lucky than good. I still don't understand why they even bought it. It was like, they got lucky with MTG, made oodles of money and than just bought a bunch of shit just because they could. I don't think they ever had any actual plans for it. Likely none for MTG either, just coast on the fame and fortune of it. I really wish they'd just sell it already. Someone who really wanted to - and with deep enough pockets - could really make D&D shine again.

WOTC is owned by Hasbro, yes, the Play-Doh Hasbro, and yes, that includes all TSR licenses, and yes, that means HASBRO owns DnD campaigns by the boat-load, and they are not gonna let go of their only profitable games division. From their last revenue reports, WOTC is the only reason Hasbro is even writing positive numbers. So you can guess why MTG Duels was "abandoned" ^^

That is good news! They sound weighted down by owning too much stuff that isn't MTG. They might 'abandon' some other properties and let someone else with a bit of hunger get in on the old TSR properties.

Would love a modern take on Dragonlance of TFR.

Uh, they are already doing that, how do you think Beamdog operates? They have a TSR license from Hasbro. It's why they can remake all the old games. And once that is done, they will likely try to cash in further on the license. After all, those remastered editions are basically free money.

Oh yeah. I forgot about them. Slightly fancy, welcome compatibility re-releases of games I've already paid money for (lots of money in late 90's terms) is hardly taking advantage of the license though.

Sad (/trumpmode), as so much of modern gaming, good and bad, can trace it's routes back to old timey DnD.

Very true, but Hasbro will likely make the MMO a money sink and be extremely focused on that. If you expect real RPG's out of this you will be waiting for a long time sadly ;/

Still, at least Hasbro is USING the licenses it has. Not like Microsoft or Ubisoft.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 30, 2017, 07:13 eRe4s3r

Anyone that got hit by this imo deserved it, data is gone, better have backups ready  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
36. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 22:26 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 21:57:
MeanJim wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 21:45:
You're making it sound like people in wheelchairs have nothing better to do than go around looking for people to sue.

You weren't replying to me, but I'm specifically targeting a specific person in a given area. It isn't like were talking a small percent of, a dozen or whatever. We are talking about a person targeting and being way over the top in how they engage business, city hall dislikes these types as much. I know I have to tip toe here not to sound like a monster, I slant liberal, but it is something you just have to be there to get the gravity of the presentation and then talk to other business to find out repeated antics. Then other areas the same, with either that same person showing up or their likeness. This is far from a proper meeting. As per the usual... right thing gone wrong and it is beyond a ramp or bathroom, it is very meticulous to the point of trolling.

To this I say -> British tourists soon banned from Spain/Cyprus due to troll food poisoning lawsuit epidemic

UK tourists filing fake food poisoning claims without ever visiting a hospital for food poisoning (if you ever HAD food poisoning, you'd know why that is a clear indicator of a scam)

My point is, you need to only look at any legal system with flaws and you find scumbags trying to cash in. This was just the most recent thing, I could list dozens of similar cases, including the one you talk about.

Nobody is contesting that you have a point here, such litigation happy lawyers are always a problem.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 29, 2017, 21:22 eRe4s3r

Holy crap, did they record this on a 1940 magnetic recording machine? Hands down the worst audio quality I ever heard.

(Yeah, sorry if you expected anything related to the content, I just noticed the audio quality and couldn't hear shit, so I can't comment on content ,p)

9. Re: Magic Duels Support Ending Jun 29, 2017, 18:29 eRe4s3r

Numinar wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 23:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 00:07:

Indeed, just shows how it's better to be lucky than good. I still don't understand why they even bought it. It was like, they got lucky with MTG, made oodles of money and than just bought a bunch of shit just because they could. I don't think they ever had any actual plans for it. Likely none for MTG either, just coast on the fame and fortune of it. I really wish they'd just sell it already. Someone who really wanted to - and with deep enough pockets - could really make D&D shine again.

WOTC is owned by Hasbro, yes, the Play-Doh Hasbro, and yes, that includes all TSR licenses, and yes, that means HASBRO owns DnD campaigns by the boat-load, and they are not gonna let go of their only profitable games division. From their last revenue reports, WOTC is the only reason Hasbro is even writing positive numbers. So you can guess why MTG Duels was "abandoned" ^^

That is good news! They sound weighted down by owning too much stuff that isn't MTG. They might 'abandon' some other properties and let someone else with a bit of hunger get in on the old TSR properties.

Would love a modern take on Dragonlance of TFR.

Uh, they are already doing that, how do you think Beamdog operates? They have a TSR license from Hasbro. It's why they can remake all the old games. And once that is done, they will likely try to cash in further on the license. After all, those remastered editions are basically free money.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 18:27 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 17:24:
Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 12:55:
The accessibility thing is nuts. When I opened my first resto - a small 50 seat cafe - we had to install a handicapped bathroom that ate up a lot of necessary funds. In the 5 years I was there I never once saw anyone in a wheelchair come in. I doubt there's ever been someone in a wheelchair come in. I empathize for them but there has to be some common sense applied to the situation.

I'm a believer they have their own organization for this and for every region in Murica, there is that wheelchair person that goes store to store just looking for trouble and heading straight to city hall to report you. If they need it or not... they will just do it.

Yeah, and I am of the firm belief that most people are so emotionally unstable and empathically damaged that they can't grasp why a person that sits in a wheelchair (not by their own choice, fyi) might want to have the possibility of living a normal life and not have to check every single location they visit beforehand whether they can even drive through the fucking door. Which is a very real issue even to this day, if the elevator for the subway is broken down for example, what you gonna do as disabled person? Drive down the stairs? No, you are fucking stuck and have to call a friend, cab or uber, so you better hope that place you are stuck at has cellphone reception. And people sitting in a wheelchair are not disabled, it's the environment that makes them so.

So obviously they are trying to make every location accessible, because if even 1 location is not, then they can't live a normal life

I don't think forcing tiny businesses to invest huge sums of money without state support is the way to go, but 100% wheelchair friendly businesses should definitely be a thing. If it costs too much for business owners then state has to support it.

News Comments > Planet Coaster Free Summer Update
4. Re: Planet Coaster Free Summer Update Jun 28, 2017, 22:16 eRe4s3r

yonder wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 02:47:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 19:25:
Might actually jump into this now... I picked it up when it first released, but it was too sparse with content to really get into. As is usual with FDEV, give them a year or so and it will fill out.

I got a really enjoyable 60-or-so hours out of it, and then I hit the "oh... this is it? Everything from now on is going to be different versions of this one thing?" wall. I hate that that wall exists, but that's reality for ya.

Yeah I still think they should now work on making this an actual game, and not just a park sandbox

6. Re: Magic Duels Support Ending Jun 28, 2017, 00:07 eRe4s3r

1. Re: Magic Duels Support Ending Jun 27, 2017, 19:44 eRe4s3r

I assume Wizard of the Coast hates money, because after this, they might as well jump of a cliff, economically (on Steam)

But hey, that's not surprising from one of the most incompetent digital IP owners of the century. They are the reason that the best fucking fantasy IP to this day has no RPG on PC, no movies, no shows, nothing of value or interest to a young or 30~ audience.

I still remember that MTG game where you traveled on a map, found cards, and battled AI with unique decks. When was that? Oh right, 20 fucking years ago!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2017, 18:26 eRe4s3r

NetHead wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 18:04:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 16:06:
If AMD can keep this up, maybe Ryzen CAN compete with the I7. Im still leaning Intel for my next build, but this is promising. Games in general still rely on higher speeds, fewer cores. If/when that changes, I'll be switching to AMD.

A big help toward that would be getting Unreal and Unity onboard with engines focused on using as many cores as possible.

The thing in, that often small performance advantage hardly ever makes a difference. Virtually everyone plays games with framerates capped at some number, as you should, and unless you're struggling to reach that framerate number that extra performance isn't doing anything. Unless it brings you over that threshold it's a price premium that isn't actually doing anything.

So in game X one CPU can push 160FPS and the other CPU 180FPS, what's the point if your monitor is a 144Hz, or even lower. What's been gained by going for that extra performance and cost. Meanwhile there are other uses which don't suffer in this regard. Compression/decompression, encoding/decoding, general PC multitasking, a world of things that don't have that "cap" and easily benefit from more cores.

Yeah, I'd say install Kerbal Space Program and learn the hard way that frame-rate and sim-rate are 2 things you WILL care about in some games, Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines also come to mind (great FPS, shit sim-rate because everything simulation wise hangs up on 1 thread that sits on 1 core and really needs that 1 core 100%)

While frame-rate is needless above a certain value, sim-rate is latency based, meaning more power = less latency = more sim = more latency. You can never have too many or too fast CPU cores in games that simulate something.

5 times faster CPU cores would mean 5times bigger Cities Skylines map, and instead of a 300 part ship, we could fly a 1500 part ship. Which would be huge, we could suddenly instead of allowing more than 500 parts simulate pressure phenomena, liquid flow calculations, exhaust-gas-behaviors etc.

And especially KSP and Cities Skylines would be depending on Unity making MT easier, more supportive and faster.

So you got it entirely wrong. CPU's have no bearing (beyond a point) on frame-rates, they make however all the difference in the world when you have a SIMULATION rate that you need to keep BELOW the frame-latency otherwise the simulation rate slows down. Meaning what is 1 second of simulation now happens in 2 seconds of real-time.

Frame-rate literally never caps simulation rate in games, in fact in most games that aren't coded by braindead idiots (aka console ports) frame-rate and simulation-rate are disconnected. The reason games don't increase in complexity is that simulation-rate performance of CPU's has not increased substantially until Ryzen 1600 and 1800 released.

8. Re: etc., etc. Jun 27, 2017, 16:05 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 15:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 10:48:
If it made 50k it already made 20k more than 50% of *ALL* indy titles...

Put's that "gigantic failure" into perspective, especially considering it's a VR game. As long as the VR goggles cost more than the GPU's needed to run them this will remain a stagnant market.

It's not strictly a VR game. It only got a beta version of VR support a few days ago... So during the sales period in question you couldn't even use VR with this game.

So they made a walking simulator for VR without VR support on launch? Ok that explains it a bit better... also why Steam never recommended this to me (I hate walking simulators)

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 27, 2017, 16:03 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 15:44:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 15:23:
A lot of people in prison for narcotics are not addicts but sellers or non addicts possessing.
I'm fairly certain it has been shown multiple times there are a lot of people in prison for very minor usage and possession convictions due to mandatory sentencing laws...

It has also been shown that punishment is not a deterrent when the causes of crime is social or economic.

6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 27, 2017, 10:48 eRe4s3r

If it made 50k it already made 20k more than 50% of *ALL* indy titles...

Put's that "gigantic failure" into perspective, especially considering it's a VR game. As long as the VR goggles cost more than the GPU's needed to run them this will remain a stagnant market.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2017, 18:46 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 12:05:
Call flooding was priceless.

One of the best pieces of entertainment ever made imo. It should be a 24/7 live-stream with alternating scammer numbers and he'd be rolling in money. Heck, I would support that.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 11:56 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 11:43:
Putting up the whole thing as collateral for a secured loan? Must have run into some desperate financial straits. I wonder why? Don't they make a ton of money selling Shark Cards fake ships?

They put the IP up for collateral, mind telling us, oh great economic advisor, what else a development studio making 1 game owns aside from that?

And a bank would not "sit on the IP" and throw it away if RSI walked away. That IP is only worth something when you actually finish the project, and a bank would 100% offload this to a new developer to salvage the collateral. So in a sense, this is actually making sure this game (at least SQ42) will actually release

What the true news here is... well, that is that Derek Smart does apparently not know how loans work nowadays. And that is imo pretty shocking.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Video Tease
2. Re: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Video Tease Jun 24, 2017, 21:53 eRe4s3r

Guess as a marketing tool for the Q&A/reveal stream it serves a purpose though. Whether the game is worth all that.. well...  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 24, 2017, 13:29 eRe4s3r

The joke is that a company will be legally responsible for breaking the law in the EU if it follows the US court decisions. And good luck trying to weasle out of this one, German customer data is protected by EU customer protection laws, we don't give a fuck what a US court decides here. Either the US government makes a deal with the EU, or US companies will be separate legal entities here.

The way not to solve this is the way the Trump administration does it. And ask yourself this, why would Google violate EU laws where it can end up getting literally BANNED just to conform to some idiotic US law that doesn't even have validity in the jurisdiction that sister company sits? This entire court case makes no sense. Is the US government seriously saying that it's own companies should violate international law, WTO law, and nearly a thousand multi-national agreements?

And remember, Trump is the reason there is no data exchange agreement, he let it run out demanding a "better deal" to which the EU said "no deal" and now every company is fucked. "Which law do we violate" shouldn't be a needed decision for a company.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2017, 13:46.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans
12. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans Jun 24, 2017, 10:33 eRe4s3r

D4rkKnight wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 22:35:
Because I wouldn't use Win10 as a primary OS unless its gutted of Microsoft's spyware. If the games are going to require it then it's boot to play and shut down after.

How is Win10 free to register? I see it going for $92 on Amazon. You can run it essentially forever without buying the license without personalization options but I'm not sure about their store.

The store is actually trying to maliciously (imo) trick you into converting your "local" user profile into a "online MS" profile when you first open the store.

To not have this occur, you need to actually (and very very carefully) open the store via start menu, and in this dialog here http://i.imgur.com/wynq5b1.png pick the marked thing, and NEVER EVER ENTER YOUR WINDOWS PASSWORD

If you give this at any time your actual Windows password (used for local account) MS will convert that to a online account, with all the privacy issues this entails.

And yes, this is another one of "those" GUI elements that are specifically and maliciously designed to trick the unsuspecting.

11415 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo